A Twist on the Road

Midsummer Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Knock knock knock.

“Yesung-ssi, I’m sorry to interrupt your rest but lunch is ready~” The muffled voice of the (handsome) caretaker passed through his empty mind. He didn’t realize that he got too caught up in his musings that all his clothes were still left unpacked. Just as he was choosing whether to eat or to unpack; his stomach grumbled their apparent protest of not getting anything since this morning. ‘Screw diet for now. I’m gonna eat like a pig!’ With an excited gait…he hurried downstairs towards the humble dining area.

 

He can almost smell the boiled scallions, Korean chili paste and sesame oil; ‘Ah finally~ it’s been a while since I ate a homecooked meal.’ He sat on a chair facing the spotless looking kitchenette. Siwon’s broad back and clear window were visible to him. If anyone would walk-in on them, they’ll probably look so domestic. There are two sets of everything on the table: pair of chopsticks and spoon, a small plate, rice bowl each and a side plate of kimchi for them to share. Yesung kind of had a feeling that he’ll be spending every meal within this house with the caretaker. ‘Well, at least it wouldn’t be THAT lonely.’

 

The beep from the stove and Siwon’s hum of approval seemed to signal that their meal is already finished. Yesung’s mouth was watering from anticipation! As the taller man placed the covered brass pot in front of them, Siwon made a show as to mime those butler-ish gestures he saw from TV. He placed his left hand at his back and bowed to his guest; his other hand on the handle of the lid. With a flourish, the caretaker lifted the lid with an exaggerated VIOLA! He was definitely right about the scallions and the sesame oil but he really didn’t expect to see this dish here in Jeju-do. Instead of chili paste, Siwon used chili powder and there was cabbage, sausage, spam, tteok, eggs and that familiar ramen noodles. “ARMY stew?! You really made an army stew here in Jeju-do?!”

 

He looked upwards to the confident smile of his caretaker. “Yes! This is my special Army Stew, fresh from the military! It’s the only thing I learned how to make last year~” Siwon cheekily seated down on the opposite side of a really flabbergasted Yesung and started munching on his kimchi. Yesung was gaping at him like a fish out of the water while Siwon was staring back at him innocently. “Don’t worry Yesung-ssi! Even if seafoods are really cheap here, I don’t dare put any of it here. One is that I have zero idea how to clean them and have zero idea of cooking anything besides ramen and fried egg.”

 

“I…but you’re a caretaker right? Shouldn’t you know how to cook? Among other things?” is this guy a fraud or what?! Shindong’s playing an ugly prank on him. “Eh? Yesung-ssi~ I only take care of the maintenance of the house and this is just my part-time work. Usually our guests would come in groups and eat out during their stay. I’m just here doing the chores and watching over the garden. You’re our first ever guest who rented out this place alone!” Yesung doesn’t want to admit it but that’s a point well made. With a soft apology towards the man, he thanked him for the meal and started digging in. Both ate in silence, the other ones thankful for finally having a meal in his always empty stomach. The saxophonist was expecting the awkward silence between them but lo and behold, his caretaker is one heck of an easygoing person.

A/n: I’ll be putting a quick banter between the two so I’m sorry if you guys would get confused during this part. This is mostly Siwon asking while Yesung answered him >.<

 

                “Yesung-ssi~ how does it taste?” “Just like a normal army stew.”

 

                “Thank God! Last time I made it…Shindong hyung fainted.” Cough “BWEOH?!”

 

                “You see~ I wanted to make it extra special for Shindong hyung but then…it made me realize how incredible our country’s chili paste is.” Stare. “…that could’ve have killed him Siwon-ssi.”

 

                “Funny you mentioned, the doctor said that too. How old are you Yesung-ssi? I’m an ’86-er” slurp, munch, swallow “Is that even a word? ’84 so that’s Yesung HYUNG for you kid.”

 

                “I’m a kid?! Suddenly?? But okay hyung~ what are your plans here in Jeju?” “Nothing and anything I guess…and composing.”

 

                “Hyung want to go together?” Another long stare “…No.”

 

                “Aww come on hyung~ I’ll show you the best places around here! Free of charge and I know a guy who’s really good with piano too!” Tempting but “No. I need to find my inspiration here in Jeju-do, alone. Sorry Siwon-ssi.”

 

                “Okay hyung.” Good “Glad you understand.”

 

                “I’ll just ask agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter