Urges

Urges
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was unbearable. She tossed and turned for over an hour before giving in, the pain becoming too much to bear. She stumbled out of bed, not even bothering to look at the clock. Going into her bathroom, she hit the light switch and cringed. Too bright.

Leaning on the sink she opened wide, trying to get a good look at her teeth in the mirror. They were all there. Pearly white and perfectly straight from two painful years of orthodontic work. But her teeth weren't what she was looking for. Well they were, but two in particular that were causing her so much grief.

Her canines, one on each side, were getting bigger. She was sure of it. Each night she'd fall asleep and be woken up with this pain from those two teeth. And each time she got up and stumbled into the bathroom to look at them she'd see them grow that little bit closer to her bottom teeth.

To say she was worried was an understatement. It wasn't normal. She knew that. Most people's teeth stop doing things when they were kids. But she couldn't say it to anyone. It was too abnormal. So instead she put up with the pain until it subsided enough for her to get a little more sleep.

As she walked downstairs towards the kitchen she thought about her teeth. Why did it only happen at night? They were fine during the day. She could eat and drink whatever she liked and feel nothing. Grabbing the milk carton from the shelf, she brought it to and drank not even bothering to get a glass.

Not that she needed one. The carton was empty by the time she lowered it from her face. She hadn't realised she was that thirsty. And the funny thing was she still wasn't satisfied. She really wanted more milk. But that was all there had been in the house.

Before she knew what she was doing she had grabbed her purse and car keys of her mother’s car and was out the door on her way to the convenience store. The road was empty which was acceptable given the time. Pulling up beside the only other car in the lot, a rusted blue pick-up, she hopped out onto the dusty asphalt. She was in her pajamas and slippers but she was positive the store clerk wouldn't notice or care given it was after 3 a.m. Chances are he'd seen weirder.

She decided to get two cartons in case there was a repeat of her sudden craving and her mother didn't have any milk for his morning coffee. She did not need that headache tomorrow.

As she walked back towards the front of the store where the cashier was she passed the only other customer in the place; an older man wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. He was tall, taller than her and had a thick mane of black hair. She didn't know him, never seen him before in her life. But she had the sudden and immense urge to bite him. Right in the neck.

Time slowed, to the point where she could hear her heart beat. Or maybe it was his, calling out to her, telling her to just do it. Bite him. Imagine how great it would feel.

"Yo? You in there?"

The voice of the cashier completely broke her trance. It was good too since she was genuinely about to maul the stranger on aisle three. Mumbling a reply, she fumbled with her purse before shoving some bills into his hand and walking back to her car quickly.

Once there, she tried to calm herself. What was that in there? Does this happen to other people? Is it normal to daydream about ripping out a man's throat? Her hands were shaking slightly. Not surprising. She took the drive home a little slower trying simultaneously to think about what had happened but not think too much about it.

She finished off another carton of milk as she sat on the sofa. The pain in had lessened since her trip to the store and back. She decided to sleep. Going now would give her a good three hours before she had to get up for school. And a good four hours if she decided to go in late to class.

She was late for class of course. Not that she minded. It was math. Wheein would help her with whatever she missed. Perks of dating a brainlord. It was hard to concentrate on anything. She was currently in Spanish… or maybe it was English. She looked at the board to see that it was, in fact, History. Her mind was preoccupied with what had happened last night.

The bell finally rang and she walked to her locker in some sort of a trance, playing through the scene in her head over and over. She wasn't an obsessive person so this was new. There were literally two things she constantly thought about; music and her girlfriend. Having something else invading her mind was… annoying.

"Hey. I didn't see you in math. Are you okay?"

Speaking of her girlfriend. She turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter