When In Greece - Fin

When In Greece

Wendy exhaled the cigarette smoke into the cold air of the busy plaza. Taking another swig of her beer bottle she smiled as she cheered along the chant her high school classmates started.

 

The drunk teenagers were causing ruckus to the locals but couldn’t give a as they were faced. Wendy hooted and sang to her hearts content and wrapped her arm around her giant roommate.

 

“BEST ING SCHOOL TRIP EVER!!” the latter pushed the girl off of her and chuckled at a drunk hamster.

 

“Yeah yeah, just calm down with the cigs. You’re finishing your second pack of Marlboro Gold in the space of a week. Not like you to chain it.”

 

“ off Sooyoung, I’m not a chainy and Gold is top quality tabacco, you’ll never find me smoking Marlboro Reds so might as well be boujee with it. Anyways when am I going to get an opportunity like this again huh? We’re just twelve kids from a posh boarding school in the busiest plaza in Athens. The world is literally at our grasp. You think Socrates just watched life go by? no he took that swig of poison with NO RAGRETS”

 

The tall one held her head “you and your internet references.”

 

“don’t lie you love it.” The smaller one giggled on the verge of tipsy-ness after her third bottle of beer. The life of a heavyweight.

 

The older one smirked at her younger friend whilst lighting up another cig with her ‘I LOVE ATHENS’ lighter she bought a couple of days ago but soon felt a weight on her shoulder.

 

“Hey Wendy.” Seulgi, the flirtiest girl on the trip who was equally as drunk and filled with smoke as Wendy purred in the other’s ear.

 

“Ugh I don’t want to leave; I love it here. Don’t you think my tan looks fab?” the monolided beauty winked at the gobsmacked girl who just replied with a uhhhhh…

 

Don’t get her wrong, Seulgi was her good friend but if she turned around and said ‘Yo Wendy, let’s hook up.’ Wendy would not think twice. She is one of the most peng girls in school after all.

 

After a few more giggles were exchanged between the group, the group’s curfew was approaching quicker and they aimed to head back to the hotel in the next fifteen minutes.

 

Suddenly, a vendor approached the kids and initiated the usual small talk ‘how are you?’ ‘where are you guys from?’ all that jazz. He was selling roses and was quite persistent despite the groups disinterest.

 

He came up to Wendy and offered her a rose “usually three euro but for pretty girl like you I give you for two euro.”

 

“ahh no, thank you but that’s really not necessary”

 

“why? You no like my roses?”

 

“of course not, we’re flying back home tomorrow and I wouldn’t want the flower to wilt and go to waste.”

 

Wendy started to get impatient at this point and kind of just wanted the guy to leave her and her friends alone.

 

“how old are you?”

 

“too young for you.” Wendy deadpanned and looked proud as her group of friends laughed. The guy still insisted and Wendy reached into her pocket, gave the guy a two euro coin and asked him politely to off.

 

“, what am I to do with this now?”

 

“why don’t you give it to a pretty girl because you’re hella ing single and could use an ego boost. How about this, you give it to a girl successfully and I’ll buy your next pack of cigs”

 

“wow. Great friendly advice, first you scolded me for smoking too much and now you want to bet another pack, .” Wendy snickered under her breath away from Sooyoung’s ears.

 

I mean it’s not bad advice so what have I got to lose.

 

“alright, you’re on” Wendy shook the others hand and the rest of the students just hooted.

 

Wendy started searching the plaza looking for a girl similar in age, height and somewhat pretty, she knew it wasn’t a big deal but if things did go her way she would have fancied for it to be with a person who is preferably not clapped.

 

Sooyoung bought her another beer to help her confidence levels because everything is better when you’re off your face or everything is funnier in Sooyoung’s case. The black haired girl hoped this would go incredibly south so she could friend for the rest of her life and hoped to get it on camera.

 

Wendy’s friends helped her find some girls to approach but she was being quite picky because her Gaydar was not picking up any guaranteed levels of queerness with the contenders they presented. In order to pick the right girl, she needed a few requirements:

 

  1. If they’re with a guy (who does not tingle her gaydar) then they are most likely straight and that is either her boyfriend or a guy friend and she did not want to get involved with that.
  2. If they’re with another girl then it is possibly that they’re already the existing girlfriend and did not want to get involved with that either. She ain’t no homewrecker, I mean if it was her girl getting approached by someone with a rose Wendy would be throwing hands left, right and centre.
  3. So they must be alone, that was her only conclusion.

 

After a few more minutes her eyes began to hurt looking at the many people in the square, attempting to find the perfect person. The group also suggested to hurry as it was already eleven fifty and they had to be back by twelve and the walk was a solid 8 minutes. Just as she was looking her eyes saw the embodiment of Aphrodite walk into the busy square.

 

A Korean beauty with raven hair wearing white trainers with a trendy red sundress under an oversized beige blazer with rolled up cuffs. She had a tan wicket bag strapped across her chest and looked as cute as a daisy but her ‘resting face’ attracted Wendy to her even more.

 

“I found her.” The cheers behind her and the pats on her back caused her to chug her beer and let her feet take her to the goddess. , I’m dizzy. Just don’t this up otherwise you’ll get so much for it when you go back to school.

 

Coming face to face with the similar heighted girl the other had her head down and apologized thinking she bumped into the other and stepped around the figure but bumped into the other again, looking up she saw this teenager with a goofy grin on.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Umm, hi?” the raven haired winced as she smelt cigarettes and alcohol on the other’s breath and took a reflex step back but the other took a step forward invading her personal space. Jeez what is with this kid?

 

Annoyed, the raven hair spoke up.

 

“Look, I’m guessing you’re Korean so to put it nicely. Leave me alone kid” the beauty said in a cold tone in her mother tongue but the blonde just pouted cutely.

 

“Wha- Kid? I’m turning eighteen in six months! You can’t be that old, I bet we’re born in the same year? How old are you?” she slurred slightly

 

“Have your parents never told you about stranger danger?”

 

“I mean, they have but you’re so pretty.. *sigh* I just had to approach you, sorry for disturbing you.” The blonde looked down dejectedly and started turning her body away making the raven hair feel guilty. So, she grabbed the other’s wrist and gave her a smile.

 

“You’re right I just turned eighteen last month, I’m on my gap year travelling Europe.”

 

“AHH cool!! I’m Wendy by the way. Korean name: Son Seungwan.” Wendy rubbed her nape awkwardly as her boyish birthname made the other giggle.

 

“Hmm, nice to meet you Seungwan-ah, I’m Joohyun but I go by Irene.”

 

“How fitting, goddess of peace.” Seungwan goofily smirked and wiggled her eyebrows which made the other smile too.

 

Meanwhile, Joy and the others were squealing their heads off and filming the exchange. But realising the time someone said “, we have to back at the hotel in five minutes or Mr Lee would have our arses.” The students looked quite comical drinking the remainders of their alcohol and running/ stumbling out of the square back to the hotel. Joy stopped filming and ran past the blonde tapping her shoulder signalling her to hurry.

 

Wendy suddenly realised the time and looked at the rose then the girl.

 

“Uhh listen, I can’t believe I’m doing this it was a bet at first but now, ugh. I don’t even know if you’re gay or not but whatever. Basically, I’m drunk, you’re pretty… do you want my rose?” the hamster asked hesitantly but in one breathe which amazed the other and held out the rose hoping her feelings wouldn’t be crushed.

 

Irene just giggled at her cuteness and took the rose “Oh,how kind of you Seungwan-ah. And to ease your worries, yes I’m gay too and single” she whispered the last bit.

 

“Awesome well, I’m glad that the rose in now in safe hands, but you know what would also be safe with you… my number.” Seungwan smirked and smiled at the other’s bunny like cackle.

 

“Jesus, that was greasy but why not.” She took the others phone and the two took a selfie together for the contact icon. Seungwan was now shaking her leg with anticipation and needed to get back to the hotel but didn’t want this night to end.

 

“Joohyun, as much as I would want to stay and I really do… I have to go.” Both had dejected faces on.

 

“When do you guys fly back?”

 

“Tomorrow.”

 

“Oh”

 

“Oh indeed.” Joohyun looked into those eyes again and took the younger's hand and started rubbing it.

 

“Well despite meeting five minutes ago, I enjoyed our little chat. Bet from your friends or not. I think you won today Seungwan-ah.” The other just giggled and agreed. The two shared one hug and Joohyun gave a shy peck to the other's cheek as she bid hergoodbye. Seungwan was red but so happy that she skipped off and fist pumped the air in victory in the direction of her friends who gave Joohyun a thumbs up.

 

Cute

 

“Joohyun, I’ll text you when I get back to the hotel!” Seungwan shouted as she ran off with her little legs.

 

-----

 

“Well I’m glad you all enjoyed yourselves. We leave in tomorrow morning, so I suggest you get some sleep as we have another early morning call tomorrow.” The students groaned and all went to their rooms congratulating Wendy and such.

 

Before going into their room, Joy and Wendy visited Yerim who was bed-ridden and couldn’t go out with them. They entered her room and fell on the stiff beds.

 

“I bet it was boring without me” the youngest sniffed through her blocked nose.

 

Seungwan hummed but Joy disagreed “It was boring, until our useless Wannie here chirped up Miss Korea.”

 

“WHAT?! What’s her name, age, social security number?!”

 

“Omg one question at a time, young one.” The blonde sighed as she looked up at the ceiling and thought of the beautiful raven.

 

“Her name is Joohyun, she’s on her gap year and three months other than me, she’s going to be attending Seoul National University this September doing a course in international relations and politics, coincidently that is the same course I am doing at the same university which means we’ll be in the same year-group and class… I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Also, I’ve decided that I am totally, utterly in love with her and that she’s the girl of my dreams” Seungwan stated too causally for the others liking.

 

“Woah there buddy, you may be drunk but you talked to her for literally five minutes.”

 

Wendy sat up and huffed “It was your bet in the first place anyway, you owe me another pack.” Sooyoung just rolled her eyes with a yeah whatever ungrateful brat.

 

“She’s so dreamy”

 

“I THINK OLAF’S IN LOVE” the younger pair giggled and took the piss out of the other.

 

I need to see her again Seungwan thought and pulled out her phone to text the other.

 

S: Hey this is Seungwan aka Wendy. Joohyun right?

 

J: Seungwan-ah I’m glad you texted me.

 

S: I’m glad I met you. I’m not going to lie, I can’t get you out of my head.

 

Wendy winced when she saw the three dots appear and disappear on the screen.

 

J: is it crazy that I was thinking the same thing.

 

Wendy puffed her chest in confidence and made a bold move.

 

S: Are you free now?

 

J: I thought you had a curfew?

 

S: I do but I’m willing to take the risk and sneak out if it means I get to see you again.

 

J: Greasy much?

 

S: Call me greasy Wan

 

J: alright greasy Wan, yes I am free now.

 

S: perfect, I’m going to wait until my teacher heads to bed and I’ll meet you back in the square. Are you ok to wait for about half an hour?

 

J: I don’t mind, I’ll wait forever if I get to see you again.

 

S: Who’s the greasy one now?

 

Seungwan wiggled her eyebrows.

 

J: Oh, piss off you little minx. Okay, I’m going to be at the café in the square where we met and read a book until you get here. See you soon and be careful x

 

S: Will do x

 

Seungwan threw her phone onto the bed and squealed kicking her feet in the air like a child.

 

“jOoHyUn, I lOvE yOu sOO mUch” 

 

“ShEE’S sooo DreaMy” they teased the other.

 

“LET A SISTER LIVE !! Anyway, tease me all you want but at the end of the day I’m the one whose going out to meet the fittest girl in twenty minutes whilst you two babies are going to be talking to your mummies whishing them a good night whilst the only ‘mommy’ I’m going to be with is my future girlfriend.”

 

“WHAT?! Wan if Mr Lee catches you, you’re a goner.”

 

“Don’t worry about be younglings, trust in your swag unnie” the others groaned. She made her way back to her room almost ready to go. But panicked when she saw another text from Joohyun.

 

J: Also, when you do see me… maybe have some gum because as cute as you are I can’t stand the smell of alcohol and cigarette breath xx

 

 

Seungwan had about fifteen minutes so she quickly jumped into the shower and brushed her teeth whilst washing her hair and body trying to scrub away the scent as she wanted to impress the girl not push her away. As she was drying her hair and getting dressed she heard Joy wish good night to Mr Lee and smiled as she was now clear to go. Spraying some perfume on and winking at herself in the mirror she exited the bathroom.

 

“Well Sooyoung, I’m off. I’ll try and be back before sunrise but can’t promise anything. Who knows I might get lucky.” She wiggled her eyebrows

 

“Gross, just be back before breakfast. I’ll cover for you but at a price of course.

 

“How about not buying me that pack of cigs, saves you money and save my lungs” she chuckled which the younger agreed to.

 

“You must be really whipped for her if you’re already cutting down on your smoking.”

 

“YAH!!”

 

-----

 

Tiptoeing out of her hotel room and closing it with a quiet shut, Seungwan became nervous with her escape plan. She tried to jump the window but cherished her life so that wasn’t an option so the only way was through the hotel lobby. Walking on the floorboards carefully, she held her breath when walking past Mr Lee’s room trying to be silent as possible once she made it past she sighed in relief and bolted it. She had a hat on to hide her face from the concierge in case they recognised her. Running to the square as fast as she can, the girl of her dreams on the line.

 

She entered the busy plaza at around quarter to one and caught her breathe before searching round the cafés. It was ridiculous and insane how Wendy was willing to get her arse beat by her teacher or even get lost in a foreign city all for this girl she talked to for five minutes. She could be a murdered for all Wendy knew, but she chose to trust her because hey, love at first sight makes you do crazy things… right?

 

Once she saw the breath-taking raven haired girl, she instantly smiled and ran to her with all her might.

 

“Hyun !” she called out an received a wave from the other who called her over.

 

Because seeing that stunning smile made the eyebags the next morning absolutely worth it.

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

This is my first lengthy author’s note so yeah, cheers to that I guess (gosh that was cringe). Anyways,just thought I’d give a little backstory to this one-shot. So basically, I was in Greece for a week long school trip and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The country is so beautiful and I highly recommend going if you love Mediterranean culture, classic civilisation study, Greek mythology… anything really, Greece is just awesome. On our last night, we were given quite a bit of leniency so my friends and I were all piss drunk having a good time and once I bought the rose from the persistent vendor I was like whatever, I’m hella single might as well give it to a pretty girl. The moral of the story is that I was not like Wendy at all in the situation and it is easier said than done ;) I mean I got a girls number and she thought I was cute but I wasn’t daring enough to sneak out afterwards. But she was cool I guess and we still kind of text but yeah… basically that situation kind of just reminded me that I am this ball of gay panic but it was banter at the end of the day ! So, hope you enjoyed this quick one-shot it’s honestly so badly written but I just thought wenrene would be so cute in this kind of circumstance because Son Seungwan is a living goofball. Apologise for some of the English slang language used so for those who are confused when reading (peng = really hot and clapped = really ing ugly and chirps = flirt) hahah lol, cheeky bit of roadman language that’s well peak (okay I’m going to stop because the England is literally jumping out). BUT do let me know what you think in the comments, upvotes are also appreciated !! THANKS Y’ALL … BYEEEE <3