[1]

roommates? (it's temporary.)

When she gets the text, she all but flees from the classroom.

Sure, it’s a tutorial and all. But she’s already in the top percentile of the class and potentially missing out on 5% of her grade isn’t likely to pull her A+ down to an A-, loath as she would be to get anything less than an A. (Somewhere, Yeri's voice is snide in her head as she points out that they were all on exchange and none of their grades mattered,) but this was more important.

It takes her five minutes to hail a cab. Five hand-clenching, traffic-cursing minutes.

By the time she sprints into the white halls of the hospital, Sooyoung’s giving her this weird attempt at a smile as the nurse nags her for the last time. Seungwan’s the one who helps Sooyoung fill in the papers for Sooyoung’s discharge. Thank god that she had insisted that they all buy a decent amount of insurance for their foray here.

Park Sooyoung. Female. 3rd September 1996.

Oh. My.

“It’s going to be your birthday soon!”

Sooyoung sighs. “Yes, no Sherlock. Now can we get going?”

“Yes, yes, thanks, Ms Lee!” She bows frantically at the nurse as she scurries to grab the white straps that Sooyoung’s holding up, hefting the tote bag onto her bony shoulders. “How are you feeling? Have the painkillers kicked in and stuff? What happened?”

Sooyoung laughs, then winces as well. The painkillers obviously weren’t doing their job and Seungwan is torn between marching into one of the offices to give them a piece of her mind, but that, she would have to leave Sooyoung for a bit to do that… and no. Just. Calm down, Son Seungwan.

“Just a mild car accident. See, I’m all fine! They did the scans and stuff. Doctors say it’s just a moderate back sprain. Hey, Seungwan, I’m really okay. You don’t have to check my shoulders or anything! The doctors have done that already.”

“Still…” Seungwan looks at Sooyoung. But Sooyoung simply gives her a sardonic brow raise. Just two seconds of an injection of her well-used judgment. And so she relents. Just slightly. “I’ll grab dinner with you today, okay?”

(In truth, Sooyoung will never object to that suggestion. Seungwan, having dinner with her? Lord, help her.)

 

========

 

They soon realise they’ve run into an interesting conundrum when Sooyoung wakes up the next day and went to class without eating breakfast.

Her stomach’s the one that betrays her, and Seungwan, ever alert to all things Park Sooyoung, notices. They are in that one class that Seungwan shares with the freshman. Seungwan’s fingers fly over her keyboard, scribbling down notes in their shared Google Document. Seungwan’s not usually this distracted, but today, she’s playing with her fingers.

 

From: wendy-unnie

(09:42): did you eat???

[09:42]: no

(09:42): why not?!

[09:43]: er.

[09:49]: hey, is the prof asking us to write a paper?

(09:51): yeah. 1500 words. due next week. topic isn’t set.

[09:51]: what are you going to write about?

(09:52): dunno. maybe about the actual authenticity of tourist experiences in those tours that are purported to be authentic? but he says you can actually write stuff about… anything… really…

(09:52): also wtf don’t distract me why didn’t you eat

[09:53]: *sighs*

[09:53]: couldn’t reach the shelf

[09:53]: lol

 

At this, Seungwan’s brows hitch up. “What?” she whispers. Then it dawns on her. Sooyoung watches the way Seungwan’s mouth purses into that little O of realisation.  

 

========

 

Seungwan doesn’t really take no for an answer.

It’s ridiculous, how Sooyoung just stood there, gapping, as she lets Seungwan into her apartment. Seungwan’s tiny frame has just lugged in a duffle bag (probably filled with clothes), her leather backpack (filled with the usual), her laptop case, a steamer, and a frying pan.

“Seungwan-unnie?” She begins, quizzically. “What…”

“I’m going to stay here for a week. You don’t mind, do you? What with your injury and all. And then you can’t… even reach for your cereal.” Seungwan sets her stuff down gingerly on the counter. “And since your roommate’s gone running off to gallivant around Melbourne, there’s no one around to help you out.”

“How did you even hear that Yerimie’s gonna be away for that long?”

Seungwan makes a sound. “Please. I know she didn’t tell the rest of us, but she posted on Insta about it. Anyway. Gosh. Your shelves are pretty tall. How does Yeri reach them?”

“She doesn’t.”

“You guys usually order takeout.” Seungwan doesn’t miss a beat.

Sooyoung tries to deny this for approximately four seconds. Then gives up. “Yeah, we do. I would help you with your . But you know. Doctor’s orders.”

Seungwan smiles beatifically at Sooyoung, whose heart stops for three microseconds. “I’ve got this.”

Impulsively, Sooyoung suggests, “You know. You can sleep in my bed if you want.”

She may or may not have instantaneously regretted it. Wanted to take it back. She might never fall asleep if Seungwan’s sleeping in her bed because her heart would be too busy sprinting down an Olympic track or something.

But Seungwan’s reaction stops any rising panic: her eyes are wide, entirely circular and her face has rearranged itself into a perfect description of the deer in headlights phrase.

Finally, she manages to stutter, “I think I will just take the couch!”

She’s not that merciful. “You sure? My bed’s pretty comfy. I would hate for your back to be ruined.”

“No, no, no, I’m going to be here for a week or more and I cannot possibly impose—”

“Come on, Seungwan-unnie—”

“But—”

Okay, she’s tortured her long enough. “Fine. Invitation’s going to be open whenever you want to take it up though!”

She watches as Seungwan gulps.