The Short Way Home

The Short Way Home

It had been only four months of utter marital bliss, but for the last couple of weeks Tao had begun to act strangely. Yifan didn’t mind and didn’t ask why - Tao would tell him if and  when he wanted to.

It started when Tao decided to stop drinking alcohol. “I’m going on a diet,” Tao announced, when Yifan suggested opening a bottle of wine at the end of the week. “You drink though,” he added, picking out a vintage he knew Yifan was partial to. Yifan didn’t question it, though he wondered if Tao would be able to keep it up - his beloved could drink the strongest of livers under the table, and enjoyed doing so on a regular basis. (Two hours later, the diet was apparently forgotten as Tao stuffed himself full of ice cream in front of the tv, spooning the occasional bite into Yifan’s waiting mouth. Yifan held Tao against himself contentedly, secretly amused and wondering when Tao would come clean with him.)

“Caffeine addiction is a real thing,” Tao said a few days after that, when he drank milk instead of coffee for breakfast. He still used their matching mugs, and that was all that Yifan cared about on that matter.

“Diet,” he said again the next day, when Yifan wondered at the lack of bacon for Tao’s  breakfast, and again when Tao didn’t want barbecue for dinner. “I’m cutting down on meat,” he said, and Yifan raised his eyebrows suspiciously, but asked nothing further. (For the Japan leg of their honeymoon, Tao had eaten so much wagyu that even Yifan had been a little concerned.)

“You don’t even like kale,” Yifan said when he saw Tao trying desperately to eat one of the few stalks that he had stir-fried as a side dish. “It’s too bitter for you.”

“It’s healthy,” Tao said, lips pursed into a determined pout. Yifan smiled fondly, reaching over to hold Tao’s hand and press a kiss to his knuckles.

“Baby, don’t force yourself. That’s the last thing I want.”

Tao’s answering smile was so soft, so tender, the sparkle in his eyes dazzling as Yifan tugged Tao into his lap. A few heated kisses later, Tao was whimpering so sweetly against his lips that Yifan had to hold back from sweeping everything off the dinner table and taking Tao right there. Instead, he hauled Tao into his arms, hurrying to their bedroom and  tossing him onto their bed before devouring him whole. (His beloved had cooked him the meal, and Yifan would savour every bite of it, even the bitter kale that Tao so despised.)

Things had taken a decidedly bad turn, however, when Yifan found Tao’s wushu equipment missing from their usual spot. “Baby? Where did all your stuff go?”

“Hm?” Tao poked his head into their little home gym. “Oh.” The light in his eyes dimmed a little before Tao gave a determined shake of his head. “Wushu is dangerous,” he said. “Risk of...risk of injury.” His hands rested over his abdomen, but Yifan was too concerned about the fact that Tao was giving up something that he so clearly loved.

“Is something wrong?” he asked. “Did you - are you hurt?”

“No,” Tao said shiftily, refusing to look Yifan in the eyes as Yifan drew him closer, clearly worried.

“Baby,” he murmured, pressing tender kisses to Tao’s ready lips, “don’t worry so much about getting pregnant, alright? It’ll happen when it happens.”

Tao froze up in his arms, pulling back to ask “You knew?”

Yifan couldn’t help his laugh. “My love, of course I knew. I know everything about you.”

“You could have told me you knew,” Tao pouted.

“I wanted to wait until you were ready to tell me,” Yifan said, breathing in Tao’s sweet scent as Tao relaxed against him.

“I just wanted to be prepared,” Tao murmured into his shoulder. “You know it’s harder for carriers to get pregnant, and I know how much you -”

“No,” Yifan said immediately. “What I want is your happiness. I want children, yes, but I want a family with you. You come first before anything. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, we can look at other options.”

Tao sniffled. “Yifan, you’re too good to me.”

“Nothing is ever too good for you, my love, least of all me.”

Tao’s fist hit him on the chest lightly. “Yifan,” he whined.

“And hey, you know what?”

“What?”

Yifan leaned down with a smirk. “We’ll just have to do it ten times as much to make up for it.”

Before Tao could even answer, he found himself pressed against the wall and kissed so thoroughly that he only remained upright because of Yifan’s tight grip on him.

O.o o.O

“You’re looking a bit peaky,” Yifan said worriedly when Tao had trouble waking up one morning.

“I have the worst headache,” Tao said, nose blocked and face pale. “Feel dizzy.”

“Doesn’t seem like you have a fever, but stay in bed today,” Yifan said, sitting on the side of the bed and a gentle hand through Tao’s hair. “Let’s see how you feel later and I can take you to the doctor, alright?”

“I’ll be fine,” Tao said, though he very clearly wasn’t.

“Shh, just go back to sleep and get some rest. I’ll have the housekeeper prepare you lunch also.”

“Oh no,” Tao frowned. “I was going to make you a packed lunch.” Tao reached up to hold Yifan’s hand and rub his cheek into the palm. “You have that big meeting this afternoon.”

“I’ll call after and tell you all about it.” Yifan gave him a series of soft kisses, unwilling to leave until Tao patted him lightly on the chest.

“Go to work,” he said. “If you leave now you’ll still have time to get to the bakery before your favourite muffins are sold out.”

“I can skip breakfast,” Yifan murmured.

“Nooooo,” Tao whined. “You’ll be hungry.”

“Alright, alright.” Yifan pressed one last kiss to Tao’s perfectly pink bow lips, sighing as he stood from the bed.

“Yifan?”

“Hm?” Yifan turned back at the door.

“Work hard today,” Tao said shyly, still so bashful after months of marriage. “I know you’ll do well in the meeting.”

Yifan smiled, resisting the way every nerve in his body screamed to go back to Tao, so beautiful in their bed, wrapped up all snug and warm. “I will. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

O.o o.O

Tao had initially planned on sleeping the day away as Yifan had told him to, but he tossed and turned endlessly as the thought of Yifan’s meeting loomed at the very forefront of his thoughts.

Since they had begun dating, Tao had made packed lunches whenever Yifan had some important work going on that day. It was Tao’s little way of sending encouragement and to let Yifan know he had Tao’s support, especially when there was nothing he could actually do to help Yifan with his burdens. He had never skipped a day, and Tao did not want this to be a first.

So even with his head pounding so hard it echoed in his temples, Tao dragged himself out of bed, the rice cooker, and got to work, waving away the housekeeper when she popped in to offer her help. There were neatly sliced tamagoyaki, unsweetened as Yifan preferred, colourful steamed vegetables, a large helping of stir-fried beef cubes, some japchae, and Tao carefully hand pressed two balls of rice, decorating them with dainty pieces of seaweed to look like a pair of pandas.

He took much longer than usual in his preparation, moving around slowly and taking pauses whenever a wave of dizziness would wash over him. Even the seaweed on the pandas were a little wonky. Perhaps he really was ill, he thought, stomach roiling as he took a taxi to Yifan’s office. He waved at the receptionists as they welcomed him in, and Tao reminded himself to stop for a chat with them on his way out; he didn’t want to be late for Yifan’s lunch break.

“I haven’t seen you around before,” came a voice, as Tao pressed the elevator button to the thirty-fifth floor. “I definitely would’ve remembered such a pretty face.”

“Oh. I don’t work here,” Tao said blithely.

“I’m Jinwoo,” the man said, inching closer. “Are you here for a meeting?” His eyes dragged over Tao’s figure appreciatively. “You’re not dressed like you’re here for a meeting,” he said teasingly.

“I’m here to see someone,” Tao answered simply.

“What’s your name? Can I have your number?” Jinwoo said, ignoring the doors opening on his own floor and pressing the button for them to close and resume their ascent. “We can have lunch when you’re done meeting that someone.”

“Oh,” Tao said, long lashes fluttering before he raised the lunchbox he held in both hands. “Sorry, I can’t. I’m actually having lunch with my -”

The doors opened on the thirty-fifth floor, and Kyungsoo, Yifan’s secretary, was already standing in wait. “Mr Wu,” he greeted, bowing as Tao exited and Jinwoo followed. “It’s good to see you again.”

“Hi Kyungsoo, it’s good to see you too,” Tao greeted cheerfully. “Oh, Kyungsoo, I met Jinwoo-ssi in the lift. Jinwoo-ssi, have you met Kyungsoo? He works with -”

“With me.”

Tao spun around, seeing Yifan standing there casually with his hands in his trouser pockets and death written in his eyes. “Yifan!”

“P-President Wu!” Jinwoo froze in place as Yifan stepped forward and curled an arm around a clueless Tao, who just nuzzled into the hug.

Yifan’s glare at Jinwoo was unblinking even as he lifted Tao’s chin with gentle fingers and pressed a long kiss to Tao’s smile. “Hello, my love,” he murmured tenderly, utterly at odds with the glower on his sharp features. Tao hummed happily into the kiss, lips clinging as Yifan pulled back.

Jinwoo’s eyes darted between Tao and President Wu. “I - I was just - I -”

“You were just.” Yifan said flatly, as Tao hid a blush in Yifan’s shoulder, still unbearably shy at the show of affection before Yifan’s staff.

“No-nothing, absolutely nothing,” Jinwoo stuttered, shaking both his hands and head frantically as Yifan’s death stare turned even more chilling. “I - I’ll just head back to work.” He backed away from the force of the glare, wishing at that moment he had the power to disappear, or teleport, or something to get away from the certain death that the President’s aura was promising.

“I believe that would be best,” Yifan said in clipped tones, as Jinwoo turned tail and ran, not even bothering to wait for the elevator as he headed immediately for the stairs.

Watching the nameless worker leave, Kyungsoo finally decided to speak up. “President, Mr Wu, I’ll prepare some tea for you.”

“Oh, no tea for me, thank you Kyungsoo.” Tao was still sticking with his diet, just in case. “Just water is fine.”

“Very well, sir.” Kyungsoo gave a short bow and disappeared, leaving Yifan to lead Tao towards his office.

The other staff on his floor didn’t even bother looking up from their work; it wasn’t the first time some hapless creature had followed the Chairman’s husband up to the executive floor, and it certainly wouldn’t be the last.

“What happened to that guy from earlier?” Tao wondered, as Yifan ushered him into his office. “He said something about lunch?”

“He has work,” Yifan said shortly.

“Oh, of course! Everyone’s so busy here. But that means business is going well, so I’m glad.” Tao set the lunchbox down on Yifan’s desk before diving into Yifan’s ready arms, settling himself in for a proper hug. “Yifan, I missed you.”

“I missed you too, baby.” Yifan kissed him again slowly, breaking away to hold Tao close once more. “Are you feeling better?”

“A little bit,” Tao lied. “I wanted to make you lunch.”

“Baby, you really didn’t need to.” But there was no denying the way Yifan’s eyes lit up excitedly, a smile already spreading across his mouth as Tao pulled him around the desk, pushing him down into his chair and setting the lunchbox in front of him properly.

“It’s not much,” Tao said, “just the usual stuff, but I hope you like it.”

“I know I will,” Yifan said confidently, as Tao unsheathed a pair of porcelain chopsticks. He opened his mouth obediently as Tao held up an egg roll to his lips.

“How is it?”

“Perfect.” Yifan pulled Tao into his lap, and Tao smiled through the nausea rising in the back of his throat, determined to have a good lunch with his husband.

An hour and a half later, Tao finally tore himself away from Yifan, ordering him to stay at his desk and work. It definitely helped that Kyungsoo showed up the very second the lunch hour ended, files piled high in his arms and demanding Yifan’s immediate attention (it was this, or watching Yifan walk Tao out and linger around demanding more kisses until Kyungsoo had to drag him away by his hair).

Tao’s headache immediately worsened as he left the office building, and he supposed it was because he had forgotten about it in the excitement of seeing Yifan. And he was out already, so he might as well pay a visit to his doctor. If he really was coming down with the flu, then it would be better to catch it early so he wouldn’t pass it onto Yifan.

O.o o.O

Yifan called Tao after his meeting as promised, but from the background noise, he could tell that Tao was out. “I’ll tell you more at home,” he said, when Tao seemed too distracted to even hear what he was saying.

“Hm? Oh, home. Yes, I’ll see you at home,” Tao said.

Yifan frowned. “Baby, are you sure you’re feeling alright?”

At that, Tao laughed, and Yifan could feel himself relaxing once more. “Yes, Yifan,” he said warmly. “I’m really glad your meeting went well. I’ll see you at home, and you can tell me all about it.”

“Love you,” Yifan said.

“Love you more,” Tao said, before hanging up.

Love you most, Yifan texted him.

Impossible, Tao replied. Because I love you even more.

Hours later, when Yifan finally reached home after work, he found Tao staring idly at a chopping board of vegetables, so lost in thought that he didn’t even hear Yifan entering.

“Baby? I’m home.”

Tao startled, but he still turned to flash a brilliant smile at Yifan.

Yifan went over to kiss him hello, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders at coming home to Tao.

“I haven’t started on dinner yet,” Tao said. “But I’m just going to make fried rice, so it’ll be fast. Go sit and rest.”

“Sure,” Yifan said, loosening his tie. He tossed his suit jacket over an armchair in the living room, sighing as he took a seat on the sofa and Tao joined him, cuddling close. “What did you do this afternoon, baby?”

“Tell me about your meeting first,” Tao said. “You said earlier that the contract will probably be finalised soon?”

“Yeah.”

Tao listened intently as Yifan spoke, asking questions and remembering all the bits that Yifan had told him before. It had been that way since they met; everything Yifan said was seared into Tao’s memory, though for Yifan it was just Tao’s way of being patient and attentive to everyone around him.

“Now tell me. What did you do this afternoon?”

“Oh.” Tao sat up properly, lifting a knee onto the sofa so he could face Yifan from his seat. “I went shopping today,” he said shyly.

Yifan smiled; Tao normally didn’t use his credit cards other than for household needs, no matter how often Yifan said that everything he had was for Tao’s to own and use. “That’s great, baby. Did you enjoy yourself?”

Tao nodded. “I...I bought a lot.” He bit down on his lower lip.

“That’s great,” Yifan said again, happy that Tao felt comfortable spending his money.

“I’ll show you?” Tao looked up at him, eyes wide and shining.

“Sure.” Yifan gave Tao a brief kiss before Tao leaned over and pulled out a shopping bag from behind the sofa. It was from a well-known department store and gave nothing away as to the contents. “Why were you hiding that?”

“Well…” Tao took in a deep breath, clearly steadying himself. Yifan secretly wondered if Tao had bought something naughty. Normally it was he who made such purchases, but -

With clearly shaking hands, Tao pulled out a tiny footed onesie in a light ivory colour, fuzzy all over in teddy bear fabric and a hood with two round ears stitched on top.

Yifan lost his breath. He looked up at Tao. “Are you…”

Tao gave the most beautiful smile Yifan had ever seen. “Yes,” he answered, laughing happily as Yifan pulled him into his lap for a deep kiss.

“My love, thank you,” Yifan said, voice hitching as his eyes filled with tears.

Tao laughed again, dipping his head down to kiss Yifan again. “Silly. Why are you thanking me?”

“For giving me this miracle,” Yifan said, sniffling as Tao wiped away his tears. “I love you. Thank you, baby. I love you, I love you,” he repeated over and over between kisses, resting a hand over Tao’s stomach.

“Silly Yifan.” Tao couldn’t stop his happy laughter.

Yifan cupped Tao’s face in both hands. “My love, I can’t wait to start a family with you.”

Tao’s smile was all that Yifan needed in this world. “Me neither.”

O.o o.O

Epilogue (?):

“Yifan, I went shopping today,” Tao said.

“That’s great,” Yifan said, almost unheard as their five year-old daughter and her friends shrieked with laughter on the living room floor. Their two-year old son was cuddled up against Tao, dozing off with a stuffed animal; he had a quiet, calm nature, the exact opposite of his elder sister. “What did you buy?”

“Well...” Tao held up a pair of matching onesies, both with mustaches on them.

Yifan stared, dumbfounded. “My love?” He sounded breathless. “Is it true?”

Tao nodded, and Yifan broke into excited laughter as he leaned over and kissed Tao deeply, who returned it with as much love and affection as he could possibly pour into the kiss.

“Thank you, baby,” Yifan murmured to Tao. “Thank you; I love you.”

Tao brushed another soft kiss against Yifan’s lips. “I love you too.”

O.o o.O

And they lived happily ever after!