(Epilogue) Perfect Love

Curiosity

'You better be on your best behaviour tomorrow, Jinsol! It will be a masquerade ball and you are expected to mingle with the guests, engage in conversation and dance with them. I will call you back to the throne with me after a while, after which we will leave the room and you'll get changed. I've arranged a live performance by a popular artist to entertain the guests while we're gone.'

Jinsol can only nod as she listens to her father's explanation, seated in front of her father in one of his offices. Her gaze is directed at her entwined hands on her lap, back straight so her father wouldn't comment on her slouching again.

'After the performance, the suitors can all come forward. Everyone at the party will be suitable for you, I promise. They'll have proper family backgrounds and ties with our kingdom. I'm not a total , dear. You'll be allowed to choose from them yourself. I hope after dancing with them all and chatting that you can make a decision. They'll have to take their masks off if they come forward to ask for your hand. As will you after changing, ok?'

Jinsol nods softly. 'Yes, father. May I go now? It will be a long day tomorrow, I must prepare myself.' The King smiles at her sadly and nods. He only wishes to protect her. He hopes she hits it off with one of the boys at the party tomorrow so she can choose someone she actually likes.

Jinsol bows and makes her way to her room, faintly nodding at the guard by her door before entering and breaking down crying on her bed. How she wishes she could just run away to find KimLip and marry her instead...

 

* * *

'Are you ready, my dear?' Jinsol nods, taking a deep breath and adjusting the mask over her face. She takes the hand her father offers her and walks with him through the large double doors leading to the ballroom.

Sooyoung's charismatic voice booms through the speakers. 'His Majesty the King and crown princess Jinsol now entering!' The crowd turns as they enter, gasping and mumbling among each other while clapping enthusiastically. They couldn't wait for the moment the princess would finally reveal her face. For now, everyone is mesmerised by how elegant she looks. They admire her beautiful proportions, the dress she's wearing fitting her just right. Her long blonde hair cascades down her back in waves, flowing like liquid gold.

The King orders for everyone to have a good time and mingle and tells Jinsol to go talk to people and find the one she likes.

With another bow and nod, she steps down from the throne stage and walks toward the side of the crowd, locating Sooyoung. For this one night, her father would allow her to chat with her only if she promised to also entertain the guests. Jinsol eagerly accepted and is now tightly grasping her best friend's hand in greeting. They couldn't hug, for that is not how a princess should act in front of a crowd.

'Soo, I've missed you. How have you been?' Sooyoung smiles brightly at her best friend, eyes sparkling. 'I've missed you too, Sol. It's been rough under your father's watchful eye but training the young ones isn't too bad. I do miss being able to hang around you though.' Jinsol nods sadly, finally letting go of Sooyoung's hand. 'Have you seen Jiwoo or KimLip?' Sooyoung sighs and shakes her head sadly.

'Your father cut me off from any outside communication as well. I'm a prisoner of the palace grounds as much as you are.' Jinsol sighs and turns her head, noticing her father eye her annoyedly. 'I'll see you again later but I really have to mingle before my dad gets angry.' Sooyoung nods in understanding and bows at her best friend with a wink. 'Well then, princess, do enjoy the party. I hope you actually find someone you like. I don't want to see you marrying someone you hate.' Jinsol smiles softly at her friend's antics. 

'You know there's only 1 I really want.' With that, she bows her head softly and turns to mingle with the crowd.

 

* * *

 

After an hour of meaningless conversations and exchanging pleasantries with the masked guests, Jinsol needs a moment to breathe. 

She steps out onto the empty balcony for a moment. Leaning against the railing, she closes her eyes and allows herself to think back to a certain singer she likes. A single tear slips from her eye, sliding down her cheek slowly. Jinsol doesn't bother wiping it away. 

A soft hand reaches out, tissue dabbing gently at Jinsol's wet cheek. 

'What terrible being made our dear princess cry?' Her eyes flutter open, coming face to face with a gorgeous red mask. A girl slightly shorter than her speaks with a soft and deep voice. Jinsol can't help but look away, sniffling slightly. The palace gardens below seem alive in the soft moonlight. The tree branches sway in the soft breeze that lifts up Jinsol's golden locks, allowing her to take a deep breath of fresh air.

'Not a terrible being. My heart aches for a beautiful creature...' It's a soft whisper that would've been easily missed by the stranger had she not been standing so close to the princess. A smirk forms under the mask as the stranger reaches out a hand to the princess, bowing respectfully.

'Then would you like to join me for a dance, my princess? Whenever I dance, I feel like my Soul is at ease.' Jinsol raises an eyebrow at the stranger, somewhat confused at her sudden appearance. Something about her is very familiar and comforting. Though they've barely talked, she sure feels more comfortable with her than she has with any of the suitors she had to entertain tonight. Adjusting her mask, she nods softly and wordlessly lays her hand in the strangers'.

Gently grasping her hand, they walk back inside to join the other guests on the dancefloor. The masked stranger walks one step ahead of Jinsol, moving the other guests out of the way and leading her to the middle of the dancefloor ahead. A slow song plays as she turns back to the princess, looking up at her before placing her other hand on Jinsol's waist. 

With every song, Jinsol becomes more and more comfortable. She's actually having fun with this stranger. Her night turned out to be quite entertaining. 

Too soon, her father calls for her. She turns and bows to the stranger. 'I'm sorry, I must go. Thank you for your company.' The stranger simply smiles and bows back slowly.

Her father pulls her aside once they disappear behind the scenes and starts to question her. 

'How do you know the artist I booked for tonight?' Jinsol frowns. 'What do you mean, father?' The King sighs and walks her to a room to change. 'The girl you danced with most of the evening is Kim Jungeun, the artist I booked to keep the guests busy now.' Jinsol nods softly and turns her head back, hearing a soft and emotional voice seep through the hallways. She smiles, it's beautiful.

'I didn't know her before, but maybe I should. She's kind and her voice sounds nice.' Her father eyes her suspiciously but lets it go, opting to ask the maids to help her get dressed and moving away to go get dressed, himself.

She takes a deep breath when she's fully dressed and waiting for her father to lead them back into the ballroom. It's time to seal her fate.

 

* * * 

'All that wish to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage tonight, please come forward.' Her father's voice booms through the room, startling some of the guests. A few come forward willingly, while others are pushed by their parents and friends. Jinsol merely looks straight ahead stoically, thankful for the mask she was currently still wearing.

The suitors are all standing in front of the thrones, a few steps down, in a messy group. A sigh escapes the King's lips. 'Would you please form a decent line?' Instantly they all comply of course. A line is formed in front of the throne's stairs and all kneel down to greet the King and princess.

'Now, my daughter will pick one of you. You will each come forward, declare your name and occupation and why she should choose you. Then remove your mask in front of her. If she accepts you, she will remove her mask for us all and you will be allowed to further converse in the palace gardens alone. Do you understand?' A chorus of 'Yes, sire!' rings through the large room, making Jinsol shudder. She had to choose one of these spineless fools that just want to please her father and secure their name within the kingdom. Her heart sinks at the thought, eyes flickering to Sooyoung's for a moment as she stands guard next to the suitors.

Sooyoung smiles at her sadly, feeling for her best friend. She can only hope things turn out alright.

After the first 4 or so, Jinsol sighs tiredly. They're all handsome, that's not the issue. They're just no KimLip.

As she's ready to hear another rehearsed line from some random minister's son, she hears her father speak up instead.

'What do you think you're doing?' Jinsol follows her father's line of sight. The next person to walk up the steps to the throne is none other than the artist he hired. Kim Jungeun.

'You said everyone with an invitation would be allowed a chance at winning the princess' heart, right?' The crowd gasps and murmurs. Besides Jungeun, only important young men and sons of royalty and important politicians had stepped up. 

Jinsol waits for her father's reply with bated breath. What she didn't expect was for him to start laughing. The crowd is surprised too.

'If anything, I'm a righteous and honest king. I did say that, just as I said that the choice would be my dear daughter's entirely. The only catch is that she has to choose wisely and to make a decision tonight.'

Jinsol smiles slightly. No matter what, she loves her father and it is in times like this that she remembers why. 

Jungeun bows courteously and smiles, stepping up to Jinsol's throne. She kneels in front of her and reaches out a hand for the princess to take. Jinsol clings to it tightly, staring deep into Jungeun's brown eyes. She hadn't properly looked at her before, but she recognises those eyes. They're captivating, familiar, full of love... But it can't be.

Can it?

'My name is Kim Jungeun. I was born and raised in this kingdom. My father was a knight. I am a performer. I sing, I dance and I make people feel.' Jinsol feels tears prick at her eyes, her hand trembles in Jungeun's.

The King smiles at the two and speaks up. 'What is it about my daughter that draws you to her? Why should she choose you?' 

Jinsol holds her breath as Jungeun smirks. 'Why I'm drawn to her? She's different.' Jinsol chuckles, tears slipping down her cheeks as she's overcome with emotion. The crowd gasps at the sudden change from her stoic expressions.

'Why she should choose me?' Jungeun smiles and lets go of Jinsol's hand to remove her mask. Jinsol smiles back at her and sniffles, a sweet blush on her cheeks. It really is her KimLip.

'She already has.' The King chuckles, a happy smile on his face as Jinsol removes her mask. The crowd gasps at the princess' beauty. Many of the suitors groan as they lost their chance.

'From the first time I laid eyes on you.' Jungeun stands at this and steps closer to Jinsol as she stands from her seat too.

'The princess has chosen! You may all celebrate this great moment for the rest of the night! Now!' Everyone turns away from the couple at the King's orders and start to mingle and talk among each other. The King motions to Sooyoung to follow them and grabs Jinsol and Jungeun by the hand, dragging them towards the gardens.

Once outside, he turns to Jungeun with a serious expression. She gulps but stands her ground. 'If you ever break my little girl's heart, nobody will ever hear from you again, understand?' Jungeun nods frantically and bows before her future father-in-law. Jinsol smiles happily and hugs her father. 

'Thank you. I love you, dad.' He smiles and pulls her close. 'Your happiness comes first. Seeing you so miserable after I stopped you from sneaking out, hurt. You got that smile I love back tonight when you saw Jungeun.'

Sooyoung smiles at them happily. 'Sooyoung, you are back on duty to protect my daughter and her fiance too. To be honest, I don't trust anyone more than I trust you to guard her. Jinsol, I'm allowing you to go out once your engagement is official. But only with a trained group guards led by Sooyoung close by. You are allowed to decide on your own helpers again. Even that Chaewon and Hyejoo pair is allowed back if they all undergo training.' At this, Sooyoung squeals and hugs Jinsol tightly.

'Jungeun.' A strong hand rests on her shoulder as the King looks her in the eye softly. 'You'll have to attend lessons and training but I'm sure you'll make for a great Queen someday, alongside Jinsol. Please, take care of my daughter.' She nods and kneels deeply, a hand on her heart.

'I will protect her with my life and love her with all my heart.' 

At this, the King seems content and leaves them in the middle of the garden to catch up with each other.

'I can't believe it. How did you get to this point?' Jungeun laughs and holds Jinsol close. 'I did actually debut as a solo artist and they decided it'd be more impactful if I used my real name, as not many performers do that lately.'

Sooyoung nods. 'That explains why I didn't recognise your name. I'm glad you were here tonight.' She blushes and scratches the back of her neck. 'How's Jiwoo?' Jungeun smiles and pats her back.

'Still head over heels in love with you. She came with me tonight, you know? She's hiding with the staff, hoping to see you.' Sooyoung smiles widely at this and runs off, waving behind her. 'Be safe, kids! I'll send a few guards until I return with Jiwoo!' 

The newly engaged couple chuckle at her antics before turning to each other. Jinsol leads Jungeun to a bench, surrounded by blooming rose bushes. Their foreheads meet as they stare deep into each other's eyes.

'I love you, Jungeun. I never stopped thinking about you. I'm sorry I had to lie about who I am.' Jungeun shakes her head, kissing Jinsol softly.

'I love you too. I understand why you couldn't. It doesn't matter now anyway. In the end, we're meant to be together, no matter what.' 

They share kisses under the pale moonlight until Sooyoung returns with a blushing Jiwoo. They giggle and dance all evening, catching up on all they've missed.

 

* * *

1 year later

'Why does your father insist on having me battle Sooyoung as training?' Jinsol chuckles and turns away from the rose bushes she had been tending to. Jungeun walks up to her groaning and stretching her sore limbs.

'Because it's important for you to know how to fight, dear. And Sooyoung is the most skilled warrior and teacher in our kingdom.' Jungeun sighs and nods, moving into her wife's embrace.

'How are the roses doing?' Jinsol smiles and kisses Jungeun sweetly. 'They're doing just fine. Jiwoo has been helping me with them too.' Jungeun smiles at this and lifts her wife, carrying her inside. They giggle together as they walk through the hallways, guards greeting them with a smile.

Since Jungeun came into the palace, everyone has noticed how much happier Jinsol is. It reflects in the King's mood too. He allows her to help more with making decisions affecting the kingdom together with Jungeun. Jungeun still performs whenever she has the chance, usually for charity or to just bring joy to the kingdom. Jinsol performs with her sometimes.

'Sooyoung said they'll be waiting for us in the courtyard.' Jinsol nods and nuzzles into Jungeun's hair. She's happy. 

'How can you carry your wife all the way out here from the gardens but not beat me in a battle?' Jungeun sets Jinsol down as they reach their friends and reaches out to playfully punch Sooyoung.

'Shut up. I always have strength left for my wife.' Sooyoung winks at her and gets up to hug Jinsol before sitting back down. 'Jiwoo is getting the tea with Chae and Hyejoo is off to let 2jin in.' Jinsol chuckles at the nickname and settles at the table with her wife. Soon, tea and biscuits are served as Jiwoo settles next to her fiance and Chaewon patiently waits for her girlfriend.

'GIRLS!' Jinsol chuckles as Heejin runs straight at them, nearly knocking Jinsol out of her chair. 'Hey, Heejin! How are you?' Heejin hugs them all tightly before standing beside Hyunjin who simply waves at the group and lets out a mewl in greeting.

Chaewon pulls Hyejoo into her side and feeds her a biscuit.

'Did you guys have fun?' 

They hadn't seen Heejin and Hyunjin in 2 weeks. After Jinsol and Jungeun got engaged, they made it a point to visit Heejin's household and support her with introducing Hyunjin as her lover. It all went much better than they thought and they held a great party to celebrate it.

'It was amazing! The beaches were great, though Hyun kept chasing all the dogs and barking at them.' Hyunjin blushes and sits down, pulling Heejin on her lap to hide her face in her back. 'Aeong!'

The girls all laugh and Jiwoo jumps up. 

'Babe, can we go there for our honeymoon too, please?!' Sooyoung looks at her and melts. She can't deny her anything. 'Of course, baby.' Jiwoo snuggles up to her and enjoys her strawberry tea.

'When are you guys getting married, actually?' Heejin looks over at the head of palace security. Heejin's hands wrap around the bigger ones wrapped around her torso, belonging to her wife.

'We're hoping next winter. There's just something about a wedding in the snow that speaks to us.' They all agree it would be beautiful if arranged properly. Jinsol assures them that the palace would help arrange it all.

 

* * *

'Babe? Jinsol, where you at? Jungeun walks through their shared room and smiles as she notices her wife on the balcony. She looks ethereal with only her robe on and her golden locks swaying in the breeze.

She walks up to her and wraps her arms around her from behind, resting her chin on the older girl's shoulder. 'What are you doing out here?' Jinsol leans into her touch, a content smile on her face.

'Just reminiscing. Thinking of the first time we met. And the night we got engaged.' Jungeun nods, a soft smile on her lips as she stares up at the night sky.

'I told you that night that you drew my attention because you're different. Why did I draw your attention?' Jungeun turns her around in her arms and looks her in the eyes curiously.

Jinsol chuckles and wraps her arms around Jungeun's neck. 'Honestly? You piqued my curiosity.' 

Soft touches and kisses are shared once again that night and nights that follow.

In the end, they got together.

 

Even after all that hardship, they would still describe their love the same.

It's a perfect love, filled with vibrant colors and curiosity.

 

 

_________________________________________________

Author's note:

OMG I FINALLY FINISHED THIS! 

I've been sick lately so delays on all my stories were stressing me out but I was able to finally figure this out :)

Hope you enjoyed!

Have a good day/night! :3