The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was always something about Yoo Jeongyeon. Something different, her energy, her aura. The way she treated those around her, and especially recently, the way she treated Im Nayeon.

It wasn't that the two didn't get along, or that they argued and bickered. In fact, they argued less now then they ever had. There was something there though, a distance, a coldness; and Nayeon had certainly noticed it. Maybe it was because Jeongyeon would rather spend her freetime with Mina, or Jihyo, or it might be because Nayeon had been spending all her time with Momo, or Chaeyoung. They barely spoke, Jeongyeon would hardly even look at her. All Nayeon wanted was an explanation.

They would go on stage, or a TV show, and act like nothing had changed; sometimes it felt like nothing had changed, but then when they were alone in the waiting room or a hotel room, or even their dorm, things would change. Jeongyeon would close off, shrink away from the older girl. She avoided and conversation, any interaction and it made Nayeon's skin crawl and wonder what happened between the two girls who became close pretty much as soon as they met in 2010 as teenagers. They didn't always see eye-to-eye but there was nobody that Nayeon cared about more than Yoo Jeongyeon.

Now as young women they, along with the rest of Twice, were embarking on a sold out dome tour across Japan. Only the two nights in Osaka had passed but Nayeon was already feeling the effects of performing for over two hours each time. Her body hurt, her voice felt weak, her mind felt tired. When the group when on tour, they always shared rooms in threes, they were offered double or even single rooms but opted for three in a room, the group liked spending time together and enjoyed each other's company, so why wouldn't they want to share?

Nayeon wanted a single room.

The policy for roommates in Twice was simple, they were decided by age order. As it was the first few nights, and they were at their first hotel, Nayeon was sharing with Jeongyeon and Momo. The two older girls were alone in the room, Momo had decided to go to Mina, Sana and Jihyo's room as the three Japanese members were preparing to go for a dinner with their families. What Nayeon couldn't undersyand was why Jeongyeon was also changing, she didn't want to ask where she was going; not only because recently they hadn't really been able to have a conversation without an argument or awkwardness but also because of the current situation they found themselves in- it wasn't really any of her business. Jeongyeon always admitted that out of the members her Japanese speaking skills were the weakest, which is why Nayeon was unsure of what she was doing. She shouldn't ask.

But then again, she couldn't help herself.

"Going anywhere nice?" She started, simple enough, a neutral. She didn't want to come off as caring too much, but at the same time she did care. A lot.

"Dinner," Jeongyeon responded quickly, she seemed like she was in a rush. Nayeon's lack of response told her that wasn't enough detail, "Mina invited me." She added, playing with her hair trying to make it look perfect. Not that she needed much work to do that anyway. Nayeon admired how the younger girl had really grown into her features and had gained much more confidence since being able to grow her hair out and having it in a style she was more comfortable with.

"Meeting the parents for a fancy dinner?" Nayeon wasn't trying to sound too serious but both girls knew what she was getting at. "People will start to talk." 

"Talk? What are you even saying right now?" Jeongyeon turned to the older girl for a second, their eyes met for a brief moment, until she turned back to face the mirror in front of her.

"Well some people think you're actually dating, well some are convinced you're dating. If they see you having dinner with her parents they might start to think-"

"They'll think we're just two people having dinner with her parents. I've had countless dinners with your parents, and you with mine, this isn't any different. Anyway, Momo and Sana will be there as well remember?" Jeongyeon didn't know what Nayeon was getting at, but she definitely didn't like where this was headed. Neither did Nayeon.

"Yet Mina was the only person who invited anyone, surely that means something," she began and Jeongyeon really didn't want to be hearing this, "look, I know that people are convinced that someone in the group is dating someone else in the group and some have come close, like Mina and Chaeyoung...I guess I'm just saying that if you do want to date Mina, be careful." Nayeon spoke, she was concerned about her friend, if she could still call her that. She was concerned about her bandmate and her band in general, if her and Mina did date then things could easily get messy which would ultimately affect all nine members.

"Mina and Chaeyoung? I would hardly call that nearly dating." Jeongyeon sounded and Nayeon really didn't like her defensive tone. 

"You're right, my bad. Like when Chaeyoung had feelings for Mina and she made it seem like she felt the same only to reject her later on and completely break her heart?" Nayeon sighed. "That sound more like what happened?" Nayeon didn't care about the exact details of what went down between Mina and Chaeyoung right now, she just didn't want Jeongyeon to completely discount the younger girls feelings, which were very real, and how Mina leading her on the way she did affected her and nearly caused a split in the entire group.

"Chaeyoung had feelings for Mina and Mina didn't feel the same. There's nothing wrong with that, it happens to all of us at some point." Jeongyeon returned, now sitting on her bed to adjust her shoes, she was on Momo's bed which was the furthest point from Nayeon in the room.

"I know, it's happened to me before. Mina should've been more considerate of her feelings...from the start. Chaeyoung was 19 at the time." Usually when conflicts, or relationship issues or friendship issues, arose the members tried not to take side and look at the bigger picture. However, Nayeon can't just let Jeongyeon get the simple facts of something that nearly had serious repercussion so wrong. She also felt she had defend Chaeyoung in this situation. Nayeon, after all, was the one who Chaeyoung went to for advice throughout the whole time.

"Whatever. They'e fine now." 

"Yeah now. What about last year when they only even looked at each other when we were being filmed." Nayeon spoke, realising how similar the two younger girl's situation is to her and Jeongyeon's current one. Except with this one there's no romantic feelings involved. That's what Nayeon was telling herself anyway. "I just don't want you to get hurt." She finished and Jeongyeon looked at her for a brief moment before sighing and turning away once more.

"I don't even have those feelings for Mina.  She's like my family. You all are. I'm going to dinner with her parents and Momo's and Sana's. There's nothing more to it. Is that so wrong?" Jeongyeon asked and now Nayeon was the one who didn't have any defence so she just shrugged. "And fans will always think anyone who interacts is dating. People seriously used to think we were dating!" It wasn't necessarily what Jeongyeon said that upset Nayeon, it was how she said it.

"Sorry, I didn't realise the idea of dating me was such bad thing to you." She returned, did the younger girl really think that dating her would be such a bad thing?

Jeongyeon sighed and looked like she wanted to say something but she fell short, she had nothing. Nayeon didn't have a chance to raise any further woes with the younger girl as they were interrupted.

There was a knock a the door followed by a lot of noise, the Japanese members had arrived. Both girls knew it was time for Jeongyeon to leave, which she did. With one last quick look back at Nayeon she soon opened the door and was gone just as quick. Nayeon was alone. She pulled her phone from beside her and searched through some articles about the first two shows in Osaka and felt a strong sense of pride course through her, she loved her members, a lot; but there was one that she just couldn't quite place her feelings for. Yoo Jeongyeon really was an enigma to Im Nayeon.

Shortly after she had read through her articles and let her parents know how she was there was another knock at her door so she reluctanrtly climbed from her bed and made her way over to open the door to see Tzuyu, Chaeyoung and Dahyun stood in front of Jihyo. All looking up hopefully at the oldest member. "I said we'd come here, order some food and watch crappy TV." Jihyo explained and Nayeon wore a smile on her face as she let her younger members in. The three youngest immediately brushed past her and made themselves comfortable, Jihyo took a moment to look at Nayeon but the older girl just sent her a smile to reassure her she was okay.

"I have one condition though," Nayeon started, closing the door and facing the others, "Chaeyoung cannot pick what we watch. I don't think I can take sitting through another badly made foreign indie lesbian movie." She finishes and Tzuyu and Dahyun both nod in agreement whilst the leader just shakes her head as she takes a seat close to Tzuyu. Chaeyoung just rolled her eyes before rising and laying on Momo's bed and then reaching into the bedside cabinet and opening her snack draw and helping herself to a few items before closing it again.

"She'll know you took something, she counts what's in there." Nayeon reminded her younger member who just continued to eat.

"Where's Jeongyeon anyway?" Tzuyu asked and Chaeyoung and Dahyun looked at Nayeon for an answer.

"Didn't you hear? Mina invited her to their dinner with the families." Nayeon spoke casually and Jihyo sighed, which Tzuyu picked up on sending a looking to her leader who responed with a look that said she really didn't have time to explain now but she would later. The thing about Jihyo being leader was that she knew all the members better than they knew themselves sometimes and she knew something was going on between Nayeon and Jeongyeon, even if neither of them were willing to admit it. She also didn't fail to pick up on the bitterness in Nayeon's response.

"What? Why?" Chaeyoung was the first to respond verbally and Dahyun looked at her before looking back at Tzuyu. Chaeyoung was certainly not over the older girl like she had told them she was.

"I wish I knew. Are they a thing?" Nayeon began, hoping someone might know more than, by someone she means Jihyo. "Jeongyeon said they weren't but I don't know if I believe her or not." Nayeon finished when she didn't get an answer from any of the other members.

"I left my phone in our room, I'll be back in a few." Chaeyuong spoke, before rising and leaving the oldest three member's room.

Nayeon, hot on her trail, managed to stop the younger girl bjust as she reached her room. Chaeyoung didn't say anything, instead she just opened the door, entered, and took a seat on her bed. Nayeon followed suit and placed herself on what she assumed was Tzuyu's bed, it was the neatest of three, which was expected of the youngest member.

"Do you even want me to ask why you left so suddenly or?" Nayeon was going to ask more but decided against it when she saw just how upset Chaeyoung looked, it was like someone had just told her she couldn't get the puppy she really wanted.

"It's just...Mina. That's the best way I can describe it." Chaeyoung spoke and Nayeon moved from where she was over to Chaeyoung and wrapped an arm around the younger girl.

"I thought that was all in the past?" It was true, Nayeon thought it was all behind them now. Mina rejected Chaeyoung early last year and the two girls both took some time throughout the whole year to work out everything they needed too, individually, and together.

"I did too. She told me she wasn't interested, then avoided me. Well I avoided her," Chaeyoung began as Nayeon rubbed her should to comfort her, "then towards the end of the year, just as we finished the promotions, she started to act differently again. She was affectionate, it was just like before but it felt so much more real this time around. Then just before we all went on our vacations...She kissed me." Chaeyoung explained and Nayeon was unsure what to think of this situation, Mina and Chaeyoung had been in this push-and-pull for nearly two years now but last year it all just got too much, too real, and Mina put a stop to it all and it nearly broke Chaeyoung. She didn't want to see her friend go through that again.

"She kissed you?" Nayeon asked, it was rhetorical. She was just trying to work out what Mina was playing at here.

"Yeah," Chaeyoung took a second to gather her thoughts, "she said she was sure this time." She sighed and Nayeom squeezed her shoulder and placed a kiss to her temple, to let her know she was there for her. "I...She told me she was sure about her feelings. Feelings for me. About us. So she kissed me and then went to Hawaii and came back acting like nothing happened." She finished and Nayeon sighed, she hated seeing Chaeyoung like this. She was beating herself up about this but she couldn't help how she felt. Nayeon just wishes Nayeon would be straight with the younger girl.

"Does anyone else know about this?" Nayeon asked an Chaeyoung just shook her head as a response.

"I just her to be uprfront with me; I want answers. Last year I spent so much time trying to work out what these feelings for three years were and then having her reject me, then trying to get over that," she began and Nayeon reacted her arm from around her shoulder and grabbed her hand instead, "then when I thought I was finally over her, she kisses me and it's like I'm right back where I started. In love with a girl who would never love me back." Chaeyoung spoke and Nayeon really did feel for her. She knew exactly what it was like to feel something so strongly towards someone but never actually knowing where you stood with them.

"I wish I knew what to say to make this better. I just think you need to talk to her. Confront her, if she really cares about you like she claims then she'll do whatever she can to stop hurting you and end this cycle the two of you seem to be in. I don't want either of you to get more hurt than you already are." Nayeon began, Chaeyoun was now fully resting on the older girl. Nayeon wasn't always the most mature member but she knew as the oldest she had a duty to protect those around her and protect the people she loved, and she really did love all her members. "I don't think Mina is doing this to deliberately hurt you, though. Honestly, I think she's scared. There were times last year where I thought maybe she wasn't the person we all thought but in past times I saw how she treated you and I can see she cares, I think she cares anyway, but scared. Scared of what she feels for you. Or maybe I was right before and she is doing all this to hurt you. But you won't know anything more unless you talk to her and tell her how you're feeling." Nayeon spoke honestly and Chaeyoung appreciated having someone to talk through all this with, she didn't want to go through this alone and she knew as long as she had Nayeon she would never be alone. Nayeon always protected the younger members and cared so much that Chaeyoung even feared sometimes she put their happiness before her own. 

Nayeon didn't want to believe that Mina would hurt someone on purpose, she was one the most gentle people she had ever met. Which is why it came as such a shock to her when Chaeyoung told her what had happened with the youngest Japanese member. She was so angry at Mina for stringing Chaeyoung along only to end things before they even started but now she looks back maybe her and Mina aren't so different; avoiding feelings and getting out before things get too complicated and you fall to deep. Sounds a lot like something Nayeon did a few years ago to someone she really cares about.

"I will talk to her. I'll do it tonight. I need to. For me." Chaeyoung spoke, now sitting up.

"So I guess this means her and Jeongyeon really aren't dating, but why are they spending so much time together?" Nayeon asked and Chaeyoung looked at her for a moment, trying to read her expression but Nayeon wasn't giving her anything.

"Well the answer to why Jeongyeon and Mina got so close is you. Jeongyeon saw you and Momo get closer an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter