Forever.

there's a light that never goes out

April, 8th

 

Kibum’s monday morning routine was always the same. He would wake up at seven in the morning and walk to the bathroom, brush his teeth and take a relaxing shower. Then he would enter his closet and dress in something comfy to spend the early morning in. He would leave his bedroom, talk to his dogs, and feed them before taking them out for a walk on the streets. The walk would be canceled in case it was winter and the streets were full of snow, but in all other seasons, that’s what Kibum would do. He would come back to his apartment after walking with them for around twenty minutes and the clock would be there right above his television remembering him that he still had one hour and forty minutes before leaving to work. So he would take this time to have a healthy breakfast and then he would use the left sixty minutes to get ready to leave for another long eight hours of work.

Today, it happened like usual. The difference was just that when he entered his room again, he smiled upon seeing Jonghyun’s back on top of his bed and platinum blonde hair all messed up upon his pillow.

He decided to dress up to work before waking up the older man, because god knows how long it would take for him to actually wake him up and not just watch him sleep, and he couldn’t be too late for work. So he went into his closet for the second time that morning and changed into regular black skinny jeans and white t-shirt. He also took a faux-leather jacket out so that he could put it on before leaving.

When he came back to the bedroom, he made his way to the bed and lied down on his side next to Jonghyun. He felt like a masoquist for a moment, because leaving the bed filled by Jonghyun’s warmth again would be really hard.

The white curtains in his room were thin, so the sun shined on the older man’s skin, making Kibum wish to stay in bed for the rest of the day and maybe a little more after that. He moved the hair away from Jonghyun’s face with his fingers and enjoyed the other’s features for a little while before actually trying to wake him up, because he looked so peaceful, it could be a sin to take him away from dreamland.

“Jjong…” Kibum started, his fingers now walking around Jonghyun’s . “I have to go to work...”

Gladly, it was enough for him to move around in the bed until he was facing up on the bed, the sheets moving down to his hips and his eyes opening slowly. When he found Kibum laying there beside him, his arms moved to fetch the younger by his waist and hold him close.

“Good morning, Key.” And Kibum hated that he found something else he loved to much about Jonghyun when he said that in a kind of husky morning voice. “I have been wishing to wake up with you for a while now, but if I knew there was so much light in your room in the morning, I would’ve bought black curtains for you first.”

Kibum couldn't suppress the loud laugh that came out of his mouth right after that.

“Regretting already?” Kibum responded playfully, making sure Jonghyun could see the smirk in his lips.

“Of course not, I'll just buy them later.” He kissed the younger's cheek while saying that.

“Get up and get dressed, I have forty minutes left before leaving for work. I'll leave you home in my way.” Kibum said, his voice suddenly demanding but Jonghyun was actually quite used to it already.

“Yes, mister.” The older moved the right instant, sitting and looking for his clothes, which he found placed on the nightstand next to his side, neatly folded by Kibum.

Kibum took the time to just watch him and got on his knees on top of the bed when Jonghyun got up, already dressed in his jeans and black sleeveless shirt. The younger moved to him and holded him by the waist in a loose hug so he could also look at Jonghyun's eyes.

“Happy birthday.” And this time his voice was sweet and caring and Jonghyun smiled because Kibum was always a new surprise.

“Thank you.” It was what he said before putting his lips on top of Kibum's, his hands placed on the latter's neck.

After Kibum gave Jonghyun a purple toothbrush to brush his teeth and feed him with some fruits and eggs, they were ready to go. Jonghyun left his car when they got to his apartment building, but not before kissing him passionately. Gladly, Kibum managed to get to work on time.

Kibum worked for a big enterprise on the fashion field and his job was to be the creative mind behind the development and designs of the materials. His position was what they call a Garment Technologist and he loved what he did. He was inside the brand's name as a innovator, but could also use his opinions on the actual products design and it was a dream job for him.

Today was a regular day at work. The new collection was still to be fully produced so Kibum only had papers to review and observations to be made on them. It was the boring part of his job, some would say, but he still enjoyed it pretty much. It was good not having to run around the building for some weeks. So when his personal phone ringed, showing an unknown number, he had the opportunity to answer in total peace even though it was during worrking hours.

“Hello?” Kibum’s tone was calm and there were still some papers in his hand, which he left aside on top of the pile he had on his table by his right.

“Hello, this is Lee Taemin-ssi.” Kibum's face showed a confused expression when the person on line introduced himself. “Is this Jonghyun's boyfriend, Kibum?”

And then Kibum's eyes lighted when he suddenly realized who it was.

“Oh, Lee Taemin. Yes, yes, I've heard about you. Yes, this is Kibum.” Kibum tried to sound nice and polite, this was Jonghyun's beloved dongsaeng and he haven't had the chance to meet him yet.

Jonghyun talked about his friends Jinki and Taemin a lot, so Kibum could notice he had a really soft place in his heart for them. While Jinki was his Hyung, who he would lean on more, Taemin was a three years younger dongsaeng for whom Jonghyun cared about a lot. Kibum knew both Jinki and Taemin where reality important people in Jonghyun's life, so he wished they would like him too.

“Oh, I was scared I got the wrong number.” Kibum heard a funny laugh filling his ears. “Listen, we bought drinks and a cake. Jonghyun hyung doesn't know about it, I’ll made up an excuse for him to come over. We thought it would be nice if you came to. It’s just a little surprise for him from those he love. It will be me, Jinki and you, of course.” This time, Kibum heard a muffled scream on the background. “Oh, yeah! Jonghyun told us he really liked your friend Minho too, so you should bring him.”

Kibum introduced Jonghyun and Minho two weeks ago. It was Friday night and the three of them had a couple of beers and ate teokbokki at Dongdaemun Night Market. Kibum did remember smiling because Jonghyun liked meeting Minho.

“Oh, sure! I think Jonghyun will really like it. We will be there, yeah!” Kibum became excited with the idea because if he knew Jonghyun well, he would know the older would have the time of his life with something like this.

“That's awesome! Alright, be here by 7:30pm. I'll get him to come at 8pm. I’ll send you the adress in a text message. It was nice talking to you, Kibum-ssi.” Taemin said and Kibum smiled because he sound too cute to his own being.

“Okay, then! It was nice talking to you too, Taemin. See you later!” And Kibum turned off the call whem he heard the other answer him with another ‘see you later’.

The rest of the day moved fast and gladly peacefully. He called Minho during his lunch hour and the other was super excited with the idea of celebrating Jonghyun’s birthday because if there was people and silly partying, Minho was always sure to be a part of it, since he was the kind of person that would make sure the cake ended up all over Jonghyun’s face.

Jonghyun also called him during the day, telling him he would have to go to Taemin and Jinki's shared apartment at 8pm because the younger needed his help to fix something Kibum couldn't actually remember in his piano. Kibum knew it was all a lie Taemin made up so it didn't matter anyway. Jonghyun also told him during the call that even though he would probably take some hours with Taemin’s piano problem, he wanted to see him again today. Kibum also had plans for them after their little get together so he just told the other to go to his apartment when he was finished, even if he knew they would probably just head there together late at night because they would be together at Taemin's.

So it was around 7:20pm when Minho picked Kibum up in front of his building. Taemin's building wasn't really that far from Kibum's so it was fine to go home walking later, because Jonghyun would probably notice his car parked outside if he had used it.  When they got to the adress, Kibum checked his phone again for the floor and apartment number in the text Taemin had sent him earlier, putting it back in his pocket when he got what he needed and heading to the speaker outside while Minho decided to tell him about the girl he have been going out with, who was, in his friend's word "really gorgeous".

"Who is it?" A soft unknown voice was heard after Kibum pressed the numbers and the machine buzzed for a while.

"Is this Taemin and Jinki's apartment?" Kibum let his voice be heard while he pressed the small button.

"Yeah, yeah! Is this Kibum? Come in!" The same voice spoke again and Kibum presumed it belonged to Jinki, since he had talked to Taemin before and he would recognize his voice, probably.

Soon the big gate made a bigger buzzing sound and Kibum knew it was time for them to go into the building. And when they finally made into the floor and knocked on the door, the man who opened the door for them had a really cute and charming smile.

"Ah, come in, come in!" The man ushered them inside. "It's nice meeting you guys! I'm Lee Jinki."

"I'm Kim Kibum and this is Choi Minho." Kibum introduced them while bowing and Minho uttered a small ‘It's nice meeting you too!’ after him.

“Come in, Taemin is inside. I’m finishing up the table.” Jinki said while closing the door.

Soon the three of them were in the living room and saw the twenty four years old male sitting on the ground playing video games. It was a small and basic apartment, but had some interesting things around, like a big piano and a big television screen that right now played some old-fashioned football game, in which Minho was really interested. So a couple of minutes later, after Taemin paused the game to greet everyone, the latter and Minho were together in from of the television playing a multiplayer round and Kibum had joined Jinki in the small kitchen.

“I bought champagne!” Kibum handed Jinki the bottle in his hand, a funny smile in his face and a knowing look through his eyes. “Just to light up the mood.”

“Yeah, sure.” Jinki laughed at him. “Jonghyun should be coming in ten, so let’s arrange the table. I ordered some food because I know Taemin only bought that cake to throw it in Jonghyun’s face.” The older said while taking some bags out of the kitchen counter and placing it on top of the table.

“Minho will be sure to help him, then.” Kibum commented aloud, even though it sound more like a complain than anything else.

Kibum helped Jinki to put the dishes on the table and organize everything. When they were finished, Jinki took out of the fridge a box that Kibum could only think that had a cake inside, and placed it in the top of the kitchen counter. Then he asked Kibum’s help to take out of the fridge the drinks he and Taemin had bought.

“So…” Jinki started, making Kibum look at him immediately. “You and Jonghyun are doing really well, huh?”

“We are, yeah.” Kibum answered but lowered his head because no one had asked him that before so he blushed like a sixteen year old would.

“I’m happy. For you two, I mean. I can see Jonghyun have been really cheerful since he met you, so I’m happy. We know each other for a long time now and I’ve seen Jonghyun going through a lot, but nowadays his smile is big and sincere. So I hope you guys can stay together for a long time.” Kibum would never be able to describe all the feelings he experienced by listening to Jinki’s words. He was only sure that there was a big loving smile in his face.

“I hope so too…” Forever.

And then, the door knock was heard, along with Jonghyun’s sweet voice calling for Taemin's name. Jinki got the cake and asked Kibum to get the lighter near the oven, and they went to the entrance hall where Taemin and Minho were already at. It didn't take long for them to light up the candles and open the door for a surprised Jonghyun.

Kibum took the whole 30 seconds of the happy birthday song to watch Jonghyun with full attention. He saw how his eyes got big at first and then how his expression changed to such a thankful and loving one. He saw how he smiled as he looked at him with a bit of surprised to see him there. He saw when he looked at his eyes right before closing his eyes to make a wish before blowing the candles.

And then Kibum wished Jonghyun had wished for him.

It didn't take long for Taemin to take the candles out of the cake and run around the apartment, chasing Jonghyun with the cake in hand. He eventually got what he wished for, because Minho holded the shorter man in place and Taemin smiled big when the white frosting was all over Jonghyun's face.

Their night was fun. After helping Jonghyun cleaning up, Kibum came back with the birthday boy and the other three were already on the table eating and drinking, so they joined them without much thinking. They ate while getting to know each other and discovering how good they all fit together. They shared stories and laughter and soon it was like everyone knew everyone for years.

It felt special and family-like. It was comfortable and they all loved it.

It was almost 11pm when Taemin had drunk so much he starting talking nonsense and they decided to call it a night. The rest of them haven't exaggerated on the drinks so they could clean up the mess just fine while Taemin layed on the couch. When they were finished, Minho was the first to decide to go, but not before wishing Jonghyun a personal happy birthday and asking the couple if they didn't want a ride. Kibum denied and say they would walk, because he was kind of addicted with walking around with his boyfriend now.

And so they did. After they bid their goodbyes to Jinki and a half awake Taemin, both of them peaceful walked the fifteen minutes it took from Taemin and Jinki's apartment to Kibum's. Holding hands and enjoy the others presence. It was enough. It was amazing.

It was exactly 11:25pm when they got to Kibum's apartment. They took off their shoes on the doorway, like usual, and walked right to the couch when they got to the living room. Both of them sitted straight but Jonghyun unconsciously allowed his body to lean on Kibum's side.

“I got you something.” Kibum said it. Jonghyun moved his head to the side to see Kibum's now open hand that held two rings.

“Are you asking me to marry you?” Jonghyun asked in a joking tone, his body slowly waking up in order to be able to look into Kibum's eyes again.

“It depends. Are you going to say yes?” The younger responded in the same tone, a playfull smirk running through his lips. But that suddenly went away, because Kibum was serious when he spoke again. “This are just regular couple rings. I don't know what’s your opinion on this kind of things. I personally think they're really lame. But for some reason, I found myself wanting to wear them with you.”

“Is it a good thing?” It was more a joke than an actual question, because Jonghyun knew Kibum well enough to know what this actually mean.

“Of course. We'll be lame together.” Kibum said with a small smile and Jonghyun smiled too by hearing it. “So?”

Jonghyun responded by placing his right hand on the air in front of Kibum, a cheesy smile on his face. Kibum placed the ring in Jonghyun's fingers and then offered his hand and the other ring for Jonghyun to do the same for him. Kibum smiled when he did.

“This means you can't get rid of me.” Kibum spoke again, the playful tone coming back to his voice.

“I don't want to.” This were the words Jonghyun slowly uttered before leaning in to kiss Kibum in a way he hoped could show him how many other rings he wished to share with him in the future.