Chapter 1

The Story In Which You Exist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was him.

He had dreamt of him again. He had taken over his dreams again recently. Every so often, Jonghyun dreamt of him and when he did, he didn't want to wake up.

But vampires don't dream. Jonghyun did, however.

The night sounds got louder as his body slowly woke up. It was times like these where he wished he didn't wake up-- he wanted to stay dreaming forever and be with him. It was times like these where he wished his forever ended; forever was too painful.

It has been half a millennia since he had last seen him.

Him.

Kibum.

He can still remember that smile-- beautiful and full of life. The way his eyes crinkled when he laughed still made Jonghyun's blood sing in happiness. The way his gaze fell upon Jonghyun when words of love were whispered still made his old heart weep.

It has been half a millennia since Kibum last breathed his last breath.

Jonghyun sat up. The last thing he needed was to go down memory lane again. He ran his hands through his white hair and swept the thin sheets from his body. He needed to get ready to meet up with Jinki. He told the elder about his dreams and that he wanted his input on some of them. Perhaps they had a meaning.

 

Perhaps they didn’t.

 

Jonghyun didn’t want to think the latter. He had a small hope they had some meaning. Kibum was a human and from Jonghyun’s understanding, they had souls.

 

Perhaps Kibum’s soul was calling out to him?

 

He would gladly answer that calling.

 

For centuries, he has wondered just where Kibum’s soul drifted to. Was he lonely? Was he happy? Did he remember Jonghyun? Questions that he thinks will never be answered.

 

He stood up and walked to the bathroom. Nowadays, he stayed at an upscale apartment in Gangnam. He didn’t really care where he stayed. Sometimes, he lived somewhere far away where no one would look. Sometimes, he lived in the middle of a city just because he grew bored of the isolated lifestyle-- it just depended on his mood. This time, he chose a luxury apartment that overlooked the city. He liked to people watch sometimes. Humans were fascinating when they thought no one was looking.

 

Right before he got in the shower, he glanced at himself in the mirror. There was a myth that vampires didn’t own a reflection; however, here Jonghyun was looking at himself. His eyes glazed over his slightly tanned skin-- another myth: humans believed vampires to be pale. A vampire’s eyes were supposedly a dead giveaway, humans have said. A vampire’s eyes were supposed to be an unnatural color...yet, Jonghyun’s were brown. His eyes did reflect in the dark, however, so perhaps that was the unnaturalness of his eyes.

 

After his shower, he got dressed and quickly left his place. He was to meet Jinki at a cafe nearby. Luckily, this cafe closed pretty late. It was a perfect meetup.

 

As Jonghyun walked past the late crowd of humans, the bitter cold wind sliced through his upper body.

 

He should have worn a scarf. Most people around him were.Jonghyun didn’t bother putting a winter coat on. The cold didn’t bother him, but the looks did.

 

As the familiar lights of the cafe became visible, he quickened his pace. He wanted answers and hopefully Jinki had them.

 

“Jonghyun.”

 

He turned to the sound of his name. There Jinki was, in winter clothing, with his gaze glued on him. Jinki smiled, nodding over to an empty table nearby. Jonghyun nodded in greeting and followed the elder.

 

They sat down and Jinki unwrapped his scarf from his neck. So human-like.

 

“So, long time no see, my friend.”

 

“Jinki. It’s been a while,” Jonghyun answered, raising a questioning eyebrow to Jinki’s human behavior. Jinki has become so human...Well, as human as he could appear to be.

 

Jinki let out a breath. “So, these dreams,” he started, “Kibum has appeared in them?”

 

“Yes,” Jonghyun looked away-- Kibum’s name was still hard to hear. “Kibum has appeared once again. This time..” he paused. He looked back towards his friend, “This time...he spoke.”

 

Jinki nodded in surprise. “What did he say?” He was surprised. Jonghyun’s past lover never once spoke in his dreams.

 

“He keeps saying to find him. To look for him.” Kibum has been appearing in Jonghyun’s dreams, teasing him, smiling at him, demanding Jonghyun look for him. ‘Look for me, Jjong’ he would start, ‘Look for me. I’m waiting.’ And he would then disappear.

 

Jinki blinked. “That is strange. How long have you been having these particular dreams where he speaks?”

 

“For 19 years.”

 

“And you just decided to tell me?”

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “19 years is a small amount of time. I didn't really think anything of it. My curiosity grew once he started telling me to look for him.”

 

The elder sighed. “Your dreams are peculiar, I'll admit. I think you may need to answer him.”

 

“How?”

 

“That I do not know. Have you spoken to Taemin lately?” Taemin was the youngest pureblood of their group.

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “I haven't seen him in a few decades. I tried looking for him but you know him.. when he doesn't want to be found, it is near impossible to find him.”

 

“True,” Jinki grinned, “Taemin is a free spirit. He likes to remain alone when he's in a mood.”

 

“How's Minho?” Jonghyun was curious about him. He hasn't seen Minho in a century. Minho was another pureblood-- he was from the Choi bloodline, one of the most respected.

 

“Last time I heard,” Jinki started, “he was in Italy. Venice to be precise. He enjoys the Italian skyline the best.”

 

That Minho, ever the romantic, Jonghyun thought. He vaguely wondered how Minho’s feast

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter