Missing

antidote

Hello Yena. Meet your new nurse.

I watched the strange girl stand at the door frame, completely dissolved in his own little world. Her lost gaze made me feel unimportant, invisible. Not that I wanted any attention on me. The most I had of that was when my parents forced me to sing in contests when I was young. It’s just... weird, and really awkward. I wished she just spoke to me. Or looked at me, at least, out of politeness or something.

She was a little cute though, I had to admit. She had light skin and light brown, almost blonde hair that fell past her shoulders. Her bangs covers her forehead, and her dark brown eyes were mesmerizing. She was good looking. Her pouty lips sort of makes her look like a duck, but it kind of adds more to her charm. A sulky, mysterious, pouty duck.

She stood there longer as I counted the seconds in my head. Maybe I'm supposed to get her to the bed? Ideas swam through my head of what I could do, or what I was supposed to do. What if I'm not cut out for hospital work?

Time ticked by and the girl finally sighed. I glanced back at her, seeing that she had come back to earth. She glared at me, frustrated for some reason. I felt my stomach knot. God, what am I supposed to do?

"I'm Jo Yuri," I greeted timidly from across the room. I sat on an armchair, my knees together and my hands on my lap. I’ve always been a little shy. Will this make this job even more of a challenge for me? “You must be Yena,” I confirmed.

She didn't respond or nod. She simple stared at me, glaring. My stomach knotted more. Usually, any person with good manners would at least respond, but the girl stayed silent. It made me feel a little disrespected, and that frustrated me. I sighed myself. Time is moving slowly. I thought, looking down at my shoes. Black gym shoes, simple and plain. I peeked back up from under my eye lashes. She was gone.

I lifted my head up, confused. Huh? I looked around the room urgently, slowly getting up from the hospital chair. Great. First day and already I lost my patient. I started looking around.

I walked toward the dark bathroom, a little scared. Er, this is a little creepy. I sighed in relief that Yena, or anything for that matter, was not creeping in the cramped space.

I opened the regular door and looked right, then left. No sign of the girl. How could someone be so silent? I bit down on my lip uneasily, growing more alert. I tried to remember babysitting. The little kids would always run around the house, and I had found them after searching. This may just be a new game of hide and seek.

I went down the hall, looking into a few rooms where patients were. They all had the hospital gown on and were inside their assigned room. Why couldn't Yena be like that? Already, I felt hatred for the girl. Did she know how much trouble I'd be in if she literally left my sight for a second? I walked into the cafeteria and saw the familiar tall model I’d ran into earlier. I ran up to the happy-go-lucky girl, who smiled happily. 

“HI!" She called, waving at me. I stopped in front of her as she took in my concerned expression. "What's wrong?" She asked, getting worried herself.

"My patient, Yena, she’s missing!" I yelled, in a shaky voice. She slapped a hand onto my mouth with a flat expression.

"Hehe, you shouldn't be so loud, you know! You'll give everyone a little scare!" Already I could see what she meant, a few other workers watching us strangely after my odd outburst. She released her hand and grabbed my arm. "C'mon, this way!" She laughed and led me out to an empty hallway.

"Y-yena is gone! She was just in the room and then she wasn't and I kept looking, but I don't know how…" I must have been talking fast because her confused expression deepened. "You see, the other nurse brought her in and I was talking to her, then she was gone! Just disappeared in a second. Can you help me find her?" I pleaded.

Realization hit her as everything sank in, then she was pumped again. 

“That's not good! Let's go look!" She cheered, marching toward the doors. I smiled under all the stress. A real friend.

We searched the whole hospital with no luck. She didn't seem to be anywhere, and I had wondered if I had just imagined meeting the strange girl. By 3pm, I gave up, sinking into a waiting chair. "I'm sorry I brought you into this mess." I murmured to the girl. She must hate me.

To my surprise, she started laughing. "Sorry? Are you kidding? I've never had this much fun in this place! It's always so boring. Finding a run away patient sounds much cooler than all the jobs here, combined!" She stated happily. I looked at her strangely. She was… happy?

"Oh! By the way, I'm Ahn Yujin." She gave me a salute and winked. I smiled back.

"Jo Yuri." We beamed at each other when Eunbi came up to us.

"Yuri? Yujin? What are you two doing here?" She questioned, confused. She no longer wore the glasses, making her beauty stunning.

"Uh, sorry. I…kind of…can't find my patient," I whispered nervously. Wow, I'm fired. I didn't dare look up at Eunbi’s face. I was too embarrassed. A few second went by as we waited in silence.

"What are you talking about?" She asked again and I almost fell off the chair. Geez.

"Yena’s not in her room. I don't know what happened to her so I asked Yujin for help," I muttered. She stared blankly. "B-But it isn't her fault! I was only thinking about myself and dragged her into my mess. I didn't mean to take her away from her job." Her eyes became gentle now.

"Let's go," she stated, walking toward the elevator. I looked at Yujin confused as she reflected my look. Then we followed Eunbi.

The elevator took us to the second floor again as we stepped out and headed to Yena’s room. Eunbi opened the door and I gasped. Yena lay on top of the bed, arms behind head as she stared at the ceiling. First, relief filled me inside, and even a joy that we had found her. Then, once that wore off, I felt mad and frustrated. She was here the whole time?

"Looks like she’s been playing tricks on you." Eunbi pointed at her, seeming a little angry herself. "Don't take it personal. She likes to play mind games like that. Try not to fall for them, okay?" She smiled and I smiled back, though it was only out of appreciation for her. "Come on, Yujin. You're needed back in your department." She grabbed Yujin by the arm and softly began pulling her away.

"All right. Bye, Yuri-unnie!" Yujin called, waving. I waved back. The silence returned and I felt uncomfortable again. Mind games? This patient gets weirder and weirder.

I returned to my seat across from the bed and grabbed the clipboard. I looked at the first question. 1. What is your patient's personality? I grabbed my pen and scribbled down the answer. Quiet, sneaky, likes to play tricks. I paused for a second, looking up at Yena before adding quickly A duck. That suited her. I looked up from the clipboard to check on Yena. She still lay on the bed, staring up. I felt like speaking up.

"Do you enjoy messing with people?" I demanded suddenly. I must be going crazy. When did I get such a big mouth? She ignored the question and I thought I saw the corner of twitch, as if she were snickering. My eyes narrowed. "Do you ever plan to speak with me?" I tried another question, but it was still the same. No response. I looked up at the ceiling, bored, then at the clock. It was already three thirty. Thirty more minutes, I reminded myself.

Silence engulfed us as I took peeks at Yena. She was still emotionless. I wondered if her behavior was always like this. It was four as I grabbed my stuff and headed toward the door. I took a last glance at Yena, who's head was turned in my direction, watching me leave with an almost longing look. I ignored the strange look and continued out. This was the beginning of a challenging assignment.