Chapter 2

The Fill in Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I smiled. I couldn't help it. He was actually wearing a suit---black, with a light grey tie that matched his silver hair. His glasses were gone and he was tall.

  This was exactly what I needed. We'de be seen. He could break up with me at the end of the night. No smug look from Jennie, no pitty sighs from Ailee, and no just-tell-the-truth head tilts from Rose. And it would be close to the truth. My fill-in guy was just rearranging tonight's order of events for me a little. There was no harm in that. Especially if it kept the quarter-evil Jennie at bay.

"Hi," I said, approaching his car, where he still stood by the open door as if he hadn't completely committed to this idea yet. "You look amazing." My eyes went to his hair that I could see better now that I was closer. It was a mess. A mess that he had tried to tame, it seemed.

"Sit for a sec." I pointed to the seat of his car. He raised an eyebrow but obeyed. I fished a small comb from my clutch and used it to style his hair. When it was off his forehead and styled as if it had been pushed back I gave a satisfied nod.

"You clean up well."

He let out a sigh. "Let's get this over with."

He stood and offered me an elbow. I grabbed his hand instead and pulled him towards the gym.

"Whoa. Hold on there," he said, my body jerking to a halt, which wasn't very fun in my heels. "I need a little backstory here. You are trying to convince your friends we really know each other, yes?"

"Oh, right. Let's see."

"A name would be a good start."

I laughed. I hadn't even told him my name. "I'm Gia Montgomery. Seventeen. Senior here at lovely Freemont High. I'm on the student council and don't usually have to beg for dates. As in, I never have before today."

"Noted"

"And for the next two hours, you are Byun Baekhyun. Junior at UCLA, which is why my parent disapprove, by the way. They think you're too old for me."

"I am," he said

I wasn't sure if he was talking about Baekhyun or himself. I thought he had implied earlier that he was in high school. "How old are you?"

"If I'm a junior that would make me at least, what? Twenty-one?"

He was talking about Baekhyun. I rolled my eyes. "Yes, But that's only four years older than me."

"Which wouldn't be the end of the world if you weren't still in high school. And underage."

"I'm only in high school for five more weeks and you sound like my parents now." 

He shrugged. "They sound like good parents."

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore.  At the end of the night, you get to break up with me. In front of friends, preferably. Try not to make a big show of it. Quickly and quietly. Then, like the real Baekhyun, you can walk away forever and this will be over." A lump formed in my throat as I said that, as I pictured Baekhyun walking away from me as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do. I pushed the image away and offered him a smile.

"I can handle that."

"Good. So what about your sister? Is she going to give us trouble in there? Run across the gym screaming your name?"

"No. My sister will not expect me to be in there. And she's really into her date. But if I see her coming, I'll make sure to head her off and fill her in. She's cool. She'll play along."

"Why don't you text her? Just in case." 

"I would, but in my quick change, I forgot my phone." He patted his pockets to show me he was serious.

"She'll be cool?"

"She'll be cool."

"Okay, I think we're set, then."

He smirked at me like I was missing something obvious.

"What?"

"Nothing. Let's go." He had a slow confident step as he walked with me to the gym. He didn't even seem to mind holding my hand.

  Just inside the door, I handed the prom tickets I had purchased over to the teacher behind the table. The music was loud--a live band--and not very good. The band was the winner of the auditions we had held for this event, so they were the best of the worst. Last year we had hired a popular local band, but with "more affordable" ticket prices, Mr. Lund said we didn't have the budget for it this year.

  I saw my friends and their dates across the room, standing around a high table. I closed my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter