-♡-

Childish Nonsense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you have someone you’re in love with, little Donghae?” his aunt asked while they were sitting at the table. It was his dad’s birthday, and whole family gathered together to celebrate such a big day.

“He’s just five,” he remembers his mother saying. “He’s not familiar with it.”

“I do!” the boy replied proudly with a wide smile on his face.

Everyone looked at him.

“Oh, you do?” his father asked, and the boy nodded. “Who is a lucky girl?”

Donghae chuckled softly, making everyone coo at his cuteness, and shook his head.

“It’s not a girl,” he said. “But a Moon!”

Now that was adults’ turn to laugh.

“Told you,” his mother said. “He doesn’t even know the meaning of being in love.”

“That’s adorable though,” someone said. “He loves the Moon, such a cutie.”

“While being a ray of sunshine, he loves the Moon. So romantic!”

And it went on, and on, and on. No one took his reply seriously, everyone thought it was nothing but a childish nonsense, they thought he doesn’t know the meaning of love yet.

But Donghae knew. Even when he was five, he knew.

The Moon wasn’t a real person. Yet. It was just an imaginable person Donghae knew he will for sure fall in love with. Someone who will make him happy, someone whom he wants to make happy. Someone whom he will call the Moon of his life. And he will be the Sun of that person’s life. He knew it will happen, and who knows?

Maybe his confidence made those childish thoughts to become something real.

***

His mother told him there will be a lot of people who will try to get close to him. There will be a lot of people who will cook for him, who will write him love letters with quotes from the romantic movies.

But there will be one person who will bother to remember his favorite meal and his favorite movie, and it will make him happier than he felt before.

“I want to re-watch ‘Titanic’,” Donghae said, and everyone among his friends rolled their eyes. Almost everyone.

“You’re re-watching it at least once per week,” Kyuhyun snorted. “Aren’t you sick of it?”

“Am not!” he shook his head. “It’s just so beautiful, so romantic, so exciting, so…”

“Boring,” Heechul said.

“It isn't!”

“Maybe it wasn’t for the first 20 times, but it definitely became boring after watching it so often,” the latter shrugged.

“Oh, Heechul hyung, please,” Donghae tried to use his best weapon – the puppy eyes. “Can you watch it with me? You know there’s no fun to watch the movie alone.”

“No, no, no, no and once again, no,” the guy shook his head. “I think I can repeat any line from that movie already. You won’t make me watch it one more time.”

“Kyu?” Donghae tried once again, but got the same reply.

No. No one wanted to watch it with him. He could understand them; not everyone was so fond of watching the movies that often. The same movie, to be precise. But he really wasn’t able to watch it alone (it’s impossible for him to watch any movie alone, he felt so lonely and wanted to talk to someone and discuss what's happening), but he really wanted to watch it, and just… just…

“This is your favorite movie, right?” he heard the voice, and looked at the person who spoke.

It was Hyukjae. He was new to their company; they just started hanging out together a week ago or so. It’s not like Donghae didn’t want to ask him to watch 'Titanic' together, it’s just…

He wasn’t a shy person when it came to talking to people, but this Hyukjae guy for sure made him feel as one. Whenever he smiled, Donghae felt the strange urge to smile back, and it made him feel like a silly kid. Whenever the guy spoke, Donghae kept looking at him, but failed to hear what exactly he was saying, and so he for sure looked weird after asking to repeat it again and again. But he just couldn’t not to look at a person who had so mesmerizing eyes, such a contagious smile, such a beautiful voice. He couldn’t.

He wondered how was it possible for someone who was so perfect to exist. He wondered if Heechul and Kyuhyun felt the same way too.

“R-right,” he couldn’t help but stuttered, and his friends smiled as if they knew something he didn’t, while Hyukjae’s soft smile only became wider.

“Maybe you want to watch it with me?” he asked; he looked pretty confident, however, Donghae noticed how the latter’s hands were shaking.

Maybe he was nervous because he thought Donghae doesn’t want to be friends with him? Was it because of the latter’s weird behavior when Hyukjae was around?

“Of course!” he replied cheerfully; maybe he sounded even a bit too cheerful. “I would love to! We all are friends here, right?”

Hyukjae’s hands stopped shaking. Maybe Donghae was right.

“You’re such a good friend,” he said.

“And dumb,” Kyuhyun commented, but Heechul hit him under his ribs.

“Why are you calling me names?” Donghae asked, sounding a bit hurt.

“He’s dumb himself and just wants everyone to be on his level,” Heechul shrugged again and looked at Hyukjae. “Hyukjae knows we all are friends, but we still need some time to learn more about each other. Even though he already knows a lot about some of us.”

If the gaze could kill, Heechul would already be dead because of the look Hyukjae gave him.

“You know a lot about us?” Donghae asked, looking at the latter and being completely oblivious to the situation. “How?”

“I, uh…” Hyukjae stammered for a second. “I wanted to become your friend for a long time already.”

The boy’s eyes widened.

“You did?! But how? I never noticed you before.”

“You didn’t. But I did. I mean, I noticed you. For example, I noticed you buying pudding in the school canteen every day. Strawberry pudding. This is your favorite, right?”

“Right!” Donghae nodded excitedly. “I love it! Especially in those small packs, I love eating them one by one.”

“You look really adorable when you do that.”

“Huh?”

“Should I bring some when we will watch ‘Titanic’ together?”

A weird warm feeling appeared inside of Donghae’s chest when he heard those words. All of his friends knew about his love to a strawberry pudding and tried to give him some from time to time, but he was really flattered Hyukjae remembered what he likes the most.

And he felt he will love watching ‘Titanic’ with him.

***

Donghae’s mother told him there will be a lot of people he will cherish and would love to take care of. But there will be only one special someone he will be extremely happy to show all his support to and will be glad to see their smile.

There was the dance competition in their small town Hyukjae really wanted to participate in. The winner will get a chance to go to Seoul and perform on a TV show, and they could even win a money prize, and Donghae was sure his friend will be able to do that.

However, Hyukjae was really nervous.

He kept practicing day and night

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter