ch1

who knows

chaewon is sleeping soundly on her desk when thick files are thrown on it. she wakes up at the loud sound and rubs her eyes sleepily. 

"chaewon, we need you to search the CCTVs around yeouido park," soojung says. 

chaewon yawns. it's 1pm, why is she even awake? 

"what for?" 

"a kidnapping." 

chaewon stares at soojung in disbelief, "you're kidding me, right? i'm going back to sleep." 

her head lolls back down on the table, but soojung tickles her and she sits straight back up immediately. 

"okay, okay, fine. but you're really asking me to deal with a simple kidnapping case? don't you have detectives you pay to do that?"  

chaewon isn't officially employed by the agency because she doesn't have the required education to. but soojung's employees are terrible (they're not, chaewon just has the nose of a dog) and she's the only family chaewon has left. 

so chaewon does her cousin duties and helps soojung with the harder cases. soojung's best friend, mijoo, owns the agency and gave chaewon her own desk after she helped them with two difficult cases. 

it's not terrible. soojung earns a decent amount of money and she gets a big cut from mijoo whenever she helps in the hard ones. they're never short on food or anything. it's a pretty simple life. 

(maybe chaewon's grades are suffering because of this job but who cares)

"you know Kwon Electronics right?" 

chaewon hums. it's one of the biggest electronics corporations in korea. 

"the owner's daughter got kidnapped," soojung opens a file and shows it to chaewon. 

"and i'm supposed to help how? soojung, we're a detective agency, not the police force."

"first of all you're not even employed here, . secondly, i don't know why either, but they specifically asked us for help, and the price they're paying is high." 

chaewon's ears perk up. 

"okay, so how old is this child i have to save?" 

"actually, she's 24."

"what the ?" 

"trust me, i reacted the same way," soojung says, "her family's pretty shocked too. apparently she was always pretty tactful."

"if she actually was, she wouldn't be kidnapped when she's twenty ing four," chaewon rolls her eyes, "and now she needs a girl who's five whole years younger than her to help her? damn i wouldn't wanna be her." 

"chaewon, this is serious. she's the heir to the whole company, you know, she can't be that stupid. they're suspecting rival companies, but finding out who's behind it isn't the priority for now. finding this girl is." 

"yes, mom," she starts up the computer, "how does she look like?" 

"um... blonde hair, around 1.6m? she was last at yeouido park. her name is kwon eunbi," soojung places a hand on chaewon's chair and bends forward to get a better look at the screen. 

chaewon types rapidly on her keyboard and she manages to get footage of the CCTVs at the park. she plays it and the both of them watch the screen. 

"there!" soojung points at one of the small screens, "there's a blonde girl with a guy! oh wait they're making out, maybe not then."

chaewon turns to her cousin and rolls her eyes, before turning it back to the screen, "i mean i don't think we should rule them out, but let's continue watching." 

soojung laughs, "oh, i didn't tell you. apparently she's a raging homoual, so i really doubt she'd be making out with a guy." 

chaewon raises an eyebrow. 'a lesbian is going to take over a large corporation? the gays just keep winning huh,' she thinks. 

they continue watching the screen, until three of the screens turn completely black for a second, before showing glitches screens. 

"huh," chaewon says, "someone tampered with the footage. seems like this was really well planned." 

soojung slaps her forehead, "and this was our only lead too..." 

chaewon hums, "but not well enough."

she minimizes the CCTV window and starts typing weird words and symbols soojung doesn't recognise.

"what're you doing?" 

"trying to see if i salvage the original file," chaewon's eyes don't leave the screen and her fingers continue dancing across the keyboard. 

"you can do that?" 

"how do you think i solved that murder y'all struggled with for 8 months?" 

"where the hell did you even learn this from?"

"what do you think i was doing on the laptop whenever you came over to our house when we were younger?" 

"i don't know, play games like a normal 7 year old would???" 

chaewon tilts her head from side to side then turns to her cousin and nods, "fair enough." 

she looks back at the computer and smirks, "there we go," she hits the enter key really loudly and leans back in her chair smugly, making soojung trip slightly. 

the video starts playing.

a blonde girl stood by the railing with a man, who seemed to be shouting at the girl.

chaewon rolls her eyes, "you'd think that in the year 2019 CCTVs would be able to capture audio, but you'd be wrong." 

soojung shushes her. 

the man got too close and the blonde girl pushed him away. the man looked really angry and raised a fist at the girl. 

chaewon scoffs, "men." 

soojung actually nods in agreement this time. 

all of a sudden, about 4 men dressed in pure black appeared on screen. they grabbed the blonde girl, and the man looked as confused as the girl was. 

he tried to fight the men in black but they pushed him to the ground and left and covered the blonde's nose and mouth with a cloth (presumably with chloroform applied). 

"okay...." chaewon trails and turns around to look at soojung, "so..."

"i'm going to get into contact with that man now, continue looking through the tapes for other things," soojung instructs.

"roger that," chaewon gives soojung a salute and turns back to her computer.

soojung hurriedly walks over to mijoo, who says something to some of the other detectives before leaving the office. 

chaewon continues looking for other corrupted files to salvage and she finds one such file from the CCTV at the carpark. 

she smirks, "bingo." 

she looks through the tape and sees a carplate number. noting it down, she sends soojung a text before taking another nap at her desk. 

chaewon is yet again rudely awakened, this time by yein, one of the newer detectives who joined slighty after chaewon unofficially did. 

"i swear to god soojung i was having an amazing dr- oh yein it's you. what's up?" chaewon stretches in her chair. 

"you really should stop sleeping at your desk, it's bad for your body," yein scolds and chaewon just laughs. 

yein isn't like the other detectives. she is actually fun to be around when work wasn't involved.

"you surely didn't wake me up to lecture me about that, right?" 

yein shakes her head, "soojung and mijoo are interrogating the man that was with kwon eunbi now. soojung asked me to wake you up because they managed to track the carplate number you sent her." 

chaewon raises an eyebrow, "okay... and?" 

"and they want you to go with them." 

"me??? not this again," chaewon groans, "the last time i went onsite for an investigation they gave me a baseball bat to wield." 

"c'mon, that's not so bad," yein tries to reason with her. 

"i could've died if mijoo didn't put a bullet in the guy first. i mean, what am i supposed to do with a damn baseball bat around firearms? bat the bullets away?" 

yein laughs at the thought, "i would love to help you persuade soojung, but i have another case to work on. good luck, chaewon," yein walks away and chaewon groans again. 

she deserves a pay raise. 

-

chaewon drinks a packet of weider jelly drink while waiting for soojung and mijoo outside the interrogation room. 

they come out soon after she arrives. the man isn't with them, so chaewon assumes he was still being interrogated by the other detectives. 

"oh good, you're here," soojung says, "let's go." 

"yeah, i'm gonna have to say no to that," chaewon stops soojung, "unless you give me a gun." 

"you know we can't do that," soojung frowns, "what's wrong with the baseball bat, you destroyed a bunch of goons with that the last time, didn't you?" 

chaewon hits her forehead, "and i almost died, jesus christ, soojung." 

"... fair, but do you even know how to use a gun?" 

"don't you just pull the trigger?"

"yeah, no we're not going to give you a gun."

"then i'm not going!" 

the cousins bicker and mijoo shakes her head.

"okay okay. chaewon, we'll lend you a firearm."

"but!" soojung turns to mijoo. 

"we'll let you use it, but no shooting unless you're in grave danger, okay?" 

chaewon nods and sticks her tongue out at soojung, who makes a face at her before turning away.


did i write this as an excuse to imagine chaewon as a detective? yes. 

as usual pls comment and subscribe and most importantly love woollimz bc they're so adorable together.

ALSO STREAM VIOLETA!!!!!