Mafia 2 - Misook the Lawyer

Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, Mrs Yang.” Minseok greeted Misook as she walked into Kim’s Law Firm on a cool, Monday morning. 

Misook smiled at him, “Minseok, how many times have I told you to call me Misook? We’ve been friends for years.” 

Minseok laughed at her as he handed her a coffee and a stack of files that she’d need for the day. Monday’s were always the worst days of the week for work, but Misook wasn’t bothered. She enjoyed her job; she loved getting the upper hand on the bad guys. Misook never let her job get to her; she went home at the end of every day with a smile on her face, knowing that her work had made the world a slightly better place. 

“Sorry, a force of habit when you work in a place like this,” Misook grinned at him. “You have a new client, his file is in that stack. You’re the only lawyer available who’s qualified for this type of case.”

“Thanks, Minseok.” 

Misook walked into her office and set the stack down on her desk. As the firm’s only female prosecution lawyer that specialised in major crimes, she was quite the asset. Graduating at the top of her class, Misook had been awarded the job with no questions asked. 

Before she even had time to open the files, there was a knock at the door. 

“Come in!” She answered, taking a sip of her coffee as Do Kyungsoo entered. 

“Morning, Mrs Yang, your client is here to discuss her case.” 

“Send her in.” 

A few minutes later, a tall, blonde woman who looked no older than Misook herself strolled in. High heels, fur coat, the standard ‘I’m trouble’ look, Misook had a feeling this was going to be another one of those ‘sounds worse than it actually is’ cases. 

“Good morning, please have a seat,” Misook gestured to the seat in front of her desk and the woman sat down with a huff. It was blindingly apparent that the woman wasn’t in a good mood, but Misook didn’t let that throw her. “Now, I need to ask you a few questions to do with your case so I can proceed,” 

Misook grabbed her notebook from the top drawer of her desk and prepared to write notes. 

“Can I ask for your name?” 

“Kim Yoona.” The woman answered, irritably. 

 

Misook could tell that this woman was going to be a handful, so the second she’d finished with her she went to grab another coffee. When she arrived in the kitchen, Minseok was already there. 

“Need one?” He asked, holding up a mug. 

“Definitely,” Misook replied, sighing. “Just finished with a client. This case is going to be a handful.”

“Have you read through the files yet?” 

“I didn’t have time before she arrived,” she said. 

“You’ll want to read through the fourth file, the boss wants you to watch his interrogation. Apparently, this guy is hard to read, and everybody knows you’re the best at reading people.” Minseok explained, handing Misook her coffee before dashing off. 

Once again she didn’t have time to read through the file before she was summoned to the police station. Kim Joonmyun - her boss - had accompanied her and explained the case to her in the car. Seemed like it was going to be a long day. 

Arriving at the interrogation room, Misook was ushered into the viewing bay. Specific interrogation rooms had one-way windows for exactly the purpose that Misook was there for; to decipher whether or not a suspect was lying. 

But when she saw who was in the room, her heart almost left her chest. She hadn’t seen him since she’d yelled at him all those years ago back when they were teenagers. He’d definitely grown since she’d last seen him; he’d also dyed his hair light brown and gotten a few tattoos. Slouched in the chair on the other side of the table, cuffed hands hidden from view, was the very man Misook had fallen in love with when they were just teenagers. 

“This is Kris Wu,” Joonmyun explained, eyeing him through the window. “He’s been accused of abusing his ex-girlfriend. She’s very adamant that he’s been abusing her for months.” 

Misook’s first thought was that the victim was lying. She knew this guy, she knew he wouldn’t harm anyone without good reason. He wouldn’t do such a thing…would he?

“Do you think he's guilty?” Misook questioned, eyeing her boss. 

Joonmyun hummed, “Personally, no, but as professionals, we can’t take sides. We have to view both sides of the story.” 

Misook agreed. She didn’t believe Kris was guilty either, but unfortunately for her, she was the one that was going to have to prove that he was guilty. 

“Right, what do you want me to do?” 

“Usually prosecution lawyers aren’t present during interrogations, but I need you here because you’re the only one available who’s able of telling whether a person is lying or not. I want you to interview him.” 

“Me? I’m not a police officer, I’m a lawyer.” 

“There isn’t much difference between interviewing someone in an interrogation room and cross-examining someone in court. You’ll be fine.” 

Talk is cheap. 

“Sir, I don’t know if I can do this.” 

“Sure you can.” 

 

 

After being briefed by the officer guarding the interrogation room, Misook entered with her head held high, filed clutched close to her chest. 

Kris eyed her as she sat down, but didn’t seem to recognise her at first. To him, she was just another police officer, here to interrogate him about a crime he was accused of committing. 

Opening the file, Misook skimmed her eyes over the information before she opened her notebook and began writing details. She’d been given a list of questions to ask him - though she didn’t actually need them - just in case she wasn’t sure. 

“I’m going to ask you some questions and I want you to answer them truthfully. You also have the right to say ‘no comment’, though that does make it harder for us and yourself. This interview is being recorded for future reference.” 

“Okay.” He replied, staring at her.

Misook swallowed and took a deep breath, “Are you comfortable?” 

Kris raised his eyebrow at her, “What kind of question is that?”

“Just an icebreaker,” Misook glanced up at him before returning to her notes. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter