Chapter 1

Legally Blond

“Jungkook, stop!” Taehyung giggles, flinching away from his boyfriend as he attempted to pepper kisses along his neck. “I have to get this finished before Jimin comes home!” Taehyung lightly pushes Jungkook away before turning back around to finish hanging his banner up.

“Is this all really necessary?” Jungkook asks, looking around the living room of Taehyung and Jimin’s apartment (also practically Jungkook’s since he’s over there 90% of the time anyway) at all the balloons, streamers, and other decorations Taehyung had dragged Jungkook to the nearest party store to get.

Taehyung looks at Jungkook as if what he said were the most offensive thing he’d ever heard. “Of course, it’s necessary! Jimin’s getting engaged tonight!” Taehyung turns back around to adjust the banner, wanting it to be hanging absolutely perfectly. “Proposals are the most beautiful, magical things to ever happen, so of course I’m gonna make a big deal about Sangmin proposing to my best friend!”

“Is there supposed to be an underlying hint there?” Jungkook teases Taehyung, thinking back on all the times in the past year and a half they’d been dating that Taehyung had ‘subtly’ made plans for their future wedding.

Finally satisfied with the banner, Taehyung turns to face his boyfriend, wrapping his arms around the younger male. “Of course not! We have a plan!” Jungkook wraps his arms around Taehyung’s waist and pulls him closer so there’s barely any distance between them. “I’m going to graduate this winter and start up a freelance photography business to support us while you finish school and while I audition until I get a role in a drama or movie. Then when you graduate in two years, you’re going to apply to all the best film companies in the country, and before you know it, you’ll be the most sought out director.” Jungkook chuckles a bit at Taehyung’s comment. “Once we’ve made it big, then we’ll get engaged, and then we’ll be the it couple that everyone wants to be.”

That’s one of the things Jungkook loves most about Taehyung, how big of a dreamer he is. He remembers back in his first semester, when they’d only been dating a couple of months. He hadn’t done so well on a midterm and it had caused him to have a mini breakdown where he almost dropped out of college completely. Well Taehyung painted out a whole future of Jungkook becoming one of the best film directors of this generation, and it didn’t take long for Jungkook to decide to stick with college so that he could live out the dream Taehyung had for him. “I love you and your beautiful mind~” Jungkook says with a soft smile, leaning in to press a kiss to the tip of Taehyung’s nose.

“Good, because we both love you.” Taehyung responds, giving Jungkook a nose kiss of his own, which causes the younger to scrunch his nose up the way Taehyung loves so much. He then pulls Jungkook in for a real kiss, parting his lips almost immediately and prodding at Jungkook’s bottom lip with his tongue.

Jungkook moves his hands to hold Taehyung’s hips, walking backwards to sit on the couch, bringing the older with him so he’s sitting on his lap. Taehyung brings a hand up to run it through Jungkook’s hair as Jungkook tightens his grip. They’re so wrapped up in their little bubble, the only thing they can see, hear, feel, smell, and taste being each other, that they completely miss the front door to the apartment opening and the thud of their friend’s bag hitting the floor.

“I thought I told y’all that I’m not putting up with your exhibitionist .” They jump apart at the sound of Jimin’s voice, the oldest of the three crossing his arms and glaring at the couple, although all three of them know that Jimin could care less about walking in on the two of them as he had already done it so many times on accident that it no longer affects him.

“You’re all sweaty.” Taehyung comments as he climbs off of Jungkook’s lap. “The semester hasn’t even actually started, so don’t you think it’s a bit early to be hitting the studio?”

Jimin shrugs, running his hand through his damp, purple hair. “It’s never too early to get started on my dance project.” He gestures around the room at the setup Taehyung had slaved over. “What’s all this for?”

“Oh, right!” Taehyung then dramatically spreads his arms out and yells at the top of his lungs, “SURPRISE!”

Rubbing his ear, as the volume of his best friend’s exclamation was slightly painful, Jimin responds with, “You still didn’t answer my question.”

“It’s to congratulate you on your engagement to Sangmin!” Taehyung exclaims as if Jimin should have known.

Jimin snorts. “I’m not engaged to him yet.” He starts to walk to the kitchenette to get a bottle of water, refusing to look at his best friend as his cheeks flush pink. “And we don’t even know if he’s going to propose tonight.”

Now it’s Taehyung’s turn to snort as he follows his best friend, Jungkook getting up to follow Taehyung and wrapping his arm around his boyfriend’s shoulders. “He’s taking you to the restaurant you had your first date at, he told you that tonight’s a big night, and he met with his parents last week for a ‘big talk about his future’.” Taehyung gives Jimin a look. “He’s totally proposing.”

Jimin looks to Jungkook as if expecting the younger male to contradict his roommate. “Yeah, that’s pretty much all the signs of an upcoming proposal.”

Jimin’s eyes brighten and he glances shyly down at the water bottle in his hands. “You really think he’s proposing tonight?”

“Duh!” Taehyung says, skipping out of Jungkook’s embrace and throwing his arm over Jimin’s shoulders. “Didn’t I tell you that our last semester of college would be the best ever? And now you get to start it off by getting engaged! I’m actually kind of jealous of you!” As if sensing that Jungkook is about to whine, Taehyung turns to his boyfriend. “But I am serious about that plan, Jungkook. Just because I’m slightly jealous of Jimin doesn’t mean I expect you to drop to your knees and ask me to marry you soon.”

Jungkook gives Taehyung a thumbs up, causing Jimin to roll his eyes and let out a tiny scoff at his best friends. “I guess it’s a good thing we made an appointment with Seokjin for this afternoon,” Jimin says, ducking out from Taehyung’s hold and walking towards his bedroom. “I’m gonna go take a shower so we can go get myself looking good for my fiancé.” Taehyung claps at Jimin finally accepting his soon to be new relationship status before dragging Jungkook to his own bedroom to pick up where they left off before they were rudely interrupted by Jimin.

~

Jimin is looking at himself in the mirror, trying to ignore Taehyung and Jungkook bickering as Taehyung tries to convince Jungkook to color his hair for the millionth time since they started dating, as Seokjin runs his fingers through his hair. “So, what are you wanting today? Just a touch up on your roots?”

Jimin purses his lips as he thinks it over. He shakes his head as he finally makes a decision. “I think I want to try something different. Something big is happening tonight, and I feel like that calls for a change.”

“Ooh, what’s happening tonight?” Seokjin asks, still playing with Jimin’s hair as he waits for the latest gossip.

“Jiminie’s getting engaged tonight!” Taehyung announces, dragging a pouty Jungkook, signifying that he had finally convinced the younger to color his hair with him.

“Congratulations!” Seokjin exclaims, leaning down slightly to hug his favorite customer. “I remember when I was engaged!” His face forms into a scowl. “The bastard wanted me to ‘tone it down’ then refused to laugh when I made a pun about toning hair on a daily basis, so he had to go.” Jimin giggles as Seokjin goes back to playing with his hair. “So, something new, what are you thinking?”

Jimin purses his lips as he resumes thinking. His train of thought is broken by Taehyung suddenly bouncing in excitement. “Ooh, you should do what Kookie and I are doing!” Taehyung turns to Seokjin, as he will be the one coloring their hair while Jimin’s setting. “We’re going to go half pink half blonde! Couple’s hair!” Jungkook gives a weak cheer, obviously still not looking forward to bleaching his precious hair.

Jimin winces at Taehyung’s suggestion, not doubting that it would look good on his best friend, but not so sure it would work for himself. “It wouldn’t really be couple’s hair if I did it too.” That statement is enough to make Taehyung drop the suggestion.

“That’s true…” Taehyung hums as he tries to think of something else. “How about you go back to natural for a bit? I haven’t seen your natural hair color since before we started college.”

Jimin shakes his head. “Too boring. I still want to stand out!”

“How about blond?” Seokjin offers, gesturing to his own current hair color. “You’ve never done just straight blond before, so it’s something new and you’ll also stand out with it.”

Jimin thinks it over, thinking back over how he looked with bleached hair during the brief moments when Seokjin was preparing the color for his hair. When he accepts that he did in fact look good with blond hair, he nods his head. “Blond it is!”

Seokjin smiles, finally pulling his hand away from Jimin’s hair. “I’ll go get the bleach mixed up.”

“Don’t forget the pink for us!” Taehyung calls after him.

~

“You changed your hair~” Sangmin comments as he sits across from Jimin at the exact table they sat at on their first date.

“I did! Do you like it?” Jimin says shyly, running his hand through his freshly bleached locks.

“Yeah, uh, you look gorgeous as always.” Jimin blushes at the compliment, intertwining his fingers with Sangmin’s when he reaches out to hold his hand. “So, you said tonight’s a big night. Any particular reason?” Jimin didn’t want to make it obvious that he knew about the proposal, but he’s always been impatient and was antsy to get the ball rolling.

Sangmin chuckles a bit before responding. “As you know, I’m planning on starting SNU in the spring for law school.”

Jimin nods eagerly. “And I know you’ll get in! You’ll be an amazing lawyer!”

“Law school is a very serious thing.” Sangmin continues, Jimin resembling a bobblehead with how much he nods along with his boyfriend. “And I feel like me taking this next step means I need to take the next step in other aspects of my life. It’s time for me to get serious with everything.”

“I agree. You can’t expect to get anywhere in life if you’re not serious. I’ve always believed that.”

Sangmin gives Jimin a small smile and brings his other hand to cover Jimin’s so he’s now holding the male’s much smaller hand between both of his own. “And I had a talk with my parents last week, and they agree about my need to become more serious about my future, and what all that includes…especially my future with you.” Jimin can no longer contain the bright smile as he realizes this is it. This is the moment Sangmin will propose to him. “So, Jimin, I brought you here tonight to-“

“Of course, I’ll marry you!”

“-tell you I think we should break up.” Jimin’s eyes widen and his jaw drops slightly as he registers Sangmin’s words. “Wait, marry me, what-“

“You’re breaking up with me?!”