Chapter 01

Dowonkyung

Run.

 

Run.

 

Run.

 

A woman accelerated her run, her hands tightly wrapped around a baby who was sleeping in her arms. The woman did not look back, all she thought was how to save her baby. The woman hid behind a large tree, her breath shortened while tightening her arms to the baby. The woman turned, peering frantically towards the road she had just passed. Lights seen in the distance, the woman hid again and looked worriedly at the baby in her hand. “Stay asleep, my child,” the woman whispered, “stay asleep.” The woman slowly stepped away from her hiding, rushed into the forest.

 

After a long time, the woman stopped again and sat leaning against a tree. She looked back at the baby—who was still asleep, as if he uninterrupted by shocks and voice. The woman sighed; she kissed his cheek and cried in silence. It was still fresh, when her husband fell helplessly on the edge of the forest. “Run! Save your baby!” his scream still rang in her ears, maybe that was the last time she heard her husband’s voice.

 

Where should I hide? Where can I hide my baby?

 

The woman turned around in surprise, her eyes rounded when the lights was seen again. Immediately she ran, stepped aside before it was too late. The woman continued to run; she was no longer care about the pain in her legs due to thorns or pieces of twigs stuck in the soles of her feet. The most important thing is, his son must be safe. The baby must be safe. Her eyes could slowly adjust to the darkness of the forest, she occasionally squinted to make sure no trees would obstruct her path.

 

Grep!

 

The woman squealed stifled, her body immediately hid to a large tree on the river bank. She turned, her eyes probing at an old man in a red robe holding her arm, watching over the situation. “What are you doing, these night wandering in the woods?” asked the man.

 

The woman stared at the old man in front of her, immediately she asked, “Sir, are you a wizard?”

 

The man fell silent; he looked at the woman with an expression that somehow meant. “Sir, you must be a wizard, right?” said the woman in panic, “you are wearing a robe, you are in the forest, I know you are a wizard. Help me, save my baby. They will kill my baby, please save him.” The woman sobbed loudly, her hands tightly holding the baby. “They will kill my baby because of the prophecy,” she said, “my baby, my little angel. I don’t want his life ended like this.”

 

The man was still keep silent, his eyes fixed to the baby on the woman’s arms. The baby was still asleep, so tiny and fragile. “Sir, please save my son,” the woman begged again, this time she knelt down, surprised the man, “bring him everywhere, the important thing is he is safe. I beg you. My husband died in their hands, he died for our son, for this baby. Please save him, Sir, I beg you.”

 

The man reached out his hands, took the baby from the woman. The baby moved a little, but still closed his eyes. “I’ll take him to Dowonkyung,” said the man, “don’t worry, he will be safe there.”

 

“Dowonkyung? Is it true that you will take him there?” asked the woman, a tone of relief heard from her words.

 

The man nodded, he smiled a little. “I will take good care of him, he will be safe there,” he said, “what if you also go there?”

 

The woman shook her head, she replied, “No. I have to protect my other family. I can go now, I’m relieved now. My baby is safe.” The woman looked at the man in relief and happiness; she said again, “Promise me you will give him a decent life, Sir. Promise me you will protect him.”

 

“As long as he doesn’t come out from Dowonkyung, he will be safe,” the man answered.

 

The woman smiled, tears welling in the eyelids ready to spill. She approached the baby, took him back and kissed his face for a few moments. “Live, my son,” the woman whispered, “I’m sorry I didn’t take care of you. Live well, Mama loves you.” The woman handed back his son to the man, she slowly moved away while occasionally turning her head.

 

“Wait,” the man called, “what is his name? I’m not good at giving names.”

 

The woman stopped, she replied, “Taekwoon. His name is Jung Taekwoon.” The woman bowed to greet, as fast as lightning she ran and disappeared in the dark.

 

Master Kim silently looked at the woman; he then looked at the baby in his arms. “Poor baby,” he murmured, and then walked down the rocky path into the forest. The robe swept the road, making a smooth drag sound. Well, at least the sound accompanied Master Kim, could also be lullaby for Baby Taekwoon. The wind blew breezy; Master Kim knew the wind was caused by spirits that was trapped there. Master Kim understood why humans always consider the wind in the forest to be cold and give a sinister aura. They are indeed fad, or also the way they communicate with humans, telling them that they exist and are real even though they are invisible.

 

Master Kim walked past the large wood that crossed over a steep cliff as a bridge. Large trees welcomed in the across, with leaves intertwined to form a leafy roof. The cold caressed his skin; he pressed his robe so that the baby on his arms didn’t die of cold. Master Kim continued to walk; silvery glow arose when he passed two large trees in front of him.

 

Master Kim stepped quickly through the deserted village. The road is quite dark; there are only a few dim lanterns that illuminate several street points. Master Kim turned, went down the stairs and opened a small gate at the end of the stairs. His steps were fast and steady; he entered the small castle an headed for the middle room. “Hana,” Master Kim called, “Hana. Kim Hana, come here.”

 

A young woman emerged from the room; behind her a young servant followed her obediently. “Father,” Hana greeted, “what’s wrong? Why are you calling me?” Hana turned, her eyes fixed on the baby in Master Kim’s hand. A smile immediately broke into Hana’s face, without warning she carried the baby and cradled it. “Oh, this baby is so cute,” Hana said, smiling, “who is this baby? Where are his parents?”

 

“His father just died,” said Master Kim.

 

“His mother?”

 

“His mother left, he left the child to me.”

 

Hana looked at the baby; she smiled again and looked at her tiny cheeks. “Poor child,” Hana said, “does this baby have a name? If not, I’ll give him a name. His name will be…”

 

“His name is Jung Taekwoon,” Master Kim answered.

 

Silence remained.

 

Hana fell silent; she stared in surprise as Master Kim looked at her. “Wh… who?” Hana asked, her voice choked in disbelief, “Father, who did you say his name was?”

 

“Jung Taekwoon,” Master Kim answered calmly.

 

Hana squealed loudly, as soon as she threw the baby. The waiter behind her swiftly caught Baby Taekwoon, she was very surprised by the sudden change in Hana’s attitude. Hana looked at the baby on the servant’s hands, her eyes filled with disgusting look, and then she looked angrily at Master Kim. “Why did you bring him here?!” Hana shouted, “He will pollute this house! Get rid of him! Take him away!”

 

“He is just a baby, Hana,” said Master Kim.

 

“I don’t care!” Hana shouted, “I don’t care! I don’t want to take care of him, even see it here! Just throw him into the river; he doesn’t deserve to be here! It’s better if I don’t have children for life rather than taking care of the traitor!” Hana ran away, disappearing in the hallway of the castle.

 

Master Kim sighed, and then he looked at the nearby servant. “Seolyeong, take care of him,” said Master Kim, “I promised to his mother to take care of him here.”

 

“Master, shouldn’t he be entrusted to an orphanage?” Seolyeong proposed timidly.

 

“I’ve promised to take care of him here,”  said Master Kim, “you still want to stay here, right, Seolyeong?”

 

Seolyeong was shocked, she shooked her head quickly and immediately brought Baby Taekwoon into the castle. Master Kim sighed again, he turned and looked out the window for a moment and stepped into the hallway in the castle.

 

Tonight was really tiring.

 

*

 

Ten years after…

 

Taekwoon stood still, his eyes staring straight at the large painting on the end of the castle hall. Painting of five men in white robes with ornate of red clouds, against the background of a large castle and wilderness. Taekwoon heard from several servants, that the five men were the supreme masters of wizard race thousands years ago. Taekwoon’s gaze was fixed on the silver-haired man, he was admired the figure very much. His eyes are so sharp, as if it was alive. Taekwoon often spends some of his time just quietly staring at the painting. His soul seemed to be in, he seemed hypnotized by the view of the figures in the painting.

 

“JUNG TAEKWOON!”

 

Taekwoon blinked, he turned and a second later his head was very painful. The pain had not subsided; a hand twisted his ears strongly, created tremendous pain. “Auntie, it hurts!” Taekwoon tried to let go of her hand, “Auntie, please let go! It hurts!”

 

“I won’t! Let me break all this useless ears!” the woman shouted loudly, “I called you before and you didn’t answer at all! You are useless kid! I should have thrown you into the river a long time ago, you little devil!” The woman looked at Taekwoon, she glared as she realized the tears escaped soaking this ten-year-old cheek. “Why are you crying, huh?! Do you think if you cry I’ll forgive you?!” the woman yelled again, “if you cry, I’ll throw you into a cliff!”

 

Taekwoon paused to hear the woman’s threat in fear; he sobbed trying hard to hold back his tears. The woman—Seolyeong—always snapped at him and spoke harshly to him. Taekwoon never understood why Seolyeong had never been nice to him. Everyone in this house is not nice to him; all of them look at him like they look at filth or disgusting disease. Only Master Kim, the old man was kind to him, but he was rarely in the castle so that his kindness was also rarely felt by Taekwoon.

 

Taekwoon dragged to follow Seolyeong, shortly afterwards the woman pushed him to hit the wall. “Young Master Kim will go to see his friends soon,” Seolyeong said, “go to his room now, and bring all his things. And remember, you have to look after him. If you hurt him like before, I will lock you in the closet and you won’t get food!”

 

“I didn’t hurt him,” Taekwoon squeaked, “he fell by himself at that time.”

 

“Don’t argue me!” Seolyeong hit Taekwoon’s head hardly, “if the slave is considered guilty, then he is guilty! There is no defense!” Seolyeong snorted, she walked away from Taekwoon who was curled up near the pillars of the castle’s aisle. Taekwoon stayed there, he silently returned to his thoughts. Why? Why did everyone always mean to him? What did he do wrong so no one defended him? Slave, Taekwoon saw other slaves being treated well by their masters. But not with him. Even the servants here always hate him, calling him a little devil or a traitor.

 

Why is he called like that?

 

Taekwoon stepped slowly down to the castle hall to Kim Wonshik’s room, the Little Prince of the Kim family. Taekwoon occasionally bumped into the waiter, he looked down and did not dare to look at their faces. After all, they must have looked at Taekwoon full of hatred and disgust. Taekwoon felt very jealous of Wonshik, a boy who was three years younger than him. He was so spoiled, so loved and everyone called his name correctly and spoke so softly to him. Whereas to Taekwoon, someone who calls his name is good. Even the small servants in the castle were still treated well.

 

Except to him.

 

Taekwoon was eager to escape from this place. Anywhere, as long as it is not here. but, Taekwoon did not know where to go. He did not even know where his parents were. Seolyeong always said, “Your mother just hates you, she never want to take care of you. So she threw you away.” Then Seolyeong laughed as if she had just made a joke.

 

Is it true that his mother hated him?

 

If so, why did not she just kill him at the time?

 

Taekwoon stopped in front of a tall door before him. The white door with golden tendrils, the door knob was made of shiny black stone that reflects light. That is the door of Wonshik’s room, his master. Taekwoon stood close to the wall, waiting for Wonshik to come out. Taekwoon remembered, he was still five when he was asked by Master Kim to accompany Wonshik to play. Then Mrs. Hana, Wonshik’s mother scolded him and said that he was only a bodyguard for his son, not a friend. Wonshik himself did not see him as a friend, but a servant who brought all his things. When Wonshik cried or got hurt while playing, he will pointed at Taekwoon while sobbing.

 

And Taekwoon ended up locked in a closet, to feel the wounds all over his body.

 

Taekwoon should hate Wonshik, but somehow Taekwoon cannot hate him. For some reason, Taekwoon always wanted to protect the Little Prince. Taekwoon realized, Wonshik is the child that Kim Family was waiting for, the first and only son of Mrs. Hana. It is natural that finally everyone loves him very much, treated him like a diamond that must be guarded so as not to blister at all.

 

Taekwoon felt that love too.

 

*

 

Wonshik smiled at the reflection of himself and Hana in the mirror of his room, he was so happy to wear the clothes that Mama had just bought. “Do you like her clothes, dear Wonshikkie?” Hana hugged her son, “Mama bought it just for you.”

 

“I love it, Mama, really,” said Wonshik, he shown his best smile. Wonshik feels very lucky to have loving parents. Mama really loved him, always pouring much love for him. Kissing, hugging, compliments, and gentle words of love color his days. The servants are also very kind to him, making food and serving it with a very neat order. Everyone respects him, always praises him as Kim’s beloved Little Prince.

 

Ah, how happy Wonshik is.

 

“Well, it’s finished,” Hana put the comb on the table, she tidied up a little of Wonshik’s clothes and knelt in front of him while smiling, “listen, my son. Be careful while playing, okay?”

 

“Taekwoon Hyung came along, right?” asked Wonshik.

 

Hana sighed; Wonshik realized the change in Mama’s expression. “Don’t call him Hyung, he is not your brother,” Hana said, “listen, Wonshikkie, Taekwoon is just a servant, his job is to take care of you. Don’t get too close to him, you hear me? He is evil; he will hurt you whenever he wants to. If he starts bothering you, ask Jaehwan or Hakyeon for help.”

 

Wonshik nodded. Hana smiled, she took Wonshik’s hand and walked out of the room. Wonshik saw Taekwoon standing at the door against the wall and stared at him silently. He realized that Taekwoon was completely different from other little servants in this house, or at his friends’. His body was thin, his skin was pale and his eyes looked like a sick person. His lips closed tightly without a smile or a happy expression; Wonshik almost never saw him smile at all. Mama was right, he was weird and horrible.

 

“Why are you staying there? Bring Wonshikkie’s bag,” Hana’s voice surprised Wonshik. Taekwoon approached, his hand stretched out carrying Wonshik’s bag. Even his fingers are so thin, like a bone wrapped in skin that looks dull. “Listen to me, you strange slave,” Hana said, “You have to look after my son well. I don’t give you food and shelter just to let him get hurt. If I see a little stain on Wonshikkie’s clothes, I won’t forgive you.” Hana snorted, she looked at Wonshik and her expression immediately changed so tender and loving like an angel. “Dear Wonshikkie, have fun, huh,” she smiled and kissed his forehead. Hana glanced at Taekwoon before she walked away from them.

 

Wonshik looked at Taekwoon, he said, “Come on. Walk faster, okay? They are waiting for me.” Wonshik immediately walked, he was enjoying the sunny morning air. Today, Wonshik will play at Hakyeon’s house, his close friend. Hakyeon was spending the weekend at home, Wonshik really missed him considering that Hakyeon had started studying in Dowonkyung, a school for wizards and wicthes, like himself. Wonshik can’t wait to hear Hakyeon’s story about his activities at school, moreover Hakyeon’s dormitory, Daejin, is a dormitory which always deals with amazing magical creatures.

 

Wonshik wants to be the part of Daejin, once he started studying there.

 

Wonshik stopped, he turned and was surprised to see Taekwoon walked very slowly, creating a great distance from him. “Taekwoon! Why are you so slow?” Wonshik shouted, “I can be late because of you!”

 

Taekwoon approached, he said very slowly, “Sorry, but your bag is very heavy. I  can’t walk as fast as you.”

 

“Tck, excuses,” suddenly a man replied, “you are lazy, as Seolyeong said.” “Yeah, I wonder why a child like you is still alive,” a woman said, “a devil. Just like your ancestors.”

 

Wonshik looked at Taekwoon who was only quietly listening to the scorn of the people. There was clearly sadness and suffering in his eyes, but Wonshik thought that Taekwoon was guilty of making him wait. Wonshik walked again, he occasionally turns to make sure Taekwoon didn’t run slowly anymore.

 

*

“Protection spells… ee… pro… pro…”

 

“Protecio, Hyung.”

 

Jaehwan chuckled in annoyance, he then hit Hongbin’s shoulder sitting next to him. “Don’t bother me! Go away!” he shouted, “don’t try to embarrass me by helping me memorizing spell, huh! You are shape shifter, practice your ability!” Jaehwan snorted, he closed his eyes again and memorized magic spells.

 

Hakyeon closed the book, he sighed and looked around. The backyard of his house looks very beautiful; colorful flowers bloom adorns the courtyard. His favorite flower, Royal Azalea, also blooms so beautifully, with butterflies flying around the flowers. The sky is clear today, the color is bright blue with white clouds decorate the sky. Birds chirping into melodious accompaniment music, a gentle breeze blew making leaves and grass move as if they were dancing. Hakyeon smiles; his backyard is truly a heaven.

 

“Hakyeon Hyung~”

 

Hakyeon turned his head, looked down at the five-year-old little boy who was holding Hakyeon’s pants and looking at him innocently. “Hyung, I’m hungry,” the boy named Sanghyuk squeaked, “I want to eat.”

 

Hakyeon smiled, he took a piece of bread at the table and fed it little by little to the boy. “Where is Wonshik?” Hongbin asked, “he said he would come in the morning.”

 

“Haah, surely the slave is making a mistake again,” Jaehwan said, “I swear if he comes I will hang him on the tree by my magic.”

 

“Jaehwan, you can’t use magic for evil,” Hakyeon said, “ after all, you still can’t use magic before you are registered to Dowonkyung.”

 

Jaehwan clicked; he grumbled softly, “I know, Hyung. No need to remind me.”

 

Hakyeon sighed; he again fed Sanghyuk who was sitting on his lap. As the oldest among the other, Hakyeon not only acts as a friend, but also an older brother for others. His family, Cha Family, is the one of the Highest Masters in Dowonkyung. For generations, his family is known as expert on spells and curses, a protector for Dowonkyung. Only Hakyeon and his uncle did not master spells. His uncle is an expert in poison, while Hakyeon himself enters Daejin, a dormitory deals with magical creatures. Hakyeon had felt inferior, especially when he knew that his parents were experts in spell. Luckily, his mother encouraged him, saying that wherever the dormitory he entered, he was still the proud grandson of the Cha family.

 

“Hyung, Jaehwanie Hyung is spelling the slave,” Sanghyuk’s voice heard.

 

Hakyeon turned around, he was shocked and immediately sat Sanghyuk in the chair and ran over to Jaehwan who was using his magic to spell Taekwoon, Wonshik’s bodyguard. “Lee Jaehwan!” Hakyeon grabbed Jaehwan’s wand and put it in the robe, “stop it! I told you not to use magic before you entered the school!” Hakyeon clicked; he helped Taekwoon who was look in pain with bruises in his hand to stand up. “Go, wait for us over there,” Hakyeon said, pointing to a tree, “I will look after Wonshik. Go.”

 

Taekwoon quicly stepped aside; Hakyeon glimpsed tears in his cheeks. “Hyung, I just want to teach him a lesson,” Jaehwan defended himself, “after all, what’s the point if…” “If you don’t want to listen to me, I’ll tell your father about this,” Hakyeon interrupted, “I’ll tell him if you use magic carelessly.”

 

Checkmate.

 

All were silent, for them the statement of Hakyeon was an order that must be obeyed. Jaehwan looked annoyed, but he nodded and chose to obey him. “Where have you been, Wonshikkie?” Hakyeon asked, trying to change the topic. Wonshik replied, “Taekwoon walked very slowly, Hyung. He said my bag was heavy, but I know it was just an excuse.”

 

Hakyeon saw Wonshik’s bag, he reached out and lifted it. It was heavy, but Wonshik won’t know because he never brought his own bag. “Call him Hyung, Shikkie,” Hakyeon said, “he is older than you.”

 

“But Mama said I don’t need to call him Hyung because he is not my brother,” Wonshik answered.

 

“I and Jaehwan am not your brother too, but why are you calling us brother?” asked Hakyeon.

 

“Because you and I are not slaves,” Jaehwan replied, he laughed but in an instant his laught vanished when Hakyeon looked at him.

 

Wonshik paused for a moment, and then replied the same, “Because he is a slave, and you are not.”

 

Hakyeon sighed; he finally nodded and led the others to leave the back gate of the house.

 

*

 

Taekwoon sobbed loudly, but then he tried to dampen his sobs behind his knees. Taekwoon did not understand, why all the children hate him, even Jaehwan spelled and attacked him with the pretext of ‘giving lesson.’ Why? Why is not there anyone kind to him? Taekwoon hated this situation, he wanted to die. Taekwoon peeked, his heart was slice to see Wonshik, Hakyeon, Sanghyuk, Jaehwan, and Hongbin was playing the ball while laughing cheerfully. He silently watched them.

 

If Taekwoon was among them, it must be fun.

 

The problem was, none of them like him. Especially Jaehwan, he really showed his hatred for Taekwoon. Hongbin and Hakyeon have never hurt Taekwoon, but that did not mean they like him. An exception to Sanghyuk, he is just a little boy; he did not understand the matter of hating and liking. All of his actions were just following and copying his older brothers. But, once again it does not mean Sanghyuk like him, right?

 

Why should Taekwoon be born with suffering like this?

 

What is his sin? What did he do in his previous life until he had to bear the burden like this?

 

Seolyeon often said that he was as dirty, as evil as his ancestors. Taekwoon was curious, what’s wrong with his ancestors? Why did everyone always equate him to his ancestors? Are they bad people? Did his ancestors do something unforgivable?

 

Taekwoon stared at others, he was so eager to join them, laughing together like friends. How does it feel? Happy, how does it feel? Taekwoon hoped, at least once before he died, he can feel happy with many friends. Taekwoon also wanted to be treated well by everyone he meets.

 

“Oi! Slave! Bring the ball here!”

 

Taekwoon interrupted his thoughts; he saw a white ball lying nearby. Obediently, Taekwoon took the ball and walked towards the others. All of them were sitting in the bench; Hakyeon was holding Sanghyuk in his lap, who comfortably leaned on his chest, while Hongbin, Jaehwan, and Wonshik sat next to each other. “Just put the ball over there,” Hakyeon said, pointing at a place. Taekwoon nodded, he put the ball just as Hakyeon said.

 

“Hyung, how is your school? Isn’t it cool?” Wonshik asked.

 

Taekwoon turned, intrigued by his heart at the word ‘school.’ What is that place? What does it look like? “Yesterday I studied about little dragon,” Hakyeon started to tell, “They are very cute. They are very small and the skin is smooth and shiny. I take care of the baby Green Dragon, and see; my finger is hurt because he spouted the fire in my hand.” Hakyeon showed a wound on his hand, the others looked amazed by the wound. Taekwoon himself gawked; he imagined what the dragon would look like. Taekwoon had never seen a dragon before, just hearing the name once. Seolyeong never mentioned dragons.

 

“Are you being eaten, Hyung?” Sanghyuk asked.

 

Hakyeon laughed, he replied, “Of course not. If I’m eaten, I won’t be here.”

 

“Did you study anything else?” Hongbin asked.

 

Hakyeon shook his head. “I only learned the spells of controlling magic creatures, medicines for magic creatures, and how to treat them well.”

 

“You are not learning curses?” asked Jaehwan.

 

“No. Is that necessary?” Hakyeon said.

 

“Can dragons grow big?”

 

All eyes immediately turned towards Taekwoon. Taekwoon shocked, he realized his mistake in asking others. Taekwoon immediately ran, he hid behind a big tree. His whole body trembled, he knew that soon he would get into trouble because he was presumptuous talking to them. “I’m sorry,” Taekwoon raved, “please forgive me.”

 

“What happened to you?”

 

Taekwoon jumped in surprise, he trembled to see Hakyeon standing nearby. Looking at the magic wand behind his robe, Taekwoon was getting scared and started crying. “I’m sorry,” he sobbed, “I’m sorry.”

 

“Hah? I don’t understand,” Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon confusedly.

 

“Don’t punish me,” Taekwoon begged, “I won’t ask any more questions.”

 

Hakyeon gawked, he then said, “I just want to answer your question. The dragon can grow as large as tree, and it is strong. Dragons are the biggest creature in the world. They can also be ridden.” Hakyeon walked away from Taekwoon, he heard Hakyeon murmured, “Weird child.”

 

Taekwoon sighed in relief, he leaned on the tree. Hakyeon did not punish him, he was very relieved. Yes, Taekwoon was strange to some people, for them he is weird and annoying.

 

So, the dragon can grow as big as tree, which means that dragon is really great. Taekwoon imagined the size of the dragon by looking up at the top of the tree where he leaned back. What does the dragon look like? Where do they live? Taekwoon wanted to keep a dragon, but remembering about the size, where will it be placed?

 

Taekwoon wanted to be like a dragon. Hearing dragons can spit fire, surely they look amazing. Are they scary? Are they evil?

 

If only he could, he wanted to ask more about dragons.

 

***