Love blossoms

Autumn is the new spring

Wonderstruck by someone’s smile and puzzled with your own feelings, you returned to the classroom. Little did you know that someone also felt confused, lost and worried when you disappeared from the window, out of his sight.

 “Ahsa!”, Woohyun cheered as he celebrated his second goal just when the bell rang. After that, he raced to the trees with Dongwoo and started their own usual game of Who could get his jacket and run up three floors to the classroom faster. As Woohyun dashed across the schoolyard to the building, he instinctively looked up to have a glance at the window where you were standing. He knew you had been watching since the beginning of the football match.

His heart jumped as he realized you were still there.

“This girl.. what is she doing?”, Woohyun thought to himself when he saw you pointing your finger to him. He didn’t understand what you were doing so he slowed down a bit then suddenly ran faster and then walked more slowly again just to see what you were up to.

“Ahhh silly”, he giggled when he found out that your finger was just moving around with his movements. He thought you were silly, silly in a cute way and he felt happy because you were paying attention to him. Not anyone else but him. Woohyun wondered what you were thinking while tracing your finger like that and he couldn’t wait to stand next to you so he ran a little faster. However, no sooner had he run up the stairs than he wondered what your face would look like when he disappeared into building, so he went back to the yard again, peeking his face out to look up at your window.  (“It’s Sura’s window from now on”, he thought).

At that moment when you saw Woohyun’s face appearing again, Woohyun also noticed that you leaned over to look for him. And as you felt your blood rushing to both cheeks, Woohyun’s heart jumped again and, this time, did a cartwheel.  His lips unconsciously curled up into a smile. He always wanted attention, not from people in general, but only from you.

That was why he always boasted about how many Valentine’s gifts he got just so he could see your reactions, just so he could see if you were a little bit jealous.

That was why he gave you all the chocolate he received to make it less obvious that he wanted to give you chocolate on Valentine’s Day too.

That was why he always acted cool and cute in front of you.

That was why he always wanted to sit close to you.

“Because I like you, I love you, I adore you”.

Woohyun felt this sudden joy deep down in his heart before the overwhelming happiness rushed to his face as he himself rushed to the school yard one more time. He looked up at you and gave you the most beautiful smile he had.

“This smile is just for you and you are the reason. The only one”, Woohyun smiled brightly and waved.

“Oh, Sura’s waving back!”, Woohyun had to refrain from jumping like a kid getting candy as he saw your hands raised in the air.

B-but w-wait, no you didn’t wave back.

“What’s wrong? Where are you going?”, Woohyun’s smile disappeared. He thought you finally took notice of him and he was confident that for a moment there, you two didn’t need any words to understand the feelings – the sparks – between two hearts. He thought after this, he would just run at lightning speed to the window you were standing and confessed to you, but what now?

Worried, Woohyun did run at lightning speed upstairs but no confession was made. As a matter of fact, you two didn’t exchange even a word to each other for the rest of day. Woohyun turned around to see you always busy writing something, and even when the bell rang and class was over, Woohyun couldn’t find you anywhere to go home together like you two, Sungjong and Dongwoo did everyday.

“Ting”, your phone notified 1 new message.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”, it was from Woohyun. Just seeing his name appear on your phone as Babo Woohionie with the small picture of him you set in his contact made you feel all kinds of butterflies in your stomach. You didn’t reply.

As you got home and lay down on your bed, “Ting”, another new message. This time, it was Sungjong.

“Woohyun - the lost puppy - is at my house now. He’s following me”.

That made you laugh. You always thought of Woohyun as a puppy, a cute little one and he was following Sungjong around when you were not there. That scene would have been the cutest thing in the world, considering how clingy Woohyun could get. He never gave up easily.

You didn’t even realize that you were smiling lovingly everytime you thought of Woohyun until you sat up and looked at the mirror. “W-wait, what?”, you started to panic. “Maybe I do like him more than a friend”, you also started to be more honest with yourself before panicking again. “But does he like me that way?”. You slumped down on your bed again. This kind of thing had always been so complicated. Should you just say it right away or should you keep it a secret? What if Woohyun doesn’t like you back and things become awkward between you two and worst case scenario: you lose a precious friend?

Hesitating was not your style. You opened your phone’s contacts to find his name but for the first time, you didn’t have the courage to press call. You felt like you were not even yourself anymore and it was all his fault. You opened your gallery instead and looked at the photos of you and him, you and him and Sungjong, you and him again and then you and him and Sungjong and Dongwoo. As you kept swiping, there were also pictures of him with Dongwoo, and even pictures of him alone. You wondered why there were so many photos of him on your phone.

“This took so many selcas. With my phone?!!!”, you thought. Woohyun usually borrowed your phone to do this dumb thing, a thing that was sooo Woohyun. However, the real question is why you never deleted those photos. You still kept all of them. ALL. Maybe you had been in love with him all along. M-Maybe?

“It came to me like coincidence

I see the spring scent

You’re coming as well

From far away, your scent is coming”

Your phone vibrated along with the ringtone, making you surprised...and panic again when you saw who was calling. W-Woohyunie?! You didn’t know what to do and almost dropped the phone. Before you gathered all your courage to pick up, the ringtone disappeared and silence returned to your room. But it lasted just for a second before the song came up again.

“It came to me like coincidence

I see the spring scent

You’re coming as well...”

You heard the door bell ring at the same time and that gave you another mini heart attack. You picked up the phone and said “H-hi... Woohyun” while running to the door shouting “Coming!”.

To your surprise, the person standing at the door was no other than the person on your phone. He was also the same boy that had been on your mind all day long.

“W-Woohyun”, you mumbled as you saw his serious face. “Why are you...?”

You didn’t get to finish your sentence because he interrupted. “I was at Sungjong’s”.

You remembered Sungjong’s text from earlier. His house was about three blocks away. However, that was completely irrelevant to why Woohyun was standing on your doorstep and panting. He probably ran all the way from Sungjong's to your house. 

“I know that but why are you here?”, you asked.

“You know? Did Sungjong text you? So you did read all the messages but decided to not reply?”, Woohyun sounded mad. He had the right reason to be. “Why did you ignore me?”, Woohyun raised his voice.

 “I didn’t ignore you. I was... avoiding you”, you lowered your voice at the end of the sentence as you suddenly felt the urge to close the door, run away and hide in your room. But Woohyun was faster and stronger so before you knew it, he was already standing inside your house.

“Avoiding me?”, Woohyun repeated your words as if it was a question, as if he was asking you again to confirm. His eyebrows raised whenever he was in doubt. A few seconds passed as you two looked at each other in silence because you didn’t reply.  

“But why?”, he asked. This time, his voice was a little bit softer. Woohyun realized you were a bit scared and confused. You were obviously having your guard up against him like a cat in danger and he didn’t like it. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt you, EVER.

As you heard his soft voice, you literally could feel your heart ache. You looked at him in the eyes when he was mad but as he had calmed down a bit, you didn’t dare to. You felt like his eyes would be able to just look right through you and he would know the truth. Scared of being hurt, you just looked at your feet. That was when you realized this idiot was still wearing shoes in your house, and the bigger problem was that his shoelaces were all untied. You frowned as you saw there were dirt on his uniform.

“Talk to me, Sura”, he said quietly, as soft as a whisper, only enough for you to hear.

“Did you trip?”, you asked as you lifted your face to look at him.

“Hmm?”, Woohyun asked back. He didn’t understand what you were saying.

“You didn’t tie your shoelaces. Did you trip? Are you hurt anywhere?”, you explained while taking his hands to check his palms and arms. , this guy made you worried.

Woohyun was just standing there, astounded and flustered. When he finally realized you were worried about him, he secretly smiled a little. A smile of relief. He was so scared when you lowered your head and didn’t look at him.

“Ahhhh~ It hurts. Here in my heart”, Woohyun suddenly wrapped you tightly in his strong arms and your hair gently like he once did in kindergarten. “I don’t think my heart can handle this. Please don’t ignore me ever again. Please don’t”, he said, whining with a little aegyo like a child. For some reason, you felt like the person in front of you was 4-year-old Woohyun, who used to follow you everywhere.

“Avoid! Woohyun, I avoided you, not ignored you”, you emphasized when correcting his words. “And...”, you continued. Woohyun waited patiently as he was still holding you in his warm hug and patting your back as if to encourage you.

“And... m-my heart hurts too”, you started to feel hot and embarrassed so you buried your face on his chest after finishing one sentence. “I.. I think I...”, you stuttered as you heard both Woohyun’s and your heart beating faster.

Woohyun couldn’t believe in his ears. His heart was racing. He was hugging the girl he had loved since forever and she was kinda... confessing. No, he had waited for such a long time to make his confession! He should be the one who said it first.

“I love you”, Woohyun whispered in your ear at the same time as you shifted your feet to stand on tiptoe and muttered in his ear the same three words.

Your eyes and his were both wide opened with surprise. It took a few seconds for both of you to let it sink in before you two burst into laughter. Woohyun had this endearing habit of shaking his shoulders when he laughed. You wondered if he knew that or many other habits that you had observed and memorised through all the years. You knew he could never stand still, he always had to do something with his feet. He pouted his plump lips and sulked when something was not how he wanted it to be. He always shifted his eyes from left to right and looked at everyone’s reaction to read the situation. To you, every little thing about him was so endearing that you kept wanting to know more.

“Ah, here it is. His dimples, his smile lines, his twinkling eyes, and THAT TOOTH”, you looked at his happy face up close and realized you had always adored every feature on this cute face.

“Have I always liked him more than a friend?”, you thought and blushed while looking at him lovingly. He was no longer laughing. Instead, he was smiling just like when he was on the schoolyard that afternoon.

“, this breathtaking smile again!”, you thought as you put both of your hands on his cheeks, forcing him to stop smiling.

“W-what?”, he said, struggling as you kept pinching his cheeks.

“Don’t ever smile like that again!”, you warned.

“WHAT?!”, Woohyun pouted his lips. He knew he was cute.

“What are you being cute for anyway? Is that smile a fan service or something?”, you said before thinking and the quick-witted Woohyun realized two things. First, you just called him cute. Second, he remembered that afternoon when he was smiling and waving at you but you suddenly disappeared.

“Aaaaahhhhhh”, Woohyun felt like his heart had melted to the ground. He hugged you again in his arms, this time even tighter. “Why are you so cute my heart can’t handle this! Babo, that smile was for you! And the smile just now is only for you too!”, he chuckled and looked at you mischievously.

You blushed again.”S-stop it!”, you felt embarrassed as Woohyun laughed at you so you hit him lightly on his chest and buried your face on his chest again. You could hear his giggles and feel his breath near your ear. 

“Were you jealous?”, he asked. His breath made you ears turn red.

You blushed for the hundredth time today and pushed him away to go sit at your desk. 

“I.. I have homework”, you stammered and realized it was the most stupid thing you had ever said. It was Friday, you never did homework on Friday and Woohyun knew that.

“You never do homework on Friday”, he exposed you and came to your desk, leaning down until his face was just inches away from yours. “You were jealous, right? Right? Right?”, he smiled cheekily.

Woohyun was truly a clingy puppy as he kept asking you over and over again until you admitted that you hated it when he did his “fan service”. However, he was sweet and cute and beyond adorable when he explained that you misunderstood everything. The moment he said: "Everything I did was to get your attention", you knew you had completely fallen for him. 

Woohyun stayed for dinner and only left when it was around 10 pm. You let him hug you and when you two parted, he suddenly pushed his cheek on yours like what he used to do when you were in kindergarten. Before you knew it, he already stole a kiss from your cheek and lips. His lips were soft, thick and plump - probably the softest thing on earth, next to his chubby cheeks.

“That's my revenge because you kissed my cheek a long time ago”, he whispered while giggling. His breath and his voice was so warm and sweet like milk and honey that you felt weak in the knees.

“O-okay, I’ll have my revenge too! Next time”, you looked at him playfully. That was your first kiss and as you looked at his eyes, then his lips, you saw that he was doing the same thing. “Why not now?”, this thought occurred to both of you at the same time. No words needed. The sparks between you were enough so you kissed him again. Your hands were on his neck, his on your waist. "He still smells like strawberry", you thought as the autumn wind blew a leaf onto his hair. You both laughed at this silly event and exchanged the three words again before he left.

“I love you”

“I love you too. A lot”.

Thank you, autumn.

 

Hi again~ Thanks for reading this till the end! I hope you enjoyed it ^^ This is a happy athletic Woohyunie for you <3