me+you=V+I=perfect♡

me+you=V+I=perfect♡

“Hey baby, if you were a drum, I’d bang you all night long.”

Yoongi stares incredulously at the percussionist who is now leaning against the grand piano with a cocky smirk.

“Shame I’m not a drum then, huh,” he replies and goes back to his phone without another glance while he waits for practice to begin, expecting Jungkook to return to his instruments. However, Jungkook just laughs and stays right where he is, determined.

“Well that fell a bit flat. I guess pick up lines aren’t really my forte.”

Yoongi tries really hard to resist the urge to groan and face plant into the piano keys, and manages to half succeed, just letting out a small groan and scrunching his face up in distaste at Jungkook’s lame puns (though he secretly doesn’t think they’re all that bad, but Jungkook doesn’t need to know that). Still, even that reaction causes Jungkook’s ever-present grin to get even wider and infinitely more smug.

Any reply either of them were going to come up with gets cut short as the conductor, Namjoon, calls for everyone’s attention.


The next day Yoongi leaves a note on Jungkook’s marimba that reads: "You can tickle my ivories any time, baby ;)”

Namjoon scolds Jungkook for interrupting the rehearsal with the cackle he lets out upon finding and reading it, but Jungkook thinks it was worth it, for the smile it brings out on Yoongi’s face, and the faint pink he can see on his cheeks.


They go out on a date that very weekend.


-


“Jeon Jungkook, get off the piano,” Namjoon sighs resignedly, pinching the bridge of his nose upon walking in to find Jungkook sprawled on the grand piano on his front, head resting on his hands as he watches Yoongi play. This just earns him a pout from the drummer.

“Just ‘cause you guys don’t have to tune or set up your instruments,” some clarinet player grumbles, “Or even warm them up.”

Yoongi giggles, and Jungkook slides forward on the piano and somehow manages to kiss him despite the awkward positioning, and pretty much the whole orchestra just collectively sighs.

“Alright, we’re starting in exactly two minutes. If you guys aren’t ready with your instruments by then I’m kicking you from the orchestra.”

The only sign that the duo even heard him is the slight giggle they both let out despite still kissing. With one last kiss, Jungkook slides off the piano and takes his position at the timpanis for the first piece of the rehearsal, with five seconds to spare.


-


Jungkook loves their concerts. Of course, he loves them for the reasons you’d expect—the thrill of performing in grand halls in front of a receptive audience, being able to move people sometimes to tears with the music they perform, just playing the music itself, switching around between the marimba and the xylophone and the timpanis sometimes, depending on the piece and how many and which percussion instruments are needed and which of the percussionists take which part. All of that and more is the main reason he loves concerts, but he also loves them because it’s then he gets to see Yoongi looking like an elven prince.

As the only pianist, Yoongi always gets a spotlight, which means he dresses up a little more than the rest of the orchestra who aren’t soloists. Which means he does his hair, either in a bun or a half pony and always plaited in some way or another, usually with several small plaits pinned or tied back with the rest of his hair flowing loose around them. However he does it, it always looks beautiful. Sometimes he even wears a silver hair band or circlet which contrast so nicely against his black hair and sparkle under the stage lights, and then he really does look like an elven prince. Of course, they all dress up for their performances, but Yoongi demands attention, with his ethereal, regal beauty, and of course, with his mesmerising piano playing. With the way he's so passionate and so in tune with the music—like he is the music.

So Jungkook loves their concerts. He loves their concerts, because he never feels more proud than when the soloists bow separately at the end and Yoongi gets the biggest cheer out of them all.


-

 

Yoongi loves their concerts. Of course, he loves them for the reasons you'd expect—getting to share his passion with the rest of the world, being able to communicate like that, without words, being able to create something so beautiful. All of that and more is the main reason he loves concerts, but he also loves them because it's then he gets to see Jungkook at his most passionate.

As the main mixed percussionist, Jungkook is always switching around between instruments between and even during pieces, and he's always so energetic about it, no matter how many times he does it. Yoongi just loves the way he plays during concerts especially, since the buzz and the adrenaline of performing in front of a crowd makes him all the more passionate, energetic, enthusiastic. Yoongi loves how he seems to dance around behind the marimba or the xylophone, the way he twirls the mallets in the air before bringing them down onto the drum, the way he's always bouncing on the balls of his feet and bopping his head to the music, no matter how many times he's played the piece before.

So Yoongi loves their concerts. He loves their concerts, because he never feels more proud than when he gets to hear the audience cheering so loudly just for Jungkook at the end of a show.

 

-


“Mom, Dad, this is Jungkook, my boyfriend,” Yoongi introduces him. It’s the first time Yoongi’s been back home in a while, and the first time Jungkook is meeting his family. He can’t say he’s not a little bit nervous for Jungkook to meet them.

“Pleasure to meet you,” Jungkook says with his signature charming bunny smile, shaking Yoongi’s parents’ hands.

“Likewise,” Yoongi’s dad replies.

“Pleasure’s all mine,” his mom says.

“You’re in the orchestra with Yoongi, right?” his dad asks once they’re all settled inside, seated around the plush couches in their living room with drinks in hand.

“Yes, that’s right.”

“Ah, forgive me for asking, what was it you play again?”

Jungkook grins. “That’s okay. I’m a professional triangle player.”

“Seriously, every time?" Yoongi sighs and kicks Jungkook in the shin. "Will you quit introducing yourself to people like that?”

“Alright, alright, sorry,” Jungkook laughs in the least apologetic way possible, “I play the cowbell sometimes too.”

“You know what, fine, okay,” Yoongi says, “Mom, Dad, this is Jungkook, my boyfriend, a professional triangle and cowbell player.”

His parents both laugh, and Yoongi’s glad they at least seem to like Jungkook.

Jungkook fake gasps, lightly placing his hand over his heart as he turns to face Yoongi fully. “You finally accepted my true profession! You’re the best, babe.”

He brushes some strands of Yoongi’s hair behind his ear and quickly kisses his cheekbone. Yoongi feels his cheeks burn.

A little further into the conversation, they’re talking about the upcoming Studio Ghibli tour their orchestra is doing joint with the choir and how excited they both are for it, both being huge fans of Studio Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi’s music. Yoongi can tell everything is pretty much going straight over his parent’s heads, since neither of them have any musical background, and they aren’t exactly die hard Ghibli fans either, but they listen and are excited because Yoongi is excited, which is all that matters.

“Yoongi has some awesome solos for it,” Jungkook says proudly, “‘One Summer’s Day’ is gonna be amazing, that’s just gonna be him and Hyun Seunghee as the singer. He’s gonna be incredible. He is incredible.”

“Jungkook’s the incredible one,” Yoongi cuts in, “He’s not just a cowbell and triangle player, obviously, though he does play those sometimes.”

“Yoongi-”

“No, let me tell them how amazing you are. “He plays percussion, so he can play the drum kit though Himchan plays it if it’s used in orchestra. Jungkook’s usually on xylophone or marimba, and sometimes timpanis or snare drum, and like he said, cowbells and triangles here and there and bells and stuff. Basically he can play a whole load of stuff and he’s super talented. He sings too. But, obviously not for orchestra.”

“Yoongi,” Jungkook says softly with a smile, “Thank you.”

Yoongi’s parents exchange knowing looks.


-


“Everyone give a big hand to our wonderful soloists tonight!” Namjoon announces with a grin. He runs through them; Kim Taehyung on saxophone, Jung Hoseok on cello, Choi Yewon on violin, Kim Seokjin on guitar, Park Jimin on flute, Kim Himchan on drum kit, and then.

“Jeon Jungkook, on the triangle!”

Jungkook smiles extra bright behind the xylophone and lifts his triangle as he rings it a couple times, causing the audience to laugh. Yoongi tries not to face palm. Of course Jungkook would get Namjoon to introduce him like that too.

“And Min Yoongi on piano!”

Yoongi smiles and bows majestically, earning him a big cheer and a few whistles. He glances over at Jungkook who is beaming at him and clapping enthusiastically. God, he’s so fond.

Namjoon goes on to introduce the singers, until finally the show is wrapped up and they file off stage.

The perks of being a pianist and percussionist is that they don’t have any instruments to pack away, so the quicker they can get back and the more Yoongi can kiss Jungkook.


-


“Teach me,” Yoongi suddenly says from where he’s been lying in their designated music room at home and watching Jungkook practice the marimba for the better part of the past hour. The room is pretty cramped, with the piano against one wall, a marimba and xylophone perpendicular to each other in a different corner, a drum kit, and a snare drum. The struggle of being a pianist and a percussionist is that their instruments take up a ridiculous amount of space. and can’t just be nice and neatly packed away. The only thing in the room not related to their music is a fluffy rug, upon which Yoongi is currently lay on.

Jungkook keeps playing, though he looks up questioningly at Yoongi for a brief moment. Marimbas have such a nice sound, but the majority of pieces don’t use them, which is such a shame. Sure, Yoongi mostly just thinks that because he wants to hear Jungkook play it more, but it really is a beautiful instrument anyway.

“Teach you?”

“Mhmm,” Yoongi affirms, “You sound so good. I wanna play too.”

“Okay, here,” Jungkook says offering Yoongi a set of sticks.

He begins teaching Yoongi the iPhone ringtone, just because, and it takes a little while, but once Yoongi finally gets it, he refuses to stop playing it.

“How do you keep the sticks in place?” Yoongi whines, “Mine keep moving and then they’re not at the right interval anymore.”

“Magic,” Jungkook laughs, “I enchanted mine.”

Yoongi laughs and plays the iPhone ringtone once more. Jungkook then teaches to play him the newer ringtone too.


-


Yoongi’s practising one of their pieces for an upcoming recital when Jungkook returns from his music class at the local primary school. His hair is tied in a messy bun and he’s wearing fluffy Kumamon pyjamas, but his eyes are closed and his face focused as his hands dance skillfully across the keys, and Jungkook is so in love. He wants nothing more than to marry him.

He kisses Yoongi’s temple which earns him a small hum of acknowledgement. He watches Yoongi play for a little longer before heading to the kitchen to get something to eat. They’ve been together a while now, and Jungkook’s had thoughts of marriage many times. They've mentioned it in passing a couple of times too. He unlocks his phone and starts searching for places to buy a ring.


He spends a great deal of time thinking about how to go about proposing, whether he should make it grand and cheesy, or natural and low-key. The only thing he's decided is that it should be private. Yoongi may be a performer, but grand, public gestures like that for something as big as a marriage proposal would only make him anxious. Jungkook swears planning for this causes him more stress than the relentless practicing for orchestra and dealing with the annoying kids in his after-school music class combined. He wonders how planning their wedding is going to be.


“Are you a fermata? Because I wanna hold you. Forever,” Jungkook says, hugging Yoongi closer to him. They’re listening to some cheesy pop playlist and dancing around their bedroom, now slow dancing even though it doesn’t match the song, and honestly, Jungkook can’t think of a better time to propose.

Yoongi groans, but Jungkook doesn’t miss the smile on his lips, or the pink on his cheeks. Jungkook pulls back a little to look into Yoongi’s eyes. The music keeps on blasting through Jungkook’s bluetooth speakers, but they come to a standstill, just looking at each other. Jungkook with purpose, Yoongi with slight confusion, head cocked slightly to the side.

“You’re the tonic to my dominant,” Jungkook continues, “You complete me. Together we’re perfect.”

Yoongi shakes his head and looks at the floor, full-blown grin gracing his features now.

“You’re ridiculous.”

Jungkook chuckles and rests his forehead on Yoongi’s.

“Seriously, though,” he speaks softly, “I want to be with you forever. Everything just, feels right with you. I want to come home to you every day, and wake up with you every morning, and I know we already live together and work together so we already kind of do, but still. I want it to be official. Forever. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. I love you.”

“Jungkook, I…”

Jungkook leans back and cups Yoongi’s face with both hands, then pushes one hand up to brush through his hair.

“Give me one second,” he says, kissing Yoongi’s nose.

Quickly heading to his bedside table, he opens a drawer and pulls out the small, velvet, navy blue box. He returns to a shocked Yoongi, whose mouth has fallen open slightly, his eyes widened. Jungkook slowly sinks to one knee and opens the box, presenting it to Yoongi.

“Yoongi, will you marry me?”

It’s then that Jungkook realises Yoongi’s crying. He practically pounces on Jungkook, the ring almost flying across the room in Jungkook's surprise.

“Yes,” he whispers with arms still wrapped around Jungkook, “Yes, yes, of course I will.”

Jungkook hugs back tighter and presses kisses to Yoongi’s ear, hair, temple, cheek.

After an eternity, Yoongi sheepishly untangles himself from Jungkook, and then Jungkook can finally slide the ring onto Yoongi’s finger. It looks beautiful on Yoongi’s slender fingers. All of Yoongi is beautiful, even now with his unbrushed hair hastily tied into a messy half bun, and his (Jungkook's) old t-shirt and sweatpants he’s wearing. Jungkook brushes the stray hairs out of Yoongi’s face and looks at him for a few moments longer before kissing his lips. It starts off slow and sweet, and then somehow, the next thing he knows, Yoongi’s pressed to their mattress under him, his hair billowing all around him, making soft, hot, sweet, sweet sounds as Jungkook presses hot kisses down his neck.


-


At their next concert, when the cameras zoom into Yoongi’s hands on the keyboard during one of his solos, Jungkook can’t help but beam upon seeing his ring glinting on the screen.


-


Jungkook is delighted when their schedules allow them to attend his brother’s wedding, and when Yoongi agrees to come with him. He’s even more delighted when Yoongi lets him help him with his hair. He finishes it with a simple yet delicate (fake) diamond encrusted silver hair band. Jungkook trails his fingers down the loose strands of his hair under the braided halo, pulling them forward to rest over his shoulders. His hair comes down to his mid-back now. Jungkook loves it.

He leans down to capture Yoongi’s lips in a kiss, sliding his hand around to caress the side of Yoongi’s neck, taking care not to mess up the hair they just spent ages doing. God, he could kiss Yoongi forever. He almost, almost wants to not go and just stay here with Yoongi, but this is his brother’s wedding, he can’t miss that. Besides, he has forever to stay with Yoongi. The wedding only happens once.

They finish getting ready and head to the wedding. Jungkook is proud to say he doesn’t cry.

“Jungkook!” someone calls—one of his aunts, he realises. “It’s been so long, you’ve grown up so well!” she pats the side of his cheeks.

“Ah, thank you,” Jungkook replies rather bashfully, his words coming out slightly distorted from his cheeks still being squished by her.

“Is this your girlfriend?” she says gesturing to Yoongi.

Yoongi clears his throat. “Fiancé, actually,” he says, and Jungkook can tell he’s purposely deepening his voice. He tries his best not to laugh.

“Ah, sorry, my mistake,” she quickly says, eyes widening upon hearing his voice. “Well, it was a pleasure to see you again Jungkook, and you too, uh…”

“Yoongi.”

“Right. I’m off to find your brother now, he seems to have evaded me.”

Jungkook bursts out laughing as soon as she’s gone.

“I wonder how many other people think you’re my girlfriend, oh my god,” he wheezes out.

Yoongi smacks his arm with a huff. “Maybe I should just grow out my facial hair. Then maybe I’ll look ‘masculine’ enough.”

Jungkook kisses away his pout. “You already look masculine enough. You’re perfect.”

Yoongi screws up his face in disgust. “Ugh, gross.”

“You love it really,” Jungkook teases.

“Absolutely not. I despise it.”

And then he kisses Jungkook again anyway.

 

-

 

Jungkook through a nother section of Yoongi's hair to remove the tangles before starting on another plait, hardly paying attention and just letting his fingers do all the work. It doesn't exactly have to look nice right now, after all, they're just lying in bed. Jungkook just likes plaiting it. He thinks Yoongi's fallen asleep, given that his eyes are closed and his breathing even, but then he speaks up out of nowhere.

"Jungkook?"

"Hm?" Jungkook replies, still working on the plait.

"You know I love you, right?"

Jungkook's heart skips a beat. Of course he knows, and Yoongi's said it before, but that doesn't stop him feeling giddy whenever he hears those three words. He abandons Yoongi's hair in favour of his cheek instead, and Yoongi's eyes slowly blink open as he turns to look at Jungkook.

"Of course. And I love you." He doesn't say 'too'. It's not a competition. It's just a separate fact. Yoongi loves him and he loves Yoongi.


-


Yoongi, Jungkook and the other soloists stand up at the end of the concert to the audience’s applause. Namjoon introduces them all individually, and then:

“Our resident couple, newlyweds Yoongi and Jungkook, on keyboard and mixed percussion respectively.”

The spotlights shine on them, and Jungkook doesn’t think he’s ever smiled so hard. He glances at Yoongi, and his beautiful gummy smile is lighting up his face more than the spotlight ever could. Jungkook is so proud, and so, so happy.