final

Don't Forget About Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuta eyes were feeling heavy. Which was extremely dangerous. He was driving back to the city after attending a meeting in the prefecture, even though he was just an employ and he wasn’t head of sales yet. Still, his boss liked to make him do the jobs outside the office. And here he was, driving back in the middle of the night after hours of working. The road was empty by this time of the night, but there were vehicles and building equipment all along the high way, as they were widening the road, cutting down the trees all around.

Yuta didn’t know how many hours he had been driving. Or if he had fallen asleep behind the wheel. But, suddenly, he heard a loud noise and the car started shaking. Yuta stopped the car in panic. It took him a few minutes to set his heart back to its regular pace.  He then jumped out of the vehicle, fearing the worst. He must have indeed fallen asleep and he had hit someone or something. It was obvious that he hadn’t collided with another car. But in the middle of the road, there was a black figure. Fear took him over, but he turned the flashlight of his cellphone on and he approached it. As he was getting closer, the figure was getting smaller, till the form of a bunny lying on the cold street appeared.

Yuta quickly picked it up, carefully examining his body. The small animal was unconscious, but it was breathing. However, there was no blood neither were injuries on his body. Still, Yuta decided to take it to a vet. He took out the box with the flyers he had on the back seat and emptied it, filling it with an old sweater he had forgotten there from a picnic years ago, and then he laid the bunny on it, closing the lid, but making sure that there were some holes around it, so the animal could breathe.

Yuta was so shocked by his experience, that he was numb as he was driving. He reached the city after midnight. He knew that there was a pet clinic in his neighborhood, but by the time he parked his car, it was closed. Yuta desperately googled for a clinic that was still open. But, the only one was on the other side of the city. Yuta opened the lead and looked at the bunny which was still sleeping.

“I’m sorry, buddy. You have to wait till morning,” he murmured and carried the box up to his apartment.

Yuta left a bowl of water in the box and he dropped on his bed, immediately falling asleep.

He woke up next morning, by the light showering from the window above his bed. He thanked his good luck that he didn’t overslept and he still had some time to take a bath and to take the bunny to a vet, before going to his office.

After allowing the hot water to drip down his body, he felt immediately more relaxed and confident to start his day and face his annoying boss once again.

Yuta grabbed a towel and tied it around his waist, as he lazily picked the only clean shirt he had left and matched it with one of his many identical ties that he’s mom had picked up for him, those ones that everyone in the office wore as well. He was on his way to fish some socks from the drawer, when he heard a loud noise, like something was smashed on the floor, coming from the kitchen. Yuta immediately grabbed the heaviest object he found near him, that happened to be trophy from a soccer competition he had entered when he was ten and had somehow moved in with him when he got his place in the big city, and advanced to face the source of the noise.

He walked smoothly, hoping that it was just a plate he had misplaced and had decided that it was time to finally let go and free fall to his kitchen cold floor. However, the annoying noise continued, remind Yuta of scratching and crunching. Was it that the rabbit had gotten out of the box? Yuta glanced at the door, where he had left the box last night, and sure enough it was destroyed and ripped in pieces. Yuta was surprised. The bunny didn’t look that big to be able to do that much damage, but it was a relief as well that it was alive and well enough to go around messing with his things.

Yuta put down the trophy, convinced now that there was no thief, but rather, a very upset wild animal in his kitchen. But Yuta wasn’t prepared to come face to face not with a rabbit but with a tall, slender boy, who was stuffing himself with the whole continent of Yuta’s fridge.

Yuta’s first reaction was to scream. Which resulted to having the boy scream as well, and to the screaming continuing until Yuta backed up and found the trophy again, putting it in between him and the intruder.

“Who are you and what do you want? Just so you know, I have already called the police and they are on their way here,” Yuta lied. He had never come across a situation like that and he didn’t know how to react, other than what he had seen in movies.

“The question is who are you!” the boy snapped back, looking more relaxed now, as he helped himself with an apple.

“I’m the owner of this house! This is my house!” Yuta just yelled, feeling frustrated, as the man looked more at home than he was.

“Okay, glad we shorted that out.”

“Excuse me! You do realize that you are the one who is intruding.”

“Me? You brought me here!”

“What?” Yuta was starting to realize that maybe he was dealing with a crazy person and it didn’t help that he was only wearing a bath towel.

“And, as a matter of fact, you ran me over! And you kidnapped me!” the boy started shouting, like he was coming to the realization of what had supposedly happened.

“No, I didn’t,” Yuta laughed. He did that when he was nervous and angry, a habit that he hated. “Unless you are a rabbit.”

The boy looked at him sideways and continued eating, as if he was waiting for him to connect the dots. But, seeing that Yuta was lost and getting even more frustrated with the boy’s attitude, he added, “Well, the rabbit form is my best, but I couldn’t reach the cold box. By the way, I borrowed some of your, assuming, clothes, although I am not sure how to wear those. Don’t you own a kimono?”

Yuta’s jaw dropped. He looked at the boy, confirming that he was wearing his jump suit pants and a t shirt, which he was wearing backwards.

“Right, um…let me make a call, okay?” Yuta kept his eyes fixed on the man as he tried to locate his cell phone. He decided to not argue with him, as he might be dangerous after all.

“Actually, before doing that, you need to prepare my bath. My back is killing me after you hit me with that thing.”

“You want me to …?”

“B-A-T-H! What, is it too much to ask, after this!” he turned around and flashed his back at Yuta. The later looked in shock. The boy’s back was drawn with too nasty red thick lines, that looked like tier marks. What was this? Was this some kind of joke? Or…

“Yukai! You are a Yukai!”

“Ignorant mortal! Calling me a lowly Yukai! I should have you turned into a rock for your impudence.”

“Look, I don’t really believe or know much about gods and stuff, so I don’t really what you are, but you can’t stay here!”

“Why not?”

“Because…because this is my house! And you are a magical creature, I guess, of the woods and you have to return to your natural environment.”

“I am more than willing to leave this dirty hole and go back to my woods, but, you own me, remember? You hit me! I am injured because of you and you have to take care of me until I am well again.”

“No way I’m doing that!”

“Are you declining taking care of your dept?”

“I can pray to you or something? But, having you living here….” Just then the windows started shuttering and the whole room started shacking violently. Yuta panicked, tried to sneak himself under the table, as he was taught to do when earthquakes occur, but he saw the boy’s face and he just froze. Because the boy’s innocent, geeky face, with bright eyes and high cheekbones, had transformed into a black storm, his eyes opal and his skin blue. Fear took him over, as he started realizing that the boy was indeed a magical creature, dangerous and powerful.

“I am sorry!” Yuta screamed. “I am really sorry for insulting you! I will gladly take care of you!”

Immediately the shaking stopped and the boy’s face turned back into normal, as if nothing had even happened.

“Good, now that we are on the same page, start with preparing my bath and then take care of the food.”

Yuta leaned on the wall, trying to get his breathing back to normal. He had to get a grip of himself and start planning of what he was going to do from now on. So, he had hit a god’s guardian or something and he had now to take care of him. That might take some weeks, in which case, he had to find a futon or something to make his longing and probably clean up a bit as well. But, before all that, he had to set some rules, as the creature was being a bit bossy, and he was going to be late for work.

“Listen, umm… how can I call you?”

“I am deeply offended that you can not even recognize me! But, I don’t expect too much from a man who dresses with only a small piece of cloth. So, just so you know, I’m the great…I am….”

“You don’t have a name?”

“Of course I have a name. Who do you think I am?”

“Then, you can’t remember it?”

“I know who I am! I’m…” the boy frowned, deep in thought and the room started gently shaking again.

“Maybe you have amnesia!”

“What?”

“Amnesia. You know, you temporary forgot due to the accident,” Yuta franticly spitted, fearing to experience the boy’s wrath again. “It happens,” he added, as he saw the doubt in his eyes.

“So, you not only caused me pain, but memory loss as well!”

“And I’m sorry, but I have to call you something until then. How about….” Yuta glanced over the old papers that he was meaning to recycle at some points. With big black letters, the articles title was announcing the new app that a man had created.

“Do…Doyoung?”

“Do I look like a Doyoung?”

“Yes, yes you are. It’s a…royal name.”

“Then Doyoung it is,” the boy said satisfied.

“Okay, Doyoung, I have to go to work, so…”

“Wait! You work? Are you a slave?”

“No, I’m an office worker.”

“What is that? I have never heard of that.”

“It’s a…anyway, I can’t be late.”

“Your master will not have it, I understand. But, fear not! You will say that you are treating me!”

“But…we don’t know your name yet. He will not believe me.”

“I can come with you.”

“You are injured. You can’t travel,” Yuta was getting impatient. He couldn’t have Doyoung going around in the city causing earthquakes.

“And I have to make money in order to take good care of you.”

“That is correct. Okay, you have my permission to go!”

“Thank you. Can I go and dress up too?”

Doyoung gestured with his hand dramatically and Yuta rushed to his closet, putting on the clothes he had picked.

“So, here is the bathroom, and you can use it for your…bathing…and you can eat what was left from the fridge as well. I will bring food when I’m back, okay?” Yuta grabbed his keys and his bag.

“What? You can’t leave me like…”

“You are a great powerful um… god, and you can handle everything!” Yuta yelled, as he was putting on his shoes and running out of the door before he could hear Doyoung’s reaction.

Sure enough, his boss was angry again. He was not satisfied with the results of the meeting and he was yelling to anyone who happened to be in the office. So, Yuta had to stay longer and to go and pick up some groceries for Doyoung. By the time he arrived home, it was already ten o clock.

“Doyoung? Are you in?” Yuta called, as he dragged his shopping bags in, only to find a chaos. The fridge was open, and empty, his clothes on the floor along with the rubbish from the bin, kitchen utensils in the bathroom’s sink and his bedroom lamp on the bed, where the boy was looking at it curiously.

“What happened?”

“Good, you’re back! I’m hungry!” Doyoung jumped up and aimed for the bags, which Yuta got out of his reach just in time.

“What have you done? Why is my house like this?”

“I was trying to figure things out, as you said.”

“That…I can’t believe that someone could actually turn a house like this in a day!”

“It wasn’t my fault. Everything you own is off! Your bathroom isn’t a bathroom at all! And that cold box…”

“Cold box? The fridge?”

“And the fire in the sphere!”

“The lights? Doyoung…have you ever left the forest?”

“I have!”

“When?”

“…I … well, I have!”

Yuta wanted to scream. This creature not only had turned his world upside down, but he also lived in the past century.

But he couldn’t despair, not yet. So, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter