Three

Good Thing

"You're quite dumb for saying that, did you know?"

Seulgi glances at her passenger and gave Yeri a shoulder shrug in response. After the encounter with Irene the other day, she locked herself up in her room thinking about the words thrown at her by the said girl. They hurt and maybe she was out of her mind for saying that, but it's already out there and she's more than determined to prove herself that Irene has got everything wrong about her.

Seulgi maneuvered her car to the basement parking, parked her car in an empty parking space and turned the engine off. She has Sunday night gigs at Itaewon and let's Yeri tag along with her tonight, who most certainly did not beg her, as she got nothing better to do on a Sunday night. Seulgi is playing every Sunday night in Nerd On Earth or the Nerd Bar for short - a hip rooftop bar in Itaewon that's quite a popular spot but with exclusive entry pass or prior reservation- with her friends in a band she might as well take advantage of the free entrance and drinks. Coming up, the bar is divided to a cozier indoor bar -where a stage on one corner faces high tables, the open bar with high chairs, and cozy booths- and the open rooftop space with scattered tables and chairs overlooking the hip neighborhood. On summer nights, a makeshift stage is setup in the open area but when temperature drops they go back to the indoor stage setup.

As soon as Seulgi walked farther into a familiar corner, a chorus of shouts and laughter filled her ears from their unofficial designated booth with her friends from the band. Seulgi's with her high school friends Taeyong, Johnny and Seungyeon formed an indie band they first assembled in the rooftop of their old school, their first encounter happening while trying to escape detention. Four years later, Uncover is Nerd Bar's 9p.m. Sundays regular band and they have regular patrons too, specifically coming in on Sundays for their performance. Despite their local fans who look forward to their Sunday gigs, they don't plan to gain more popularity than what they have now, they only play for fun and to get together.

Even though Sunday gigs are not serious business, they have their own songs too, mostly composed by Taeyong and her, and the bar's owner let them play their originals. Seulgi looks forward to her Sunday nights when she can get lost in playing their music and enjoy the company of her friends- this is her secret escape. When things get tough, when she's sad, even the rare moments she gets excited over things, she sings every Sunday night with her friends.

"Irene Bae dislikes you that bad Seulgi unnie. Sure she's pretty, and smart, and borderline perfect except that she's short, but maybe just the right height for you, but my point is she was mean to you, all the time! You don't have to prove anything to her or me the dare was so long ago you gotta get over it." Yeri blabbers on as she tails Seulgi going up the rooftop bar to their booth.

"Hush it already, squirtle."

And though Seulgi thinks Yeri has a point, she might agree to all that she said, even on the perfect height part, and really should just let go of this idiocy, except that she feels this strong will to prove Irene wrong; not just about her perception about Seulgi, but of everything else that feels beyond her comfort zone.

"Kim Yerim, you can either support me and my life decisions or you're saying goodbye to Nerd On Earth free passes, your choice." Seulgi snickers when Yeri looked at her in horror, she motioned at the long line of night outers trying their luck to get in the bar.

Seulgi grins widely at the sight of her high school friends who's up on their feet at the sight of the duo. She gives Yeri one pointed look and she was fast on her side. "Mission let's make Irene Bae fall head over heels for Kang Seulgi is on"

"Thought so." Seulgi grins as she tugs her to her side and slid in the booth high-fiving her friends.

After a round of greetings, the band of four started to take their places on the makeshift stage for the night, ready to make the night of their patrons with their music.

"Good evening everyone, thank you for coming out tonight to spend your lovely Sunday evening here at the Nerd Bar, we're glad to have you all." Johnny, their band's pianist, and resident loud spokesperson opens. He's a tall guy, towering over everyone they know with a heart just as big, in translation, he's a softie and they love him all the more.

Johnny knows how to lead the crowd and the night progresses with Seulgi getting lost in singing mellow music, strumming her guitar, and the crowds appreciative applause. There's a sense of fulfillment right there, it's fleeting but existed in that moment- being in front of the crowd performing, and getting appreciated for turning their night one notch better. She influenced this good mood, the smiling faces, the happy chatter- Seulgi believed that they made the night for what it is and the people for what they have going on, a wonderful night.

All the while, Yeri manned their booth and took advantage of the free drinks. The owner, Kim Taeyeon, is kind to let them have a round of drinks and a platter of burger and fries on the house. After their set ended two hours later, a soft jazz from the stereo system replaced their singing, the patrons had dwindled down to a number of tables left occupied, tomorrow's a Monday after all, and Seulgi has bid her friends goodbye carrying a drunk Yeri who snags them attention as she sings loudly to Ariana Grande's Break Free.

What a night, what a weekend. Seulgi thought as she drives them back home, to an empty house.

-

"Okay everyone, listen up! This would be our biggest project so far, so we need to do our best especially on the funding part. We need to think of ideas how to raise funds, aside from go to private individuals and institutions. We all know getting support for LBGTQ+ organization is not as easy as other causes." Irene reminds her members during their weekly meeting. Including two new volunteers, Joy and Rosé, she has a total of five audience in the room.

"We already have a go signal to solicit, approved by Professor Jessica Jung, we take these solicitation papers to our target sponsors as proof that what we're doing is an official project, a small scale crisis support services to LGBTQ young people." Irene commands the room, not missing the silhouette of a person slipping in, late as usualy, she dare not spare a second more of attention.

"While we're at it, we can also take this opportunity to look for a place for the LGBTQ+ homeless teens we gather on weekends. It's one thing to help them cope with who they are, it's going to be life-changing to give those teens a home. I know we're only a small group of university students, but I do believe we can make a big difference. It's all about networking and making connections." Irene strongly declares, helping the youth who deals with being "different" is something she has strong passion for.

"We can go by pairs to meet sponsors instead of going together so that we can reach more people and places. We'll draw lots so no one's complaining who's going with who. Wendy, please?" Irene motions for Wendy who is holding three neatly folded pieces of papers for them to draw.

"Alright folks, since there's six of us, only three will draw. Since Jennie, Irene and I are already way too familiar  with each other, I have Seulgi, Rosé and Joy's names written here so we can have the chance to get to know everyone." Wendy explains, making Irene flinch, there's one out of three chances of being paired with Seulgi. Something heavy settled in her stomach, there's always uneasiness when Seulgi is involved. She must admit though, she was out of line last weekend which made her all the more uneasy to face Seulgi. Mostly she's just annoyed by her.

"And one more thing, Seulgi and I are best friends and I bunk with her so I took the liberty of ruling her out of my lucky draw." Wendy supplies, looking at Irene innocently. " Don't worry Irene, I had Jennie shuffle the names so I eqaully have no idea who's it gonna be between Rosé and Joy." Wendy adds as she raises the folded paper she had chosen.

Great. It just turned a fifty-fifty chances now.

"Alright, you two pick your partner."

Seulgi observes on the sideline silently, eyeing the nervous leader. Even if she doesn't want to, Seulgi always finds herself gazing at Irene.

Irene did not hesitate to snag one paper while Jennie takes the remaining one. Jennie and Irene opens their picked papers, and the obvious disdane was answer enough to Seulgi. Instead of feeling disappointed with Irene's reaction, Seulgi felt like laughing silly. "Is she allergic towards me to feel that way?"

"Ready, you two?" Wendy asks. "Alright let's reveal our partners!"

Wendy turns to the girl with ash blonde hair. "Rosé is my partner!" she proclaims excitedly, while Jennie looks at the tallest one in their group. "You must be Joy? Hi."

Seulgi walks with a purpose towards the front while Irene looks at the piece of paper in her hand, in an audible voice she reads. "It's Seulgi."

And Seulgi lost it, she laughed in pure amusement, not that she cared but her boisterous laughter filled the entire room making everyone turn to her including the not so amused Irene. "I'm sorry, it just that, Irene looked like her cat died or something."

Wendy and Jennie snorts. They most certainly had nothing to do with the draw results.

"Ms. Bae, if you don't want to partner up with me, you can always switch with Jennie." Seulgi challenges.

Irene meets her eye to eye. "No, it's okay."

"You sure? You do look like you're about to attend a funeral after picking my name, don't try to deny it."

"Okay, before you two rip each other's head off or whatever, I'm going." Jennie interjects, definitely not part of some scheming plan. She turns to Wendy and the two newbies. "You guys coming with me?"

Before Irene can protests, the rest all went scurrying away leaving her with Seulgi in the room. She crosses towards the front table where she left her bag, picking up her belongings, trying to ignore the boring stare of Seulgi on her back.

"I don't want you causing any problems that may cause me this project, you hear me Kang Seulgi?" Irene say as she finally turns.

Seulgi scoffs, gone was the amusement she was feeling not long ago and replaced with a sense of irritation towards Irene, who looked so composed and undeniably beautiful still. "So you think, would cause you a problem? Is that it? Why does it feel like you're scared of me Irene Bae Joohyun?"

"I'm not scared of you." Irene replies with a hint of defensiveness in her tone.

Seulgi shortens the gap between them hovering close to Irene who couldn't hide her sharp intake of breathe at the sudden closeness."Then why are you acting like you are? You look mad but I know you're nervous. Do I make you nervous?"

Irene sidesteps and bumps her shoulder on Seulgi's as she moves away, starting towards the exit, not looking back at Seulgi. "You're imagining things Kang." she said.

"Then prove it Bae!" Seulgi shouts to Irene's retreating form.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

I'm still testing the direction of where this is going, please leave me comments, what do you think so far?"

Also, CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE COMEBACK! Red Velvet is always full of surprises, Feel My Rhythm is not what I expected it to be, and that's exactly why it's a unique masterpiece only Red Velvet can pull off. I'm so excited for the coming days! Let's create new memories with Red Velvet to cherish.

 

One more thing, reveluvs, if you have a moment to spare, I hope you can share my campaign for my student in need of a heart surgery, your RTs will be a big help. If you have a dollar/peso to spare, maybe you can donate too:

Donation Drive for EJAMAE's Heart Surgery

for Filo reveluvs you can join the raffle and win a SEALED Feel My Rhythm album Orgel ver.:

Raffle for a Cause for EJAMAE

 

Thank you!