That Cottage in the Woods

That Cottage in the Woods

How Taeyang managed to land himself into the entrance of the Rapisura forest everyone was warned not to get close to, he didn’t know. All he knew was that he was being chased by three very bulky and mean looking men for being caught stealing food for his lunch and that he had to get out of the market, fast. He had to lose them, which meant he had to go through a lot of side streets to get away.


And that he did. He didn’t even bother looking at where he was going; hastily apologizing to whoever he had bumped into while trying to avoid more accidents from occurring. He trusted his feet to take him where he knew he wouldn’t be caught, but he didn’t expect to be led to this very clearing—the one marking the start of the Rapisura forest.

Taeyang hesitated. He’d heard about the Rapisura forest from the villagers in the market and all they had to say about was that no one was to enter it because there was a big chance that they wouldn’t be able to come back. It was said that the banished and the different inhabited said forest, and that they liked to feast on the unfortunate humans that stumbled upon the woods that they called their home. 

It was also the reason that people in the Aetana village avoided him like a plague. For the past ten years that he had been living on the streets of Aetana, not once was he treated like he was normal, and that all because he was first found exiting the forest all bloody and bruised a decade ago. It didn’t help that he didn’t look all that normal either. With his jet black hair, bright emerald eyes and the mark of of intertwined swirls along the side of his neck, he knew that he’d stand out among the blond haired, brown eyed Aetanas.

He didn’t know whether to believe the things the Aetanas are claiming regarding the Rapisura forest. He wasn’t sure if he had actually been there just like what those people that first found him had claimed. He was sure, though, that he wouldn’t be harmed if he ventured inside. If you asked him how knew that, he’d answer you that he didn’t know, but that he felt secure and safe while standing near the entrance to the Rapisura. 

Thinking that he really had nothing to lose, Taeyang proceeded to take a step forward and entered the forest. It was like entering another realm. Cold wind brushed past him as he entered, the air feeling welcoming. He knew something was different; that he wasn’t in Aetana anymore.  For some reason he started feeling familiar—like he had been here before. Maybe he had, maybe he hadn’t. He wouldn’t know; he was missing the first ten years of his life after all. Hell he couldn’t even remember his family prior to ending up in Aetana. 


Taeyang kept on walking deeper into the forest, his feet unconsciously taking control over where he was going. The mage took in the forest as he waked, a nagging on his mind kept on telling him that he had been here before. When exactly, he couldn’t remember. Maybe it was before he was found? Before he lost his memories? 

Just as he was passing by a fairly large tree, he saw a wooden box sitting under it. Taeyang was about to give it no mind but it looked so out of place on where it sat that he couldn’t help but be drawn to it. The mage approached the tree, sitting on the ground when he was in front of the closed box. Two words were inscribed on top of the box: ‘OPEN ME’.  Taeyang, being the curious mage that he was, picked the box up and carefully inspected it, trying to see if there were other writings or instructions written on the surface of the box. After that he tried to sense if there were jinxes and curses cast on the box that might be harmful if he were to meddle with it. When he found none, he unlocked the box (he had to use a little telekinesis to disable the lock mechanism on the box) and removed the lid. He wasn’t expecting what he saw: light blue orbs flew upwards from the inside of the box, as if being let out for the first time. He watched as they settled in mid air, as if waiting for Taeyang to make a move. 

When the young mage showed no signs of moving first, the recently released orbs started heading away from him and deeper into the forest. He followed the orbs, curious as to where they would lead him. 


Taeyang has seen a lot of weird in his twenty years of living, but that did not mean that he wasn’t surprised to see where the orbs had led him. They were really deep in the forest now, having walked at least an hour, if he had to estimate. It felt like he was in a whole new world, where he didn’t feel restricted, feared or judged. Plus, dryads tending to trees and plants weren’t supposed to be real in Aetana and yet he had encountered a couple during the hour ish walk earlier. Don’t ask him how he knew, he just did and he wouldn’t give a proper explanation because he couldn’t. 


Back into being really deep in the forest, one wouldn’t really expect a brick cottage to be built in such a place and yet here Taeyang was, standing in front of a fairly big one, totally clueless on what he was supposed to next. 


He looked around, trying to analyze his surroundings in case something bad happened and he had to make a quick get away. He then headed for the front door—a single wooden rectangular door with intricate patterns carved into it’s surface. It looked a bit old, upon closer inspection. In fact, the wall connected to it appeared to be old as well, with its bricks having cracks both long and short. From afar it looked normal to Taeyang and so he didn’t notice but now that he was really near, he was able to observe that the cottage itself was built here quite a long time ago. 

He didn’t know what came over him, but Taeyang raised a delicate finger to trace over the cracks on the brick wall near him. The way his hand did it was so familiar it was like he used to do it a lot before. As he did so, tiny fragments of the brick started falling off and Taeyang immediately retracted his hand in fear of doing more damage to the already fragile looking wall. 

He retreated away from the house, and was about to just leave but then his vision started becoming blurry. He stumbled a bit but he managed to lean on a nearby tree just as he was assaulted by a headache. He closed his eyes and that was when he saw it: a single wooden rectangular door with intricate patterns carved into it’s surface. The bricks that made up the wall beside the door had cracks on it, but what was different was the height of the doorknob. It was taller than Taeyang. He looked to his right and saw a kid shorter than him tracing the cracks on brick wall, small fragments of the brick falling onto the ground. 

The young mage opened his eyes and looked around, the pain in his head subsiding ever so slightly. He was back into the forest, a few feet away from the cottage. He didn’t know what triggered the vision he just had, and instead of giving him answers it just added to the list of questions he had about his past. Why was he there? Did he go there often? Who was the kid beside him tracing the cracks on the wall?
He planned on leaving once the pain in his head started disappearing—he really did—but just as he was about to take a step forward away from the house he could feel something stopping him from leaving. Looking around nothing was there, the vicinity a bit empty. He looked at the house again, feeling the familiarity it was emitting. Why was it familiar? 

He must have been standing there and staring a the house for a lot longer than intended that he didn’t sense the presence of someone coming near him nor hear their footsteps until they spoke: “May I help you?” 

Taeyang visibly jumped at the voice behind him. He turned around and breathed a sign of relief when he saw that it was only a guy, probably not older than him with how young he looked. He had shoulder length brown hair, but Taeyang could see the roots being black and so the former originally have jet black hair as well. He was a bit thin, and was about Taeyang’s height. 

The stranger chuckled at Taeyang’s reaction. “I apologize for startling you. I thought you heard my footsteps with how noisy they were because of the dried leaves on the ground.” 

Taeyang, finally getting over the shock, shook his head. “It’s fine.”

The stranger grinned, extending his hand for Taeyang to shake. “My name is Youngkyun. What’s yours? You were staring at our house quite intently earlier, do you need anything?”

Taeyang grabbed the offered hand and shook it. “I’m Taeyang. I don’t know? I was actually led here by tiny orbs—are you okay?”
Youngkyun’s grinning face turned into a surprised one when Taeyang mentioned his name. The latter saw recognition in the other’s eyes, and then relief. But seeing as there was no such reaction coming from Taeyang, the former’s face fell slightly, letting go of Taeyang’s hand. He shook his head and then grinned again. “Ye-yeah I’m fine. So orbs? You said you were led here by orbs?” At Taeyang’s nod, Youngkyun continued, “were they inside a box?”

Another nod. 

Youngkyun chuckled. “It seems like one of Chanhee’s boxes found it’s way to you. Are you sure there’s nothing you need?”

Youngkyun, Chanhee. Why do those names sound familiar? “I’m not really sure, to be honest.”

Youngkyun grabbed Taeyang’s hand and started heading towards the house. “There’s probably a reason you stumbled upon that box, Taeyang hyung, so come with me and let us help you. That is what we do best.” 

Taeyang hyung? “‘Hyung’? How are you so sure that i’m older than you?” Taeyang asked as he let himself be dragged by Youngkyun. 
Youngkyun winked. “Just a hunch.” A gust of wind blew past them and Taeyang was able to see the same mark he had on Youngkyun’s neck when the wind blew his hair away. “You should probably stay for dinner too, hyung. It’s gonna get dark soon.” 


The inside of the cottage had a homey feel; with the living room having couches—from what Taeyang could see from where he was at the foyer. But then again, even the inside of the house was familiar; the young mage felt like he really had been in here before. 

“Youngbin hyung!” Youngkyun called as they entered. “We have a customer!”

Testing a theory, Taeyang asked, “Say Youngkyun, is the kitchen still at the back part of the house? Near the bathroom?”

Taeyang’s theory, that he really has been here before, was confirmed with Youngyun’s eager nodding and gummy smile. “Yeah, how did you know?” There was hope in his eyes but Taeyang didn’t know why it was there. 

Taeyang shrugged. “Just a hunch.”

Just then, another person entered the foyer and greeted the two of them. “Hello, my name is Youngbin and I own this cottage. How may I help you?”

Taeyang was about to answer but Youngkyun beet him to it, “Taeyang hyung stumbled upon one of Chanhee’s boxes and that’s what got him here. He also didn’t know if he needed anything, thought you ought to know.” 

Youngbin nodded just as another guy entered the house. “I’m ho-Taeyang hyung?”

Taeyang looked at the newcomer confused. “Do I know you?” 

Unlike Youngkyun whose face fell for a few seconds only, the newcomer’s did for a lot longer when asked the question.  Out of the corner of his eye, Taeyang saw Youngkyun shook his head at Chanhee. The two of them stared at each other for a bit as if having a silent conversation—

That Taeyang understood. 

I don’t remember? Why don’t I remember? Who are these people? Am I supposed to know them? Why do they know who I am?

“On second thought, I might actually need your help,” Taeyang started, turning to Youngbin. “For some reason, a significant amount of my memories is missing. I was hoping you could help me retrieve them?"


Walking very calmly while following the orbs earlier had given Taeyang to think about things he’d rather not but know the he had to sooner or later. He couldn’t just live his life not finding the missing ten years from his memory. When he tried to remember, all he could see was orange; all he could hear were screams that weren’t only his. For ten years he has tried to remember but he’s had no such luck. Sometimes he’d wondered maybe someone had deliberately meddled with his memory, but he couldn’t think of a reason on why someone would do that to him. 

There were times that he’d want to give up trying and just move on, but the want to find out what happened to him always overpowered the negative thoughts. He just had to know what the orange was, and why were there screams. 

When he was at Aetana, he didn’t know who to ask or what to do in order to regain his memory. Especially since people didn’t really want to get associated with him because he was different. These were the times he wanted to just stop. But then now here was a man-a memory manipulator, as he claimed- willing to help him. Of course Taeyang wasn’t one to trust strangers easily, but the aura he was getting from Youngbin screamed freaking trustworthy that he was so tempted to take up the offer. 

“Have you decided, dear?” Youngbin asked gently. Beside him, Youngkyun and Chanhee sat, eyes hopeful and postures eager. “Look, you don’t have to give us an answer now. We know that it’s a big thing for you and that you need more time to think it over.” The two beside Youngbin deflated at the posible thought Taeyang wouldn’t want the help they were offering. 

“What’s the price?”

Youngbin shook his head. “There’s no price, sweetie. All we ask is that you stay with us. It’d make our two youngest especially happy. Deal?”

Taeyang understood why Youngbin said that. With who the two claimed to be, it was only natural for them to be happy if Taeyang agreed to it, and if their planned work. 

Plus, Taeyang really just wanted his memories back. 

“Deal.”


For now this is the end. I know it’s not really a good one, and I might add another chapter but those are just possibilities. I mighy causI just thought of this on a whim ish so yes this is the end for now. Thank you for reading and I apologize if I wasted your time =( have a good day/evening!