Paper Hearts

Paper Hearts

It started out small - pulling out a dandelion before offering it to Yonghwa before moving off her own way. It wasn't anything special, just a friendly gesture like a affectionate hug or platonic cheek kiss when she feels sad on a Sunday morning. 

Sometimes when she leaves for a business trip, Joohyun would save a couple of roses and got Yoona to deliver them to him for every day she was gone. She would always get a picture emailed to her with Yonghwa's smiling face and a thank you meme. 

Somewhere down the road Joohyun found herself to be thinking about him whilst listening to a love song - sometimes it would be a breakup song and she would create storylines in her head and cried at the end until her cat comes to her to soothe her. 

Then Yonghwa got a girlfriend. He broke the news to her when she returned back after a short trip back home with her luggage packed with petals. 

He accepted the flower, stating it would be the last one he would ever accept since it wouldn't be appropriate; even if they were just friends. Joohyun laughed, nodding in agreement and burned the rest of the flowers that night. 

Since that day, Joohyun never gave flowers to anyone else, until one day Yonghwa came by with flowers in his hands. Apologies slipping out from his mouth, but it was all too late. 

The white chrysanthemums followed her down her last journey of life.