[1]

what is love ?

“Hey Sooyoung?” The younger spoke into the darkness of the room.

“Mmm” Sooyoung answered lazily, too tired to fully acknowledge the other girl; they had been talking for hours and it was now early in the morning. Both were just hours away from having to get up for classes. Even though Jiwoo was a year younger than Sooyoung, they had some of the same classes. That’s actually the main reason Jiwoo was staying over at the older girl’s house tonight. They had planned on working on their essays together so they could help each other, but they ended up just talking and watching movies and eating snacks the whole time, completely disregarding their impending deadlines. This was quite usual for them though, they would often hang out and talk about every topic imaginable, and no matter what it was, Sooyoung always found herself completely immersed in the conversation. Whether she was interested in the topic or not, Sooyoung had taken a liking to simply hearing Jiwoo speak, about anything at all really. She had grown accustomed and almost attached to these times she spent with Jiwoo.

“Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in love?” Jiwoo suddenly questioned. This caught the older girl’s attention. No longer too tired to participate in the conversation, Sooyoung shifted her position on the bed and turned so that she was facing the younger girl, who was already staring back at her. As Sooyoung tried to think of an appropriate answer to her friend’s question, the younger spoke up again.

“Like, I know how it’s described in movies and stuff like that, but do you think that’s really how it will be?” Jiwoo added on to her question when she didn’t get an answer out of the other girl right away.

Sooyoung was at a loss for what to respond. Honestly, it wasn’t like she didn’t have an answer for Jiwoo; it was actually quite the opposite, Sooyoung had too much to say. Sooyoung knows exactly how it feels to be in love. She’s been through it. She was going through it right now, all unbeknownst to her friend.

“Uh, I-I don’t know Jiwoo,” Sooyoung finally managed to reply “I would imagine it’s pretty similar. The movies have to get those ideas from somewhere right?” She responded, adding a small forced laugh at the end out of nervousness. Sooyoung couldn’t really think straight and her mind was racing.

What was she supposed to say? She didn’t really feel like she could talk about being in love, fully well knowing that the person she is in love with is right in front of her. Why would Jiwoo even ask her this? Maybe Sooyoung was being too unfair on the other girl, she is younger than her, and probably curious about this kind of stuff. And besides, they’re friends; it shouldn’t be weird to ask something like that, right?

But it is weird.

“I don’t know… it seems like a bit much. It’s probably way over-exaggerated if you ask me.” Spoke Jiwoo, breaking the frantic train of thought running through Sooyoung’s head.

“A bit much??” Sooyoung thought “If only you knew, Jiwoo, If only you knew how my mood instantly lightens the second I see your smile. If only you knew how my body warms and my face flushes when you give me a hug or hold my hand. If only you knew how happy I am just from spending time with you. Then maybe you wouldn’t think it’s ‘a bit much’. If anything, movie descriptions can’t even begin to compare to how you make me feel.”

“Don’t you think, Sooyoung?” The younger girl broke her out of her thoughts once again, Sooyoung was honestly surprised at how easily she was getting thrown off track. Usually Sooyoung was someone who always had everything together. You would never catch her off guard or unprepared, and certainly never in the state she was currently in. Jiwoo’s question had simply caught her off-guard.

Of course Sooyoung knows what it’s like to be in love, but how could she even begin to answer that. She can’t have Jiwoo questioning her about it and trying to pry her way into Sooyoung’s secrets, because knowing Sooyoung, she can’t keep anything from Jiwoo.

Sooyoung decides to give her a little bit. Not enough where she could catch on to anything, but enough to somewhat answer the younger girl’s question.

“I guess it’s like having a best friend times 10.” She finally answered, cringing at how childish the response felt.

“What do you mean?” Jiwoo questioned, eyebrows furrowing slightly and eyes softening with curiosity and intent.

“Like, all the feelings of being happy when they’re happy, and wishing for their success, and wanting to always hang out with them, and enjoying every second of time you spend with them. All those feelings, but multiplied by ten. That’s how it feels to be in love. I-I mean… that’s what I would imagine.” Sooyoung quickly sputters. Proud of herself for finally being able to get something somewhat intelligent out, but nervous as to if she said too much and gave herself away. Thankfully, Jiwoo was just as tired as she was and didn’t seem to sense anything weird in her response.

“Mmm. That makes sense Sooyoung.” She answers sleepily as she turns around and settles down, probably to finally get some sleep and Sooyoung feels relief that she was able to avoid any uncomfortable situations while talking about this topic. A few minutes pass and neither have said anything more to each other so Sooyoung figured Jiwoo had fallen asleep, until she hears her quiet voice break the silence once again one last time.

“I just wish I knew what it’s really like, you know?”

“Trust me,” Sooyoung answered barely loud enough to be heard, “I wish you knew as well…”