one.

Heart Stop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One; Changes

Slouched shoulders, head hung, arms bound behind his back and a blue jumpsuit to boot. A young man, mid-teens at most, sat in the far back of the courtroom gallery. He should have been worried, he should have been very, very worried but instead he found the back of his palm over his mouth in an attempt to hide his never ending yawns from the Judge.

“Lee Taemin”

Here we go, he thought as he began to stand up and head towards the front of the courtroom, he wasn’t sure what he was gonna try to do, but he hoped the fake remorsefulness beginning to take expression on his face would help.

“A youth without a lawyer?” The Judge questioned, his head turned towards the clerk sitting to the side, tapping away at her keyboard. Before the clerk could respond another figure clad in a form fitting, expensive suit stepped forth, bowing as he approached.

“Your honor, forgive my tardiness- Choi Minho for the young person, Lee Taemin. First initial M last name C-H-O-I.”

“It’s quite alright,” the Judge nods before looking down at the paperwork in front of him. “Counsel, you’re not on file?”

“My apologies, Mr. Lee had contacted me only a few hours earlier for representation, I just flew back in from Incheon.”

“Alright, let’s proceed, the accused Lee Taemin is charged with one count of theft and two counts of uttering threats, what does the accused plead?”

“Not guilty, your honor.”

---

“You’re a free man, how’s it feel?” Minho asked as Taemin held out his arms for the sheriff to uncuff him.

“The same as it felt yesterday,” he answered simply as he stretched before looking at the older man with a confused look. “Typically this is the part where you’d explain who you are and why you’re helping me?”

“I’m your lawyer,” Minho responded with a cheeky grin to his voice.

“I didn’t call for a lawyer, who are you really?” he demanded, the irritation in his voice becoming evident as Minho’s eyes glanced at him shortly before looking back at the paperwork in his hands and handing them over to the younger boy.

“I’m from an organization– can’t get into it entirely but just know that we’re on the lookout for ambitious, able minded youth going through a rough time. We provide employment, food and shelter, help you find a footing for yourself in the world if you will.”

“What?”

“It’s as far as I can explain but read the paperwork and call me if you think you’re up to it.” Minho nodded his head before walking past the younger boy.

“Up for your pity party?” Taemin scoffed under his breath once the older male was out of earshot, “ no,”

---

10 years later

---

“Let’s do this the easier way, huh?” Taemin snorted at the shadow across the room from him, breathing heavy in order to catch his breath.

“I don't think so,” was the older man's response, successfully causing the little patience that Taemin had left to snap. Within seconds the ash blonde boy leapt forward and charged with a pocket knife held tightly in his right hand.

Things moved so quickly from then that there wasn’t even a moment to think things through, every move came from reflex and muscle memory for the younger of the two as he dodged his opponents fist and swung his own hand out, managing to run the blade of his knife against the man’s cheek. Right before he could give a celebratory smirk, the wind was knocked out of him from behind forcing him to tumble forward onto his hands and knees.

“You didn’t think I wouldn’t have backup, did you?” The older man snorted as his foot landed between Taemin’s shoulder blade, forcing him to fall face first onto the cold cement floor.

Still in shock, he could barely turn his head around to try to make out the figure who had dealt that final blow. Observing this, the older man let out a guffaw and kicked the younger male in the head with full force, instantly knocking him out.

“His friends

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter