One

A Homey Moment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One

Baekhyun sighs for the fifteenth time. The toaster still isn’t working. This is the third time this week that it’s decided to act up, but luckily Baekhyun got out of bed ten minutes earlier than usual to allow for any possible discrepancies.

Sullenly, he pulls the un-toasted bread from the toaster and stares at it. What does he do now? Does he make a sandwich? Or, he could still butter it and treat it like raw toast?

“You about to snog that bread?”

Baekhyun closes his eyes for a second and breathes out through his nose with a rush – a laugh that doesn’t make it past his lips. “The toaster has finally packed in, I think,” he grumbles, slapping the bread down on the plate he was going to use and turning to face Kyungsoo. He’s stood at the sink filling the kettle with tap water.

“There’s always the grill,” he says, putting the kettle to boil and passing Baekhyun again to reach the fridge. He’s dressed semi-smart today. Pressed, grey trousers, a white shirt, then a knit cardigan. It’s nice. Baekhyun tells him he looks nice.

“No, it’s fine I’ll just…” Baekhyun looks around, sighs again. “Have a yogurt or something.”

Kyungsoo is pouring milk over his cereal now – the miniature cookie kind. “Have some fruit too.”

“But fruit makes my tummy go funny.” Baekhyun pouts excessively and steps towards Kyungsoo to sulk on his shoulder. “Oh, Kyungsoo…” he whines dramatically. “I think the day is cancelled.”

Kyungsoo snorts. “Tell that to your boss.”

Baekhyun thinks of Junmyeon, flinches, then moves away so he can admire Kyungsoo as he eats from head-on. He can hear him chewing. Audible crunching that’s… oddly pleasant, seeing as there are no other noises in the room. Baekhyun has been meaning to buy a clock of some kind, the old-fashioned type that ticks and clicks, maybe even one that screams cuckoo! on the hour, yet work has been keeping him occupied.

“Do you have a long day today?” Kyungsoo asks, a bead of milk sitting in the corner of his mouth. Baekhyun swipes it away with his thumb, unthinking. Kyungsoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter