Prologue

Moon Fall

"Lady?"

A pair of honey-brown eyes shot open at the soft call from behind the door. A girl with light brown hair, almost blonde even, sighs as she gazes to the rising moon from her seat on the window ledge. She doesn't turn, doesn't even flinch when the heavy door creaks open, revealing a short-haired girl with the same-age appearance as her peeks from the crack.

"My Jupiter," the one on the window speaks. She doesn't give the other female even a single glance but she pats her hanging thigh in invitation. "Come near, my dear."

The girl with the short hair doesn't need to be told twice. She pulls a chair from the bedside, setting it under the window ledge and she sits down, resting her head on the other girl's thigh. A hand comes caressing her dark hair, rubbing her scalp at times as she looks up to her lady whose eyes shine nothing but worry.

She reaches up, intertwining her fingers with the bony ones of the female above. "Are you okay, my Lady?"

The one with the brown hair doesn't answer. Instead, she closes her eyes and moves her hand lower to caress the side of the other girl's head. "How many years?"

"Pardon?"

"How many years has it been?" the girl opens her eyes again, her honey-brown orbs staring at nothing outside the window. "How many years have we done this, Jihyo?"

Jihyo looks up, pity and sadness painting her feature as she raises her other hand to cradle the chiseled jaw. A kiss is pressed into her wrist as the honey-brown eyes finally lock with her own dark brown. "No matter how many years, please know that I'll always be here."

The other girl smiles, weakly. "It's been far too long."

"Lady–"

A chuckle.

"–Seungwan," Jihyo corrects herself, eliciting a fond smile on Seungwan's lips. "What is it troubling you?"

Seungwan leans back to the window sill. She breathes out, heavy, before she looks up to the pale moon hanging on the sky.

"The equilibrium is broken."

Jihyo keeps her silence as she retracts her hand.

"The world is chipping away, Jihyo. We have to find her now or everything will be for naught. It's time for her to return to her throne."

Seungwan slides down from her place on the ledge, wobbling a bit but Jihyo is quick enough to steady her. The short haired girl wraps an arm around Seungwan to keep her from falling, only letting her go when Seungwan taps her shoulder.

"What are you planning?" Jihyo asks, if a bit worried when the moon shines upon Seungwan's sickly feature.

It takes some time for the other girl to answer, and when she does, her eyes are full with determination as she stares deep into Jihyo's soul.

"Take me to the cromlech."

.

.

.

It's night, and the silence is deafening.

Jihyo grips the handle of the sword hanging on her belt as they walk through the forest of megaliths, wary of any sounds and any movement caught in her sight. While Seungwan walks a few steps in front of her, her mantle swaying in the cold night wind, pausing slightly when a sharp cry resounds from within the dark.

"The white one!" "She's here!" "The white!" "Tell them!" "Seungwan!" "Warrior!" "Our king!"

Flurries of black feather fill their vision as a flock of crows flap their wings around the two, prompting Jihyo to step closer to Seungwan. The brown-haired girl simply ignores the ruckus made by the crows, keeping her pace even despite the crows following them close, screaming all kind of greetings and hellos to the two humans.

A pair of massive megaliths stands at the center of the site, adorned with reliefs of a pair of crow, one in each stone. Seungwan waves her hand once and the reliefs glow to life.

"Huginn, Muninn."

Dark green feathers flutter as the larger crow flies toward Seungwan, followed by a smaller crow with lavender painting on each end of its feather. Seungwan once again waves her hand as a veil of light surrounds the two, as the crows morph into two shadows of girls kneeling before Seungwan.

"From now on, you shall be my eyes."

The taller one looks up, her emerald eyes shining in the pitch darkness.

"It's been too long, isn't it?"

"It is," Seungwan nods. "Without the moon, even the sun wouldn't be enough. We don't know how much longer can we keep this up. It's been far too long, and the universe is growing restless."

"We'll do what we can," the one with the purple eyes bows, before the two once again turn into crows and fly away from the site.

Seungwan follows the two crows with her eyes. As the crows disappear into the distance, she closes her eyes, feeling the warmth of the first light of the day hitting her face. She raises her hand, sighing, before she pulls it back and stares into the rising sun.

"The sun is a bit off today, don't you think so?"