end

Hyung Complexities
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun loves his job - or that's what he convinces himself every day that his alarm rings at five, prompting his heavy eyes to peel open and his fatigued body to leave the warm, cosy confines of his bed, dragging his feet on the floor and transporting the deadweight that is himself to the bathroom to get ready. Money. He gets paid, which in turn, covers bills and food and whatever expenses he has to meet while still leaving some pocket change to be deposited into his savings account. So in reality, Baekhyun just loves that he gets paid but he tries not to think too deeply about the fact that he's constantly miserable and exhausted and on the verge of having a breakdown because of said money.

He makes it to the shelter just as the sun's rays are flooding over the skyscrapers that are as high as his hopes of taking a vacation some time in the next decade. Nevertheless, he stops just short of the door, key in hand as he admires the golden flecks reflecting off the glass panes and metal edges, warm blues and muted pinks in between. Sighing, he his lips, fights off the urge to shudder from the morning chill and jostles the key around in the lock before it finally opens.

It's a habit for him to whisper a quiet good morning whenever he enters despite being the only soul inside. Reaching along the wall to his left, he flicks on the light switches, illuminating the small office in soft white light - soft enough to be comfortable for the patients of the shelter.

After being closed during the weekend, the place has a slightly musty odour lingering in the stale air and Baekhyun grumbles about the constant sunshine they'd had this weekend because he'd specifically instructed Minseok to shut the windows after the last weekend catastrophe a couple months ago when rain poured buckets and flooded the main office. He opens the windows and begins to clean, sanitising all the touchable surfaces and giving the floors a thorough sweep-through and mopping. He doesn't bother going into the back. He knows Joy and Seulgi would have done their jobs Friday afternoon and tidied the rooms and medical office. He's washing his hands and face when the bell above the front door chimes and in stumbles a disgruntled Minseok, youthful features weathered with the wrinkles evident at the corners of his frown and crease between his brows and above his eyes.

“Good morning to you too.” Baekhyun teases, stepping aside so the older could turn on the coffee maker in the small break room. All the rooms are small but they're perfect nevertheless and more importantly, they get the job done.

“Don't even get me started.” Minseok groans, rubbing at his eyes while the water begins to heat up in the coffee pot. “Why do newborns cry all night? Why don't they have an off button or something?”

Baekhyun snorts. “Give it some time. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it happen. First hybrids and then robot babies.” He shudders at the thought.

“I don't even know why I complain to you. All you do is reply with the driest sarcasm. No wonder Jongdae likes you.” Minseok sniffs. He pulls his coffee mug from the shelf and pours himself a generous cup.

“Jongdae doesn't like anyone.” Baekhyun grimaces as he thinks of those twitchy amber ears and stiff, swishy tail. Jongdae's always frowning and if he isn't, he's smirking like the little feline demon he is, sharp eyes and sharper claws. Still, a part of Baekhyun knows that the stray hybrid has taken particular interest in him. Baekhyun doesn't know much about Jongdae aside from the fact that he works as a cashier in a quaint convenience store run by a sweet old lady and shares an apartment with three other hybrids. He also spends a large portion of his free time between Baekhyun's shelter and the one run by Doctor Zhang, a close friend of Baekhyun's, in the next city. Sometimes he envies Yixing's ability to instantly bond with hybrids. With Baekhyun, it takes a fair amount of coaxing and pleading before he can examine them and give them their necessary shots or offer up a place to rest for the night. Maybe it's Yixing's face or his sweet, calming aura or both. Whatever it is, Jongdae seems to like it… a lot. “Speaking of, I spoke to Yixing this weekend.” He gets Minseok’s attention with that, the office administrator turning to face him with an arched brow, lips permanently secured to the coffee mug in his hands. “He told me Jongdae has been going to his shelter every day for the past week.”

“Aw, are you jealous, Doctor Byun?” Minseok coos.

“I'm not.” Baekhyun snaps defiantly. Jongdae is a stray. He can go to whichever shelter he pleases. “I'm concerned because Jongdae's there during his working hours.”

“So Jongdae isn't working anymore?” Minseok questions slowly. He puts down his mug as the situation dawns on him.

“I don't know. You know how he is. He refuses to let anyone in. It took me a whole month to learn his name. A month! Yixing thought I might know but I was just as clueless.” Baekhyun shakes his head with a sigh.

“So why didn't he come to us? Yixing is a whole ing city away. If something is wrong, we're responsible for Jongdae.” Minseok grits. Baekhyun knows the man means well, that he's worried because just like the older, he too cares too deeply for these hybrids. Most of them are still discriminated against and while the lobbying for hybrid acceptance and protection laws have been amped up, the mindset of the general public remains the same. It's the whole reason why he's here today, running a shelter for hybrids who can't afford healthcare or a place to stay or even a simple meal.

When Jongdae had first came into the shelter, he'd walked straight past Minseok and into the medical room where Baekhyun had been writing up his order for vaccines and other medications. To say he was surprised would be the understatement of the century. Jongdae had been nursing a pretty nasty bruise on his left cheek just below his rather prominent and unnaturally high cheekbone. There was a gash on the kitty curl of his lip, dry blood caked on his pale skin. He refused to talk, just perched himself onto the examining table, amber tail swishing in irritation and ears stiff and pointed as he glared at Baekhyun. They had somehow developed a strange relationship after that. Jongdae didn't talk much but when he did, Baekhyun always found himself hanging on to every word, memorising the movement of his lips as he formed each syllable.

“I don't know but I'm heading up to Yixing's shelter today. Jongdae apparently stayed over the weekend. I'm going to try to get him to come with me. Think you can hold down the fort on your own?” The doctor questions.

“I have a baby. I can do anything.” Minseok deadpans, prompting Baekhyun to huff out a disbelieving laugh, easing the tension and worry a little.

“Point taken. Minah must be so proud. Anyways, Seulgi will be coming in around nine today and Joy has the day off. If things go well, I should be back by lunch time.”

“If.” Minseok states skeptically. Baekhyun grabs Jongdae's medical file from his cabinet and puts it into his messenger bag along with the little Iron Man figuring on his desk that Jongdae always grabs to keep his fingers busy whenever he visits.

“Wish me luck.” He grins before heading out. It takes him almost an hour to get to Yixing's place. This shelter is much larger and elegant. The floors are shiny and white, the rooms are bigger and fully air-conditioned and everything screams state-of-the-art. Baekhyun had long stomped out the flame of jealousy burning in his gut. He was happy that his friend's place had been chosen by the government for a full remodel in the Helping Hybrid initiative but Baekhyun's clinic had been in a much poorer state and with it being that deep in Seoul, there were a larger number of hybrids in need of assistance. He always hated having to turn them away and refer them to Yixing. He ignores the niggling thought that maybe he and his place just aren't good enough for Jongdae.

“Baekhyun hyung!” Sehun greets with a wide smile when the automatic doors slide open, allowing Baekhyun to step into the spacious lobby.

“Sehunnie!” Baekhyun yelps, troubles momentarily forgotten at the sight of the pretty cat hybrid with raven coloured ears and a matching tail. Sehun steps from behind the receptionist desk and all but melts into Baekhyun's smaller frame, back curling but his body moulding against Baekhyun's all the same. It's amazing how lanky, tall Sehun can fit himself so perfectly in Baekhyun's arms and he squeezes the hybrid, making sure to scratch his ear and head fondly. Sehun purrs and scent marks him before stepping away, eyes glazed and cheeks tinted pink.

“Are you here for Jongdae? He just had breakfast. I think he's with Yixingie now. Come.” Sehun takes his hand and leads him to the back where there are several doors. Yixing's office door is ajar but Sehun still knocks before entering, pulling Baekhyun inside with him. Again, Baekhyun tries not to feel inadequate when he's surrounded by such high quality medical equipment, down to the examination bed that's sufficiently padded and doesn't squeak or shake when in use. Jongdae's seated on it along with Yixing, the hybrid's head resting on the Doctor's shoulder as he plays with Yixing's fingers, his tail curling around the man's waist. It's such an intimate sight and if Baekhyun didn't know better, he would have assumed as such but he does, and he knows that Yixing would never raise his voice to Sehun, far less for find another lover.

“Hi Xing.” Baekhyun greets with a strained smile. Jongdae keeps his eyes trained on his hands still intertwined with Yixing's on the hybrid's lap. “Hello Jongdae.” He then greets in a softer voice.

“You're early, Baekhyunnie.” Yixing grants him a dimpled smile. “Don't expect Grumpy Pants here to say anything. He hasn't uttered a word all week.”

“Aside from when he asked me to stay over the weekend.” Sehun adds softly. He goes over to Jongdae and nudges his side with a gentle flick of his tail. At that, Jongdae drops Yixing's hand and sits up, stretching, all feline curves and lean muscle. His eyes finally lift, meeting Baekhyun's hopeful gaze and he scoffs.

“We’ll give you two some time.” Yixing smiles sadly. He pats Jongdae's leg and hops off the table, securing a palm on the small of Sehun's back and guiding him out of the office. Once the door shuts, Baekhyun lets out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding.

“How are you?” He asks hesitantly. Jongdae is still staring at him, eyes blank and face void of expression. “Jongdae,” he tries again, “I was worried when Yixing called me. Why haven't you gone to work? Did something happen? Why didn't you come to me?” He's unable to keep the emotion from his voice at that question. Jongdae notices it, his ears flickering just the tiniest bit that Baekhyun would have missed it had he not been so intuned with the hybrid.

The silence stretches on between them. Baekhyun's gaze drops to the shiny white floor beneath his shoes and he suddenly wishes he was back at his own shelter, old wooden floorboards and all. He eventually reaches into his bag and pulls out the Iron Man figurine. Jongdae takes one look at the toy offered and sneers, lips curling and sharp teeth slipping out over the flesh, glinting menacingly. When Baekhyun tries to take a step closer, the hybrid hisses, back curling threateningly and tail going stiff behind him.

Worthless.

Baekhyun frowns and exits the office, walking straight past Sehun and Yixing and into the meal hall. A whole ing hall just for meals. Baekhyun's patients have to sit wherever they can find a seat and on bad days, the floor. He sees Sehun about to rush after him but Yixing holds him back and for that, he's grateful. He needs to calm down first or he might just snap at someone.

It takes him some time but he's finally collected his bearings when a steaming hot cup of tea is placed on the table in front of him. Yixing takes a seat on the opposite end and gives Baekhyun a tiny smile. “I spoke to him just now.” He says sweetly. Baekhyun resents him. “He says he'll go back with you.”

“I'm pretty sure he would prefer to stay here.” Baekhyun bites back. “He probably hates my clinic and me. I don't even know why I ing bother with him.”

Yixing takes a deep breath, trying to keep a frown off his face. “Some are always more difficult than others.” He speaks sagely, as composed as ever. He's everything Baekhyun isn't. “But it's our duty to do everything we can for all of them. Jongdae likes you, Baekhyun. A lot, actually. Every time he comes here, he stares at the picture of us on my desk. It's almost disturbing. I think he's just very afraid.”

“Afraid? Of what, Xing?” Baekhyun scoffs. For the life of him, he cannot imagine Jongdae staring at a picture of him unless it's with murderous intent.

“Well,” Yixing begins, his lips, “I did some digging on his background. He was a housecat before he came to you. Apparently his owners mistreated him a lot. I'm sure you would have seen…” Yixing trails off, lips curling downwards. Yes, Baekhyun clearly remembers Jongdae's bruised cheek and busted lip. He remembers the other scars too, ones that will never fade even with time. Those little bumps in his skin, of flesh cut so deeply that it cannot heal over without welting. He nods, prompting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter