Beginnings

Warm Winters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chaeyoung

 

It was the first time I decided to join dad’s business trip. I was always adamant on going, but I’m so glad I did that one time. Dad’s work was at Japan, Tokyo. But we stayed at a family friend’s house at Kobe.

 

Normal

 

14years ago.. December, Winter Season.

 

“Chae, before we go through this door, I want to remind you to behave, okay?” Son Dae-hyuk, Chaeyoung’s father was kneeling in front of her daughter to have a eye to eye talk with her. They were outside the gate of the house of his long time friend.

 

“I managed to ‘behave’ through all those meetings you went through at Tokyo dad, I’ll be good.” Chaeyoung only stumps her feet at his dad’s lack of trust on her attitude and behaviour that she had to be given a reminder.

 

“Yes you did my strawberry princess,” He ruffles her short dark locks. “Okay, lets get inside.” He grabbed her hand and pushed a small button on the buzzer of the house. After a short static sound, a man’s voice rings through.

 

「 どなた ? 」

 

(“who is it?”) The man spoke japanese and Chaeyoung couldn’t quite understand.

 

「 あきら!私は デヒョク ! あなたは私の訪問を忘れませんでしたね ? 」

 

(“Akira, It’s me! Daehyuk! You didn’t forgot about my visit now did you?”) Her dad started speaking in japanese too, and Chaeyoung already felt left out not knowing the language they spoke.

 

The two continued talking and laughing together at some joke probably, until not long after a middle-aged man, who Chaeyoung assumed is ‘Akira’ from the other side of the buzzer, came to greet them and open the gate for them.

 

「 久しぶり、友達 」

 

(“It’s been so long, my friend”) Daehyuk said. They hugged and patted each other’s back. Then they were ushered inside the house, while inside still at the front door taking off their shoes, Daehyuk introduced his daughter.

 

“This is Chaeyoung by the way, my daughter” Her dad was speaking in korean again and Chaeyoung understood and bowed right away at the man, Akira.

 

“Ahh, they grew up so fast don’t they?” Akira too started to speak korean. “I’m Akira, It’s nice to meet you Chaeyoung..” He said to her, bending his knees to slightly match Chaeyoung’s eye level.

 

Chaeyoung felt welcomed when he spoke her language and smiled. “It’s nice to meet you too, Mr. Akira” She bowed again to him, not knowing what to say next.

 

Daehyuk just chuckles as he watch the small interaction. “Where’s Sachiko and Mina? Are they here right now?”

 

“Ah, Mina is still at school but she would probably be home in a few. Sachiko’s preparing dinner in the kitchen..” Akira replied while leading them further inside. The house was old fashioned style, with dark wooden matted floors, translucent paper doors with bamboo frames, really short table furnitures and no chairs.

 

“You can walk around and explore the house if you want Chaeyoung, me and your dad here will just catch up on things.” Akira turn to the little girl. While the said little girl turn to his father.

 

“Can I, dad?” Chaeyoung’s voice was small and just slightly above whisper, but Daehyuk heard and he chuckles at her daughter’s cute antics.

 

“Yes, yes, but be careful okay? We’re not at our home.” He patted her head, and she quickly grins and started walking the opposite way as the two middle-aged Asian men.

 

“Hahah!” Akira laughs. “She resembles you a lot Daehyuk.” The two went inside a room and sat down on the floor.

 

“Superior genes as they said.”

 

“Sake, my friend?”

 

“Yes, thank you.”

 

.

 

Chaeyoung walked aimlessly around the house, inspecting each corridor and room, even with the old fashioned style interior design, there was still a touch of modern in it. She stumble upon what she assumed as the kitchen, something was smelling really good in there.

 

Suddenly, a young woman appeared right at the door and Chaeyoung was startled.

 

“Ah!” She took a step back and covered her loud mouth. The lady just smiled at her.

 

「 デヒョクの娘 ? 」

 

(“Daehyuk’s daugther?”)

 

‘Oh no.’ Chaeyoung thought. Of course she spoke japanese. She understood her saying her dad’s name but what did she asked exactly, she had no idea.

 

“Ah. Uhm. Wa-watashi.. ni-nihongo wakari..masen?” Chaeyoung tried to scrape some japanese words she learned in the past 5days of being in Japan.

 

The lady must’ve found what she said amusing as she laughs at Chaeyoung’s expense. “Oh you are so cute..~” she gush in Korean, and Chaeyoung thank the gods, this household knows her language.

 

“M-my name is Son Chaeyoung, what may I call you?” Chaeyoung introduced herself with a bow.

 

“I’m Myoui Sachiko~ it’s nice to meet you Chaeyoung~” The lady lightly pinch her cheeks while smiling at her.

 

“Would you like some sweets, Chaeyoung?” Chaeyoung’s head perks up at the mentioned of sweet, immediately forgetting the embarrassment she was feeling just a second ago.

 

“Yes, please..~!”

 

.

 

After acquiring some sweets from Ms. Sachiko, Chaeyoung continue to explore the huge house and it’s rooms. She mapped out in her head where the kitchen is, the front door, where the small library was located, and the washrooms. She decided not to go upstairs as that might be intruding too much on the host’s house. She wasreminded to behave. So she went outside instead, even with the cold weather of the winter season. She was wearing the right clothes for it anyways she reasoned out to herself.

 

After putting on her shoes again, she reaches for the door.

 

But someone beat her to it. Chaeyoung came face to face with the daughter of Akira and Sachiko Myoui. Who just came back from school. Chaeyoung thought she was pretty.

 

Her hair was straight and long unlike Chaeyoung’s short and slightly wavy hair. She was about the same height as her though, maybe even shorter, Chaeyoung would like to think.

 

「 あなたはここで何をしているの?」

 

(“What are you doing here?”)

 

The girl asked, her toned of voice seemed hostile but it was ignored as Chaeyoung was mentally confused and trying to come up with some sort of reply. She was also praying that maybe this girl also knows Korean.

 

“W-watashi..” She tries. “uhm.. watashiwa.. namae.. Son Chaeyoung desu.”

 

「 韓国語 ? 」

 

(“Korean?”)

 

Chaeyoung just looks so lost at what the girl was saying to her. And the girl starts to pity and soften up to her.

 

“Nae ilreum.. eun? Ah.. my name is.. Myoui Mina..” Mina managed to introduce herself in korean for the girl to understand. She knows a little bit of Korean from going with her father and mother at some business travels in Korea a little while back. She was actually surprise at herself to have remembered how to introduce herself, but nonetheless felt proud to be able to.

 

“Myoui Mina..” Chaeyoung tested out the name, and Mina nods in agreement. She was saying it right. Good.

 

“Son.. jaeyoung?” She shook her head and Mina tilted hers.

 

“Chae.. Chaeyoung.” Chaeyoung slowed down on the pronunciation of her name.

 

“Aahh. Chaeyoung.” Mina nods again.

 

“You can call me Chaengie, if you want.” Chaeyoung suggested, but Mina just looks at her. This was going was to be hard.

 

“Chaengie..” she pointed on herself. “Chaeyoung” she cross her arms and shakes her head. “Chaengie” she gave a thumbs up.

 

「 あなたは私にあなたを ’チャンギ’ と呼んでほしい ? 」

 

(“You want me to call you ‘Chaengie’?”)

 

Mina asked. Chaeyoung heard her nickname in the sentence and just nods and grins at Mina, agreeing with whatever she said. Mina smiles understanding.

 

“Mi.Na.Ri.” Mina points to herself like what Chaeyoung did earlier. “Mina.” She gave a X sign with her arms, the same way Chaeyoung did. “M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter