Thursday

I Volunteer!

Thursday morning is beautiful, automatically putting Jae in a good mood, which just gets better when he sees Brian walking to the music room.

"Bri!"

"Sup, JJ?" he greets,

"Morning," he says and hands Brian melon milk and a bun, which Brian accepts, slightly confused,

"Do you need to tie your shoe or something?" and Jae laughs,

"No, those are yours."

"Oh, really?" and Jae nods and Brian shows him a sweet smile.

"Thank you, I actually didn't eat breakfast this morning,"

"Why not?"

"Decided to sleep in rather than eat. Good choice apparently, thanks!" 

Jae doesn't know what they are sometimes. He wants to think they have moments of mutual flirting, the way they care for each other isn't necessarily limited to platonic. But, then he tells himself to get a grip. That if Brian liked him, they probably would've been a thing already. It's an internal push and pull, whenever they get each other food like this, when Brian shows up at his doorstep to make sure he eats dinner.

"Today's volunteer work?" 

"You seem really happy," Brian comments as he walks into the music room, telling Jae he can follow him inside,

"It's good. I like that," he says, just in passing before he continues,

"We'll help out at the daycare today," 

"What daycare?" and Brian looks at Jae,

"Are you sure you've been at this school the past 3 years?"

"Woah, our school has a daycare?" 

"Yes!" he says, laughing as Mr. Im enters,

"Jaehyung!" he says,

"Morning, Sir,"

"Are you here to join the program?"

"With 2 months 'till grad?" Brian asks, and Mr. Im chuckles,

"Well, depending on the status of your hours, he could join next year," he jokes and Jae laughs.

"Thank you for the kind offer, Sir, but we're graduating," Brian replies, putting out his chest proudly.

"Oh Sungjin," Jae says when the boy enters and Jae catches a glimpse of Wonpil walking away as the door's closing. Suddenly realizing he never saw Wonpil and Sungjin in the morning, and looks like it because they spend it together, almost like him and Brian.

"Morning," he greets and Brian jogs over to him, swinging an arm around him,

"Get off."

"Aw c'mon, you love us," 

"That accusation is almost offensive," 

"Nakjoon would say otherwise!" Jae says and Sungjin's eyes widen just slightly,

"He told you guys?" 

"No, we forced it out of him. Threatened him with a carrot, got into a fight and everything, look at my battle scar," Brian says, pointing at the small cut on his cheek and Jae starts laughing hard.

"Idiot," he comments, but with a fond smile as he watches Brian and Sungjin bicker.

"Oh, I gotta get to Calc," Jae says once he sees the time and he's almost at the door before Brian says,

"I'll walk you!" and jogs to catch up, telling Mr. Im he'll be quick. 

"I wanna eat this but Sir doesn't like food in the class cause it gets in weird places," Brian excuses, but he just likes walking with Jae.

"So, the daycare?"

"Yeah. Are you okay with kids? There's probably other options if you don't like them,"

"No, they're cool. Why does our school have a daycare?"

"Some of our students and teachers are single parents, so the school set it up."

"How'd you know about it?"

"When I was walking to Entrance B I got hit with a ball," and Jae snorts,

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. Kid has got quite the arm," Brian comments, as he takes a sip of the milk,

"Do you like kids?"

"They're cool, I guess... Some of them are mean though, man. Ruthless," he replies, staring down the hall as if he's having a traumatic flashback and Jae snickers,

"Had an unfortunate experience with kids?" 

"Just one. They don't have a filter, and you can't get mad at them 'cause they're kids, how would I look, an 18-year old guy getting mad at a kid?" 

"Okay, I think this is still a fresh wound 'cause you're getting pretty worked up,"

"No no, I'm totally over it," Brian says before jokingly stomping in fake anger that makes Jae laugh.

They get to his class, and Brian's leaning on Jae's desk as they talk just a bit longer.

"So, meet me at my locker and we'll go to the daycare together 'cause I'm positive you don't know where it is."

"Okay." Jae looks at the clock,

"Bri, go back to class, it's on the first floor."

"You underestimate my speed," he says and they say quick bye, but just as Brian's about to start running back to class, the anthem starts and Jae's chemistry teacher walks in, closing the door behind her.

"Great." he whispers and Jae suppresses laughter. 

When the anthem ends, Brian's the only one that's still standing and the teacher looks at him,

"I'm assuming you're not a new student, joining my class midsemester," she says and Brian awkwardly laughs,

"No, sorry Miss," and Jae smiles as Brian just bows and exits. Brian winks at him before the door closes, but the wink is accompanied by lame finger guns that make Jae laugh.

 

"Hi Miss!" Brian greets, Jae in tow as they enter the huge room that could be a building on its own,

"Hello boys, how can I help you?"

"We saw that you could use some help, and we could use some hours," Brian answers and Jae smacks him arm at his blunt response, but the caretaker in charge laughs,

"Well, can't say it's easy handling these kids all on my own,"

"It's just you, Miss?"

"Call me Ms. Kwon," she says and continues,

"Usually we have other people, but we're short a few hands today,"

"Lucky us," Jae says and she smiles,

"And lucky me. I'll give you guys a quick rundown of what goes down here."

Ms. Kwon explains that since it's the afternoon kids that are left and won't be picked up till evening, she makes sure the boys are okay with the schedule, to which they say it's fine. Their task is to, generally, play with the kids, prepare snacks and have a nap time and that was pretty much what was left of the day.

Jae always knew Brian was caring, he experiences it first hand. But to see Brian crouching down to play with little kids warms his heart in a different way. Brian always knew Jae was kind, he's one of the people that receive his kindness regularly. But seeing Jae being patient and smiling at the kids makes his heart flutter. 

"No traumatic experiences so far?" Jae asks as they start preparing snacks, Brian cutting apples while Jae's opening packets of biscuits.

"Nope. The kid who hit me with the ball isn't here," Brian replies with a smile, as Jae laughs,

"You?"

"Nah," Jae answers and they finish up the snacks as Ms. Kwon rounds the children for snack time. 

Jae and Brian sit with the kids, not eating, but just talking to them because it appears they have taken a liking to them.

"So, did it hurt?" a young boy asks, referring to the piercing on Brian's ear,

"Just a bit for a second," he assures,

"It felt like a pinch,"

"Did you cry?" 

"Nope!" Brian says, proudly and that makes Jae smile. The way he talks to the kids is really endearing. 

"It's cool... I want one,"

"Maybe when you're older, buddy," he says, and then looks at Jae,

"He also has piercings,"

"Really?" a small girl beside Jae who's munching on grapes asks and Jae nods, 

"Did you cry?"

"Nope. Like Bri said, just a pinch, right?"

"Bri," a young girl echoes,

"Bri Bri!" she says, and Jae wants to claim that nickname because not even the guys call him that. It was a nickname exclusive to each other, just like JJ, but like Brian said, you can't argue with a kid.

"Just Bri," Brian says, looking at her with a smile as Jae eyes him. 

"Okay," she says, and continues eating her grapes.

"What do you guys like to do?"

"Paint!"

"Draw!"

"Play outside!" 

"Outside, huh?" Brian looks out the window and it's still beautiful. He gets up and goes to Ms. Kwon, gaining permission to have the kids play outside in the playpen after they finish eating. 

Jae and Brian are spinning the ropes for the kids as they take turns running in, jumping a few times and running out without getting caught in the rope. They play hopscotch, Brian pushing Jae lightly to make him lose his balance and Jae threatening to throw the stone at his ankle. The kids suggest a game of 'What Time is it Mr. Wolf?' and Brian gets chosen as the wolf. Jae watches from the side as he counts and at the right time, runs after the kids who start screaming with huge smiles on their faces. Brian gently grabs one and lifts him, saying "got you!" while the kid starts laughing, letting out a dramatic "no!~". They play with bubbles, play soccer with Jae and Brian as goalies, they do things that remind Jae and Brian of when times were simpler. Jae enjoys seeing Brian so playful and Brian can't stop staring at Jae who's constantly smiling. 

When they get back inside, the kids are rather tired out from playing and Ms. Kwon says that's perfect because it's nap time. 

"Are you guys tired?" Brian asks as they're setting up the little beds, and receives a collective

"No!" 

"What, Hyejin-ah, I saw you yawn 2 minutes ago!" Jae says and she laughs,

"I wanna play with you guys more!" and Jae and Brian look at each other as the kids start saying words of agreement.

"We'll be here when you guys wake up, and we'll do something after you guys nap!"

"Promise?" a little boy, Chansung, asks, tugging Brian's pants and Brian smiles before he crouches down, and extends his pinky,

"Promise. Now let's get you kiddos to bed," and they all run to their respective beds. 

"Ms. Kwon!" a kid yells out,

"The music, please," she says and Ms. Kwon claps,

"Oh right! Sorry kids, no music today. The CD player isn't working," and there's groans of disappointment.

"I can't sleep without music," one child says and Ms. Kwon says she understands but she doesn't have any music to play. There's no computer in the classroom, because it's for the little kids, and she says her phone doesn't have any music on it.

"Miss," Brian says,

"I'll be right back," and he runs the halls before returning, out of breath, with a guitar. 

"You could've just used your phone," Jae comments and Brian gives him a look,

"C'mon, live music? Gotta get these kids' standards up early," and Jae laughs.

"Jae," he hears, and it's Hyejin, so he goes to her, crouching down,

"What's up, are you okay?"

"Can you stay here?" 

"You like me, huh?" he says with a smile and when she nods he sits down, leaning on the cupboard,

"Okay, I'll stay here till you fall asleep then."

"I can't sleep, it's too quiet,"

"Brian's gonna fix that," he says, 

"Listen." and Brian's finishes up tuning up. Despite mainly playing bass, Brian's able to play other instruments, and actually taught Jae some guitar in the beginning. He starts playing a tune on the acoustic, soft and in a major key. Jae leans his head back and closes his eyes to listen, but ends up falling asleep, probably tired from that damned lab he finished last night.

When Brian finishes playing, Ms. Kwon applauds him quietly as everyone else is asleep. He sees Jae resting peacefully and smiles before placing a blanket over him. 

"That was beautiful!" Ms. Kwon says and he thanks her before asking if there's anything there needs to be done while the kids - and Jae - nap. 

"So, you boys are getting some last minute hours in?"

"Yeah, we're almost at the 40 though!"

"Aren't they due tomorrow?" 

"Yup, but we're close," he says with light laughter,

"How far are you guys?"

"Jae's only 5 away,"

"Hm," Ms. Kwon looks at the clock,

"Looks like you guys were here for 5 hours, right?" and Brian does the math, and it's close to 5 but not yet,

"Approaching 6," she adds and Brian denies it, saying it's okay but Ms. Kwon insists. 

"You and Jaehyung are close?"

"Yeah, best friends," he answers,

"It's nice seeing you boys with the kids. They seem to like you a lot,"

"They're great," 

"Seemed to have tired out Jaehyung though,"

"Yeah, we've been busy this week," he responds with a smile.

"We rarely get boys your age in here to volunteer, so it's really appreciated."

"Thank you for accepting us so readily. Honestly, Jae and I have had great luck this week,"

"You boys are so sweet and helpful so I'm not surprised."

"It was mostly connections though. That being said, Ms. Kwon, it's totally fine and just as appreciated if you give us the appropriate hours,"

"Because of you boys, I was able to get some package marking done. And Friday's weather is looking beautiful,"

"We could volunteer outdoors," he jokes, 

"Consider it fair trade for the help you boys gave me today. I'm sure your tired partner would appreciate it," and Brian smiles as he turns to look at Jae. He watches for a bit, appreciating how cute Jae looks, mouth just slightly open and his glasses right on the tip of his nose, head tilted just slightly as he sleeps. 

"Should we wash the dishes?" Brian prompts and him and Ms. Kwon start the dishes from the snacks.

Jae wakes up almost half an hour later and is immediately shocked and slightly disappointed he fell asleep. 

"Morning, sleepy head," Brian greets in a whisper as he's cleaning up the toys they used outside, putting them back where the belong. Jae slides off the blanket, wonders where it came from, before he makes his way to his side and helps organize the chalk,

"Can't believe I fell asleep," he says,

"You must've been tired,"

"I wasn't, or I didn't think I was. I just closed my eyes to listen and next thing I know, I wake up at the sun's about to start setting." Brian laughs quietly.

"It's nice." Brian comments after they're done cleaning.

"What?"

"Being able to gain experiences like this. Granted, it is for hours and it's kind of selfish, but I'm glad I'm doing this, you know?" and he looks at Jae,

"Glad I'm doing it with you." and Jae tries not to blush, so he looks away.

"Yeah, me too." he says, sincerely. 

"Also, don't you feel super nice when a kid likes you?" Brian says and Jae laughs,

"Yeah, actually,"

"Right? It's like I'm a special chosen one," and Jae wants to tell him he is so so special.

"What should we do when the kids wake up?"

"Read to them," 

"What?"

"There's picture books here. You know how we used to have library time in middle school?" 

"So I'm the librarian?"

"You have the experience and the glasses to fit," and Jae lightly shoves him. 

"Not a bad idea though,"

"Then we can draw or something. We'll figure it out," 

"You at drawing,"

"Ouch, well, your art isn't gallery worthy either,"

"I could build a urinal and it could get into a gallery," and Brian laughs.

"How was classes today?"

"Good. Was Sir mad at you for being late?" 

Brian recalls the teasing he got for "walking his boyfriend to class and maybe a little extra since you were late" from Mr. Im.

"Nah, not mad," he says, shaking his head,

"Your teacher didn't look amused though,"

"Yeah, probably not the best class to stay in when you're late," 

"Noted. I'll walk you to second period next time then," and Jae wants to ask why. Are these annoying feelings mutual, because it would be great to know. But it's the issue of taking that first step that Jae can't overcome.

"You don't have to walk me,"

"I know. Can't I spend some time with my best friend?" Brian responds,

"We've been spending a lot of time together this week,"

"Yeah, that's true. I feel like we've never spent this much time together. I mean, everyday? For hours?"

"Definitely not 35, but the people we've met are generous,"

"Maybe we won't have to volunteer tomorrow,"

"Maybe me, but your hours!" and Brian pauses before he goes,

"Oh right," remembering his deficit,

"If I reach my 40 tonight I'll still go with you tomorrow,"

"Nah if you reach your 40 tonight, just chill tomorrow,"

"What, can't I spend some time with my best friend?" Jae echoes and Brian laughs, not being able to argue. 

As the kids start waking up, they huddle around the boys, some of them asking for hugs and Brian has a boy hanging on to his arm when he looks over at Jae whose glasses are on a girl's face as she smiles up at him.

"Do you guys wanna hear a story?" 

"Storytime? Again?" and Jae looks to Ms. Kwon,

"I already read them a story," she informs,

"But, please, read them another one!"

"Oh, it's okay, if they already heard one-" Jae starts but the kids cut him off, asking him to read to them.

Brian joins the kids, sitting on the carpet as Jae grabs a chair so everyone can see the storybook, including his best friend who obviously doesn't blend in with the kids. But that pure smile of his does, and Jae wonders if it's directed at him or at the funny, kid story. Just like in the library on Monday, Brian likes seeing Jae like this. He also likes the little things, like Jae changing his voice for different characters, making dramatic pauses as he turns the pages, including the kids in the story. Jae reads 3 books before Ms. Kwon says that it's time to start cleaning up.

"Aw, are you guys going now?"

"We'll wait until whoever is last leaves!" Brian says as they start cleaning up the blankets,

"Really?"

"I kept my promise about being here when you woke up, didn't I?" and the boy smiles.

"Mhm!"

"We didn't get to draw,"

"That's okay, next time," Jae says, patting Hyejin's head and her face lights up,

"Next time?" and Jae looks to Brian who's talking to some of the other kids, laughing with a girl who's tangled in her blanket,

"Yeah, I'm sure Brian and I will come back. So, let's focus on stacking these pillows, shall we?"

"Okay!" and Jae and a couple kids collect pillows while Brian and the other half take care of the blankets.

The boys do stay till the end, playing some cards with the last boy whose parents apologize for being late, and Ms. Kwon says it's no problem. After the kids are gone and the room is clean, Brian approaches Ms. Kwon with their forms,

"Thank you for helping out today," she says as she takes them,

"Thank you, once again, for accepting us,"

"Thank you, Miss!" Jae says before he leans closer to Brian,

"Once again?  he whispers, and Brian just waves it off,

"With this, you guys should be in the clear! Take Friday off from volunteering,"

"Oh, how'd you know?"

"Talked Brian a bit," and Jae looks to Brian,

"Snooze, you lose," he says and Jae pouts.

"Whatever," and Brian laughs. 

Ms. Kwon smiles as she hands the forms back,

"Hope you boys come back soon before you graduate!"

"Definitely will," 

"Thank you, Miss!"

They collect their things, stopping by their lockers and leaving the school. On the walk to Brian's car, Jae says,

"Wait, so I'm done?"

"Yeah," and Jae starts jumping,

"Yes! Yes!" and Brian smiles,

"I'll still volunteer with you tomorrow."

"I said it was okay."

"It probably looks bad if I have the bare minimum of hours," and Brian laughs,

"Fair. We'll do something fun and light tomorrow then,"

"Okay! Pick a place to eat,"

"Your house," and Jae's steps almost falter,

"We'll get some drive-thru and chill at your house."

"Did you just invite yourself over?"

"Of course. Haven't been over in a while,"

"You were at my house last night!"

"Oh yeah... Let me rephrase, I haven't been inside in a while," and Jae says,

"Fine, but you're leaving after dinner, I have homework,"

"Nerd."

"I prefer the term scholar,"

"Scholar who completes hours the day before they're due,"

"At least I completed mine," Jae says with his tongue stuck out,

"Jokes on you 'cause we're still volunteering tomorrow,"

"Dang, it's already Friday tomorrow," he replies as they're getting in the car.

"I know right? Then it's prom, and then grad... Dang, time is weird." and Jae nods as he connects the aux cord.

Time is slippery, as odd as that sounds, Jae thinks, and at times he feels he's losing his grasp, not just on time but specifically on the time he has with Brian. 

 

They eat dinner in Jae's room after Brian greets his parents who are like his own. Jae kicks him out after almost 2 hours because he has homework, and Brian goes home after asking for another ice cream sandwich. 

Jae's getting ready for bed, about to shower when his phone goes off,

Bri Bri: Attachment: 1 Image

JJ: DUDE

JJ: CREEP WHY DID YOU TAKE THAT

Bri Bri: you take photos of me ALL THE TIME 

Bri Bri: "creep" damn bro... that one kinda hurt LOL

JJ: weirdo

JJ: jokes on you i still look cute ;) 

and Brian looks at his screen. The photo is from earlier today, the sunlight coming from the windows making Jae's features appear even softer as he sleeps. 

Bri Bri: i didn't say you didn't 

and Jae stares at his screen, not knowing how to respond, but Brian follows it up with

Bri Bri: but i will now

Bri Bri: you aint cute LOL 

JJ: hate you

JJ: don't post that

Bri Bri: no promises! :) 

and Jae stays up talking to Brian, about trivial things. He goes to bed relieved he has his hours done, and that tomorrow's already Friday. But a part of him wants the week to continue forever. To have adventures with Brian everyday where they gain experience together, to have dinner together, to just be with him. Of course, since they're best friends, they'll probably spend enough time together after tomorrow, so Jae wonders why tomorrow feels like a last chance. For what, he's unsure, but it feels like a deadline and not just for his hours.


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi Hello, my name is Zen! :] this update is late cause I got my keyboard today and I've been playing it ever since, so sorry. But it's still Thursday, so it counts ehuehe. thank you for reading! please comment any thoughts, I'd love to know.

I'm always down to make MyDay pals, so feel free to reach out to me on:

Twitter | Instagram | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | kakao: zenaya