Douleur

Mémoire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
douleur [French] meaning "pain or grief"

 

Note: I suggest you listen to My Memory and From The Beginning (Winter Sonata OST) instrumental for added feeling

 

Sandara was slowly walking in that very familiar path. It has been what--- 7 years? Yes, that long. But it still feels like everything just happened yesterday. She’s not sure if she was doing herself the right thing. But her feet has the mind of its own. It keeps walking and walking and walking that grassy walkway. It still remembers where to turn, where to step, where to go, even if she hasn’t come back for a very long time.

 

Her grip to her bag strap tighten as she come nearer that special place. She released heavy breath every step she make. As she look around, she noticed that nothing has changed much. The green grass under her feet were maintained well. The small swing under the big acacia tree was still there. The wooden bench and table still stands a few feet away. She looked at the small rusty looking house still surrounded with flowering plants.

 

“Ah, the old lady did well in taking care of all of this,” she mumbled to herself.

 

She saw 2 young girls playing bubbles and running nearby. A couple of customers are sipping their coffee on the outdoor tables. She looked at the sky. It’s almost sunset.

 

“The old lady’s coffee really taste that great,” she thought.

 

Her steps become slower as she comes nearer. Her heart beats louder. Seven long years did not change her feelings whenever she come to that place. Seven long years did not erase even one of the memories.

 

Every step, she remembers everything. The laughter. The joyous banter of the old customers. The sound of the kids running and playing. The squeaking of the old swing.  The branches of the tree swaying with the soft wind.  The smell of roasting coffee beans and baked cookies. They did not change. The people of La Belle still go on with life. They remain the same way like in her memories.

 

She released a deep sigh as her feet continue to bring her to that place. Her other hand went to her chest to calm her breathing. She is trying to remember what made her come back there. After that day seven years ago, she never set her foot back there. She left as if she never knew the place. She left without looking back and bringing anything… but memories.

 

As she made her last turn, her feet suddenly stopped. She looked at one corner of the small garden restaurant.

 

It’s still there.

 

A few feet away from where she stands. Behind those 2 tables where an old man on one and a group of young girls on another are sitting.

 

It’s still there. Beyond the new people of La Belle, the piano that holds the most of her memories of that place, still stands there… collecting more memories.

 

The old man stood up and went behind it.

 

“Joon,” he called out. A young thin man wearing an apron came out from the inside. “Still got no one to play this small friend?”

 

“I’m afraid still none, Mr. Kim” the young man said as he wipe his hand on his apron. “The repairman who came yesterday said its strings are broken and the materials are way obsolete and available anymore in the market.”

 

“Broken? This little friend has been broken ever since it was brought here,” the old man said with a sigh. “It just needs someone who’ll understand that a broken thing no matter how broke, still has to work.”

 

“There you go again, Old Kim” an old lady who just came said. She went to the table where the old man was seating before. “You and your old sad lines.”

 

“How do you know I’m here, darling?” he asked as he went back to seat on his chair. He tapped the shoulder of the young man who went back inside after.

 

“I know you would be here,” the old lady said as she gather the old man’s jacket from the back of the other chair. “It’s the time of the year again. That piano is old and broken. No one ever played it since the beginning. Stop waiting for it to work.”

 

“But I heard it played before, sweetheart” the old man insisted. “I saw them playing it. I know they will be back to play it again.”

 

“Ok, that story again? Aren’t you tired with that? It’s been years.”

 

“It was the most painful melody that I have heard,” the old man said as he sadly looked at the piano.

 

“Oh yes, oh yes, you heard it,” the old lady just nodded and stood up. “Come on up, it’s getting late. We need to catch the bus.”

 

“It was painful… but the most beautiful melody, darling. I still remember it.”

 

The old lady took the hand of the old man and gently dragged him to walk. As they pass by her, the old man look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter