One

Case 49
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: This isn't proofread so excuse any mistakes there is ^^;

-

Chaewon wasn't in the mood to be interrupted.

To be completely honest, there was never a good time for an interruption, especially on her day off where she thought she could lounge around on the couch for as long as she wanted until the early afternoon. The investigation division she worked for was never lacking cases to investigate or pursue depending on the skills of those assigned to handle said case. Most of the cases she was assigned to involved undergrounds rings or homicides, though there were multiple times she was called to personally assist others during their burglary case.

Chaewon was one of the best on their investigation team; always able to find out information quickly, able to stay calm under pressure, always fast to react, perfect interrogation skills. It was a fact she took the most pride in and at this point, after four years even the often all-nighters combined with stacks of paperwork that piled up seem to have less of an effect on her as time went on.

It wasn't that she minded the obvious lack of sleep or the work, she loved her job and everything that came along with it, but there were a few occasions where she only wanted to lay on her couch in her pajamas with a hot cup of chamomile tea in her hand while she lazily scrolled through the cable channels. After getting woken up at three o'clock in the morning to someone dry heaving in the next room, then having to clean puke off their bathroom floor, there was nothing more she wanted than proper relaxation. However, her captain had other plans. She called Chaewon in for work, telling her it was important and she would explain properly when she got to the station. Captain Kwon didn't give her a chance to talk before hanging up in her face.

Which is why she was now walking through the building with a light blue backpack hanging off her shoulder, her steps becoming more swift as she walked through the first division's double doors. She spotted their two technical analysts playing on their Nintendo switches at the far right corner of the room, their hushes voices could easily be heard over the light noise coming from the tapping of the computer keyboards, bickering about how it wasn't fair to be dropping turtle shells during the last lap.

Two of the younger detectives in training, one of the kids from their forensic team and one of their medical examiners were off at the far left corner of the room. Judging by the stack of board games on the nearby office table, she assumed they were having another game competition and she had a strong feeling the two younger ones declared war after losing the previous week. She swore she worked with some of the most childish people she had ever met in her entire life, yet there was a part of her that wouldn't trade them for the world.

“Kids, please make sure to clean up your board games when you're finished! We found a lot of leftover pieces all over the floor from your last battle!” Chaewon called out to the four childish board game players, her voice tinged with playfulness. The adorable girl with the chubby cheeks looked up from the Jenga tower, a beaming smile showing on her face that could rival the sun – Honda Hitomi, one of Chaewon's favorite kids in the division and one member of their forensic team. She had the most squishy cheeks everyone liked to pinch or poke, though Hitomi didn't seem to mind much.

“Don't worry, Chaewonie! The mess will be completely cleaned up this time!” Hitomi replied, the same beaming smile on her adorable chubby face.

“Since it's you, I'll trust it,” Chaewon said, a small chuckle escaping her lips. She made her way over to the captain's office, plainly ignoring the sudden screams of horror coming from her left followed by the sound of blocks falling all over the table. Clearly someone had knocked over the Jenga tower and she had her suspicions it was Hitomi judging by how it was her turn next along with the fact her teammate was harshly whispering things such as 'I told you not to look away!' and 'Ah Hitoma, seriously' coming from one of the younger girls with a 'Shut up, Yujinnie!' not soon after that.

Being around several people daily for long hours at one time usually builds a different type of relationship between two people whether someone intended for it to happen or not and that is exactly what happened with her. The members she got close to quickly were Hitomi and Chaeyeon. Hitomi often accompanied Chaewon on cases due to being part of the forensic investigating team, so they were almost always together reviewing evidence or comparing notes on the case to match sure their data matched.

Chaeyeon, on the other hand, would only accompany them to the crime scene if it were a homicide in order to determine the pronounced time of death before stepping aside to let the others finish up the job there. When Chaeyeon first was transferred into their division, there was a lot of confusion at first due to the two girls having similar sounding names as well as similar nicknames. Though she had to admit, it was amusing when the Japanese members would get their names mixed up and call them by each other's names.

During their breaks between work, they all slowly began talking about their personal lives with one another. Hitomi mentioned how she moved from her family home in Japan to a decent sized apartment in Boston with the dream to become a forensic specialist after she graduated high school despite her parents wishes for her to stay in Japan and take over the family business. She talked about her siblings, her adorable puppy back at home, her favorite color, her favorite snacks, her habit of switching to Japanese whenever she felt nervous or overwhelmed, her adorable bickering with Yujin, even the foods she couldn't or refused to eat.

Chaeyeon mentioned how she bounced around a lot between Korea and Japan searching for what she wanted to do in life before finally settling down with double majoring in medicine and science to secure a job in the detective field. Thankfully her parents were supportive of her no matter what she chose to do, even going to the point where they held a going away part the day she was scheduled to leave for America. It was embarrassing to say the least, but she was glad to have a supportive family. She also talked about her siblings; having a one year age difference with one of her younger sisters while having a six year age difference with the youngest.

Chaewon was usually a hard one to get to open up, but with Hitomi and Chaeyeon, she felt like she could tell them anything in the world, so she began with the short version of her story at first; middle daughter of a traditional Korean family who, similar to Hitomi, wanted her to take over the family business after graduation rather than chasing her own dream of becoming a detective. It was strange, really. Most parents would be happy if their child decided to branch out, choosing an even bigger dream and destination in life than the one already planned for her, yet that wasn't the case with her.

Her parents were strict and planned out their children's futures for them rather than letting them choose for themselves, using the excuse of wanting the best for them or saying they'll be more successful if they were the ones to plan for the future since to them, their dreams weren't realistic. Their eldest daughter, Joohyun, wanted to become a doctor, instead now she's a secretary at the family company. Their youngest daughter, Haerim, wanted to become a musician ever since she was a child, the only reason she's now able to live out and chase her dream to the fullest is because of Chaewon who took Haerim under her care when her younger sister left home. Their parents didn't seem care much, calling their younger daughter a disgrace to the Kim family like her older sister and whatnot.

Neither of the siblings had any contact with their parents in two years. As harsh as it sounded, they wanted to keep it like that for at least a while longer. They lived a free life; there was no strict rules – except for Haerim's curfew of course – and they were content only hav

Please log in to read the full chapter