Birthday Proposing

Birthday Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi everyone. Happy birthday to our wonderful Kim Yeri. I wrote some joyri fics for her and this one is basically joy wanting to propose to her girl on her bday but maybe she needs to ask permission from Yeri’s parents and just maybe maybe one of Yeri’s mom’s (Joohyun) scares her. Enjoy!

 

Thank you to my sponsors: fabricsoftener, cwright01, AvryGeist171, and royalshipper2122 ^^

 

 

For this year Park Sooyoung is all set and ready to use her long time girlfriend Kang Yerim’s birthday to propose to her. They’ve been together since their college days and share an apartment since graduating. Sooyoung really loves Yerim and knows without a doubt the girl is the one for her and doesn’t want anyone else. There’s a few more days before her birthday and the dark-haired woman is sitting on their bed with ring box in hand looking at the ring she worked so hard to save up for. Yerim is at work right now and Sooyoung has been thinking of the perfect way to propose to her girl for months now that her birthday is soon. She already knows she will have something small and intimate with their close friends and family there to support them as what Yerim will think is just going to be a simple party only when in reality it will be Sooyoung proposing to her too.

 

Before she can get to that Sooyoung knows she wants to ask Yerim’s mothers beforehand for permission to marry their daughter. Which shouldn’t be any problem, right?

 

“Oh, of course it will be.” Sooyoung laughs nervously. The problem won’t be with Yerim’s mother Seulgi who is nice and chill. The woman who welcomed her with opened arms when they first met years ago, no Seulgi won’t be a problem. The one and only problem will be Yerim’s other mom Joohyun. From the very first time Sooyoung has met the woman she looked as if she wanted her dead with such a cold glare that never seemed to go away even as it’s been years now. Joohyun kind of scares her too if Sooyoung were being honest. She remembers the other week at dinner where she thought for sure she wouldn’t have made it out alive.

 

(Flashback)


 

Sooyoung had begged and pleaded with Yerim for them to stay home and eat there where it was safe. Yerim insisted they had to spend at least one dinner a month with her parents because her mom’s would worry about her if they didn’t see her for themselves. Sooyoung clutched onto her shorter partner for dear life which was a sight to see in itself.

 

“Babe, calm down. It’s only parents and you’ve met them both before.” The blonde gently pats her back in an effort to calm the taller woman down. Sooyoung shakes her head in disagreement. She would be fine if it were only Seulgi because she is the nice mom. But with Seulgi comes the scary mom Joohyun like some sort of two for one special.

 

“Can you blame me, Yerimie? Your scary mom wants me dead.”

 

“She doesn’t want you dead. Now let’s just go inside and have dinner like we do every time we come here.”

 

Sooyoung does try to do this but that’s easier said than done when the minute they walk through the door Joohyun greets Yerim warmly and looks at Sooyoung with slight disgust. At least Seulgi is nice and polite to her. Sooyoung is terrified to even look at her girlfriend while she’s here because Joohyun seems to be watching like a hawk. She is making sure there is minimal touching, hand holding, definitely no kissing, or anything that would give her a reason to keep them sitting at opposite sides of the table.

 

“How’s your mother?” Joohyun asks Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung jumps in her seat. “Oh, she’s fine, Ma’am. She’s fine!”

 

Joohyun eyes her with a curious look but says nothing more. Sooyoung is terrified of the woman and doesn’t want to do anything to make the woman hate her more. Yerim is passing the bowl of rice to Sooyoung and it feels like Joohyun is watching them in that moment even more intently.

 

“Thanks, babe.” Sooyoung whispers.

 

“What was that?”

 

“Nothing, momma.” Yerim says right away to Joohyun.

 

“Good, because there will be none of that talk in my house.”

 

“It was only babe not anything worse.”

 

“Worse such as, Sooyoung?”

 

“Oh, god…” Seulgi sighs and rubs her temples. She grabs her beer and starts drinking. One day the monolid woman is hopeful they can all sit down to a normal family dinner without all of the extra antics.

 

“Nothing, ma’am. I didn’t say anything.”

 

Joohyun doesn’t look pleased in the least and Sooyoung really looks like she’ll pass out or worse in a moment. The older brunette stands up and looks like she is about grab Sooyoung.

 

“If I hear you call my precious daughter anything other than Yerim I will end you, Park Sooyoung. Do you hear me?”

 

“Yes, Ma’am. Please don’t kill me! I don’t want to die yet. I have things to do still!”

 

“Oh my god..” Yerim groans and shakes her head. “Mommy, please you’re going to scare my girlfriend and then who’s going to be up all night with her when she can’t sleep, me.”

 

“Excuse me!”

 

“Nothing,” Sooyoung shouts. “She said nothing.”

 

(End)

 

The dark-haired woman shakes her head and closes the ring box. God, does she not want to die when she asks the Kang’s for their permission to marry Yerim. She really loves Yerim very much and that should matter, right? She supposes she’s brave enough to face Yerim’s scary mom as she will do anything for Yerim no matter what.

 

“Okay, Soo. You will go meet them at their house tomorrow for lunch and you will ask. You will not die. I repeat you will not die. God, I hope not anyway.”

 

Yerim doesn’t know anything about her meeting with her parents tomorrow. Just like she doesn’t know about the party she’s planning for her upcoming birthday. Sooyoung is really hopeful that when she meets with the Kangs it goes well. She hopes that she can ask for permission to ask to marry Yerim without possibly dying. It’s really Joohyun that will have the biggest fit of all since Sooyoung is sure that the woman hates her guts. Sooyoung is going to think positive. After all, most people really love her when they get to know her.

 

“But it has been years since you’ve met and she still looks at you like she wants you dead, Soo.”

 

Sooyoung sighs and shakes her head. She’s probably simply feeling nervous because she’s going to not only ask her girlfriend’s parents for permission to marry their daughter. She will also turn right around and ask the woman she loves to spend the rest of their lives together.

 

“Okay, Mrs. Kang. I am not scared of you! You’ll see.”


 

Joohyun is at dinner with Seulgi when she starts sneezing suddenly that it worries her wife. The monolid woman reaches over to touch Joohyun’s hand as she finally stops sneezes.

 

“What’s wrong, Hyun?” Seulgi asks as she grabs a tissue in case her wife needs one. The brunette thanks her but declines that she doesn’t need the tissue and says she’s fine.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“I’m sure. I just had a terribly strange feeling just now that I can’t fully explain.”

 

The dark-haired woman takes both of Joohyun’s hands into her own and caresses her knuckles. “I’m sure it’s nothing, honey.”

 

“I don’t think so, Seul. One of the last times I had a horrible feeling was when our daughter brought home that Sooyoung to introduce us and we haven’t been rid of her since.” Joohyun makes a face at that and Seulgi laughs a little nervously. She knows her wife isn’t the biggest fan of Park Sooyoung but she had hoped by now that Joohyun would have come around since it has been years since Yerim had introduced the girl has her girlfriend and they are quite serious about one another.

 

“Hyun, you know that Sooyoung isn’t that bad. Plus, Yerimie is serious about her and they do live together.”

 

Joohyun frowns. She dares not to think about what goes on in that apartment. Although, she has been there a few times and has been less than impressed by what she has witnessed because it seemed like there was always a lack of groceries, no clean laundry, and suspect things laying around which both her daughter and girlfriend would swear that she caught them at bad times.

 

“I just don’t know, Seul.”

 

“Well, they’re happy, Hyun. We should be happy for them. Besides we have more important things to think about like our daughter’s birthday coming up, no?”

 

Joohyun smiles then at the mention of their daughter’s birthday. At least Sooyoung is planning to throw a party for her and that is something Joohyun is on board with. She can’t wait for that and money of course is no object when it comes to their precious and only child.

 

“Yes, at least that is something we can look forward to.”

 

“There you go.” Seulgi smiles. “It’s a start. Before you know it you and Sooyoung will be getting along in no time.”

 

“Don’t push it.”

 

“Yes, honey.”

 

Seulgi is hopeful that her wife will try to be more willing to get along with Sooyoung because she is the person their daughter loves. After all, they’re just dating and it’s not like they’re going off and getting married anytime soon, right?


 

The following day when Sooyoung comes over Joohyun is a hospitable host as she is to anyone who comes over and she is mostly thinking Sooyoung is here because she is trying to discuss plans for Yerim’s upcoming birthday party which is fine for Joohyun. She’s all set and ready to discuss birthday plans. Well, she was until Sooyoung said something else.

 

“Um, Mrs. Kang….” She looks at Seulgi first. Since Seulgi is the least scary and nicest one out of the two. “Uh, Mrs. Kang…” Sooyoung looks at Joohyun who looks at her with a curious look on her face.

 

“What’s going on, Sooyoung?” Seulgi asks.

 

“Is this about Yerim’s birthday party?” Joohyun wants to know. Since that’s really the only thing she cares about.

 

“I….” Sooyoung knows she should just ask for the permission. But she gets scared because of the way Joohyun is looking at her with impatience and she gets scared all over again. There is no way she can ask them now when she is too nervous and not to mention fearful.

 

“Yes, it’s about Yerimie’s birthday. I was hoping to have a surprise party for her.”

 

“Money is of no object, Sooyoung.” Joohyun says. “We want Yerim to have the best birthday ever.”

 

“Uh, yeah….” The younger woman knows very well how rich Yerim’s family is. Not to say her mom doesn’t have money either or that she’s broke herself. She’s not and can certainly afford to take care of Yerim just as Yerim in turn takes care of her. But it is a little scary how Joohyun looks and sounds like some sort of business tycoon/mob boss.

 

“We’ll help with the planning, Sooyoung if that’s what you came to ask us. Are any of Yerimie’s friends getting involved?” Seulgi wonders.

 

“Yes, a few of her friends and some of our shared friends have been helping me with the planning. I just want this birthday to be a memorable one for her. I really love your daughter very much.”

 

“We know.” The monolid woman smiles kindly. “We know how much you love our daughter, right Hyun.”

 

Joohyun who hasn’t said a word because she’s busy looking up cake places to start checking out for Yerim’s birthday. Seulgi gently nudges her wife to get her attention.

 

“I’m sorry, what?”

 

“I said that I really love your daughter very much, Mrs. Kang and I want this to be a really memorable birthday for her.”

 

Joohyun looks very unimpressed at that statement but nods. “We will make sure that she has a wonderful birthday. Now, if that’s all you stopped by for, Sooyoung…”

 

Now would be the perfect time to just say why she’s also here. All she has to do is ask her girlfriend’s parents if she can marry their daughter. Why can’t she speak? Sooyoung is sitting there simply staring at them. The Kang’s are wondering if the girl is alright?

 

“I…”

 

“Sooyoung?” Seulgi asks. “Are you alright?”

 

“What?”

 

“If you have anything else to say, Sooyoung? You should say so.” Joohyun tells her in what sounds like a business-like tone. The next thing the couple know Sooyoung gets up suddenly, laughs nervously, and runs for the front door but not before shouting out one last thing.

 

“Bye, Mrs. Kang and you too, Mrs. Kang. I need to go now before I piss my pants or throw up. I’ll be in touch about Yerimie’s party.”

 

The older couple exchange confused looks and shrug. They’ve seen Sooyoung acting odd before but that was odd even for her.

 

“Now what could be wrong with that girl.” Joohyun speaks.

 

“You do scare her, Hyunnie.”

 

“I did nothing to that girl, not this time.” Her wife quickly adds. Seulgi shakes her head and simply rubs her wife’s hand.

 

“Oh, sure, Hyun. Whatever you say.”


 

At the same time Seulgi does hope Sooyoung is going to be alright. The girl really did look like she was about to pass out or fall apart. Speaking of said girl she gets to her car and has to take several deep breaths to calm down. Today is not the day for her to ask Yerim’s parents permission. She better find courage soon because Yerim’s birthday isn’t that far away. As horrible as Sooyoung feels that whole ordeal went the best thing about her day is when she’s back at the apartment and gets a hug from her girl. There really is nothing like hugging Yerim or having Yerim hugging her. The blonde wraps her arms around the taller woman and gently rubs her back. She can tell that Sooyoung has had a rough day and looks completely out of it.

 

“What’s wrong, Soo?” Yerim asks in concern. She helps Sooyoung sit down on one of the couches in their living room and is just about to go get her some water. It’s hard to do this because Sooyoung is clinging onto her tightly and not letting go.

 

“Babe?” She runs her fingers through dark locks.

 

“I’m sorry. I just don’t want to let you go.”

 

Yerim smiles since it comes off sounding so sweet. But her girlfriend is very sweet. Sooyoung is the kind of girlfriend who will leave her job to come and meet her if she needs her. Sooyoung is thoughtful to where she always listens to Yerim talk about any and everything, even if it’s just to vent without offering any advice. Sooyoung loves her with all of her heart and in turn Yerim loves this amazing and beautiful woman too. She just wishes her mom in particular would try to understand that. Yerim sits down with her on the couch.

 

“Now you don’t have to let me go. But what’s going on? You seem like you had a rough day.”

 

Sooyoung needs to think of something and quick. She can’t tell her the truth right now, and risk ruining the entire surprise. It’s why she makes some believable excuse about having a bad day at work.

 

“Let me make you something to cheer you up. It sounds like you had a hard time.”

 

“Oh, you have no idea. But…” Sooyoung pauses as she has a good idea on what Yerim is about to make for her. There are a few things the blonde makes specifically when she knows her girlfriend has had a bad day. Yerim moves about in the kitchen and Sooyoung sees the familiar red bowl.

 

“Babe, really?”

 

“Yes, really. You could use some cheering up.” Yerim smiles and brings over the bowl with the ice cream sundae. Sooyoung’s eyes light up as she sees the strawberry ice cream, vanilla, chocolate sauce, cherries, and whip cream. Her girl always knows what to do.

 

“Thanks, babe.” Sooyoung picks up one of the spoons.

 

“Anything to see that smile.” Yerim tells her seriously. “I hope you don’t have a bad day like that tomorrow.”

 

“Me too, Yerimie.”


 

The plan is honestly to keep on planning the party but she still needs to ask for Yerim’s parent’s permission to marry their daughter. The dark-haired woman uses part of her lunch break to get more details down with her friends which has been a big help.

 

“I’m excited for Yerim’s party.” Her best friend Yerin admits to her as she goes over her own copy of the checklist.

 

“Me too.” Sooyoung nods. “Is Eunbi going to be able to come?” She asks about her friend’s longtime girlfriend.

 

“Yep, she’ll be coming to the party. But what about you, Soo. Have you been able to ask Yerim’s parents for permission to marry her?”

 

Sooyoung laughs nervously and shakes her head in the negative. She doesn’t tell Yerin all the details. All she tells her best friend is that when she arrived to talk to Yerim’s parents she wasn’t able to go through with it for one simple reason.

 

“You’re still scared of her mother?” Yerin laughs.

 

“Yes! The woman is like the scariest person ever on a good day. She will probably lose her when I ask for permission to marry Yerimie. It doesn’t matter though, because I really love this woman too much and I’m going to ask even if her mother scares me.”

 

Her best friend nods and gives her a hug in encouragement. Yerin really does hope it works out for Sooyoung. The two of them have been together for so long and anyone with eyes can see that they are very serious about one another. When she’s back at work Sooyoung is getting a text from Seulgi in regards to Yerim’s birthday party and they truly weren’t kidding about money being no object. There’s images of different places where they can have the party and all look more expensive than the last.

 

“If you guys are footing the bill…” Sooyoung thinks to herself before texting back that she’s fine with whatever choice they make. Yerim will honestly like the party at any of the places as long as the food is good and she’s surrounded by the people she cares about, which won’t be the issue. Sooyoung has taken control of that to make sure it will have all of their close friends and people who really love and care for Yerim. The party planning is going well and that’s not the issue any longer since Sooyoung has a lot of he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter