Fin

Come to Me

You and soccer were never on good terms. The sport itself seemed to hate you more than how much you hated it. It all boiled down to first grade when a wannabe soccer star kicked the ball a little too hard and didn’t notice you passing by. Needless to say but the ball hit you square on the face and you cried like someone stole your favorite plushie. That was how you and the sport turned into mortal enemies with you avoiding it at all costs.

 

 

So of course you weren’t paying attention to the ongoing game in front of you right now as you sat down with a bunch of students on the bleachers. Why were you here again? You wondered out loud amidst the intense cheering.

 

 

“Because Luda, it’s the first soccer match of the season and we’re here to show our team spirit!” Soobin exclaims, cheerful as ever.

 

 

“Are you sure it isn’t because of a certain red head goal keeper that goes by the name of Chu Sojung?” You tease your friend and she turns pink immediately.

 

 

“I-it’s not like that! Besides, I’m also excited to see the new co-captain of the team. I heard that she just transferred to our school this semester.”

 

 

You hum in response. Soobin was right, it was slightly interesting to see new blood, but only slightly. You still preferred to be in the gym right now practicing your volleyball spikes instead of sitting down amongst the rowdiest crowd in Starship University. That meant the whole school population because apparently the soccer team was as famous as the volleyball team. Not that you cared about popularity, but your first game as an open hitter instead of a libero was coming closer and you wanted to be in perfect shape for it.

 

 

Loud chanting interrupts you from your thoughts and you snap your head back to the field to see your school’s soccer team march out. And because you were friends with Soobin who was not-so-secretly dating one of the co-captains, you knew more about the team than you wanted to. There was Yeonjung, Jinsook, and Dayoung in defense, the three youngest members but also called the maknae wall as their defense line was the best of the best. 

 

 

Hyunjung and Dawon, left and middle midfielders come out along with the rest of the team. And following last was the goal keeper slash co-captain (and the love of Soobin’s life), Sojung, walking side by side with a new face who was wearing the captain’s arm band. You didn’t think the crowd could get any louder, but it does as the last two walk out into the field.

 

 

You find yourself glancing more towards the new girl as you try to take her in. She was undeniably good looking, she and Sojung perfectly gave out an aura. You trace her face starting from her eyes down to her flawless nose and smirking lips. She was confident, that you could tell by only looking at her. You just hoped she was as good as they say she is.

 

 

The opposite crowd suddenly starts screaming as the team from the rival school files out. And in the briefest moments before the game starts, you swore you and the new girl made eye contact. You chuckle, who were you kidding, why were you suddenly so interested even. But you find yourself giving her the benefit of the doubt anyway.

 

 

Let’s see what you got new girl.

 

 

-

 

 

Thirty-five minutes into the game and you could already conclude that everything they said about the new girl was true. She was a striker and was zooming in back and forth yet she didn’t look exhausted at all. The game was still in a stalemate with neither team scoring and you could feel the tension grow more as the minutes pass by.

 

 

Amidst the pressure was the calm which was number Thirteen aka new girl. Thirteen actually had lots of close calls but the opposite team’s defense was undeniably on par. Most players would feel frustrated and could lose their cool in situations like these but not Thirteen.

 

 

No wonder she was a co-captain, even under the influence of stress, she knew how to stay in control. You noticed how she would take in a deep breath and close her eyes for a split second before getting back into the game and encouraging her teammates. There was some sort of positivity that just radiated from her and honestly it was a little blinding.

 

 

“Do you think we can win this?” You ask Soobin who had her hands clasped together tightly.

 

 

She nods her head right away. “They can do this, I noticed that the opponent’s defense was getting weaker, they’re exhausted. Just breach a bit more and they can score.”

 

 

Soobin’s analysis was right, the full backs were heaving and the goal keeper’s movements were getting slower. It was amazing how Soobin noticed all that, it proved further why she was one of the best setters and playmakers of the region. Soccer may be a different sport but strategizing was universal.

 

 

Ten minutes left on the clock and the opponents had a hold on the ball. Not for long as Hyunjung steals it back and sprints forward passing the ball on to Dawon who dodges a slide effortlessly. This was the perfect chance but Thirteen was being guarded by three defenders blocking her from the ball. Dawon keeps it away as they move waiting for Thirteen to break free.

 

 

With all the defenders focusing on their striker, the midfielder instead moves forward and takes a shot aiming it at a sharp upper right angle. It was an amazing shot but the goal keeper was able to block the ball then as she falls to the ground, Thirteen suddenly materializes for the rebound and does a header giving the ball enough force to enter the net opposite the keeper. And just like that, the first goal of the match happens.

 

 

The stadium erupts with cheers as the referee whistles the signal for a goal and also the end of the game. It was unbelievable but your school actually won. You had to give it to the team, it was interesting and you weren’t bored out of your mind throughout the whole thing. You even almost get knocked off your seat as Soobin tackles you in an embrace.

 

 

“I told you they could do it!” Soobin’s voice was on the verge of crying and you smile while patting her back.

 

 

“You’re acting like this was already the finals you big baby.” It could as well have been the finals as they were rival schools and always found each other in the top two. Today, you all saw the preview of the championship game.

 

 

You tap Soobin on the shoulder after a few minutes. “Hey I think someone’s waiting for you.” You direct your head to the field where Sojung was trying hard not to keep looking into Soobin’s direction. “Let’s head down shall we?”

 

 

--

 

 

You only realized in the last minute that standing beside Sojung was the new girl. You do an internal sigh, you weren’t in the mood to talk to anyone right now. If it weren’t for Soobin you would have bolted right after the game ended.

 

 

“Sojung!” Soobin lets go of your hand and runs into the red head’s arms who looked really ecstatic probably not only because of their win. You didn’t notice Thirteen approaching you as you stood to the side allowing your friends time to themselves.

 

 

“Hi!” She says pertly and you had a split second thought of pretending not to hear her and walking away instead but your volleyball captain, Jiyeon, instructed you to lessen your rudeness if you wanted to stay in the team so you sigh and face the girl even though you had zero social skills.

 

 

“Uh yeah, hey.” You give her a nod trying not to look awkward.

 

 

New girl smirks before introducing herself. “I’m Juyeon, I just transferred to this awesome school.” She says as cheerfully as ever.

 

 

Juyeon. Something about that name was familiar but you couldn’t pin it down.

 

 

“I know.” New girl raises an eyebrow and you realize what you said kind of came out differently. “I mean everyone practically knows. I guess you’re a superstar.” Did new girl just blush?

 

 

“I’m not a superstar, I’m just a normal girl who likes kicking a muddy ball around.” Juyeon scratches the back of her head with a bashful smile that was actually really adorable.

 

 

“Well okay normal girl who likes to kick a muddy ball around, I’m Luda, Soobin’s friend and teammate.” You didn’t bother with handshakes, it was weird and honestly unsanitary.

 

 

“I know.” She was quick to reply. “I kinda knew you wouldn’t recognize me.”

 

 

“Huh?” Juyeon chuckles at your dumb reply.

 

 

“My full name’s Son Juyeon.” Well that you already figured out because of the three letters of her last name sticking out on the back of her jersey.

 

 

“You’re still not making any sense.”

 

 

“We went to grade school together for a while before I moved away.” She explains with a warm smile.

 

 

“Oh uhm, I’m sorry, I’m really bad at remembering people.” It was embarrassing but it was the truth. You rarely interacted with anyone because you didn’t even bother. Having a few friends was enough for you.

 

 

“I don’t think you’d forget me easily.”

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

“Well, I did kick a ball to your face in grade school once.”

 

 

--

 

 

Of course Juyeon was the soccer star wannabe that kicked you in the face, well technically it was a ball but details. And of course she just had to be in the same university as you, what were the chances huh? She also didn’t need to be super charismatic and striking. You try to get rid of thoughts of the soccer captain off your mind as Soobin sent a ball your way, it was a chance for a running attack but you were a second too late and hit the ball into the wrong angle. The ball was too off and ended up outside the line. You grunt in frustration as you landed back on the ground.

 

 

“Luda, how do you expect to get our team any points if your head is in the clouds?” Your own captain, Jiyeon, asks you sternly. You force yourself to look up at her even though she was scary as hell. Outside of the team she had the personality of a soft bunny but inside the court, she was like a fire breathing dragon.

 

 

“I’m sorry cap, just a little under the weather today.” You bite your lip at that measly excuse.

 

 

“I don’t need excuses Luda, don’t make me regret your position change.” The captain says in finality before resuming training.

 

 

God, nothing but that. You’ve worked too hard for this position for years. Every coach and captain just threw you as a libero ever since you started playing volleyball. It’s not that you hated being a libero, in fact you were really good at it which was why you stayed in that position for years but in your heart you knew you should be out there spiking and scoring for your team. Now you’re finally here but it was frustrating because you couldn’t concentrate at all.

 

 

Maybe you had side effects from your childhood concussion when you met the perpetrator again. It was all Juyeon’s fault, you reason with yourself. You weren’t distracted because of how beautiful she’s become, definitely not that. Your gay seriously needed to get a grip.

 

 

--

 

 

It was already hard getting rid of thoughts of Juyeon from your head but the raven haired girl also had to keep popping up wherever you were. The cafeteria, the library, and even the vending machine in the deep corners of the campus. It wasn’t a surprise anymore that you hear the same chirpy voice say the usual greeting beside you as you ran your morning laps around campus.

 

 

“Hi Luda!” That was how it always went, a simple hi and your name but it somehow always makes your heart skip. You already went to the school nurse to ask about your condition and she just laughed when she found out it happened every time you were with Juyeon.

 

 

“It’s you again.” You say as cold as you could muster but it doesn’t faze the soccer captain at all, thinking about it now, it never did.

 

 

“Yeap! It’s me again!” She answers while matching your stride.

 

 

“Aren’t you sick of following me around?”

 

 

“But I’m not?” You glance her way and notice a smirk on the athlete’s face. You had to suppress an eye roll. You don’t answer and quicken your pace instead trying to get rid of the annoying puppy like girl.

 

 

“Wait for me!” You hear from behind but that just makes you run faster. “Oh it’s on Luda! Race you! Last one to reach the soccer stadium has to buy ice cream!” She shouts before she’s gunning and was actually getting pretty far ahead of you.

 

 

What the actual ? You don’t think further and find yourself running after the girl instead. If there was anything you hated more than a buffed Rilakkuma bear (what a nightmare), it was losing. You were Lee Luda and you always won.

 

 

Maybe the always in winning was a stretch as you reach the middle of the soccer stadium almost out of breath with a grinning Juyeon already standing there. You don’t talk and just lie flat on the ground trying to catch your breath. Juyeon leans on her knees and looks over at you blocking the rays of the sun.

 

 

“Don’t.” Is all you say as you normalize your breathing. Once that was taken care of, you finally crack open your eyes and look to see Juyeon still leaning over you. You had to suppress a blush because the girl actually looked like she was glowing with the sun directly behind her.

 

 

Beautiful.

 

“So…” Juyeon starts and you cut her off immediately.

 

 

“I get off practice at six, we can go get your damn ice cream afterwards.”

 

 

“Yey!” Was all the girl says before tackling you on the ground making you shriek in surprise.

 

 

“Son Juyeon get off me!”

 

 

“But you’re so warm!”

 

 

“You’re all sweaty!”

 

 

“So are you!”

 

 

--

 

 

Practice goes better today and everyone definitely noticed. You were hitting ball after ball accurately. The teamwork between you and Soobin was also crazy, it’s like you two were perfectly in sync all the time. You didn’t even need to look at the setter to know her plan.

 

 

“Luda.” Jiyeon calls and you were scared to hear what the captain had to say but you turn around to face her anyway.

 

“Y-yes cap?”

 

 

“Great job today, keep it up and you’ll definitely be part of first string for the opening game.” That was all she said before walking back to continue her own training. That was how hardworking the rightwing spiker captain was. Kim Jiyeon wasn’t the youngest captain in your school for no reason either.

 

 

“Luda! You did it!” Soobin yells before jumping on you for a hug. “We should go celebrate!”

 

 

“Aaah I actually can’t later, I have some… business to finish.” Soobin lets go of you but eyes you skeptically.

 

 

“You’re not going to stay until midnight to train again are you?”

 

 

“No, no! I promise I’m not.”

 

 

“Good because I do not want to find you collapsed on the court again.”

 

 

That memory makes you cringe and smile at the same time. You had the tendency to overwork yourself and one night your body couldn’t handle it anymore and the next thing you found yourself on the hospital bed with Soobin napping on a chair. You hated yourself for making your friend worry but you were also thankful for her at the same time. You swore to yourself to never let it happen again but some days it was hard to especially after the position change.

 

 

“I’m not going to keep practicing. I actually just have to meet up with someone-“ Just then a loud voice calls from the gym entrance cutting you off instantly.

 

 

“Luda! Can we go get ice cream now?!” The infiltrator yells calling for not just your attention but everyone else in the gym.

 

 

“What the, Juyeon?” Soobin asks out loud as the soccer player pays no mind to the staring from your other teammates and walks towards you. She even greets a few others who apparently knew her too. Just how popular was this girl?

 

 

“Hey there Soobin!” Juyeon greets too but as she faces you, she suddenly turns shy and gives you a bashful smile. “Hi, Luda.”

 

 

“H-hi.” That was unexpected and try as you may, that was undeniably the cutest thing you’ve seen from the proud soccer captain. “What are you doing here?”

 

 

“I thought we were going to go get the ice cream you promised?” Juyeon actually pouts and you try not to melt on the spot. “Did you forget already?” Too late, you were already melting.

 

 

“No silly, of course I didn’t. Just surprised to see you here early that’s all.” That was the softest conversation you’ve ever had with anyone aside from your friends and Soobin definitely noticed as she looked at you curiously. “I’ll just shower up quick and I’m all yours again.” What was spewing out of your mouth right now? All yours? What is happening to you Lee Luda? Those questions get erased right away though as a wide smile forms on Juyeon’s face.

 

 

“Okay! I’ll wait right here!” She actually did as she said and sat down right there on the court floor. You roll your eyes good naturedly before going in the showers with Soobin on your tail. You expected the flurry of questions from your friend once you two entered the shower stalls.

 

 

“So could you please explain to me how you turned the school’s soccer superstar into your obedient puppy?”

 

 

“She’s not my obedient puppy.” Soobin looks at you with disbelief and you just groan. “I owe her ice cream, that’s all.”

 

 

“Right, and I’m not head over heels for Sojung.”

 

 

“Was that supposed to be rhetorical?” It was Soobin’s turn to roll her eyes.

 

 

“You can deny it forever but I see how you treat Juyeon. You can’t hide from this for too long. Trust me, I know.”

 

 

Maybe Soobin was right but everything was still new. You just wanted things to fall into place slowly. But was that even possible with Juyeon?

 

 

--

 

 

Soobin was right about one thing, Juyeon was a puppy (an overgrown one). You could see the imaginary tail on her back wagging as she waited for her ice cream. You didn’t even want to start talking about her puppy dog eyes, those things were dangerous. When you looked into them it was just impossible to say no.

 

 

“You act like you haven’t eaten ice cream in years.” You tease as Juyeon ate her salted caramel ice cream with so much enthusiasm.

 

 

“You could say that.” She takes one last before talking again. “I have a strict diet because of soccer season.”

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? Are you even allowed to eat ice cream right now? Oh my god Sojung’s going to kill me for illegally feeding you.” Juyeon just laughs at your misery and you bump her shoulder lightly.

 

 

“No one’s going to kill anyone. I have your back don’t worry.”

 

 

“I hope you’re sure about that. I kind of love my life right now, wouldn’t want it to end early because I fed a puppy ice cream.”

 

 

“You think I’m a puppy?” Oh , you didn’t even notice that slipping out.

 

 

“I- uh, well, Soobin described you as a puppy.” That was all you could think of as a cover up even though indeed you already started thinking of her as such.

 

 

“I guess I do act like a puppy most of the time. A lot have told me I’m similar to one.” She smiles before facing you. “But I’m only obedient to my person.”

 

 

“And who would that be?” You unconsciously knit your eyebrows.

 

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” She says before leaning forward and stealing a bite from your orange popsicle stick and running away as you yell at her for eating the last bite of your ice cream.

 

 

“Son Juyeon come back here!” If anything, Juyeon was no obedient puppy.

 

 

--

 

 

You were so used to Juyeon popping up anywhere that it’s actually turned into a daily routine. Morning runs with Juyeon, a mid-day trip to the hidden vending machine with Juyeon, afternoon study at the library with Juyeon, and sometimes watching each other’s practice. Before you knew it, your days were starting to fill up with Juyeon, Juyeon, Juyeon. It was a miracle how you weren’t sick of the girl.

 

 

The beagle like girl seems to have heard your inner thoughts as she enters the gym and waves her hand at you. You give a small wave before getting back to training. It was noticeable how comfortable Juyeon was with the volleyball team. No one questioned anymore what she was doing sitting down on the bleachers and watching you guys practice. She was like an honorable member as other teammates greet and welcome her.

 

 

Sometimes she would pop open a book and study while waiting for you. Other times she’d be your personal cheerleader and would always hoot so loudly whenever you scored. It was embarrassing to be honest but you got used to it after a few weeks of the same activity. If anything, it was actually really endearing and you didn’t mind having such a pretty cheerleader.

 

 

“Practice ended early?” You ask as you approach the soccer captain on the bleachers after showering up.

 

 

Juyeon nods before closing her textbook and facing you. “So your first game’s coming up. How do you feel?” She was right, it was just a few days more before the season opens and you remember telling her about your recent change in position.

 

 

“Nervous, a whole lot of that but also really excited. I’ve worked too hard for this.”

 

 

“You’re going to do really well. We may not play the same sport but I know a good athlete when I see one.” She looks at you sincerely before continuing. “And you’re definitely one of them.”

 

 

You could feel rather than see the electricity and tension hanging in the air but you dared not to disrupt it. Juyeon was looking at you intensely that it made you swallow hard. Her face was suddenly leaning closer and for a second you were frozen until she was a mere inches away and you snapped yourself out of it.

 

 

“So what ice cream flavor do you want to try today?” You blurt out effectively stopping Juyeon from doing whatever it was she was planning to do. She seemed to realize the same thing as her eyes go wide before moving away and feigning a cough.

 

 

“Uh anything you want.” She beats you before you could reply. “Except kimchi flavored ice cream.”

 

 

“What! But it’s really, really good and it’s my mission to introduce it you!”

 

 

“Yeah, not happening Lee.” She chuckles before standing up and holding your things for you, she always did that and you try not to blush at the implication of it.

 

 

“Fine, but next time for sure I’m going to make you see the light that is kimchi ice cream.”

 

 

And just like that, the weird tension from earlier was gone and you two were back to being comfortable with each other. You preferred this, something uncomplicated.

 

 

--

 

 

Volleyball used to be the only sport that piqued your interest but everything changed after you and Juyeon became friends. Becoming her friend meant you were exposed to all her nerdy ramblings about her favorite soccer player or her sudden bursts of strategy ideas you needed to remember for her because she forgot them easily. You even had a small journal just for those. At this point you were practically working sideline as the soccer team’s manager.

 

 

You had notes on each player’s skill and weaknesses, making sure to write them down as you watch them practice while waiting for Juyeon to finish up. The sun felt nice on your skin as you sat at the benches closest to where the team trained. Today it was a practice game with the team divided into two. It was more interesting than usual because the two co-captains were on separate teams this time. They both obviously wanted to beat the other, what with them being the two most competitive people you knew.

 

 

The influence they have over the team is noticeable. Outside of the sport, Juyeon and Sojung may be the center of jokes especially with the latter being the biggest cry baby but on the field, they become the most respected.

 

 

You watch each individual team member play like normal but as always your focus moves back to a certain striker. Something about watching Juyeon play was just hypnotizing, how she runs back and forth controlling the ball with impeccable skill. She was talented but it wasn’t just that, her passion for the game was inspiring and she wouldn’t be who she was now without all the hard work put into training every day.

 

 

You two were similar in terms of your love for your individual sports but something else was different about Juyeon. It showed in the way she encouraged her team with loud cheers, brightened the whole stadium with just one smile, and charmed everyone around her by just being who she was. She was the complete opposite of you. You were fog and rain while she was the sun and blue skies.

 

 

It made you wonder why the girl who was loved by everyone even became your friend. You were far from being sociable but that didn’t stop Juyeon. But you were still you, quiet little Luda, there was nothing remotely interesting about you aside from the fact that you took care of an equally small white dog.

 

 

Maybe it was exactly that, Juyeon was just Juyeon and it was impossible for even you not to fall into her axis. And maybe it was the same way with her. How she climbs over the benches close to your seat just so you could wipe some sweat off her face with a towel you always brought with you. Then flashing you a dazzling smile before jumping back down the track to continue running her laps like it was the most normal thing.

 

 

So maybe it is normal, for you and Juyeon that is.

 

 

--

 

 

Shortness of breath? Checkmark on that. Uncontrollable sweating and sense of coldness? Big yeap. Tunnel vision, the moment you read that was like the breaking point as your vision started to darken. The self-diagnosing article open on your phone right now entitled ‘How do you ing Know if you’re having a Panic Attack’ described all the wonderful crap you were currently feeling as you curl yourself smaller inside your locker room.

 

 

It was two hours before your opening game and hence explaining your anxiety quadrupling in size. Damn it, you were having a panic attack right before the most important game in your life, get a hold of yourself Lee Luda. That was easier said than done but it didn’t alleviate any of your frustration or impending blackout. You could seriously feel your head getting more and more lightheaded but the need to play was the only thing keeping you awake. The article on your phone screen suddenly shifts into a photo of you and Juyeon as the latter was suddenly calling.

 

 

“Hello?” You answer weakly after using all your remaining strength to just swipe the damn call button.

 

 

“Luda? Hey where are you? Your teammates are waiti- hey are you okay??!” Juyeon’s tone shifts to a worried one.

 

 

“Y-yeah, I’m o-okay.” You manage out.

 

 

“Luda I can hear your heavy breathing and your voice is trembling. Where are you right now?”

 

 

“Lo-locker room.” That was all you managed before the darkness fully envelops you.

 

 

--

 

 

You wake up to something warm invading your senses and deft fingers combing your hair gently. It was getting harder to open your eyes because of how comfortable you felt right now compared to the cold darkness earlier. Something or rather someone was telling you to wake up though and it seemed impossible for you not to comply.

 

 

“Luda, wake up.” You blearily   open your eyes to the sight of Juyeon looking down and your head lying on her lap, no wonder it was warm. An ache in your head distracts you and makes you groan in pain.

 

 

“What the hell happened to me, I feel like I drank ten bottles of soju but I didn’t. I didn’t, right?” That brings out a light chuckle from the girl above and you take a peek at her again.

 

 

“As far as I know, we were talking on the phone last night because you were really nervous and couldn’t sleep. I think I know you enough to know whether you were drunk or not.”

 

 

“Oh shut up. I was just exaggerating.”

 

 

“I know, I know, you and your need to be dramatic. How do you feel?”

 

 

“Slight headache but that’s it.”  Something else was trying to boggle your head but it was still kind of foggy. You were forgetting something important, the reason why you couldn’t sleep last night and decided to talk Juyeon’s ear off until you finally felt a yawn on your lips. “Holy the game!! Juyeon the ing game! The most important game of my life!”

 

 

“Is still starting in about an hour so chill, you might black out on me again.” Juyeon pushes you back to lie down on her lap and you felt yourself blushing but obeying anyway. “Don’t worry about it, I told Jiyeon-unnie I’d look for you.”

 

 

“What? The captain let me off that easily?”

 

 

“Well she specifically told me to bring you back forty minutes before the game starts for warm up but I think we got lots of time.”

 

 

You groan for the second time that day and not because of the headache. “This is embarrassing.” Having a nervous breakdown before a game was very unprofessional and you didn’t know what kind of face you were going to show your team later on.

 

 

“You know, I puked my guts out before my first official game since transferring here.” The soccer player suddenly reveals.

 

 

“You what?”

 

 

“Me, puking, first game. I was really nervous because I was the outsider to this team. I was suddenly entrusted as a co-captain even though I’ve only been with them for a few weeks.”

 

 

“I-I didn’t know that. How’d you still manage to play afterwards?”

 

 

“I loved playing soccer too much I guess.” She smiles sincerely afterwards and deep down you understood what she said perfectly and why she decided to tell you that particular story.

 

 

“I love playing volleyball too.” You simply say and you two just end up smiling at each other because of a deeper understanding.

 

 

--

 

 

“Hyunjung-unnie’s girlfriend!” Juyeon yells as she called for your team captain’s attention. You almost choked on the spot and it seemed that so did the volleyball captain. You continue watching as Jiyeon approaches you two and slaps the back of Juyeon’s head. The latter yelps in surprise and pain but in all honesty she deserved it.

 

 

“What was that for!”

 

 

“For being too loud.” The volleyball captain shakes her head in disbelief. “I still can’t believe you’re Hyun’s captain.”

 

 

“What’s unbelievable is you abusing me when I found your star player.” She pushes you forward and you had to suppress a blush at being called that. Juyeon nudges you when you still didn’t speak up.

 

 

“Oh right uhm, I’m so sorry for being late but I’m here now.”

 

 

“Are you sure you’re fit to play?”

 

 

You muster all the courage and determination before answering. “Yes, I’ve waited my whole life for this.”

 

 

“That’s what I wanted to hear, alright go do warm-ups with Soobin. I’m counting on you.” She taps your shoulder before walking away and continues practicing her spikes.

 

 

“I swear she’s not this strict whenever she visits Hyunjung-unnie. Anyway how are you doing? You ready?”

 

 

You nod your head eagerly. “I was born ready.”

 

 

“That’s my Luda, alright good luck.” She does something unexpected and kisses the side of your head then.

 

 

“Fly high okay?” That was all she said before moving to the bleachers sitting down next to Sojung and Hyunjung, probably present to cheer their girlfriends on. Thinking about it now, Juyeon was also here to cheer you on, did that mean…yeah no not going there, you still had a game to play.

 

-

 

One spike turned into two and into many more as the game went on. It began shakily but you just had to remember that Juyeon told you to fly high so you did just that. The game was sealed after three sets and you just stand there in place after delivering the winning spike staring at your hands like you still couldn’t believe what just happened. Until your teammates all come running to you, Soobin being the first to wrap you in a bone crushing hug. Xuanyi and Meiqi suddenly take your arms and the next thing you knew you were boosted up as high as the net as they lifted you on their shoulders.

 

 

You could hear and feel the cheers vibrating through the court and in the midst of it all, you catch Juyeon looking at you with a gigantic smile on her face. She mouths ‘I’m proud of you’ and that was when you started to believe what was happening. You won, you actually won your first game. Maybe the world was on your side this time. You take another glance at Juyeon’s grinning face and you were pretty sure of it. You hold onto the shoulders of your teammates carrying you and went along with the feeling of happiness and accomplishment.

 

 

--

 

 

The smell of pancakes and honey wakes you up but you groan not wanting to get out of bed just yet. It was a Sunday and Jiyeon gave you all a day off from training today so you wanted to make the best out of it, meaning sleeping the day off. But alas, your stomach betrays your wishes as it grumbles as loud as a monster.

 

 

“Luda come on out and eat, I can hear your tummy begging for food from all over here.” Soobin yells outside your door probably still cooking.

 

 

“That was me groaning not my tummy.” You say while lying face down on the bed with your pillow muffling your words.

 

 

“Are you trying to suffocate yourself?” Another voice, definitely not Soobin’s, calls from your bedroom door. You knew that voice very well and it made you not want to get up even more.

 

 

“Yes, now leave me be to die in peace.”

 

 

“I don’t think suffocating is a peaceful way to die.” You could hear footsteps moving closer to your bed and the next thing you knew a heavy weight suddenly lands across your back.

 

 

“Son Juyeon get off me! I don’t want to die due to a broken spine!” After a couple struggling and laughter, Juyeon finally rolls over and settles beside you. The puppy-like girl usually visited your dorm in the morning before going out for practice. You finally look at her but she was still laughing even while your forehead was scrunched so you started assaulting her with a pillow.

 

 

“Ow! Is that how you want to spend our last morning together?” She pouts as she moves the pillow away from her face.

 

 

“This isn’t our last morning together, stop being dramatic. And you say I’m the drama queen.”

 

 

“Well yeah but we still won’t be seeing each other for a week.” Juyeon pouts even more. You pinch her cheeks even after her protests. She just looked really cute you couldn’t resist it.

 

 

The soccer team was going for a training camp at another town in preparation for their final game in a few weeks. It was going to comprise of intense workout and high intensity training according to Juyeon. Of course the captain whined about it not because of the rigorous groundwork but because she wouldn’t be seeing you for a whole week. You tried not to think too deep on the implications of that.

 

 

“It’s just a week Juyeon. We’ll be texting every day anyway.” You say nonchalantly trying not to dampen the soccer captain’s mood any more. “Come on, let’s get you some food before you go for your trip.” At the mention of food, Juyeon’s face lights up and she pulls you out of the bed and into the kitchen. You were planning on a lazy day but maybe spending these stolen moments with Juyeon was better.

 

 

--

 

 

A week without Juyeon wouldn’t too bad, that’s what you thought. The beginning days were a bit easier. You went on with your days like normal, morning runs without Juyeon, a mid-day trip to the hidden vending machine without Juyeon, afternoon study at the library without Juyeon. And now going straight home because there was no soccer team to watch over anymore.

 

 

“Okay that’s it!” Soobin suddenly exclaims from her side of the couch. “I know you really miss Eunseo and that you’re probably in love with her or something. Believe me, I get it but I am sick of this kicked puppy behavior!” She throws her hands up in emphasis.

 

 

“Wh-what?”

 

 

“Don’t what me, you know exactly what I’m talking about.”

 

 

 “Actually I don’t?”

 

 

“I swear to god Luda, you’re smarter than this. I thought you had the braincells in the team.” Soobin sighs and rubs her temples in frustration.

 

 

“Well okay maybe I do know what you’re talking about but you didn’t have to say it out loud!”

 

 

“Someone had to do it. I know you Luda, you’re going to try and deny it forever instead of actually facing your feelings.”

 

 

It was your turn to sigh as you ponder over Soobin’s words. Why you were denying what you actually felt for the younger girl you still didn’t know but you had an idea.

 

 

“I’m not brave Soobin, I’m far from that.” She softens then at the tone of your voice and scoots closer to pull you into a side hug.

 

 

“Have you ever thought about how Juyeon might feel the same way too? That she might be just as scared as you?” You shake your head solemnly.

 

 

“I guess I’ve been so self-absorbed with my own insecurities that I never actually put her feelings into consideration.” Your head was starting to get heavy due to all the swarming thoughts and you end up leaning on Soobin’s shoulder.

 

 

“It’ll be okay. You can tell Juyeon all about it when they come back. I miss them too.” You snuggle closer to Soobin at her sad reply trying to give her as much comfort.

 

 

“Okay.” That was all you could muster as you drift into sleep trying to hang onto memories of Juyeon’s goofy smile.

 

 

--

 

 

You didn’t need a text message from Juyeon to even know they were back. The whole school was buzzing and that was enough to inform you that the soccer team were in campus again. Guess it wasn’t just you and Soobin who missed them.

 

 

There wasn’t a chance for you to see Juyeon yet. Or maybe you were just doing everything to avoid her. Admitting your feelings to yourself was different from actually acting on them and it’s taking you every ounce of self-control not to fall into a panic attack. But you couldn’t deny that you really missed the soccer captain which explained why you were currently fighting your anxiety and walking towards the field where they usually practiced hoping to finally see her again.

 

 

Maybe you should have been more aware of your surroundings before walking straight into a field where soccer balls were flying around. But your head was a jumbled mess and you didn’t realize what was about to happen till a voice shouts.

 

 

“Watch out!!” The warning was too late and you could only widen your eyes in shock as a soccer ball hits you square in the face for the second time in your life.

 

 

Getting hit in the face with a ball was all too familiar but this one was particularly stronger and your small build falters before falling to the ground. And wow if you thought your mind was fuzzy earlier, it was worse now. You felt a strong pair of arms help your upper body up and suddenly you were enveloped by warmth.

 

 

“Luda! Luda hey stay with me.” A voice talks frantically.

 

 

“Juyeon? Hey it’s you, you’re back.” You try to say hoping it didn’t come out as dazed as you thought. She probably understood you because you heard that all too familiar chuckle.

 

 

“You have the prettiest laugh, did you know that?” For some reason you couldn’t control the things coming out of your mouth, maybe the ball finally killed your remaining brain cells.

 

 

“I’m glad you like my laugh unnie but I’ll need to take you to the clinic first okay? Your nose is bleeding and we need to get that bruise checked.”

 

 

“Okay.” You blearily agree while trying to grasp onto your remaining consciousness. Suddenly you felt your body being lifted completely from the ground. You instinctively wrap your arms around Juyeon’s neck and keep your face nuzzled into her neck.

 

 

“You smell nice, how come you still smell nice even though you sweat a lot? It’s unfair Juyeonie.” Another chuckle and you could feel Juyeon start walking in a fast pace with you in tow.

 

 

“Thank you? I guess? The ball really did a number on your head huh? You sound drunk.”

 

 

“I’m saying the truth. It’s so frustrating how perfect you are. Did you know that everyone in campus is in love with you? You should really stop being like that.” You look up and give Juyeon a stern look to which she smiles at.

 

 

“What if I don’t need the whole school to love me? What if I only wanted one person’s attention?” You may be feeling lightheaded but you still understood everything she said.

 

 

“Then that person was the luckiest human being on earth.” You say dejectedly.

 

 

“Nah, I’m the lucky one.” Wow whoever this person was really won the lottery with Juyeon. Well nothing you can do now that you were technically rejected, better as well support her as much as you can.

 

 

“Can you describe her to me? Maybe I could help you out.”

 

 

“She’s small and has the prettiest face but you can’t let those looks deceive you. She can look innocent but has the sharpest tongue and mind.”

 

 

“She sounds weird.” You feel Juyeon chuckle and her steps slow down to a walk instead of a jog, you were getting closer to the clinic.

 

“That’s because she is. Thing is though, this person is so dense that she still doesn’t notice me up till this moment.”

 

 

“Well that’s really stupid of her then.”

 

 

“Yeah she’s really stupid to the point that she doesn’t even realize she’s insulting herself.”

 

 

“Wait what?” But you don’t get to protest anymore as she sits you on the bed and the nurse comes in between to stop you from bleeding out. Juyeon steps back and winks in your direction before you’re enveloped in a series of head trauma checks and lights directed in your eyes.

 

-

 

After what seemed like forever, nurse Cheng Xiao finally deems you clear and lets you go. All that’s left with you as you walk out of the clinic is a broken dignity and an ice pack.

 

 

“Hey weird girl.” You don’t even get to turn around fully as Juyeon lifts you up and spins you around despite your screams of protest.

 

 

“Juyeon let me down!” She doesn’t put you down but stops spinning at least. “Do you want me to have permanent brain damage or something?” You look down at Juyeon’s grinning face and give her a scowl in return.

 

 

“I thought we already established that you were stupid?” Her grin widens and you realize your proximity. She was holding you tightly and your heads were really close to each other. Suppressing a blush wasn’t even possible anymore.

 

 

“So have you guessed who this lucky girl is already or do I have to describe her more?” She asks with a smirk. Hell two can play in that game.

 

 

“Maybe you should. I did just have another concussion courtesy of you again, head’s kind of foggy.”

 

 

“Or maybe I should just screw it all and ask her out already.” You unintentionally take a swallow before tightening your hold around the taller girl’s neck.

 

 

“I think she’d really like that.” You say in a soft voice only Juyeon would be able to hear.

 

 

“Luda, be my girlfriend.”

 

 

There it was, the phrase you never thought you’d ever hear from the captain. Maybe this was just a dream and you were still bleeding out on the soccer field after all. But one look at Juyeon’s face sobers you up immediately, this wasn’t a dream. Maybe Juyeon was never a distant dream after all.

 

 

“I’ll think about it.” You smirk as Juyeon whines.

 

 

“You seriously decide to be a jerk right no-“ She doesn’t finish her sentence as you lean down and shut her up with your lips instead.

 

 

Finally knowing how it feels like to kiss Son Juyeon beats every imagination you’ve ever had. You momentarily forget that you were still in school and anyone could see you two right now but everything be damned, you were finally kissing the girl you liked and nothing could stop you.

 

 

“Yes.” You break away after what felt like an eternity but was mere seconds and stay close leaning your forehead on hers.

 

 

“You’re insufferable you know that?” She chuckles and you lean in for another kiss until she breaks the moment. “And you haven’t grown even half an inch during the time we were apart.”

 

 

You don’t get to have proper revenge as she drops you back on the floor and runs away. Of course the only logical thing to do was to sprint after her too. Guess running after each other was going to stay as a usual occurrence for you two.  

 

 

The chase ends with Juyeon stopping abruptly and holding you in her arms as you collide into her without any brakes. It was no problem, Juyeon was ready to catch you and you realized you didn’t even worry about getting hurt. How could you when all you felt around the taller girl was anything but harmful (except for the fact that she kicked a ball to your face twice now).

 

 

It all didn’t matter when you’re standing here now enveloped in her hug, her hand on your waist, her chin atop your head. Juyeon was simply a constant familiar.

 

-

This was supposed to be a warm up piece for me to get back into writing but alas, im still not in a good condition to write. I am so sorry for those who are waiting for an update from my other fics, I'm trying to get back into the zone I swear.

But i do hope you enjoyed this semi crack au, had fun writing it and it mainly came out of me rewatching some haikyuu eps.

If you wana see me shout about wjsn everyday I'm on twitter @shashakiseola