District One ; Luxury

배고픔 게임 // The Hunger Games

[[ For certain characters, I will be adjusting their age to fit the story. ]]

 

- District 1 is one of the wealthier districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items for the Capitol. Some of them include diamonds and most likely other precious gems. It seems that names in this district are names of precious items, which may be a reflection on their "glamorous" nature and demeanor. Children in District 1 seem to take pride in competing in the Games, and are among the group of tributes that band together to pick off the weak, called the Careers. -

 

   

 

The young boy looked at the man in front of him. “I…can’t do this, Hyung.”

 

   Lee Donghae ruffled the boy’s hair and sighed. “Listen to me. I’ve done it once, and I was just as wimpy as you are back then.”

“Hey. I’m not wimpy,” the boy said, pouting. “I’m just… thin. You should see how I dance, though—“

“And will dancing get you anywhere? Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. Seriously, I’ve been in your situation. My dad’s a policeman and he taught me to shoot a gun. And it didn’t help me that much in our district, but when it came to the arena… Where am I now? In front of you, being your mentor. You can do this…. Trust me on this, kiddo.”

The boy nodded and gave his mentor a cheeky grin. “Alright, but make sure to send me a lot of stuff, okay? I don’t want to even go near the Cornucopia.” He shuddered. “To be honest, I’m really nervous about this. I…don’t want to die yet. Maybe I should’ve let Junsu-hyung be the tribute instead and –“

The older man frowned. “And what, Kai? Sit back, while he does the fighting for you? Seriously, you need to grow up. You need to be a man!”

Kim Jong In gave a weak nod and faced the mirror in front of him. In just two days of training (and eating), he was able to put on some fat and muscle on his thin frame, making him look more sinewy. In reality, District 1 youth may be conditioned from birth to become tributes, but he isn’t one of them. He was planning to go to the Capitol someday, yes, but not in a coffin, or missing some parts. He was able to receive basic tribute training – no more, no less.

He would miss his place. The diamonds, the luxury, Sulli, the girl he wished to impress, but most of all, his family. His brother, Kim Jaejoong, promised to send him as many gifts as he could afford. Yet the gift he wanted most was to live a long life in the district he grew up in. Maybe, he wasn’t allowed to receive that yet. Maybe he had to fight for it first. Yet... Can he do it?

O-o-.-o-O

“And the female tribute is… Kwon Yu Ri!”

A tall girl walked to the stage set up in the square, her head held high confidently. She was BORN for this. To fight, to become a heroine…

The woman, named Kim Shin Yeong, looked at her with her kind brown eyes. “So, Yuri. Do you have anything to say about this very moment, a milestone in your life?”

The girl named Yuri smiled tightly and took the microphone from Shin Yeong’s hands. “Of course I do. I was destined to be here in front of you, to be your tribute. It’s the 80th Hunger Games already, and I intend to do my best. I’ll make you proud, everyone!”

“Well-chosen words, for someone who’s about to enter the slaughterhouse,” Shin Yeong joked. After all, it was a running gag for them for it has been a long time since a District 1 tribute won the games. Ever since the 75th Hunger Games, the Capitol was in disarray. Yet, it took them only a month to subdue everything and bring back the bloodthirst. It was very easy to sway the minds of the shallow Capitol people…

“…I do not like to think of it as manslaughter. For me, it’s fair game.” The crown ooh-ed at this statement. It’s been a while since someone brave enough was able to stand up and say that.

Shin Yeong gave a hearty laugh. “So you think you’ll be able to win, sweetheart? Can you survive the battle of the brawns and brains as well?”

Yuri smirked. “Let’s just say, I was born to play in the Hunger Games.”

 

District 1 Tributes:

Kim Jong In // Kai (EXO)

Kwon Yu Ri // Yuri (SNSD)