episode two: alley & cigarettes

breakfast at tiffany's (and bottles of bubbles)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPISODE TWO.
livin' in ruins of a palace within my dreams.
2220 words.

Working the same shift as his best friend was a real steal for Jaehyun. It doesn't happen all the time but with his right use of charm and the trust the manager puts on him, he managed to convince the manager to have Seulgi work the same shift as him. Jaehyun has been working on the convenience store inside the campus town for half a year though it wasn't a good pay, but it will do for him. He can study or do his homeworks when it's the dead of night behind the counters and it has been pretty chill most of the time. The elite class also rarely visits the convenience store for obvious reasons.

When Seulgi mentioned she needed a new part time job after quitting the job she had that was difficult for her to balance for her senior year, Jaehyun immediately referred the convenience store he was working for.

Jaehyun worked with a few faces from before behind the counter but having his best friend to work alongside with him wasn't a bore anymore for the male. And with the two of them working the same shift, their other best friend, Doyoung would always frequent the convenience store to hang out or just simply do his homework there.

The trio have been together since their freshman year while seulgi was in sophomore. Technically, Doyoung and Jaehyun have been best friends since highschool and after being admitted to the same university, they met Seulgi who was Jaehyun's friend and neighbor.

Seulgi spotting Jaehyun on their first day was a blessing in disguise as the older offered to help them get around the campus. Soon enough, the three of them started to spend time during their vacant. It may be an odd combination of a trio; Jaehyun and Doyoung who were a year lower than Seulgi, but it worked out for them.

Being in the same social class, interests and struggles - the trio's bond was strong, almost like real siblings looking for each other but they did drop the formalities between the three of them, as requested by Seulgi for a reason that she doesn't want to look older by other people.

Like a concerned big sister, Seulgi who was unconsciously taking the role for years, looks over at Doyoung with a frown. "You're going to tutor an elite?"

"Yes, Seulgi"

"I-"

"Like I said for the umpteenth time, I'll be fine. Stuck ups don't bother me. I just need the money" Doyoung sighs, as he finishes the cup of noodles while leaning against the counter.

It was almost 1am, and the convenience store rarely gets students by that time.

"Doyoung has a good record of staying unbothered by the elites" Jaehyun reminds, looking up from his textbook and laughs, his mind replaying the flashbacks when Doyoung had brush off multiple elite students like dust. Which, offended them, obviously.

"Right, of course" Seulgi finally laughs along in relief. "How can i forget? so who's the lucky elite to have your presence grace them?"

Like poison rolling off his tongue, Doyoung replies with so much distaste on his tone, "Park Sooyoung"

"Oh."

"Holy , man."

Doyoung's friends made it sound worse, and he can't blame them. Park sooyoung, or who was more known as Joy; was a Grade A , a Regina George incarnate and a spawn of satan.

So how did doyoung end up getting a job for the she devil that wears Prada? He was chosen by the head of the medicine department to tutor an elite with an outstanding pay - and Doyoung can't say no to a fair amount of cash. Even after finding out the devil he must work with, Doyoung just can’t let go of the amount of money he can earn.

Doyoung had a fair share of tolerating devils like Sooyoung, that he was confident and brave enough to take part of a suicidal task.

Exaggeration may be too much, but it was Park Sooyoung we were talking about.

As much as she hated being tutored by a low class, Sooyoung doesn't have any choice but to get help from a scholar - or more likely, she was forced to undergo tutoring despite how many times she refused to do so. She reasoned out that she can't be blamed for struggling in Mrs. Kwon’s boring class that she yawns every 5 seconds.

For Sooyoung, she had every reason to doze out from Mrs. Kwon's class. Dozing out from her class in sophomore year and struggling to maintain her grades, she ended up being under a scholar student's wing and that made Sooyoung's ego and pride deflate. She felt like she was below and God, she hated being beneath.

Might as well bury her once people find out she's being tutored by a scholar. Sooyoung had a reputation to maintain, especially when she has her eye on the #1 spot for the prettiest and most popular elite in campus.

She promised to herself and to her best friend, Yeri, that she has to claim the top throne of the food chain by the end of the year.

It was a must and not a task.

"Miss Park" Mrs. Kwon calls for Sooyoung's wondering attention.

Sooyoung snaps back from reality and sends the coldest glare to the professor before her, but the professor remains unshaken. Sooyoung silently sulks when her umpteenth attempt to intimidate the said professor doesn’t seem to work.

"This is Kim Doyoung. He's going to help you get through my course" Mrs. Kwon tightly smiles as she gestures the lanky figure standing beside Mrs. Kwon.

Sooyoung was too deep in her reverie that she did not notice the lanky guy has entered Mrs. Kwon's office. Sooyoung gave him a once over, scanning the lanky guy named doyoung, who was looking at her with a blank stare.

Ew, she thought as she assesses the guy's choice of fashion. A blue checkered polo tucked into a worn out jeans, paired with a beat up converse. Who the still does this style? sooyoung scrunches her nose further.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Kwon, I dont think Miss Park would like me to be her tutor because of the clothes I’m wearing" Doyoung suddenly speaks up in a monotone.

Sooyoung flushes a tint of red out of embarrassment. She did not expect the lanky nerd was straightforward and was bold enough to speak out his thoughts.

Mrs. Kwon lightly chuckles. "If she doesn’t like how you dressed then she just lost her chance of passing my class. After all, you're the best choice out there" Sooyoung swears she saw a quick smirk appeared on the professor's lips.

Sooyoung's jaw drops. She can't believe she's getting ganged up. "Whatever, let's just get this over with. I have no problems with Mister Kim being my tutor" Sooyoung says through gritted teeth.

"Great, Excellent, Perfect" mrs. seo clasps her hand together. "You may go now and discuss your schedule." She then turns to Doyoung. "Thank you so much for agreeing to this, Mister Kim. I know how senior year's going to be a difficult one yet, and yet you still agreed to this arrangement."

Doyoung nods. "It's a good pay. I can't turn that down."

He's blunt for a low class and Sooyoung can't help but stare. The male notices and looks at her with a raised brow.

"Miss Park. Give me your number so I can text you the details. I know you don't want to discuss this arrangement outside of this room"

He's too blunt.

"Right, give me your phone" Sooyoung mumbles in a flustered manner. She doesn't know why but something about Doyoung makes her fluster which was completely absurd. She does hope he doesn't notice her rattled state.

But someone did notice. Mrs. Kwon watches from her table, mirth dancing in her eyes as she watches the exchange between her two students, specifically how Sooyoung looks like a flustered mess before a scholar student.

Wendy stares at his brother in disbelief.

"What?" mark queries as he continues to chew his sandwich. His feet propped up on her sister's study table while his back was leaning against the chair. His nonchalance made Wendy's eye twitch.

"You're unbelievable." Wendy says in exasperation and gives him a pointed look. "And put your feet down, that's disgusting!"

Mark rolls his eyes but complies. "So, what do you want, sis?"

Mark looks around her sister's shared room with a senior who he never met. It was neat, as expected from his neat freak sister. Wendy's roommate must be really lucky. Mea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter