Who Am I?

PENTAkadabra!

CHANGGU POV 

I looked up at the sky but instead of seeing the blue cloudless sky, I saw glistening buildings that kissed the heavens. Gone are the romantic paths of those days I didn't want to forget.  

"What good are all of these riches if you have lost your humanity?" The people around me were glued to their phones or walking briskly as they zoom past their peers. There were no greetings exchanged and no smiles given. I was wearing a mask himself, hiding my smile from the gloomy people of this city. It wasn't because I was scared of being seen, it was more of because I was someone who can't be seen. 

Becoming a rookie singer was a means of survival for me. 
Who would have ever thought that becoming a singer was something that could help me hide in plain sight? If my teacher could see me now, she would be amazed. 

Who am I?  

To the many people in this time, I am Yeo Changgu. My real name is Yena, yep just Yena. I am not of this world and my family didn't carry a family name. No, that is wrong, my family chose to let go of our family name. But I am using it now again. Yeo as in 여. 

Our clans were once really powerful in Manchuria and the ancient lands that gave birth to the modern Korea. 

There were the Na Yeo, who were the ruling clan. The Beopchik Yeo were their main rival. The two factions have been trying to rule the clan for centuries. Our clan chooses a leader every time the clan elder dies. Often their sons get the leadership but it changes every hundred years or so. 

The Neo Yeo and the Gol Yeo were always switching their allegiance to whomever their family elder favors. The Neo Yeo made great followers to the clan elder while the Gol Yeo were known for the uncanny beauty of their family members. 

The clans all fought each other for favors and greed. But the family line I belonged to were more nomadic than the rest. We liked to live away from the clan and only come when called upon in dire situations. The Nameul Yeo would soon live up to their name "the remaining" when the family lines began to dwindle. 

Now only the Nameul Yeo remains, nomadic as ever but connected. We hide amongst the many Kim's and Lee's of this peninsula and the continent where our bloodline came from. The other Yeo's have only passed down their name but not their past formidable abilities. They lost them when the Great Elder punished them for what they did. Once in a while a gifted child is born. But they have to be protected because the gift they are given comes with a curse. 

I am one of them, a child born with magic laced with a curse.

As a Nameul Yeo, I have to hide who I am. And the best disguise is to be a man. Because of one thing that the handphone-holding Korean would never believe in. 

Witch hunters.

========

Image inspiration 

source