Sparkly

Past of Perfect

"We acknowledge the next student for her outstanding contribution to the Track Team, Music Association, and Faculty of Science Student Association as well as the highest grade point average of the year, Zoe Reiss! Congratulations on graduating with a double diploma in Honours Physics and Biochemistry!"

Everyone's eyes were on the dark-haired girl in her grad attire strolling up to the podium accompanied by an unprecedented roar of applause. She was thin, with ordinary built, and mild features. One could not, however, miss the spark in her defined hazel eyes and slight curve of lips in a modest but warm smile. Really, it didn't matter how she'd looked then, she had every person's attention and respect.

Zoe received her diploma with a bow and collected her many awards. The audience continued their applause as they watched the sparkly girl hug her parents, friends, and a boy with flowers, presumably her boyfriend, at the stage exit and thank him for the bouquet. 

Needless to say, every girl, even the confident ones, in the room felt a moment of inferiority in comparison, and every boy in the room was speechlessly in awe. To them, in that moment, Zoe was an image of perfection, the quintessential of a protagonist in a story, and a winner in the race of life.

How was life so unfair? Some people always have everything and the strong only gets stronger. Many wondered then, how is possible for someone to become so perfect that she happens to meet every standard in the contemporary society of success. She also seemed easy going in personality as she chatted with her friends and family. She had everything, love and prestige, and probably a happy and bright future of freedom. 

 

 

A little girl in the front row blurted out, "You're like a shining princess! I wish I can become perfect like you when I grow up."

Zoe paused for a moment when she heard. Then she smiled and spoke gently to the girl, "I have no doubt that you will, in your own way, and do even better than me."

The little girl was completely mesmerized by her idol, but did she imagine it, or was Zoe's smile a little sad?

 

 

Cole opened the door to his midnight blue Audi R8. "C'mon Zoe, let's go celebrate. Whatever you want, it's on me today."

They chatted and laughed as Cole helped Zoe unload her bags of certificates, awards, flowers, and presents into the car. Everyone else tried their best not to form a crowd around them, but they couldn't help but stay around and watch the adorable couple a little longer, as if hoping their spark could rub off a little on the rest of them.

Finally, when everything was organized, Zoe and Cole waved goodbye to the crowd of people around them who failed to hide their admiration, and drove off.

For a while after they'd left, people were still admiring their sparkly image in their mind.

 

 

"Phew, that was hectic." Zoe leaned back in her seat and rowed down the window, once they'd started driving.

"Yeah, you must be tired. It was a long day for a few diplomas and certificates." Cole remarked. "I'm proud of you though. Very proud."

"Thanks." Zoe smiled as she watched buildings and trees whizz by outside the car window. 

Cole glanced at her. He knew, she'd often smile, but her eyes, though sparkly, were tired. 

 

 

Three years ago, April 21st, a rainy afternoon.

A girl sat slumped on her bed with her laptop in her lap. Besides the reflecting static from the screen, only dim light from the cloudy sky outside entered through the windows. 

The door to the room was locked. Zoe could hear her family's merry chatter and laughter from downstairs. The house was warm, but she felt cold.

She sat for a long time in that position, unmoving. She wore no expression, so that one could not see the stream of tears falling on the inside.

Her eyes were fixed on the words on her screen. It was an email. 

"The faculty has reviewed your academic standing and regret to inform you that we have assigned a failed standing. A failed standing requires that you discontinue your studies in the Faculty of Science."