Chapter 1

Kang Seulgi, At Your Service
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

It was a typical humid summer morning for Seulgi.

After finishing her first job for the day –preparing banana smoothies for her boss’ neighbor’s twin daughters–, Seulgi eventually returned to her so called boss Moonbyul’s unique service shop, an unexpectedly popular shop in the suburbs of Itaewon. 

Moonbyul was Seulgi’s best friend. Met her in college. Both of them are fine arts degree drop-outs. Seulgi, because of financial issues, Moonbyul, because she just felt that she’ll just do good with business. Moonbyul’s family has a known and fruitful farm business in the province, so money was not a problem of hers. She currently lives in Itaewon, together with her older brother, Eunkwang –Eunkwang hyung, as she calls him.

Opening the door plastered with huge posters displaying To Go Services in huge mustard yellow letters, Seulgi was welcomed by the presence of Moonbyul.

“Ooh, finally escaped the twins’ wrath huh?” Moonbyul teased at Seulgi’s arrival as she sat behind the shop’s front desk cutting her toenails.

There were no other employees on stand by for the morning. To Go Services is quite popular with the youth who’s lazy enough to do some of their trivial stuff. Seulgi’s coworkers, Wheein, Hwasa and Changsub are the ones responsible for those kinds of jobs. Meanwhile, all the older clients, grandmas, mothers, and most of Moonbyul’s neighbors are Seulgi’s.

Seulgi scanned the shop before plopping down the black leather couch in the waiting area with a huge sigh.

“Ya. Don’t you lie around my dear employee. Here’s your remaining work for today.” Moonbyul paused from what she’s doing and threw a crumpled piece of paper at Seulgi’s direction.

Catching the paper, Seulgi got up into a sitting position, uncrumpling the poor and innocent white paper.  “It’s only nine in the morning yet I feel like going home already.” Seulgi grumbled as she starts to scan the tasks she’s about to do.

­*

July 20, 2019 (Saturday)

CLIENT: KIM SEOKJIN

TIME: DELIVER BEFORE 1PM

ADDRESS: #24, HOENAMURO 41 ST. ITAEWON-DONG, YONGSAN-GU, SEOUL

Grocery Delivery for:

3 6-pcs. Nongshim Ramyeon pack. Any brand.

24 cans of beer. Any brand.

Sesame Oil

Oyster Sauce

Dumplings, 2 packs

Gochujang, 1kg

Ssamjang, 1kg

Pepero – Original Flavor

Lotte Choco Pie, 3 box

Toothpaste, any brand.

Bath soap, any brand.

Shampoo, any brand.

P.S. You decide on the quantity for those with none. It’s cause I’m not sure about the exact measures. Any brands for those random items will do too. It doesn’t matter how much you spend, just give me the receipt.

 

CLIENT: EUNKWANG HYUNG & ME, YOUR BOSS HAHA

TIME: 7PM

ADDRESS: #13, HOENAMURO 41 ST. ITAEWON-DONG, YONGSAN-GU, SEOUL

Feed our dogs for dinner, please J

*

 

“If only you’d get out of that erky tracksuit of yours. Come on, not only is it hot for summer. The issue here is you’ve been wearing that for a week already. Our clients might come to think it’s our shops uniform.” Moonbyul nagged, still cutting her nails, this time on her left toe.

“At least I take a shower every day.” Seulgi muttered under her breath.

“What did you say?” Moonbyul asked, trying to clarify the whisper-like response of her best friend.

“I was just saying….” Seulgi trailed.

“What?” Moonbyul finally glanced at Seulgi, finished with her toenail cutting job.

“That this is my first time seeing this Kim Seokjin person’s name and apparently he’s somewhat your neighbor?” Seulgi said slowly, thinking before speaking.

Moonbyul stood up and walked over to Seulgi’s reaching for the paper that she was still holding on her hand.

“Really? I didn’t know as well. He made the call last night. I didn’t notice the address in the mail order he sent though.”

Moonbyul looked at the crumpled request sheet with curiosity. It was also her first time seeing the neighbor slash client’s name. Remembering the row of posters she plastered on her house’s fence, it would be no wonder he learned of the shop through it.

“Boss-nim, can I get it back now? I don’t wanna screw up and lose that checklist.” Seulgi extended her hand at Byul’s direction.

Just as Byul’s handing the paper back to Seulgi, the shop door swung open signaled by the loud ringing of the wind chimes hanging by the door. Taeho, a tiny little guy just a little over 3 feet tall entered the shop followed by his mother, Kang Hanna.

“Seul Noona!” the boy ran across the room and jumped unto the couch to hug his aunt.

Seulgi hugged the boy back and ruffled his already fluffy hair all the while eyeing her older sister in that fitted business attire of hers enter the shop carrying a tote bag on her shoulder and several plastic bags containing food containers  on both of her hands.

 “What are you guys doing here?” Seulgi nudged Taeho who is now settling in a comfortable sitting position, earning nothing but a shrug from the clueless child.

Moonbyul turned to go to Hanna’s direction, still by the door, fixing her stuffs. “Let me help you with that unni.” Byul took the plastic bags and trudged back to the waiting area, placing the plastic bags on top of the coffee table.

“Thanks Byul.” Hanna smiled.

 “So? Any good news?” Seulgi asked her sister, gesturing towards her attire for the day.

“I got a call! It was after you left this morning.” Hanna beamed, clasping her hands close to her chest

“That’s great then! So, Taeho will be with me today?”

The little guy couldn’t care less about her aunt and mom’s conversation as he began taking out his toys from his cute little spiderman backpack.

“Yes, yes. I got to go now though. I don’t wanna be late.” Hanna took a look at her wristwatch before turning back, opening the shop’s door ready to leave. “By the way, that’s lunch for you guys. Give some to your coworkers too.” Hanna added, pointing at the plastic bags by the coffee table.

“I really gotta go. Bye!”

Moonbyul chuckled at seeing Seulgi’s older sister leave. “She seemed more excited when others would be nervous about it.”

“Noona, are you going to leave me here too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter