Final.

Super Best Friend

It's supposed to be fluff but I can't fluff for , so good luck trudging through this mess :D

If I can give it a theme song, I'd say this is kinda like...Ed Sheeran's Friends. Those who know will know ;)

 


 

Seulgi was confused.

 

Granted, according to the people around her, she always was.

 

She mixed up words sometimes, (economy to oconomy) and she could even get her name wrong at least once in her life (signing off her name as Moonbyul in vlive while trying to make Yooa notice her).

 

There were also the times when she would trip on her two legs and dropped things out of the blue, despite being known as the charismatic, nimble dancer she was.

 

Albeit her air headed-tendencies and constant clumsiness, Seulgi had always prided herself to be sensitive to the feelings of people closest to her.

 

For instance, she would know immediately if Irene was uncomfortable. The girl was an older sister by choice to her and Seulgi was attentive to her leader's needs, knowing that Irene would never complain of her discomfort without a little push.

 

When it came to Joy, she would be the first to notice whenever the cheery girl got upset. Seulgi knew Joy looked up to her a lot and felt awkward talking about her problems with Seulgi but she made sure that Joy knew her shoulder would be there if she ever needed a place to lean to.

 

Seulgi's lowkey favourite would be Yeri. It might not be that lowkey though, considering the fierce way Yeri shoved her affection for Seulgi in front of everyone, uninitiated (Yermsseul! Yermsseul!). Having no younger sister of her own, Yeri was Seulgi's equivalent of having a younger sibling - complete with the irritation and random bouts of fondness.

 

Now, came the reason for Seulgi's confusion.

 

Wendy. The other 94-liner in the group. Her best friend. Her soulmate. Her ex-roommate. Her perfect duet partner. Her voice of reason. Her cheesy counterpart. Her... Her...

 

Seulgi knew something was incomplete, but for the life of her, she did not know why.

 

Reading everyone else came naturally for her over the years they had spent together but Wendy was a different case. The more Seulgi learned about Wendy, the less she knew. There was an unending depth to Wendy that Seulgi never quite seem to be able to reach and that frustrated her to no end.

 

She decided to discuss about this with Irene, about how she felt like she was already Wendy's best friend but she never felt close enough to their main vocalist. Wendy rarely talked about her pain with Seulgi, albeit for the rare slip ups when she compared Korea to Canada or the times she bitterly talked about how people are slowly becoming desensitised to others' emotions – just because they had a screen between them.

 

Seulgi took these words possessively, guarding them safely in her heart because she knew Wendy rarely let her guards down. She explained this to Irene as well and the older girl's reactions were too minor for this very important concern, in Seulgi's humble opinion.

 

There was glint in Irene's eyes and her lips pressed into a knowing smile.

 

"I think this is a matter you should talk with Seungwan, Seulgi ya. She would've been upset if she knows that you think you're not important to her."

 

"No!" Seulgi half yelled, but quickly backpedalled when she saw Irene cocked an eyebrow threateningly. "I mean, I know I'm important to Wannie. It's just that... I want to be more? I'm not sure if I'm making sense, it's rather hard to explain. Have you ever felt that unnie?"

 

Irene hummed and the knowing smile made way once again, this time she spoke with a tinge of nostalgia.

 

"I surely do, not with Seungwan though. So, what do you want from her if being a best friend isn't enough for you?"

 

Irene threw a bait, trying to get the gears in Seulgi's brain to turn and arrive at the conclusion Irene herself had already made some time ago. The dancer was taken back slightly by the question and she fumbled, trying to find the answer in her cluttered brain, filled with Wendy.

 

Irene was right. Seulgi was already doing all the things best friends did with Wendy, so what was it that she wanted?

 

"I- I don't know. What's after best friend?" Seulgi frowned. "Soulmate? Like me and you, unnie?"

 

Irene tried her best to not roll her eyes. She did not want to hurt the innocent bear's feelings but Seulgi's cluelessness could be damn frustrating on some days, as endearing as it was most of the time.

 

"Yeah sure, you guys can be soulmates too. Or hey, maybe you want to be super best friend with her? That's definitely an upgrade from simply being best friends."

 

Sarcasm laced Irene's words, paired with the air quoted ‘Super Best Friend’ but bless Seulgi's pure heart, she completely missed it.

 

"That's it! I must want to be Wendy's super best friend! I mean she has a lot of best friends, you included, so I don't feel that special. No offense unnie." Seulgi quickly added before Irene pinched her. The older girl finally rolled her eyes at this. "I'll ask her if she wants to become super best friend with me, I'm sure I'll feel better afterwards."

 

Seulgi grasped Irene's hands, thankful that the other girl helped her to find the answer to the biggest question in her life currently. Irene wanted to give a snarky reply; the frustration she felt was only building up by Seulgi's enthusiasm but she let out a resigned sigh instead.

 

They would figure it out.

 

"Go on, Sseul. Seungwan should be back by now from meeting up with Sejeong. You should talk with her now."

 

Seulgi's smile dropped and a small frown formed on her forehead. Oh yes. Wendy was out meeting her other best friend. But as quickly as the frown appeared, it was dropped and a smile appeared once again. Irene was getting a headache out of watching the passionate bear.

 

"Okay, pray that it all works out and she agrees to become my super best friend unnie!"

 

Seulgi jumped away from Irene's bed, quickly heading to Wendy's room while Irene slowly got up and stretched.

 

She should make some popcorn and gathered Joy and Yeri as well. They would be mad at her if they missed the show.

 

*

 

Seulgi knocked on Wendy's door anxiously.

 

She knew Wendy was back; she checked the porch for the pair of Converse she had given Wendy months back and if that was not enough, she noticed the scent of Wendy's perfume lingering in the air around the living area. It was probably more creepy than sweet, but Seulgi was nervous and she needed to do something, anything to calm down.

 

The door creaked open and Wendy's head popped out. Wendy was smiling and Seulgi liked it a lot, so she grinned back at her best friend.

 

Until the thought that she was not the reason for Wendy's smile crossed her mind and her own smile faded away.

 

"Sseul, is everything okay?" Wendy asked, concern lined her words thickly. Seulgi nodded wordlessly, taking in all of Wendy as she opened the door wider. Wendy was wearing one of her nicer dresses, which she rarely did when she was with Seulgi. It was always pants and hoodie whenever they hang out, with the rare occasions of worn pajamas during their impromptu midnight trips to the convenience store.

 

"Yeah, I'm okay." Not really, but Seulgi wanted Wendy to keep her smile. "Can I come in?"

 

The door was opened wider and Wendy stepped back, a wordless invitation for Seulgi to enter her private space. Seulgi wandered it, noting how pristine Wendy's room was aside from her handbag that was carelessly thrown on her bed and an Olaf plush toy she had never seen before.

 

Seulgi quickly reached out and hugged the plush toy, squealing as she did so.

 

"Olaf! Where did you get this? We walked around everywhere in Itaewon to find this, but they don't have one this size."

 

Wendy looked at the girl rolling around on her bed, a fond smile slowly forming. She closed the door behind her - missing the figures that were creeping closer to her room silently - and sat on her bed.

 

"Sejeong got this for me. We were walking around and I saw the plushie, so I told her about how we were walking up and down the street to look for it the other day and she immediately bought it for me."

 

"Oh."

 

Seulgi let go of the plushie and sat straight, looking at Wendy while pouting. Wendy chuckled at the sudden change of attitude. She scooted closer to Seulgi and hugged her friend, resting her forehead on Seulgi's shoulder while Seulgi wrapped her arms around Wendy's waist - their default hugging stance when they are out of public's eyes.

 

"Are you jealous, Ddeulgi?"

 

Wendy's voice was low and it brought tingles behind Seulgi's neck. Helplessly, she murmured a single, "No."

 

At this, Wendy looked up and cocked an eyebrow, similar to what Irene did when she was questioning Seulgi. Seulgi unconsciously let out a sigh. Best friends do mirror each other’s mannerisms huh? She wondered what Wendy had picked up from Sejeong and from herself, and how many of Wendy remained through it all.

 

"It's just... I was supposed to buy Olaf for you. It was supposed to be our friend-versary gift from me."

 

Wendy chuckled at the cute pout forming on Seulgi's mouth. She leaned in closer to Seulgi's face and planted a kiss... on Seulgi's cheek, the way best friends would.

 

"I don't need any gifts, silly. You alone are enough for me."

 

"But Seungwan, you got me the best letter ever!" Seulgi exclaimed, bringing up The Letter incident once again and Wendy groaned, embarrassed to be reminded by one of the cheesiest things she had ever done in her life. "Honestly, I've received so many letters but that was the first time I cried so hard because. It. Was. Very. Lovely! I saw the efforts you put in to make the letter and I know no one else can love me like you do."

 

"Damn right no one else loves you like me." Wendy muttered under her breath and Seulgi perked up. This was the time.

 

"So, Seungwan. I'm wondering... I mean I've been talking to Joohyun unnie about, you know."

 

Inarticulate Seulgi struck once again. Wendy sat straighter, paying attention to Seulgi patiently as she waited for Seulgi to finish her words. Seulgi always found it hard to speak what was on her mind, even more so when it was close to her heart, but Wendy knew she would always wait no matter how long it took for Seulgi to say it.

 

"It's just that... We're best friends right, Wannie?" Wendy nodded, wondering where this was going. "But you also have a lot of best friends like Joohyun unnie, Sejeong, Zuho-"

 

"Sseul, you have more best friends than I do."

 

"That's not the point!"

 

"It's not?"

 

Wendy was amused when she saw Seulgi groaned in exasperation.

 

“The point is…” Seulgi drawled out her words. “I talked to Joohyun unnie about this and I’ve reached a conclusion.”

 

Wendy hummed, looking at Seulgi who was getting more nervous but also excited as she spoke.

 

“Conclusion?”

 

“Yes! I’ve decided that I don’t want to be just your best friend, Wendy. I want to be something more.” Wendy mouth fell agape and her eyes fell in shock. Could it be…

 

“I want to be your super best friend! So, will you do me the honour and be my only super best friend and vice versa?”

 

Wendy heard snickers in the distance and she wondered if it was her own mind laughing at her for putting herself in this predicament. She pressed both her palms to her forehead, hiding her face from Seulgi. Could this be a very elaborate prank crafted by Seulgi, assisted by Irene and masterminded by their very own pranker duo?

 

One look at Seulgi, and she knew Seulgi was serious by her earnest expression. She looked confused, exhilarated, nervous but confident - all at the same time if that was possible. It broke Wendy’s heart a little to say her next words but she hoped she made the right decision.

 

"No, Seulgi. I don't want to be your stupid super best friend"

 

"You don't?" Seulgi's smile turned small, hurt. Wendy opened , wanting to say more but she just let out a sigh. She leaned closer to the sulking girl and Seulgi looked up expectantly, hoping that Wendy would kiss her cheek the way she usually did whenever Seulgi got in her sulking mood.

 

She did get a kiss, alright.

 

But not where she expected.

 

Her hand flew to her lips and a loud gasp escaped . Did Wendy just...?

 

Seulgi trained her eyes to the flushing Wendy and suddenly, realisation dawned and the confusion clouding her head disappeared. Everything made sense now.

 

Seulgi was not afraid of losing her best friend status, she was jealous and afraid Wendy would find someone else besides her. It was not that she could not understand Wendy’s feelings; it was her own that she could not discern.

 

It was not that she wanted to be one of the special people in Wendy’s life,

 

she wanted to be the only one.

 

Seulgi had fallen in love with her best friend, and she did not even know it.

 

It took her a moment to get back to reality once again. Wendy was biting her lip, looking nervous and afraid although she was the one who initiated the kiss. They locked eyes for a few seconds.

 

Then Seulgi started to bark.

 

To be fair, it was supposed to be a jolly laugh meant to lighten the mood in the room. However, Seulgi’s mind was more muddled than she had expected and now even the simple act of laughing was beyond her. Wendy looked more crestfallen now and Seulgi’s heart sank. No, no. This was not how it should go. Wendy deserved a romantic dinner, a quiet night time walk under the moon and a sweet confession at the end of it all.

 

Not Seulgi awkwardly barking at her in her own room, trying (and failing) to express her emotions.

 

“You know what, I’m sorry, Seulgi. I think I’ve gotten the wrong idea; I thought what we had was mutual. That was silly of me. I’m really sorry, please just forget that I kis-”

 

Seulgi rushed forward to kiss Wendy, hoping that she could at least get this one thing right. Perhaps she did, because Wendy immediately shut up and wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s neck, deepening their kiss.

 

When they parted, both of them were blushing bright red and they looked at everywhere else in the room except at each other. Seulgi screamed in her mind, scolding herself for being such a coward before she mechanically reached out for Wendy’s hand, getting the girl’s full attention.

 

“Wannie. I-I don’t think I want you as my super best friend. Would you,” Seulgi reddened even more, but Wendy was grinning now, expectant of Seulgi’s next words, “like to be my girlfriend?”

 

Wendy breathed out a yes and they thought they heard shouts of triumph that sounded suspiciously like Irene’s and groans of defeats (their evil maknaes’) from outside the door. The new couple laughed, embarrassed yet happy, nonetheless.

 

Seulgi could finally say she found an answer to an important question in her life.

 

Wendy. The other 94-liner in the group. Her best friend. Her soulmate. Her ex-roommate. Her perfect duet partner. Her voice of reason. Her cheesy counterpart. Her girlfriend.

 

The love of her life.

THE END


 

Inspired by countless WenSeul moments that are just so, so, so sweet I wanna squish them always. My soft, precious winter babies. Did you see Seulgi crying at Redmare Toronto? And how she said she could've been closer to Wendy sooner if she studied in Canada? My heart :(((

 

If you didn't cry watching Red Velvet's final ment in Toronto, fite me. Lol jk, I didn't cry too but I was definitely more emotional than any other day. Tell me your favourite WenSeul moments in the comments and spread the digidigidib joy!