[1/1]

The Burden of a Leader
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"HASEUL! HYEJOO HID MY SHOES AGAIN!" An annoyed Sooyoung yelled from the front door as she couldn't find her jogging sneakers. She would always go out for a morning jog and now she was late because someone (Hyejoo) probably hid her sneakers.

"NUH-UH! IT WASN'T EVEN ME THIS TIME!" Hyejoo defended herself as she yelled back from the kitchen.

Just because she wants her bunk bed to fall on Sooyoung doesn't mean she's always messing with her. Hyejoo wishes she had more faith in her.... hiding her shoes was something she was planning on doing tomorrow!

And then a loud crash followed after.

Oh Lord. Something definitely broke. Hopefully something that wouldn't require getting a specialist to come. Their manager had almost fainted when they saw the bill for needing to repair some walls (Sooyoung), door hinges (Jungeun), the sewer system (Jinsol), and some broken windows (Hyejoo) all within the span of a month. Oh and did Haseul mention they also had to call an exterminator? She can thank Yerim for that one.

Freaking cockroaches. In their dorm. That Yerim had willingly brought into the apartment. But she didn't get those caged ones from the pet store, no. The crazy girl went out at night in the streets of Seoul with a reusable cup (Sooyoung's reusable cup that Jiwoo had gotten for her birthday. She almost killed Yerim then and there) and used that to catch cockroaches from the street. It had been the most disgusting thing Haseul had ever seen. Why couldn't she catch ladybugs or butterflies?

From the living room, the evil duo Jungeun and Jiwoo could be spotted giving each other a high five as they tried to control their laughter. Sure they could laugh at Sooyoung's misery all they wanted (it was their favorite past time) but there was just something else there. Their behavior screamed guilty when Haseul caught sight of how the same-age girls ditched their favorite show to see the reaction of the yyxy leader.

"Okay guys, joke's over. Give her back her shoes before she suffocates from holding her breath," Haseul spoke to them like a mom.

When Sooyoung got angry she would be so caught up in the emotion that she'd sometimes forget to breathe. Surprisingly Jinsol was certified in CPR (and Haseul liked to think it wasn't just an excuse to face with Sooyoung) and knew a little bit of first aid (after all the accidents she got into as a kid) so they luckily hadn't gotten any members sent to the hospital. 

Yet.

"Yes unnie," Jungeun and Jiwoo responded obediently yet sadly as they got up from the couch and went to do as told.

Next thing Haseul heard was another loud crash in the kitchen, but this time it a chorus of terrified yells followed. She hurried over there to see what had happened this time. As she expected, it was like a every possible natural disaster in existence had protounded in their kitchen.

"It's alive!" Chaewon shouted as Heejin went ahead and put out the evil creation in the oven with the fire extinguisher.

Hyunjin and Hyejoo were behind Chaewon with aprons and a lot of food on their face. Now that she got a good look, even the ceiling was entirely covered with food. Just what in the world were they trying to do? Paint the kitchen with chocolate?

"Can you four ever make a normal breakfast?" Haseul rubbed her temples. She might be coming down with a headache at this rate.

The four wannabe chefs turned to their leader. "We were trying to make the triple chocolate chip muffins we saw on TV the other night," Hyunjin explained innocently.

Leave it to Hyunjin to want to make something bread-related. Haseul wouldn't let it slip past her that this was probably all her idea in the first place. It had been the same thing with the strawberry sponge cake. The cursed day of the strawberry sponge cake. It had happened pre-yyxy era so the last four girls hadn't moved in yet. They other eight girls swore to never speak of the incident again. All Haseul will disclose was that the firefighters had to come.

"It's baking, not a science experiment. Clean this up and make real breakfast," Haseul was serious. You don't mess with the leader when she uses her serious tone.

"Yes unnie," all four spoke as they proceeded to clean up the mess they made.

"How did you even get chocolate on the ceiling?" Hyejoo elbowed Chaewon. It took everything within her not to hit the younger girl in the face with a frying pan.

"Shut up, that was Heejin." The youngest blonde said between gritted teeth.

"That was not me."

Haseul sighed as she headed for the bathroom to splash her face with some water. The had fixed the boiler right? Because even though it would be refreshing, she wasn't feeling using water from Antartica to wash up. One of Jinsol's figurines had gotten stuck. Like HOW do you get a whole gundam model inside a boiler?

She wasn't even halfway there when she heard a cry. Like someone actually crying from the other side of the dorm. It was coming from the bedrooms. Oh no, did someone finally get hurt for real? Where was Jinsol? Was there blood. Who was currently missing? Haseul was about to go into a full blown panic attack any second.

To aleviate some of her worry, their third youngest Yerim walked out looking completely heartbroken. It wasn't often that any of the girls (Yerim no less) cried so automatically Haseul was concerned. She was the personification of the sun. She was the sun's rays that shone through the window. Yerim invented smiling and positivity. WHY was she crying?

"Yerim-ah what's wrong?" The leader asked gently as she cupped the younger girl's face. She swiped her thumbs over her cheeks to wipe her tears away and Yerim only looked at the older girl with glossy eyes.

She hiccuped and sniffed before she gave her a broken answer. "Yeojin b-broke my hair brush," Yerim spoke in between sobs as she tried to calm down.

Oh no. Not her hair brush. Yerim adored that old and worn out excuse of a hair tool. She had had it for years claiming that it brought her good luck or something. It obviously didn't but it was her superstition and all the girls respected it. So then why had Yeojin crossed that boundary and broken Yerim's precious possession?

"IM YEOJIN! COME OUT HERE THIS INSTANT!!" Haseul called for her with her full name.

The girl called didn't show herself alone. Vivi walked out pulling Yeojin by her wrist. The leader looked at the pair curiously. Was Vivi involved too?

"Vivi-unnie, what are you doing dragging Yeojin with you?" Haseul asked her softly, she didn't want to accuse her of anything yet. Meanwhile Yerim was still sniffing sadly to the side.

Vivi motioned for Yeojin to do something with a stern look and the youngest member looked down at the ground, not being able to look at the leader or the crying girl in the eyes.

"I was going to take Yerim-unnie's brush just for a little while. I have a test tomorrow so I wanted to see if it could bring me good luck. But Vivi-unnie tried to stop me by trying to wrestle the brush out of my hands. The brush then slipped out of my grip as we pulled back and forth and I accidentally tripped and stepped on the brush," Yeojin confessed.

Haseul crossed her arms in disapproval. "Vivi-unnie you're the oldest here too. You should've known better than to fight with Yeojin," Haseul scolded. "You two owe Yerim an apology."

"I'm really sorry, sunshine, " Vivi apologized. Yeojin then looked up at Yerim, "I'm sorry Yerim-unnie. I'll buy you a new brush so please forgive me," she looked at the older girl apologetically. "I know it won't be the same but I really didn't mean it. This is all my fault."

Yerim was devastated, all the things her brush made her accomplish. But then, just maybe it hadn't been the brush. Maybe she could try and do things without relying on physical objects as a charm. She knew Yeojin didn't do it on purpose and she'd never stay mad at her for long. 

She nodded and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She understood, accidents happen and that's okay. The three made up with a hug. Haseul went ahead and patted Yeojin on the head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter