Chapter One: The Sadness That I Kept

Last Chance To Love

“Passengers, this is your captain speaking, Please fastened your seatbelt for will be landing shortly and I’m pleased to welcome you all to Jeju island, South Korea. Kamsahamnida.” 

The captain of the plane voice out as it filled the entire room.

“Miss, wake up and please remove your earphone” the female cabin crew said as she wakes up the young lady that sats near the window.

The young lady woke up and immediately remove her earphone as she said sorry to the female cabin crew then she looks out the window and saw a beautiful island slowly uncovering behind the clouds.

“Wow!!! It’s been 10 years seen I last saw my parents hometown and indeed Jeju is still beautiful.” The young lady talks out softly to herself as she looks at the view infront of her.

In few minutes the plane safely landed and all passengers went out and walks straight to the arrival area.

“Ahh~ The familiar smell of fresh air.” The young lady said as she took a deep inhale and exhale of jeju air as she step out in the automatic glass door of the arrival area.

The young lady walks as she looks around and tried to find a sign board where here name is written on when suddenly someone called out her named.

“Park Sooyoung” an old couple called out and waved at the young lady as soon as they saw her and the young lady seen and approaches them.

“Grandma, grandpa. I miss you a lot.” Sooyoung said as soon as she went to them and give one of them a tight hug.

“It’s really good to see you, our dear sooyoungie~” Grandpa Soonjae said as she pats Sooyoung’s head.

“Our only granddaughter Sooyoungie, growing up so prettily.” Grandma Heejung said as she pats Sooyoung’s both cheeks softly then Sooyoung fixed her glasses as she looks at her with gentleness in her eyes.

Grandpa Soonjae senses that anytime now Sooyoung will start to cry so to prevent it he butted in between the two.

“Looks like Sooyoung is hungry already so Let’s go home.” Grandpa Soonjae said causing Sooyoung to looks at him and nodded back as she touch her stomach making Grandma Heejung smiled at her cute gesture.

Sooyoung was about to hold her luggage when Grandpa Soonjae grabs it before she did, “Let me carry it for you.” Grandpa Soonjae said and place the luggage on his right side as he holds the handle.

“But Grandpa...” Sooyoung protested and Grandpa Soonjae interrupts her talking, “Its Alright, I’m still strong and I’ll just pull it after all not carrying it.” Grandpa cleared it out as he makes gesture of him being strong.

“Ok, grandpa.” Sooyoung blurt out and the three walks on then Sooyoung links her both arms side to side to her grandparents with a sweet smile on her face and the three went home.

————————

Hangyeong-myeon, jeju province

“Welcome home, Sooyoung” Grandpa Soonjae and Grandma Heejung said in chorus as they step inside the house.

Sooyoung went in a bit later and saw the inside of the house, she took steps closer and roam every room/section in it while her grandparents looks at her admiringly.

“It’s still the same house that I always imagined.” Sooyoung blurted out as she stood infront of her grandparents with a wide smile on her face.

“I think you will love your room even more.” Grandma Heejung told that makes Sooyoung wonders in excitement and makes a gesture saying to go now.

The three went to the left side section of the house wherein a closed door can be seen in the center. Sooyoung stood infront of the door facing her grandparents while pointing the door like a kid then her grandparents nodded back.

Sooyoung opens the door and saw a dream-like room that she always wanted, she roams in awe as she looks every detailed design on it.

“Your grandpa and I put our best to make it just like you want it ever since your last stay in here when you are only 6 years old.” Grandma Heejung said as she stood at the door then Grandpa Soonjae step inside and placed Sooyoung luggage beside her cabinet.

“Do you like it?” Grandpa Soonjae asks as he waits for Sooyoung to face them. 

Sooyoung turns around with a serious face written on her as she walks towards them, stood still and looks at them.

“I don’t like it because I super Love it. Thank you so much grandpa and grandma.” Sooyoung blurted out in joy and jumps a little like a child causing her grandparents in surprise because of her.

“Only for our sweet granddaughter.” Grandpa Soonjae pointed out as he smiled at Sooyoung adorableness.

“Sooyoung, you can take a rest or place your things first its up to you dear. Your grandpa and I will prepare our dinner. Will call you if its time to eat.” Grandma Heejung told as she grabbed Grandpa Soonjae’s hand and leave Sooyoung at her room.

After placing her things and take a minute rest, Sooyoung went to the dinning area to help out her grandparents preparing their dinner.

“What can I help, grandma?” Sooyoung asks as she saw her grandparents placing foods on the table.

“It’s alright dear were almost finished.” Grandma Heejung said as she place the last dish on the table.

“Let’s eat” Grandpa Soonjae blurted out as he looks the food sets on the table.

The 3 take their seats and started eating, Sooyoung eats all the food prepared on the table for its all her favorites, Sooyoung loves Grandma Heejung cooked food and she will definitely eats every last grain of it and she didn’t even care if she get fat if she ever be.

In the middle of their dinner, Grandma Heejung started a conversation by asking Sooyoung ‘How’s China’ and ‘How is she there’.

Sooyoung swallowed her food before answering grandma Heejung question to her.

“China is great, I’ve met some good friends in school, our neighborhood are very friendly and the food their is delicious but nothing compares to grandma’s cooked food, right grandpa?” Sooyoung said as she looks at Grandpa Soonjae with a proud look on her face making Grandpa Soonjae agreed to her by noding back.

“How are you now?” Grandma Heejung asks cautiously as she looks at her grand daughter.

Sooyoung’s parents are both died in a plane crash were her parents are going for their business trip to Taiwan and it’s almost 2 months already since that accident happens.

After the incident, Sooyoung live by herself in their now empty house where she keeps on moving forward by continuing her studies, doing some part-time job at a convenience store for her allowance and daily needs even though both her parents save enough money on the bank that can sustain for her school tuition and even on her daily needs. 

After hearing the accidents and lost their only daughter Lee Jiah, Grandma Heejung and Grandpa Soonjae decided to bring back Sooyoung in their arms to take care of her now.

“I’m doing good, grandma and grandpa. Don’t worry about me, I know Eomma and Appa are happy now and besides I’m Park Sooyoung, your only grand daughter that is always strong.” Sooyoung said assuring both her grandparents as she showed her sweet smile to them causing the old couple to looks at her genuinely.

“Grandpa Soonjae, could you please pass the egg roll?” Sooyoung blurted out as she moves her chopstick to get it making Grandpa Soonjae to move it closer to her reach as he looks at Sooyoung picking up a piece of egg roll then Grandpa Soonjae looks at Grandma Heejung who had a worried face written on her as she looks at Sooyoung.

“Heejung dear, Would you refill another rice for our Sooyoung?” Grandpa Soonjae said as he taps on her right shoulder causing Grandma Heejung to look at him as Grandpa Soonjae nodded back.

“Of course, dear” Grandma Heejung blurted out and took the bowl of Sooyoung.

“I love how our Sooyoung eats well.” Grandma Heejung said as she pats Sooyoung cheek gently making Sooyoung smiled and continues her eating.

——————————

After washing the dishes, Sooyoung went to the sala where she sees both her grandparents watching a drama then she seated between them and ended up hugging both of their arms.

“What are you watching grandma,grandpa?” Sooyoung asks as she lay her head on Grandma Heejung.

“King of baking, Kim Tak Goo” Grandpa Soonjae answered as his focus is on the television. 

Sooyoung nodded as she glimpse on the drama series then Grandma Heejung patted her thigh softly.

“Sooyoung, you can go to your room first and get enough sleep. Your grandpa and I will rest after this drama.” Grandma Heejung said then Sooyoung looks at her and nodded back.

Sooyoung stood up then hug her grandparents and went to her room.

———————

Sooyoung lays on her bed as she looks at the ceiling for a seconds then she gets up and took something on her drawer then takes a sit on her bed.

“It’s been a while since I open you.” Sooyoung said as she opens her journal then a picture  fell off, she get it and saw that it was a picture taken on her recent birthday along with her parents. 

It was the last picture of Sooyoung with her parents and it might be the last that she will celebrate her birthday with them.

“I miss you both so much” Sooyoung blurted out in a soft voice were she tried to hold back of her tears to fall down as she caress the picture of her parents.

Sooyoung put it at the last page of her journal as she sighed heavily and composed her self then she went back to where she stopped writing on it.

‘Don’t worry eomma and appa, I’ll keep on moving forward. Fighting Park Sooyoung’ Sooyoung thought as she cheered to herself and adjusted her glasses then she started writing again on her journal.

———————

*kringgg...kringgg* 

Sooyoung flinched a little on the sound of her clock as it stops then she opens her eyes and gets her glasses on the table beside her bed and put it on. 

Sooyoung seated still and saw that  a little ray of sun shines passed through her window, she rise up and went to it and opens her window fully as she looks at the view in front of her.

“Start of a new day, Park Sooyoung” Sooyoung blurted out as she absorbed the good vibes and energy coming from the beautiful environment infront of her as she smiled joyfully.

Sooyoung went out to her room and went downstair then she smelled something delicious coming from the dining area, Sooyoung went in and saw the table full of food then Grandma Heejung shows up as she is holding a bowl of rice and placed it on the table.

“Good morning Sooyoungie, your just in time for breakfast,” Grandma Heejung said as she saw Sooyoung approaching her.

“Good morning Grandma, Why is their so many food in the table? Do we have an early visitor?” Sooyoung asks as she take a good look on the table full of food then Grandpa Soonjae came and answered Sooyoung question instead.

“No dear Sooyoung, you grandma is just excited for this is the first day that you will be living with us.” Grandpa Soonjae said as he takes his seat causing Grandma Heejung to glared at him dearly then looks at Sooyoung and gestured her to take a seat.

As the three enjoyed their food, Grandma Heejung suddenly asks Sooyoung about taking up her college in here.

“Sooyoung dear, I know it is early to ask but what are your plan for your schooling in here and what course will you be taking up?” Grandma Heejung asks as she looks at Sooyoung causing Grandpa Soonjae to looks at her direction too.

Sooyoung swallowed her food and take a sip on her milk then she looks at her grandparents as they were waiting for her reply.

“I’ll take entrance examination around colleges here in Jeju and I’m taking up nursing as my course.” Sooyoung answered directly as she waits for her grandparents reaction.

After a seconds, Grandma Heejung and Grandpa Soonjae look at one another then turns to Sooyoung.

“So I’ll be expecting a future nurse in our family.” Grandpa Soonjae said as he pats Sooyoung head gently then plastered a warm smile to her making Sooyoung to smile genuinely.

“If that’s what our dear sooyoung wants to be then were here to support and guide you all the way.” Grandma Heejung said with a smile as she caress Sooyoung right hand causing Sooyoung to gazed at her dearly.

“Thank you Grandma and Grandpa. I’ll promise and do my best in my study so that you can be proud of me.” Sooyoung said as she both hold their hands making her grandparents looks at her dearly.

“We are already proud of you dear especially your parents.” Grandma Heejung said in assurance then Grandpa Soonjae nodded in agreement causing Sooyoung to plastered her sweet smile to them.

————————

“Sooyoung dear, were going out to the market to buy some food and stuff. Would you like to come along?” Grandpa Soonjae  asks as he stood at the door waiting for Grandma Heejung who get the eco bag at the kitchen area.

Sooyoung was about to answer when Grandma Heejung came and gave the eco bag to Grandpa Soonjae to carry along.

“Soonjae, let Sooyoung rest for today. Right, Sooyoungie?” Grandma Heejung said as she turns to look at Sooyoung then she nodded back.

“Alright, Sooyoung take good care of the house.” Grandpa Soonjae said with a bit of sadness plastered in his face for he wants to show Sooyoung what Hangyeong-myeon market looks like.

Sooyoung sense the disappointment of Grandpa Soonjae when he talked.

“I’ll come along next time.” Sooyoung blurted out causing Grandpa Soonjae to smile at her then so does Grandma Heejung.

Sooyoung grandparents bid goodbye as they went in the car where Grandpa Soonjae will be driving and off they went to the market.

————————

After her grandparents left, Sooyoung decided to roam the house for she didn’t get enough time to see it thoroughly. As she walks around the house, Sooyoung spotted a door at the back and then a smile suddenly plastered on her face.

Sooyoung went closer to it excitedly for she already know what’s behind that door, she opens it and a beautiful garden welcomes her.

Sooyoung went outside as she goes for a walk into it. She began to scan the area reminiscing every memory in it then she saw a swing seat and decided to take a break.

Sooyoung takes her seat then the wooden chair slightly move then she take it to a swing slowly. As the chair swings, Sooyoung hold up her phone and plug her earphone then she started listen to her playlist.

(Playing: Tuzi Ya - Slow motion of happiness)

Sooyoung leans on the chair as she loose herself for once then memories of her parents went through her and she slowly closes her eyes.

Flashback

“Eomma? Appa?” A seven year old Sooyoung shouted as she went downstair to look for her parents for she was awake from her afternoon nap.

Sooyoung keeps on shouting her parents name all around the house and saw no one in here then she keeps on looking for them. As sooyoung looking for them, she saw an open door at the back and went through it.

Sooyoung takes a walk then she saw a two familliar figure sitting on a wooden swing seat and hurriedly runs to them.

“Eomma! Appa!” Sooyoung cried out as she went closer to her parents.

Jiah and Jungbum saw their daughter as she runs to them then Jungbum holds her crying daughter through his arms causing Sooyoung to cry harder making Jiah to wipe her tears.

“Why our little princess crying?” Jungbum asks as he holds her daughter infront of him as Sooyoung seated on his father lap then she started to calm down.

“I *sob* thought *sob* appa and eomma *sob* leave me *sob*” Sooyoung answered in between her sobbing voice then Jungbum smiled at her silly daughter.

“Sooyoung dear, we will never leave you and that’s a promise from me and your appa.” Jiah assured Sooyoung as she comforts her daughter with a warm smile plastered on her face.

Sooyoung composed her speaking voice as she looks at her parents then she holds up her pinky finger.

“Promise~” Sooyoung blurted out as she wipe her almost dry tears on her cheeks. 

Jungbum and Jiah looks at their loving daughter and a smile shows on their face.

“We promise~” Jiah and Jungbum said as they tangled their pinky finger to their daughter.

End of flashback

Sooyoung opens her eyes slowly then a tear fell on her cheek as she felt the wind breeze brush into her.

“Eomma, Appa, I really miss you both so much.” Sooyoung blurted out in her soft voice.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Character(s):

 Park Sooyoung         

   Lee Soonjae (Sooyoung Grandpa)  

  Choi Heejung (Sooyoung Grandma)           

   Lee Jiah (Sooyoung Eomma)

  Park Jungbum (Sooyoung Appa)