The One and Only You

The One and Only You
Please log in to read the full chapter

The One and Only You

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

Seulgi never knew how much one incident would change her life, until one did.

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

"Seulgi..."

 

Someone was calling her.

 

"Seulgi!"

 

They sounded so familiar.

 

"Oh thank goodness you're awake, my baby." a woman said, looking down at her with tears streaming down her face. She tried to open to say something, but only rasps came out.

 

"Oh baby, don't speak, it's okay. Just rest, okay?" the woman began caressing her face and smiled fondly at her.

 

When she had recovered enough to speak, she finally asked the question that made more tears fall from the eyes of the woman who stayed by her side every single day, telling her again and again that she couldn't wait till Seulgi was well enough so that they could go home and so she could cook Seulgi her favorite meal.

 

"Who are you?"

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

Prosopagnosia. It was a condition that resulted from the damage caused to her temporal lobe in that car accident. To put it simply, she couldn't recognize faces anymore.

 

But there were other things she could recognize.

 

"Seulgi!" a voice rang out before a body rammed into hers. A girl looked up at her, and her face was so clear yet so blurry.

 

But that voice.

 

"Thank goodness you're okay, oh my god." the girl then wrapped her arms around her neck and buried her face into her shoulder.

 

This scent.

 

"H-hyun?" the girl giggled tearfully before pulling away.

 

That sound.

 

"Yes, silly, it's me." the girl then leaned up and planted a firm kiss on her unsuspecting lips.

 

This feeling.

 

"H-hyun..."

 

This person.

 

"What's wrong, Seul?" the girl's expression changed, but Seulgi didn't understand what it meant.

 

But she knew this person.

 

"H-hyun." Seulgi found herself saying before she wrapped herself around the smaller girl, taking in that comforting lavender scent.

 

"Hey, baby, you're okay. You're okay." a hand in her hair, kisses against her head, an arm around her waist.

 

God this was all so familiar.

 

She knew this person, and she also knew the feeling that blossomed in her chest as this person whispered soft words into her ear and rocked her back and forth.

 

"I love you, Seul."

 

Yes, she loved this person.

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

She couldn't tell Joohyun she had developed this condition. What if Joohyun thought of her differently because of it? What if she didn't love her the same because of it? She couldn't bear the thought of losing the older girl.

 

True to her words, her mother had cooked Seulgi her favorite meal when she was discharged from the hospital. When she had gotten home, two taller individuals enveloped her in a tight hug, their voices so distinct in Seulgi's ears.

 

"Dad, Sooyoung..." she said before she started crying.

 

Her father, her mother, her sister... she couldn't recognize their faces anymore. She would stare at her father's face as he read the paper every morning; stare at her mother's face when the woman was taking her daily nap; stare at her sister's face from across the room while she slept.

 

But no, she didn't recognize them. How could that be? Her parents raised her! She grew up with her sister! How could she not recognize their faces?

 

But they took it one step at a time, and Seulgi grew to recognize them. The way they walked, they way they held themselves, their voices, even their hair, she recognized them all.

 

(Sooyoung cut her hair short in the hopes that it'd make it easier for Seulgi to recognize her. It really didn't because there were probably hundreds of tall, short haired women in South Korea, but Seulgi appreciated the gesture.)

 

She knew it would be hard to do this for everyone at school, but she played it off as well as she could. She did recognize the little things. Her sister never tucked her shirt in her skirt; her sister's friend, Yeri, had knee length socks with pink rims and had blonde highlights in her hair; she would recognize them this way.

 

But her girlfriend was different.

 

She knew everything about her.

 

Joohyun always tucked her shirt in and buttoned her blazer up; she had plain black crew socks; she walked in a regal manner, anywhere she went; her hands with petite and delicate, her nails maintained at short length; her dark hair cupped her face perfectly and fell in waves around her shoulders. And her voice... Seulgi could never mistaken it.

 

"Seul!" Seulgi heard from behind her. She turned around to wrap her arms around the incoming body before kissing her girlfriend firmly. God, she really loved this person. "How's your day been?" Joohyun leaned into Seulgi's form, and Seulgi buried her nose in the older girl's hair.

 

Lavender.

 

"It's been okay. Mr. Lee assigned a whole bunch of work today, though." Joohyun giggled, and when Seulgi saw that she was looking at her, Seulgi pouted knowing the older girl would kiss her. She did.

 

"You'll be okay. I know none of the work is actually hard, Seul." she said, her tone telling Seulgi that the older girl would catch her if she lied.

 

"I know it's not, by why all the busy work? It's not like we learn anything substantial. I learn more from his lectures than those worksheets." Seulgi rolled her eyes, earning another giggle from her girlfriend.

 

"You speak so highly of his lectures."

 

"Must say a lot about those worksheets, huh?"

 

"Yeah." Joohyun said before leaning into Seulgi again and laughing. Seulgi lived for that laugh.

 

They stood that way for the rest of break, Seulgi making it her mission to make her girlfriend laugh so she could hear those high pitch bursts of laughter again and again. Occasionally people would pass by to talk to Joohyun, and Seulgi stayed as quiet as possible so they wouldn't drag her into the conversation, for it was likely to be someone she knew, but she didn't know them.

 

At the end of break, they kissed multiple times, not wanting to separate. But Joohyun took the initiative as the eldest of the two and playfully pushed Seulgi towards her class (Seulgi had to grab Joohyun again to kiss her before she really let the older girl go). A couple minutes later, Seulgi got a text from an unknown number.

 

Unknown [10:22] Babe, I know I just saw you, but can we meet up at our normal spot? During next break?

 

Seulgi didn't think much of it. Maybe Joohyun was using her friend's phone. Joohyun's phone was never the best quality, after all, so maybe it wasn't working.

 

Seulgi [10:23] Sure, Hyun. See you there <3

 

Joohyun didn't send a heart back to her like she ritually did, but Seulgi figured since it was on someone else's phone, she didn't want to. Or maybe the person took their phone back already.

 

It didn't matter too much to Seulgi. She just knows she had to meet her girlfriend during breakl.

So here Seulgi was, in a little corner behind the school, and leaning against a wall as she waited for her girlfriend. When she heard footsteps approaching, she looked up excitedly for her girlfriend.

 

"Hyun, you're here!" she said with a smile, but the older girl didn't respond. She frowned before looking the figure up and down. This is Joohyun, right? "Hyun? What's wrong?" but the figure approached carefully without a word. "Hyun?" the figure then stopped before her and looked up at her. "Hyun?" the faceless figure then brought their arms up and brought her in for a kiss. She felt the tickle of manicured nails, and the scent of lavender was completely absent.

 

That was when she knew, this isn't Hyun.

 

"Y-yah!" Seulgi shoved the other person away, eyes shaking. I got played. I got used. "W-who are you?" the other person giggled in response.

 

Not Hyun, not Hyun.

 

"Did you like that, Seulgi? Better than Joohyun, huh?" the voice asked seductively.

 

"S-stop... w-who are you?" Seulgi put arms up to separate herself from the body that keeps getting closer to her. Her eyes scanned the figure up and down, trying to identify them in some way, but to no avail.

 

"Just someone who's going to take you away from that ." the other person emphasized sharply before going back to a more sultry tone. "You deserve so much better, Seul."

 

"P-please don't call me that." her mind couldn't process all of this at the same time.

 

"Why not? The calls you that." but that she heard loud and clear.

 

"Ya." Seulgi shoved the girl far from her, wary that she'd approach her again. "I don't care who you are, but don't you ever badmouth Joohyun again. And if you expect me to choose someone like you over her, then you're in way over your head." Seulgi waited in silence before the person laughed, making sure to kiss Seulgi quickly before running off.

 

Seulgi let out a shaky sigh before her legs turned to jelly, and she fell to the ground. She blinked at hot tears that started trailing down her cheeks, and she pressed her palms against her eyes till they turned sore.

 

She hated this feeling. She hated this feeling of being used, and not being able to do anything about it because she had no idea who was running circles around her.

 

She threw her head back and immediately regretted it because her head just smacked stone. She looked up at the sky and wished she could see faces as clearly as she saw the blue expanse that was dotted with white balls of fluff.

 

If it wasn't for that accident...

 

No, stop. Negative thoughts won't help you.

 

Seulgi sighed before getting up and wiping her tears, fixing herself up as best she could before she went back out.

 

I need to find Hyun...

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

There was clamoring within the classroom when Joohyun entered. She was used to the stares she received from those who admired or envied her beauty, but something told the ravenette that this was different. The stares didn't feel the same. But it wasn't until her seatmate whispered, "I'm sorry" to her that she recognized something bad had happened.

 

"What do you mean?" she asked, concerned about what could have occured.

 

"Y-you didn't hear?" Joohyun shook her head, and

Please log in to read the full chapter