Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors

“Keep still, Jungkook!” Haewon reprimands, the idol smiling sheepishly as he turns to face the mirror again, going still for a moment, but not two minutes later he’s turning his head again, as though he doesn’t even realise he’s doing it. Haewon looks in the direction he’s looking to see what has captured his attention so intensely, but she doesn’t see anything unusual; Eunjung is doing Yoongi’s hair a little ways beside them while said man sits calmly with his eyes closed, probably trying to get some much needed shut-eye—unlike the menace she’s currently dealing with. She doesn’t understand why Jungkook is so drawn to the scene there though, it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

“Almost done, Jungkook,” she says, turning Jungkook’s face back to her. “Close your eyes for me.”

The boy does as he’s asked and Haewon adds the finishing touches to his makeup. He glances at Yoongi once more once she’s finished, but then makes his way over to where Taehyung and Seokjin are standing, making some kind of acrostic poem as they wait for the other members to finish getting ready.

Haewon looks away and organises the make up she’d been using for Jungkook. She hears Eunjung wake Yoongi up beside her and looks up to see the idol stretch before looking around for the members, joining the three at the other end of the room. She notes Jungkook beaming at him briefly before shrinking it into a smaller smile, but doesn’t think anything of it.

 

-

 

She’s finishing up Seokjin’s makeup when Jungkook bounds up to them, armed with his camera. She stops what she’s doing, leaning away as Jungkook proceeds to shove the camera in Seokjin’s face, the elder of the two groaning in annoyance but quickly changing his attitude and giving the camera a kiss.

“Ah, you’re gonna dirty my lens,” Jungkook complains pouting briefly but the smile returning quickly on his face while he checks his camera for smudges. He brings it close to one eye, mouth falling into a small ‘o’ shape as he inspects it closely.

“Nonsense, I couldn’t dirty anything, I’m too handsome.” Seokjin places a hand under his face to frame it, looking off into the distance as he showcases said handsomeness to an inattentive Jungkook. “If anything, my touch would improve it. Blessed by the one and only Worldwide Handsome.”

“Aish,” Jungkook shakes his head, “This hyung.”

With that, he’s off again, no doubt to annoy some other member. Haewon just shakes her head and picks up her makeup brush again to get back to work on Seokjin. It doesn’t take long, so then she’s looking around the crowded room for Yoongi, who’s makeup she’s also in charge of today. She spots him sitting on the other side of the room, Jungkook by his side with his camera in hand though Yoongi’s looking in the opposite direction to it. Both of them have smiles plastered on their faces.

Haewon collects the things she needs and heads over to them instead of calling him over. He straightens his slouched posture a little as she sets the makeup equipment down, smile falling a little, but Jungkook just says “Suga-hyung,” in a tiny voice with a tiny grin and it returns in an instant.

Jungkook giggles, camera still rolling on Yoongi.

Haewon just lets out a small sigh at their antics, shaking her head slightly as she applies foundation to Yoongi’s face.

Only, it’s extremely difficult with Jungkook hovering right next to them with his camera and constant interfering which keeps distracting Yoongi, making him laugh.

“He’ll be done a lot quicker if you let me do my job,” Haewon comments, and Jungkook shrinks away a little, shy.

It doesn’t last.

All seven of them are such a handful, she doesn’t know how they ever manage to get anything done.

Jungkook slides onto the small sofa, pressing into Yoongi’s side as he holds his camera out and switches it to selfie mode, capturing himself and Yoongi with it. Haewon leans back so her face is in the shot as little as possible, but carries on, applying a tiny bit of glittery highlight to Yoongi’s cheekbones. Yoongi’s eyes are lowered, making his eyelashes fan out across the top of them prettily. Jungkook seems to notice too.

“Wow, so pretty!” he whispers to the camera, “Look at my little fairy.”

Yoongi’s looks up as his nose scrunches a little due to the small pout forming on his lips.

Jungkook giggles again and turns towards him, leaning even closer, but abruptly stops. He suddenly shifts a little further away from his hyung and resumes filming silently as Haewon starts on the soft, shimmery pink eyeshadow. He keeps filming until she’s done, and then some more, not once moving the camera to film something else, or another member. It’s seems slightly odd, but the boys are always doing random and weird things, so she’s learnt to ignore most of it.

 

-

 

The boys are pretty much all ready, so Haewon has nothing to do for the minute. She’s just chatting with Eunjung and Jinwoo, when something catches her eye. It’s not anything particularly out of the ordinary, per se, but with the little moments she’s been noticing repeatedly throughout this comeback season, it grabs her attention. Jungkook and Yoongi are standing by themselves, Yoongi leaning back against the wall with a steady smile on his face, Jungkook with his hand pressed to the wall just above Yoongi’s shoulder.

It’s not unusual for Jungkook to be talking with the members, but normally before a show, Yoongi would be either napping or scrolling through whatever it is he scrolls through on his phone by himself, so this along with the other small things she’s noticed just… strikes her as odd. Intriguing.

“...Haewon? Haewon, are you listening?”

“Huh?”

Jinwoo chuckles, shaking his head as Eunjung scowls at the realisation that Haewon hadn’t heard a word she said.

“Sorry,” Haewon says shyly. She glances back at the pair by the wall. Come to think of it, Jungkook is leaning really close to Yoongi, and the elder doesn’t seem phased by it at all, still smiling even while he speaks, using his hands to gesture as he does. She turns her attention back to the two stylists, deciding it’s not her business. “What were you guys saying then?”

 

-

 

“Haewon, can you get me the clothes steamer please?” one of the stylists calls, probably because Haewon is the only one not doing anything pressing at that moment.

“Sure, one sec~” she calls back, heading into the next room to the closet where it’s kept.

She’s not really paying attention, otherwise she probably would have heard noise, but she’s greeted with an… unexpected sight upon opening the closet. Yoongi almost crashes to the floor along with a bunch of other supplies with how fast he yanks himself away from Jungkook, while Jungkook is frozen still, staring at Haewon with wide eyes.

Their lips had most definitely been locked not even half a second ago. They had been kissing. Not just that, Haewon is sure she saw Jungkook’s hand on Yoongi’s thigh in the brief glimpse she got before the elder had scrambled away, and Yoongi’s hands on Jungkook’s waist. Not to mention both of their hair is a total mess. (That didn’t bode well for her and the other stylists’ jobs, though at least the stage wasn’t immediately upon them; they had a bit of time to sort it out.)

There’s about a three second pause where everyone just stares at each other, standing stock still in shock, before Jungkook clears his throat, Yoongi starts speaking, and Haewon starts saying something all at once. They all stop again, creating round two of awkward silence.

“I’m just gonna,” Haewon says slowly, eyes locating the steamer behind Yoongi. She steps into the closet to get it, side-stepping in between them, and it’s possibly one of the most awkward situations she’s ever been in.

“Get this,” she finishes her sentence once it’s in her hands. She bows at them both, clumsily backing out of the closet and walking away as though she hadn’t seen anything at all.

She smiles to herself once she's back in the other room. She knew her intuition that something had changed between those two recently wasn't wrong.

But she respects their privacy and doesn't mention it to anyone, not even to them.

Not even when later they both rush into the room with hastily fixed hair and crumpled clothes (do they have no mercy on the stylists?), nor when Jungkook's face flushes bright red upon seeing her again (making her job as his makeup stylist very difficult), and not when she catches them exchanging the briefest of kisses in the corner behind a clothes rack where they must have thought no one could see them, before they headed out with the other members with fingers entwined.