"Always"

Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"A package for Mark Tuan, 102 Hannam-dong."

Mark stood, holding his apartment's door open, waiting for the delivery man to finish checking if he got to the correct address, written on the card he's holding.

"Yes?" He asked, in a slightly annoyed tone. He has his hands full for today.

For the whole of this day, Mark has done nothing but stay inside his single room unit apartment, and type like a mad man on his laptop, finishing his term paper which he needs to submit tomorrow. Mark didn't know studying computer science would be this stressful. He is now on his third year and he's barely holding up. Anyway, the rest of his blockmates also don't. Maybe this is normal, considering they're near towards the end of this semester.

The delivery guy then handed him a box which is not necessarily big, but he wonders what is inside it. And besides, he is not expecting any package from anyone. Although he is living away from his parents who are in his hometown back in LA, they rarely send him things. Often times, it just happens during special occasions. Today is just a normal day. Why will he receive a package?

"Please sign here, sir." 

Mark did all the signing he needs to do for the delivery guy to go his way. 

When he closed the door, Mark walked back to the dining table where he was working his off since this morning. It's almost dinner time and he's still not done. Sitting down, Mark studies the box. It has his name and address written on it. 

Now, Mark knows he has a lot to do, and he has less than five hours before midnight but, let him just say that his curiosity got the better of him. Sure, he could check the package's content some other time, but there's something which wills Mark to open and check it now. What would he lose anyway aside from his precious time?

Tearing up the package's cover, Mark sees a small envelope taped on top of the box. To Mark... he read. From Jinyoung... as he read that familiar name, his mind automatically recalled those late afternoon encounters he had with the raven haired boy. Mark refuses to acknowledge the fact that his hands were shaking as he inhaled and opened the envelope where a handwritten letter is.

Hi Mark. 

How have you been? I hope you're doing good. I hope for nothing else. I decided to give you a small gift. Something which I held special for years, since the day when we first met. Inside the box, is a music player. It has seven songs, all of which holds a special meaning. It aims to tell you, what I have failed to. Seven songs. Play one for each day, each day when you go to our place, our special place.

Don't be stubborn. Please. And I am hoping that you'll listen to what I have to say.

 

Mark just sat there, not able to think clearly after reading what he just read. 

Three years. Three long years and Jinyoung went and sent him this letter? Shaking his head, Mark opened the box and did see the player which Jinyoung talked about in his letter. It is also the same player which the latter always brought with him years ago. 

"How could he?" Mark asked himself, smiling a faint smile. "Why would he?"

Mark wanted to say that Jinyoung must be crazy for doing this, and asking Mark to do what he just asked for. Shaking his head once more, Mark opened his drawer and kept the player inside it, along with Jinyoung's letter.

 

 

Monday.

 

Mark opened the door, and went inside the classroom. 

How long has it been? His eyes scanned the empty classroom which he used to go to, every single day for months in his last year in high school. Memories. Those are all they are.

He walked further, at the end of the classroom. It's a good thing the school guard let him inside the campus, since he is an alumni and he proved that by showing his i.d. Mark stopped when he reached the window, where a warm ray of late afternoon sunlight passes through the glass. Heaving a deep breath, Mark pulled the window up to open it, allowing him to climb up and sit on the ledge. He fixed his gaze on the empty field which used to be the school's soccer field before the administrators made a new one. 

Mark sat, his hands gripping on the sill to prevent him from falling, his feet dangling below, his heel tapping on the building's wall. He is four floors up from the school grounds. Good thing he never feared heights. Same with the guy he met here years ago...

Heaving another deep breath, Mark opened his backpack and got the music player.

After thinking, and thinking yet again, Mark decided to give this a chance... to give himself a chance. He doesn't know why Jinyoung sent him his music player, and why he wants him to listen to any of the songs he has put inside the player. Mark doesn't know.

But Jinyoung asked... and silly him, Mark can't find it in himself to not follow.

Putting his earphones in, Mark pressed play. 

 

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

0:15 ──⊙───── 3:55

[You Are My Everything - Gummy]

 

From the first time, it's you

The one person who comes to me

Even a soft brush, my eyes tell all

I hope we're not like the wind

Just a passing coincidence

I was a fool for not telling you, I couldn't do it...

 

It started one afternoon.

Mark doesn't want to attend chemistry.  Well, who would? That subject is racking his brains out and to top it off, their fifty-five year old professor enjoys calling him during recitation when it's clearer than day that he is not paying attention in anything that the old man has discussed. And so he skipped class and searched for a place where he could find peace. 

Luckily, he found an empty room at the far end building, on the fifth floor. Rooms aren't locked in the campus so it was easy for Mark to go inside. The room is similar with that of their homeroom. There's a lot of unused arm chairs so Mark made himself comfortable by sitting on one, at the back of the classroom. 

He was just about to sleep when he heard something. It came from the window so he turned to look at it and only then did he see a raven haired guy, sitting on the ledge, one foot out the window, and one foot in. He looks like he's in his own world, with earphones plugged in both ears. He looks so peaceful and calm... and beautiful too. Mark hasn't done anything yet, but the guy's eyes fluttered open, and turned his head towards his direction. How those deep set brown eyes stared at him, caught Mark off-guard. Okay, he has decided that the guy is certainly beautiful. 

"I.. I just..." Mark stuttered and he hates himself for stuttering in front of the stranger. "I heard something so I... checked." He looked at the hand of the guy which he heard tapping the sill a while ago. 

The guy took off his earphone. "Oh. I'm sorry. Did I scare you?" Mark shook his head. "I was just, too lost in what I was listening to."

"No, it's okay." Mark said, waving his hands but realizing he's doing it excessively so he just put his hands in his pants' pocket. He cleared his throat. "I just thought there was no one here, but there is. I should apologize for disturbing." He even bowed. "I'll just go and look for an empty room."

"You could stay." Mark was stopped by the guy's words. He could? Clearly, the guy came here first. And judging by how he comfortably sat on the window ledge despite the fact that they're on the fifth floor, Mark could say the guy must be frequently doing that. Clearly, this is the guy's spot. He should leave but... "It's okay. This room is big enough for the two of us anyway."

"Well... okay." Mark just said which earned a smile from the raven haired.

But he didn't expect when the guy lend his hand out for him to take. "Jinyoung."

Hoping his hand won't shake, Mark took the latter's hand and shook it. "Mark." He said smiling back.

They spent an hour at the back of the empty classroom, in silence. Mark tried to sleep as he planned earlier, and Jinyoung just continued listening to his music player. Stealing glances at the guy who has his eyes closed... Mark starts to wonder what he is listening to.

 

You are my everything, 

Just like a shooting star

It was fate that I met you

In my frozen heart, I only have one love...

You are my everything

 

 

Tuesday.

 

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

0:13 ──⊙───── 3:50

[Do You Know - Lee Jong Suk]

 

I can only see you, do you know this heart?

My heart tells me that you have come to me

Everything in this world shows me your scent

I have closed my eyes

My happiness is only you

 

It was another afternoon.

Mark went inside the classroom once again, eyes searching, and smiles when he finds him at the same spot. Sitting on the ledge, one foot in, and one foot out the window. His eyes are closed, immersed on whatever he's listening to, Mark figures as he stared at him. 

Slowly, Mark walked towards the window, carefully approaching, not wanting to bother Jinyoung. But before he could, Jinyoung's eyes fluttered open and already took notice of him. There was recognition in those brown eyes, before he saw them crinkling as the guy smiled at him. "Mark." 

"Hey, Jinyoung." Mark greeted, maybe a lot livelier than he ever greeted someone. "Can I?" He asked, pointing his lips at the space beside Jinyoung. When the latter nodded, Mark pulled himself up and sat on the ledge across Jinyoung. 

Jinyoung changed his position and copied Mark. Now they're both facing the wide soccer field. Both their feets are dangling beneath them but neither of them is bothered by the fact that they're on the fifth floor. 

"What brought you here again?" Jinyoung asked him.

"You always go here too. Why are you even asking?"

Jinyoung shrugged. "I always spend my afternoon here since my last class ends at three." The younger said a matter of factly. "Meanwhile, grade 12 students have class until 4:30." Mark gulped. "So why are you skipping classes?"

"I... I just..." Mark bit his tongue to stop himself from stuttering like a guilty child. "I just wanted to... try and listen to your music." That made Jinyoung laugh and Mark could almost feel his cheeks as they flustered. He was about to cover them when Jinyoung suddenly handed him the other earphone.

"You didn't need to skip class for that." Jinyoung said while smiling, and Mark almost forgot how to blink. "You only needed to ask."

Mark sat still as Jinyoung put the earphone on his ear, himself. 

 

"Close your eyes, just listen."

 

Smile all you want today

You are that kind of preciousness

All the words in my heart only want you

Again today, I close my eyes

My happiness is only you

Do you know this happiness?

 

 

Wednesday.

 

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

0:05 ──⊙───── 3:37

[It'd Be Good - Roy Kim]

 

My heart is fluttering, it feels good

Softly spreading is your scented breath

Even if it's late, it's alright

Because it's you for me anyway

Step by step, slowly

You knock on my heart...

 

"I really thought I would be sent to detention!" Mark said, laughing out loud, hand over his stomach.

He is telling Jinyoung what happened a while ago during p.e. class and he hit his classmate's head with a soccer ball. It was purely unintentional, he made that one clear to Jinyoung because the younger was already glaring at him upon the mention of him hitting someone unconscious. Jinyoung doesn't want him getting into trouble, it of any kind. That is also why Jinyoung made an agreement with him about their time of meeting here at their place.

Jinyoung is still in tenth grade, while Mark is already on his last year in highschool. Like what Jinyoung has said, his class ends at 4:30, while Jinyoung's ends at 3. The kind and understanding person that Jinyoung is, said he'll be the one to adjust and wait for the older until his last class ends. Jinyoung basically made him promise to never skip Chemistry again and Mark can't say no to the guy. Jinyoung and his effect on him, really.

"Careful or you might fall over." Jinyoung said as he kept a hand on the small of his back. Mark stopped laughing and just smiled.

"You care for me too much." He said as a joke, but Jinyoung rolled his eyes heavenwards. 

"Of course I do."

Mark wasn't able to react.

It's been more than a month since they first met and started hanging out in this same spot. But they rarely talk or joke about these things. And hearing this from Jinyoung and how the younger can freely say it, makes his heart thump hard. 

Jinyoung has these sincere eyes, directed at him. Mark has to snap himself out in order to talk and answer back, but before he could, they both heard the sound of tapping heels approaching the room they are currently in.

Both of them have their eyes widening in panic. But Jinyoung put his finger on his lips, shushing him. Reaching for his hand, Jinyoung tugged on him and they both jumped down from the ledge and ducked to hide behind the stack of armchairs. Just then, a professor went in and scanned the room briefly through her eyeglass. Seeing the room empty, the professor left and closed the door.

Only then were they both able to breathe a sigh of relief. That was close. It was a good thing Jinyoung was able to tug on him and they both hid fast. They were almost caught! Although they weren't cutting classes, well, students are also not allowed to stay in empty classrooms on their own. 

"Your laugh was so loud. You almost got us caught." Jinyoung told him but was laughing.

Mark could only muster an awkward smile. 

Because all his thoughts were wrapped around the thought of Jinyoung's hand, gently holding his.

 

I miss you more right now

Even though you're next to me, I miss you

My fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter