Worlds Collide

Masked: Who Are You?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the first day of classes and college senior Miyawaki Sakura is bored out of her mind. All her statistics professor has been doing is going over the syllabus. Sakura let out a big yawn.


‘I’m so dumb, it’s my last year here and I should’ve known not to come because this is all he was gonna do anyways.’


Class eventually ends and she remembers something.


‘Arghh, I still haven’t stocked up on food yet for the dorm,’ she curses at herself for not doing this earlier.


She takes a quick trip to the grocery store, buying mostly snacks, canned goods, and non-perishables. The life of a college student.


After paying for her items, she exits the store. She makes her way back home, going the usual route.


-bzzzzz-


“Ah! The new gacha event is here!” she says as she pulls out her phone.


She’s excited about the latest event for her mobile RPG game, “Heroes on the Horizon.”


Her eyes are glued to her phone to the point that she’s not even paying attention to her surroundings. The buildings shift and it looks like the amount of darkness makes it look like it’s 3am, when it’s only midday.


“Dammit, I wasted all my jewels on this and I didn’t even get anything good, they were all 3 stars!”


Letting out an exasperated sigh, she pockets her phone and decides to take a look up.


“What the hell…?”


She’s in the middle of dark alleyway, even though Sakura knows for sure that this is the usual way back to the dorm. She’s been going this way thousands of times already, how could she get lost?


Deciding that the only way out is to keep moving forward, she does so.


-meow-
 

“Oh! A kitty!”


Sakura absolutely adores cats and she’s never met a mean cat in her life. She remembers she bought some canned tuna and opens it out for the stray cat.


The alley cat stares at the tuna in her outstretched hand before moving its head to look at Sakura, its bright blue eyes piercing into her soul.


Suddenly, the cat hisses at Sakura and bites her right hand with its sharp teeth.


“! ! WHAT THE !” she shouts in pain as the tin can of tuna drops to the ground and rolls away.


She grabs the plastic bag filled with groceries and starts running to escape the back alley.


‘What the hell was wrong with that cat?’


She makes it out of the alleyway and starts seeing familiar buildings that are close to her college.


A few minutes into walking and she starts to get a little woozy, her whole body is starting to feel like it’s on fire, like it’s about to explode, and she’s starting to see things in black and white.


‘W-what’s happening to me…?’


‘Yena…’


She remembers that her friend Yena’s apartment is nearby and so she staggers over there.


‘I hope she’s at home this time…’


She makes it to her door.


-knock knock knock-


Luckily for her, Yena answers by opening the door.


“Sakur-OH MY GOD! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!?”


Her veins are pulsing blue, about to burst out of her skin, with her eyes an abnormal color of blue, along with her skin being discolored to a light shade of blue. She was just so blue, as she was sweating profusely.


“I-I-I, c-c-ca-”


Before she can finish her sentence, Sakura passes out in Yena’s arms.


“-KURA! SAKURA!”


-hours pass-


-beep-


-beep-


-beep-


Sakura jolts up from a resting position and makes a strange noise as she examines her surroundings. The room is stark white, and looks to be some kind of combination between a hospital room and a laboratory, with medical equipment and research stations throughout the room.


She sees a lady with her back turned. She’s wearing a white uniform that resembles a dress. After she’s done preparing whatever she was doing, she turns around to face Sakura.


Sakura gets a better look at her pretty face.


‘Is she...an angel?’


The woman is surprised to see Sakura up.


“Oh! You’re finally awake.”


Sakura furrows her eyebrows together and asks, “W-where am I? Who are you? What do you want with me?”


The woman gives her a kind smile and assures her, “Don’t worry, you’re in a safe place I promise. We won’t do anything to hurt you.  And as for my name...you can call me Asklepios.”


Still a bit unsure, Sakura asks, “Why am I here though? What even happened to me? All I remember is...some cat...and-”


“You fainted and your body had an adverse reaction to something...rather mysterious. Some strange form of energy. Luckily, your friend was able to bring you here.”


“My friend…?”


Before Asklepios can answer her question, the main doors slide open with a hiss. A figure in a bright yellow suit walks in. They look like they could be a Power Ranger.


“SPD?!?”


Asklepios says, “Ah, you’re just in time. She just woke up.”


“Ah, okay then.”


Sakura eyes widen in shock and confusion.


“W-why is the hero, SPD, here??”


SPD laughs at her, “Ahhh...I should’ve told you this a while ago, but I might as well do it now…”


SPD takes off their helmet. Sakura holds her breath as she sees this.


“YENA?!??”


Yena nervously chuckles, “Hehehe, ummm...surprise?”


“WAIT...YOU'RE SPD?!?


Looking playfully offended, Yena puts a hand to her chest and says, “What? You think I would never be a superhero? I’m hurt, Sakura.” She pretends to cry a bit.


Sakura looks down at her legs, “I-it’s just...I’ve known you for a few years now...and I just find out now? And I can’t believe I never noticed before.”


Yena scratches the back of her head and says, “pshhh Sakura, you know that you’re the first civilian I’ve ever told about this? The only other people that know are my family and other heroes. And yeah I can’t believe you never noticed, how do you think I always got to class so fast?”


Sakura rolls her eyes at this. She then remembers her question, “Wait, Yena, do you know why I’m here?”


“Wellll…you kinda passed out at my doorstep and I’ve seen this happen only once before, but I brought you here just to make sure.”


“Make sure of what?”


Asklepios turns to face her and says, “To make sure if you have superpowers.”


“S-s-su-WHAT?!?”


Asklepios explains, “We’ve been doing some tests on your blood and there seems to be a high concentration of meta energy inside your body. You’re lucky we were able to sedate your body and give you a serum that controls that energy. SPD here said that your body looked like in was about to explode with all the pent up energy inside you.”


Sakura is trying to process all this information all at once and is feeling overwhelmed.


“But...ME? P-powers?? How does that even happen, I thought you had to born with powers.”


“Well, yes, it is true that a superpowered parent can pass on powers to their offspring, and this is rather rare, as the likelihood of it happening is about 5%. An example of this is SPD, or Yena, as you know her as. What is even more rare is two superpowered parents passing on powers to their offspring. While the genetics do increase the chances of having powers, the relatively small amount of superpowered humans in the world makes it very unlikely for two of them to be together, as they usually end up with a civilian. There have only been a handful of beings born from two superpowered parents, and their cases are highly documented by researchers,” Asklepios answers.


She takes a breath and continues, “But sometimes, a normal human can develop powers due to unforeseen circumstances. We’ve usually seen freak accidents from getting caught in a natural disaster, surviving from exposure to toxic waste, or they were some weird scientists and decided to test on themse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter