OOIII

Hidden, Many a Time.

”Shut up! You know, I want nothing more than to scratch your eyes out right now, you piece-of-!”

Wonyoung didn’t expect this from the usually happy-go-lucky girl known as Ahn Yujin’s best friend for life. In fact, she didn’t expect this from anyone even remotely associated with Ahn Yujin, probably one of the most peaceful girls Wonyoung had ever met.

”I told you! That crazy bastard always goes for me first! Psycho .” The girl being held back by Kim Minju (whom Wonyoung had breifly encountered during an endorsement meeting for her company) was clad in a stylish, expensive looking leather jacket, an almost fresh packet of cigarettes hanging on for dear life onto threads of her slightly ripped pocket. Another girl, slightly off to the side of the smoker, had her head in her hands, as if this was a daily occurrence and she was mildly embarrassed for both of the aggressors.

”Excuse me, but may I ask what’s going on here? We came to play a game, did we not?” Wonyoung spoke, her voice glowing in the air with so much authority and confidence that the entire scruffle turned to a halt, and the ten girls surrounding faced her with shock. She knows some of them.

Kim Minju, obviously. One of the most beautiful people alive. Wonyoung believed she was related to Ahn Yujin through their love of art, though she could have been wrong.

Jo Yuri. The girl that Choi Yena was hopelessly in love with. Wonyoung vaguely recalls Ahn Yujin developing a friendship with her during their time in high school while trying to set the pair up, though Yena was too scared to even process a full sentence in front of her.

Choi Yena, Ahn Yujin’s closest and most trusted friend in the whole world. Also, a coward. 

And Kang Hyewon. Usually mute, she spent most of her time either with a therapist or at home. Wonyoung knew her quite well. 

The others she didn’t know at all. But nothing’s to say she wasn’t intrigued.

”This...This mongrel! Why is she here? Why the are you here?!” Yena yelled. Her spit flew with anger across the room, landing horrifically close to smoker’s Dr. Marten boots, and possibly burning the floor with fiery rage. 

“I’m here because I got invited, dip. Just because you blame me for your social tragedies doesn’t mean Yujin does too!” 

Ah.

Wonyoung was familiar. 

Kim Chaewon. Though, she’s changed quite a lot. She used to be quite a reserved, smart child. Top of the class in everything. Yes, beautiful, but too shy to show it. She was part of the trio that everyone knew; Ahn Yujin, Choi Yena and Kim Chaewon. They had been best friends for years, up until Yena’s final year in high school. No-one know what had happened, but suddenly the trio disbanded and Yujin would constantly be shuffling between the two. Chaewon gradually removed herself completely and the trio became a pair, much to Yujin’s dispair. And Wonyoung’s. That was probably the last time they had a civil conversation. In high school. 

“Jo Yuri. Did you know that Miss -You over here blamed me for her idiocy? Did you know she blamed me for the fact that she couldn’t talk to you?” Kim Chaewon yelled, grabbing the box of cigarettes from her pocket, taking one out, ready to light. Jo Yuri shook her head, completely confused. 

“Kim Chaewon-ssi, I think it’s best if you smoke that outside. And Choi Yena-ssi, please take some time to calm down. The game will begin soon.” Wonyoung spoke, ending the argument before things took a turn for the worst and innocent people (namely poor Jo Yuri) became more involved than they didn’t know they were. She watched as Chaewon stormed outside with a huff, and Choi Yena slammed her hand angrily against the wall, then groaned at the impact. She walked over to the older idiot (who was now clutching her palm in pain) and stood next to her, leaning on the wall behind them.

”You know, fighting with her won’t change anything. It probably isn’t wise to have enemies before the game even starts.”  She mumbled, turning her face to meet the still fierce eyes of her friends’ friend, one that she had ignored for a long time at that.

”I’m sorry, Wonyoung, but you don’t really have much of a place to talk about things like this. It was you who cut every single person off as soon as you left school, was it not?” Wonyoung frowned, but kept silent. Yena was right, and she knew it.

”Look, I appreciate your advice. I just don’t think the best advice could come from you, looking at the history, or almost lack of, that you have with every person in this room. Yujin invited you for a reason, yes. But I doubt that reason was to make friends.” Wonyoung lowered her head in defeat, turning away and staring at her shoes. She felt Yena stand away from the wall, and heard her toes tip-tap away in a short rhythm.

”Yena-ssi?” The rhythm paused.

”Why else would she invite your crush, your worst enemy and a group of total strangers?”