Final

Neptune

It might have been too much of a miracle for me. I shouldn't have believed and trusted her. Giving my heart so carelessly and foolishly for someone like Ahn Yujin. She might have the cutest smile and the most attractive eyes, and she might have ways with her words and actions that always make my heart flutter. She might have stolen my heart, but that doesn't mean she is keeping it.

 

I should have believed Chaeyeon when she said something about her reputation. It’s already too late for me to regret. I already fell in too deep to crawl back out. Maybe I should have noticed the signs, like the way she always glances at her phone whenever she's on a date with me, or the way she always laughs when she's texting her friend, or when she always gets mad at me for peeking at her phone.

 

Those playful glints in her eyes and those obnoxious grins.

 

Maybe I did notice, but chose to ignore.

 

That’s what hope, expectations, and love do to you. They blind you, trick you. I don’t have anyone to blame but my foolish self. My foolish heart and my foolish head.

 

 

“Listen, I did it alright? I made her fall in love with me.”

I knew that voice too well. I hid inside the toilet stall, my heart falling to my stomach in dread.

 

“Yeah so what Yujin? Might as well date her for real”

That must be her friend.

 

Yujin laughed.

 

The laugh that used to bring smile to my face. It sounded so terrifying then.

 

“You promised you'd pay me for it. Don't pretend like you never said it.”

 

I almost lost all of the strength in my legs as I heard every word coming out of , crystal clear and merciless. It's not like her, it's so foreign that I almost open the door to make sure. But I was way too weak and broken for that. I leaned my shoulder on the cold wall to support my weight. I felt my chest ached as my whole world came crashing down on me. My hope, my love, my trust.

 

The denial was strong. The urge to open the door and confront her was almost uncontainable. But my pride and shame was stronger. I held myself back as my own disbelief consumed every part of my heart. My whole body ached in pain.

 

“How much did we bet on?”

 

“40 thousands won.”

 

The disbelief and pain that I felt, turned into rage as the conversation continued. She bet on me, am I that cheap? I thought to myself in pure anger. At that time, I was filled with immense emotions of rage and pain that I didn't know what to do. I just froze as I tried to process everything. My mind wreaked havoc, bustling with memories and emotions.

 

“Fine.”

 

Even after they left, I stood still. My chest hollow in disbelief. I couldn't cry, couldn't scream. My whole body was in pain but I couldn't do anything. I was suffocated, I forgot how to breathe.

 

It was so painful.

 

 

 

 

Chaeyeon is worried since then, I know. I refuse to go out even though its holiday. I have no appetite to eat, and just lock myself in my room most of the time.

 

“Minjoo-yah… please eat”

She says, knocking on my room’s door for the nth times these days.

 

I stay still, lying in my bed, blanket draping over my body. I haven't shed a single tear, my chest is empty and vacant yet it hurts so much. I want to scream but no sound comes out of my mouth, I want to cry but I'm too damaged to let out a tear.

 

My heart keeps shattering and bleeding.

 

I just lay there and let it be.

 

“Minjoo please? I made you soup. Can I at least come in?”

 

My heart aches even more when I hear the worry and desperation in her voice.

 

Chaeyeon has been so caring and patient over me these past few days. Even when I suddenly locked myself out from the world, she never asked why, she never pried. She’s always there beside me eternally, giving me support and strength, giving me love that I don't deserve.

 

I ignored her all the time when she's standing outside, offering foods, offering help, offering comfort. But she never gives up.

 

My heart might still be shattering now, but it's been a few days and I can't ignore her kindness and concern forever. I can't ignore the only person who truly cares about me.

 

I slowly make my way to the door. My body aches with every step that I take. I don't know if it's because of the pain that I’m feeling in my chest, or the fact that I haven't eaten properly for days.

 

Maybe both.

 

I wince at the pain before opening the door slightly.

 

I squint my eyes at the sudden light from outside, infiltrating my dark room.

 

Chaeyeon looks surprised that I actually open the door for her. She then smiles happily in relief.

 

My chest warms up a bit.

 

I open the door wider for her to come in.

 

I can sense her happiness even without her speaking a word as she walks in. I search for the lamp switch and turn all the lights on, blinding my own eyes for a second at the sudden brightness.

 

“Here Minjoo-yah, sit” The blonde smiles at me after I get used to the light, patting the space on the bed beside her.

 

I comply.

 

“Can you eat it by yourself? Or do you want me to feed you?”  She asks innocently. Her eyebrows furrowed in concern at the soup on the tray that she's carrying on her lap.

 

Maybe my heart stops shattering for a bit while watching her.

 

I can't help letting out a small, genuine smile at her cute expression. “I can do it by myself unnie, thanks”

 

She looks taken aback. Maybe because I actually smile after those days of ignoring her in front of my door. Maybe she thought I hated her, knowing how Chaeyeon is.

 

She then beams ever brighter in response.

 

And my heart warms up even more.

 

I take the soup and slowly eat it.

 

Delicious.

 

I widen my eyes at the unbelievably heavenly taste of the dish in my hand. My stomach growls in response as I gobble up the soup quickly. Maybe I didn't realize how hungry I was.

 

“S-slow down. You'll choke” Chaeyeon reminds worriedly.

 

“It's really delicious” I say. My voice muffled by the food inside my mouth.

 

Chaeyeon laughs. “Still. Slow down.”

 

I finish the soup in a few minutes but my stomach is still growling quietly in hunger.

 

Chaeyeon chuckles when I look up at her and give her a thumb up. “It's really good”

 

“You always eat like a baby” She says, wiping my mouth carefully.

 

My heart feels ticklish.

 

Has Chaeyeon always been this…  I stop my own thoughts, trying to find the right word to describe my caring best friend, hmm… heart-shaking?

 

My stomach then growls loudly this time, breaking my own thoughts.

 

Chaeyeon laughs again and I blush bashfully.

 

“I'll cook you something.” She smiles happily before walking out of the room with all the dirty dishes.

 

I watch her as she walks out hurriedly and closes the door behind her.

 

As soon as the door shuts, my room becomes cold and empty, suddenly missing a source of sunshine. Everything feels quiet and suffocating. I feel my heart starting to shatter and break again and it feels too painful for me to bear.

 

Maybe I hate being alone after all.

 

I decide to get up from the bed and walk out of my room.

 

I look around my apartment's living room that I haven’t taken care of these past three days because I've been locking myself inside my room during the holiday.

 

Everything looks clean despite that.

 

I look at the couch and notice a blanket and pillow.

 

Did Chaeyeon do all of this? Did she… did she sleep over on the couch? And spend her holiday meaningless by waiting for me?

 

I feel the guilt tugging on my heart strings.

 

I walk to the kitchen and spot the blonde, happily humming to a song while cooking something.

 

My heart warms up again.

 

“What are you cooking?” I ask.

 

She jumps in surprise and looks back with her eyes wide. “O-oh…” She grins sheepishly, she looks really happy as she smiles at me, “gonna grill some beef for you”

 

I hum while nodding my head.

 

She continues her work, cutting the raw beef on the cutting board skillfully.

 

“Unnie, did you clean my apartment by yourself these past few days, wasting your holiday, and sleeping over on the couch?” I ask.

 

She chokes in surprise before breaking into a coughing fit.

 

I hurriedly take a glass of water and give it to the older girl. I pat on her back as she gulps down the water quickly.

 

“I-I did” she answers finally after calming down, smiling solemnly at me, “I'm sorry I did so without your consent. I was worried about you.”

 

My heart feels ticklish again. What is that?

 

I smile, this time wider. “Thank you unnie.” I hug her from the side. “I'm sorry”

 

“I-it's fine Minjoo-yah. It really breaks my heart when you're hurting yourself like that.” I look up at her and she looks away, her ear red.

 

I take a step back and break the hug as she probably wants to continue cooking the meat. “I'm sorry for worrying you unnie. Thank you.” I say gratefully.

 

She looks at me with a smile, “your welcome. And let me finish this so we can eat together.”

 

I nod and walk away from the kitchen, giving her time to cook.

 

I sit on the couch.

 

Part of my heart still shatters ever so slowly, but some small parts are patched up with warmth and care.

 

I wonder if that's because of Chaeyeon.

 

 

 

 

I am getting better.

 

I feel that myself.

 

I might have not moved on completely yet. Maybe from the grudge, the anger, the disbelief, and the broken trust. I haven't shed a single tear as well. The wound in my heart is too deep and wide.

 

Chaeyeon accompanies and helps me through my hard time. She stays beside me, always being patient over my heavy mood swings. She's always taking care of my meals and well-being despite me being so broken and damaged.

 

I am really lucky to be her friend.

 

I spend my holiday healing my mind and broken heart.

 

But with each day passing by, the more anxious I become.

 

How am I supposed to go to school and see Yujin?

 

What will I do, I'm scared. I can't control my own emotions. I don't know whether I would break down in front of her or slap her out of rage.

 

I can't trust myself.

 

I look at Chaeyeon beside me who has her eyes focused on the screen while munching on the popcorn she made earlier.

 

I can't depend on her all the time too. Chaeyeon is kind enough to take care of my broken heart all these times.

 

I turn my head and stare at the movie without watching it.

 

What do I do?

 

 

 

 

The day comes faster than I wish it to be.

 

Chaeyeon stays beside me as we walk through the school gate. She insisted to walk to school together, I can tell she's worried and I’m just thankful she's staying beside me if something was to happen. I tighten the grip on my backpack, my broken heart hammering inside my chest, feeling nervous and scared.

 

We walk through the bustling hallway. Chaeyeon cheerfully greets some of the people she knows along the way, while I keep my head down to avoid making eye contact with anyone.

 

I just want to get to my class safely.

 

Just then, someone blocks our way and we stop in our track.

 

Oh god no.

 

“Minjoo unnie?” She calls and I gulp.

 

I slowly lift my head and am faced with a worried looking Yujin.

 

What an act.

 

My chest starts to ache.

 

“Why didn't you answer my texts? I was worried.” She furrowed her eyebrows and I almost fall for her act, again. The stupid, idiotic part of me wants to just hug her and act like I never heard those words coming out of her own mouth. But the pain in my chest reminds me yet again of all the sufferings she has given me.

 

“Don't act like you care.” I whisper, there's an immense hatred in every word that I say to her. My chest aches tremendously, “I know everything.” I say, staring straight at her surprised eyes.

 

Chaeyeon stays quiet beside me.

 

Yujin chuckles nervously, “what are you talking about unnie? Let's go, I'll walk you to your class.” She says, reaching out to hold my hand.

 

I move my hand away. “Don't touch me” I hiss. My eyes sharp as I stare at her, “don't you lay a ing finger at me.”

 

I can hear surprised gasps all around the hallway as people start to crowd around us.

 

Yujin looks around and chuckles in disbelief, “is that how you're going to act now? Don't act so high and almighty. Have shame for yourself. You fell for me didn't you? Just play along so I can get my ing money.” She whispers with a smug look on her face.

 

I stare at her in disbelief and rage.

 

Everything then happens so fast.

 

I stand frozen as I watch the scene unfolds in front of me. The whole hall is filled with surprised and panicked shouts.

 

Yujin falls down to the ground with Chaeyeon on top of her.

 

I cover my mouth as Chaeyeon punches the girl's face with all of her strength, again and again. The look on her face is murderous, and it scares me.

 

“Someone call the teachers!!” Other students shout, some are watching in fascination and some are recording with their phones.

 

“S-stop, Chaeyeon unnie!” I shout as I try to pull her away, only to be stopped by other students behind me. They pull me into the crowd, “don't interfere, you’ll get hurt!” They hold my arms.

 

I watch horrified when Yujin strikes back and pushes Chaeyeon down to the ground. “What the is your problem?!” She shouts angrily as she starts punching her hard.

 

Tears fall down on my face as I stand there helplessly. “STOP IT YUJIN CHAEYEON!” I shout as my chest tightens in fear.

 

Chaeyeon strikes back again and they roll around on the ground. “She ing loved you.” She punches, her eyes are blinded by rage. “She loved you yet you used her, you ing trash. You don't deserve to live.” She says between her gritted teeth, punching her again and again.

 

Chaeyeon is stronger, I know she is. Yujin is now lying down on the floor helplessly, in the brink of unconsciousness as Chaeyeon keeps on punching her mercilessly.

 

“What is happening here? BREAK THE FIGHT! LEE CHAEYEON STOP IT RIGHT NOW!” The teachers then finally come to the scene and pull her away forcefully.

 

Chaeyeon is glaring at Yujin who's now unconscious, still in rage as tears start to flow down her face.

 

“CALL THE AMBULANCE!”

 

“They're on their way!”

 

My vision starts to blur as my tears fall down my face uncontrollably. My chest tightens even more within every second passing by.

 

I gasp for air as the world spins.

 

Everything becomes pitch black.

 

 

 

 

 

I wake up in the infirmary.

 

My head is still aching. I blink my eyes, adjusting my sight to the light.

 

Feeling the weight on my leg, I look down and Chaeyeon is there, holding my hand and resting her head on my thigh as she sleeps.

 

Her lips and cheeks are bruised, the blood has dried up.

 

I remember the scene and my heart swells up in concern.

 

I caress her blonde locks gently and she stirs up.

 

“Minjoo?” She blinks her eyes before sitting up straight in hurry when she notices I'm awake. A worried look on her face as she stands up, “are you okay? How are you feeling right now? Do I need to call the nurse?” She bombards me with questions, looking me up and down worriedly.

 

I chuckle at her ridiculous act.

 

I take her hand and pull her closer, signalling her to sit on the bed.

 

She looks relieved but still wary as she sits down, facing me.

 

“Are you okay, Minjoo?” She asks again, her eyebrows furrowed.

 

“I should have asked you that instead.” I reach out to her wound and she flinches a bit. I cup her bruised cheek gently, “what were you thinking…” I mumble, staring at her.

 

“I'm sorry” She looks guilty as she holds my hand on her cheek. She stares back at me, “I… I don't know what took over me earlier. I guess I can't bear seeing you hurt like that.” She says gently.

 

My heart warms up. My stomach tickles.

 

“Look at you, being hurt because of me instead.” My eyes start to feel warm, but I hold back the welled up tears.

 

Chaeyeon stares at me with a look I've never seen her giving me before. A look so deep and vulnerable, like she's opening all of her heart for me, like she's holding her heart on her sleeves as she stares deep into my orbs.

 

Like she's giving me all the love inside her.

 

My chest aches.

 

“It's alright.” she whispers, wiping the tears that fell down my cheeks without me realizing.

 

“I'm worried about you.” She says smiling gently, “you know you can cry Minjoo-yah. I'm always here for you.”

 

I burst up in tears and she pull me into her embrace without a word. I cry on her shoulder as my heart aches painfully inside my chest. All of those pain I've kept for myself these past few days suddenly resurface. All of the tears I didn't cry, all the tears I ignore. I sob loudly as I grip Chaeyeon's shirt tightly.

 

She caresses my brown hair gently, whispering sweet nothings in my ears as I let all of my tears, anger, pain, and memories out.

 

All of the heavy weight in my chest vanish.

 

I feel exhausted after, drained but relieved.

 

I wipe the remaining tears on my face as I lean backwards.

 

“I'm sorry I wet your uniform.” I look up at her in guilt, “and I look so terrible now” I sigh, hiding my face behind my hair.

 

Chaeyeon cups my cheeks and I look up at her confused expression, “terrible?” She tilts her head. “You're always beautiful, Minjoo” she says nonchalantly.

 

The ticklish feeling in my stomach and heart is back as my cheeks reddened. I avert my gaze away from Chaeyeon's affectionate stare, “cheesy” I mumble.

 

Chaeyeon chuckles, “I'm not. I'm just stating fact.” She shrugs.

 

“Shush” I punch her shoulder playfully and she lets out her usual, weird and loud but endearing, laugh.

 

I smile shyly as she fixes my messy hair.

 

“What did the principle give to you as a punishment?” I ask her.

 

She grins sheepishly, “he gave me a warning letter and called my parents. Because my grades are on top of the class, he only gave a light punishment.”

 

“...and?” I stare at her questioningly.

 

“Just three days without school.” She smiles before her face falls, “oh wait… three days without you then.”

 

I laugh at her pouting face. She looks so cute like a child. I pat her head, “I can come visit you at your house after school. Don't worry unnie.” I smile.

 

Her face then lit up and I chuckle again.

 

Chaeyeon is really weird. She acts so cool and tough, but she also acts like a baby with her soft heart and bright smile. Being with her like this makes me see her in a whole different light.

 

I stare at her who's now excitedly and animatedly talking about something I can't quite grasp. But I laugh when she laughs anyway.

 

I feel my smile getting wider as I keep on staring at her.

 

My heart can't stop fluttering and I don't know why.

 

 

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

 

 

Minjoo has gotten better.

 

I flip through my notes in front of me but I can't get her out of my head. I lean back on my chair as my mind is filled with her smiles and laughs, her beautiful, shy and flustered face.

 

I close my book.

 

It's been a few weeks after the incident. Minjoo has moved on slowly. My wounds have healed completely and Yujin has come back to school but she seems to be avoiding both Minju and I as the whole school knows about her dirt. I’m guessing her pride and ego are too big to confront or apologize to us. I have not talked or apologized to her either as I can't seem to face her without having the urge to punch her in the face again.

 

Nevertheless Minjoo has been happy and that's all that matters. She smiles and laughs more and that makes me happy too.

 

Minjoo and I get even closer these past few weeks as I stay by her side in the midst of everything. Well, what can I say? I love her.

 

We've been close friends since she first enrolled in my high school with her clumsy self. It's been almost a year since my first meeting with the girl who bumped into me and splashed apple juice all over my uniform. Since then we've been close friends, weirdly, and since then as well, I have fallen in love with her.

 

The urge to confess is uncontainable at times, but the fear of being rejected and losing our friendship is bigger. I held myself back countless of times for a whole year, until Ahn Yujin came into her life.

 

I still remember how Minjoo couldn't stop talking about this freshman that excels in basketball and has the most charming smile, according to her. My heart broke whenever she stared at the said girl with the brightest glint in her eyes when she never gave me the same look.

 

I decided to let my feelings die down in pain when they eventually got together, with only God knows how.

 

I sensed something was a bit off at the sudden news but thought it was only my jealous and envious self. I gave her and myself a space, letting her walk home with Yujin instead of me, letting her eat lunch with Yujin instead of me, letting her hold hands with Yujin instead of me.

 

Yujin has become Minjoo's source of happiness and warmth. She has become her sun and I can't do anything about it.

 

I can only watch like Neptune; cold, vacant and hollow, watching at 2.7 billion miles away from the earth.

 

Until one day I overheard the basketball team talking about them.

 

“Yujin really got together with that girl? Kim Minjoo?”

 

One of them scoffed, “I don't know what's behind her motive, but I can assure you, she's not taking it seriously.”

 

“Really? But they look good though.”

 

“Don't make me laugh. Ahn Yujin is not the kind of girl the students portrayed her to be. She's a bully, someone who always does thing for her own selfish needs. Just watch.”

 

I should have warned Minjoo more about it, but what could I do when she looked so happy about her relationship?

 

What they said turned out to be nothing but the truth.

 

I wake up from my daydream when my phone buzzes. It’s Minjoo.

 

‘Unnie! Go out of your house! I'm waiting outside~’

 

I look out of the window.

 

It's raining heavily though?

 

‘What are you saying? It's raining so hard outside. Don't be ridiculous.’ I reply curiously, staring at my phone.

 

It doesn't take her more than a second to reply back.

 

‘I'm serious let's play outside in the rain! Come on I'm starting to get cold now.’

 

Is she serious? I furrow my eyebrows worriedly before dashing down the stairs, earning a weird look from my younger sister.

 

“Where are you going unnie? It’s raining outside” Chaeryoung raises her eyebrows.

 

“Just out for a bit.” I reply carelessly as I take the light blue umbrella and wear my shoes.

 

She scoffs, “I'm pretty sure it's because Minjoo is standing outside waiting for you. Whipped culture” she teases with an amused grin.

 

“Yah, how do you even- whatever. I'm going.”

 

“Go confess and kiss her!” She shouts before I close the door. I shake my head at her ridiculous remark.

 

As soon as I'm outside, I shiver at the cold weather. Then I see Minjoo twirling around in her casual shirt and denim shorts. She looks like an angel with her brown hair drenched in rain, and with that smile on her face.

 

I stare in awe.

 

“Unnie! Chaeyeon unnie! What are you doing standing there? Come here!” She raises her voice a little to be heard amidst the heavy rain. She gestures with her hand for me to come closer.

 

I gulp and open the umbrella, protecting myself from the rain as I quickly walk to where she is.

 

“Yah! Minjoo, you should have brought an umbrella or something! You'll get sick” I say as I put the umbrella over both of our heads.

 

“Aww come on unnie” She wipes her face and I swear my heart thumps inside my chest loudly at her effortless beauty. She pouts and my stomach flutters, “let's play just this once okay?” She grins excitedly.

 

Minjoo can be so random at times but she's so adorable.

 

She takes the umbrella from my hand while I'm lost in my own thoughts and puts it down on the ground.

 

I groan at the sudden exposure of the cold and heavy rain on my body and she laughs.

 

She then twirls around in the middle of my garden happily as I watch her. My chest clenches in admiration and again uncontainable love. The urge to just pull her and kiss her is undeniably strong.

 

I walk closer to her, making sure of her safety. “Be careful”

 

Minjoo laughs.

 

Ba-dum.

 

Shut up heart.

 

I stay close to her, watching her quietly.

 

An angel who descends from the heaven, with her bright and beautiful smile.

 

A clumsy angel.

 

Just as I thought, after a while, Minjoo spins around and stumbles upon a small rock. She squeals as she loses her balance.

 

I react quickly without thinking, reaching out at her flailing arm and pull her to my body. I secure my arm around her waist, holding her close to me.

 

She hangs her arms around my neck in reflex. Her eyes wide in shock at all the commotion.

 

Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

 

My heart jumps around in my chest as she stands close to me. My throat becomes dry as I stare at her beautiful features, from her eyes down to her lips.

 

I gulp.

 

I notice her rosy cheeks and my heart beats even faster. It feels like the time slows down as I contemplate on what to do. All I can hear is the sound of my racing heartbeat in my ears as I stare at the girl before me. My heart urges me but my mind stops me in fear.

 

Oh god… she makes me go crazy.

 

 

“I'm only honest when it rains.”

 

 

I lean in.

 

Ba-dum.

 

I can see her gaze flutters down to my lips and my heart thumps again in my chest. Every vein in my body feels like it's going to burst.

 

I lean even closer until our noses touch.

 

She doesn't move away.

 

Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

 

it.

 

I tilt my head a little and gently capture her lips.

 

It tastes cold, like the rain, but it ignites every part of my body, setting me on fire. I can feel every inch of my body explodes. Fireworks shoot out and my brain melts at the softness of her lips.

 

She kisses back.

 

I might go crazy.

 

I lose my breath, my lungs burning, my heart bursting.

 

We pull away, gasping for air.

 

I open my eyes as I pant, the feeling was incredible. I stare at her closed eyes, her chest heaves up and down.

 

My chest tightens at the beauty in front of me. My whole body warms up despite the cold and merciless rain.

 

I want to feel it again.

 

 

“If I time it right, the thunder breaks when I open my mouth.”

 

 

 

Her eyes flutter open. She looks at me and somehow I understand.

 

I lean in slowly and kiss her again.

 

This time deeper, and more passionate as I pull her closer by her waist. She does the same with my neck.

 

There is no space between us as I gently capture her lower lips.

 

Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

 

God.

 

We pull away once again, breathing heavily.

 

This girl is making me crazy.

 

And we do it again and again.

 

No matter how long, no matter how much, it still feels amazing. My heart and my whole body keeps exploding, sending me to heaven.

 

I love her.

 

“I wanna tell you but I don't know how.”

 

 

 

 

 

Unexpectedly after all of that, Minjoo avoids me the next day. Well, not unexpectedly since I actually expected that. I can't seem to face her either without being embarrassed of what we did. Outside of my house, in the middle of the garden, under the rain, FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

 

What the hell was I thinking? I face-palm as the teacher comes into the classroom. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

 

But it still feels amazing.

 

I sigh.

 

“You've been sighing a lot and it’s annoying. What is wrong Chaeyeon-ah?” The duck like girl beside me asks.

 

I blush again. “I- uh. Well…”

 

She stares at me suspiciously, “When I met Yuri earlier between the break, she said Minjoo is also out of her head today. Did something happen between you two?”

 

I chuckle nervously, “It's really nothing Yena” I avert my gaze away.

 

“You at lying” Yena laughs, “here I’ll give you tips okay. I might be stupid, but if you kissed someone out of the blue without saying anything before or after-hand, it's going to be awkward.”

 

I choke on my own saliva. I stare at her with my eyes wide in surprise, “h-how the hell-?”

 

She stifles a laugh as she points at me teasingly. “I KNEW IT! YOU KISSED HER! DAMN LEE CHAEYEON YOU SMOOTH !” She whispers aggressively.

 

My cheeks flush as I punch her arm. “Shut up!” I hiss. She whines in pain while holding her right arm.

 

“Lee Chaeyeon, Choi Yena, keep your voices down” the teacher warns.

 

“Y-yes sir!”

 

I glare at the girl beside me who still has a huge teasing grin on her face. She then pats my back and nods her head proudly, “I admit you’re amazing for that courage my friend. But like I said, you need to clear up the situation or it'll get awkward. Don't ruin your chance.”

 

I sigh again. She has her point.

 

 

 

I wait in front of the gate nervously, tapping my foot on the ground while pondering on what to say to Minjoo. I bit my lip as my brain is swarming with words and thoughts and memories. Mess.

 

I want to run away but like Yena said, I can’t keep the relationship hanging in an ambiguous state. I take a deep breath and release it, gathering my courage.

 

“Chaeyeon unnie?”

 

I turn around and there she is, standing beautifully without even trying.

 

I might have missed her too much even though it's only been a day.

 

“Hey Minjoo-yah.”  I smile, my heart beating loudly in my chest. “Do you want to walk home together?” I ask, trying not to sound nervous or awkward.

 

She nods and smiles slightly, “since today is Friday, movie night in my apartment?” She asks, looking at me hopefully and my heart jumps around.

 

I grin, “Perfect.”

 

We then walk together down the street, side by side. A slight space and an unusual awkwardness are present between us. I try to think of something to say as the tension thickens.

 

“Y-you know” I start, “I'm sorry for yesterday.”

 

I take a deep breath, “I mean, I'm sorry for doing it without saying anything to you afterwards.” I keep my gaze to the street in front of me as I talk. “I guess I was not brave enough”

 

Minjoo stays quiet.

 

We then arrive in front of the apartment and I stop walking.

 

I need to say it.

 

“Minjoo” I turn to look at the brown haired girl beside me.

 

She looks up, her cheeks red.

 

My heart swells as I look into her confused and flustered eyes, with nothing but love and adoration for the girl.

 

I put my heart on my sleeves, vulnerable for her to see.

 

I take a deep breath.

 

 

 

“I love you”

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

 

 

My heart thumps. The butterflies in my stomach wreak havoc. My chest tightens and warms up. She is staring at me with utmost sincerity and I feel myself falling.

 

Falling for her, for my best friend.

 

I can't stop thinking about the incredible kiss under the rain yesterday, and whenever I remember it, I feel so confused and flustered.

 

I thought I never saw Chaeyeon as more than a friend, someone who supports me more than anyone. But when she stood up for me, when she looked at me with this look, somehow my chest warms up and my stomach tickles every time. Somehow I feel something I have never felt before, even when I was with Yujin.

 

The feeling when I'm with Chaeyeon, is unrivaled.

 

And also that kiss. That beautiful, amazing kiss.

 

I didn't know a kiss could feel that wonderful. It felt like a fairy tale, like my whole body exploded and fireworks shot out behind my closed eyes. The world felt like it stopped, and only Chaeyeon with her lips on my lips that actually mattered.

 

I thought I only saw her as a mere friend. But friends don't kiss and feel that way.

 

I look up to her hopeful eyes and she stares at me, waiting for my response in fear.

 

Instead of answering, I take her hand in mine and drag her into my apartment.

 

My heart keeps skipping as we make our way to my room.

 

As soon as the door closes behind us, I turn around and face her confused and bewildered look.

 

Adorable.

 

I don't know what's taking over me as I step closer to her and peck her lips quickly.

 

She widens her eyes and touches her lips immediately after I take a step back.

 

Her cheeks flush.

 

My heart warms up at her cuteness and I chuckle.

 

I can feel my cheeks warming up as well.

 

“I might have fallen in love with you too.” I finally answer, smiling shyly to her.

 

She looks at me in disbelief before breaking into a huge, radiant, and happy grin.

 

She pulls me into a tight embrace and I laugh in pleasant surprise.

 

I can feel her heartbeats matching mine, fast and irregular. I buried my head on the crook of her neck as I put my arms around her neck and hug her back.

 

Everything feels right. Everything fits like a puzzle.

 

She's my sun. I smile happily to myself, feeling secured and relieved.

 

She breaks the hug, keeping her arms around my waist as she stares at me lovingly, like I'm the only one who matter, like I'm her world.

 

I avert my gaze shyly, unable to contain the feeling she gives me when she stares at me like that. It feels like my heart is going to burst.

 

“Since when?” I then ask curiously, glancing up at her.

 

“Since when what?” She stares at me with her head tilted.

 

“You like me” I say bashfully.

 

Chaeyeon smiles, “I always do Minjoo.”

 

“Don't tell me since that time I spilled juice all over you” I stare at her in disbelief.

 

She laughs cutely again. “I might have fallen for your clumsiness back then.”

 

“Seriously??” I widen my eyes.

 

She chuckles, “let's say I’ve always loved you as more than a friend, Minjoo-yah. I was a coward, always scared of rejection.” She stares at me with that look again and my heart jumps.

 

I blush.

 

How can I be so dense before?

 

“But it doesn't matter now that I have you here inside my arms.” She continues and my stomach flutters.

 

“Now that you're officially mine” I look up to her and she leans in.

 

My heart thumps so loudly inside my ears as our noses touch.

 

I almost lose my breath.

 

“You won't mind if I do, right?” She teases with a grin on her face.

 

Ba-dum.

 

Damn attractive.

 

My heart keeps thumping and the butterflies in my stomach won't calm down.

 

The urge is too strong.

 

I pull her neck impatiently and crash our lips together.

 

She immediately pulls me closer, our bodies touching.

 

Chaeyeon captures my lower lips and kisses me passionately. Giving all of her love and desire.

 

I kiss back just as much.

 

God this feels so good. I can feel my heart bursting with pleasure and my whole body heats up.

 

After a while we both break the kiss, gasping for air, panting breathlessly.

 

Chaeyeon then rests her forehead on mine. She smiles while closing her eyes.

 

“I really do love you.” She whispers.

 

My heart warms up as I smile happily in return. “I really do love you too.”

 

She opens her eyes and leans in again.

 

Ba-dum.

 

I do love her. I love my best friend.

 

 

 

They spend the rest of their day in their own world, a new love blossoming between them as they spend the whole day beside each other, keeping each other warm and full.

 

Minjoo's heart is mended.

 

It is filled with love.

 

It is filled with Lee Chaeyeon.

 

And she doesn't mind.

 

 

 

__________________

AN:

Thank you for reading!