Chapter 2

Of Broken Dreams and Shattered Hearts

It was a beautiful day.

You can see the sun shining, hear the birds chirping, taste the sweet air and… hear the exasperated huffs of a young woman having trouble carrying her grocery bags.

A beautiful day indeed.

The woman was busy balancing her grocery bags and the phone on her ear with her other hand. She has short brown hair and a soft smile on her face as she talks to the other person on the end of the line.

“Yes, mom…” The woman fixes the bags on her hand and chuckles “I got all the stuff mom, I won’t die”

You better not sleep in a dump young lady “The apartment is all clean ma”

How about school? “I’m going to school next week”

Your roommate? “Actually, now that you asked. I haven’t really met my roommate yet”

They might be a murderer “My landlord said she’s nice”

Are you hiding a boy then? “No, I do not have a boyfriend.”

Does your apartment have indoor plumbing? The girl shakes her head softly “Look ma, I know you care but I’m practically a grown woman now” She hears a sad sigh from the other end and she can’t help but smile.

She stops in the middle of the sidewalk, looks up the sky and ponders for a bit “I’ll send you guys postcards, I know how much you love having those things” the line was silent for a while.

You better not get into drugs Seungwan

Now that's just preposterous, the girl named Seungwan laughs “I won't be involved with drugs, I promise mom”

I love you so much, and I miss you my little wan. “Alright, I love you too! I miss you already” with a last goodbye she ends the call. The young lady puts her phone back in her pocket and wanders, she hasn’t memorized the layout of the city yet but she’s getting the hang of it.

She was walking for a good few minutes until she stops in front of a café and the thought of coffee sounds good right now, she's secretly hoping they have tea though. She reaches for the door handle but stopped when she hears a voice calling her name from afar.

“Wendy unnie!” She clutches on to her grocery bags, ready to defend herself by smacking the out of a stranger.

Great, her first day in Seoul and someone already has hold of her birth certificates. She slowly turns around and felt relief when she recognizes who it was. Walking towards her was a young girl waving her hands.

Seungwan drops her groceries besides her, kneels on one knee and opens her arms for a hug. Time seems to slow down for Seungwanuntil the younger girl skids to a stop in front of her, not enthusiastically jumping into her arms like old times.

The girl facepalms and silently mutters “Seriously unnie?” Seungwan her head to the side and forms an “O” when she takes in everything in front of her. Nice figure, makeup, and s?

Her little friend wasn’t so little anymore, for she has grown into a beautiful and attractive young woman.

Seungwan hurriedly stands up properly and dusts off the dirt on her pants, she sheepishly scratches the back of her head and smiles.

“I did not expect you to grow up so fast Yeri” the girl named Yeri giggles and hugs the older one.

“It’s been two years Wendy unnie” they hugged for a few good seconds and broke away. Yeri touched the older one’s hair and commented on how much it suited her.

"It looks good on you unnie" Yeri whispers wih a soft smile on her face. 

“Oh, and don’t call me Wendy anymore,” Seungwan waves her hand in front of her. “It’s Seungwan here”

“Seungwan…unnie?” Yeri tries it but cringes “It sounds so foreign unnie”

“Well, Wendy is a foreign name and you never once complained about it”

“Mainly because it sounded nice when I say it”


The pair walk around the place for a bit, with Yeri mostly teaching Seungwan how to use Google Maps just in case the latter gets lost.

“Want to get some ice cream kid?” Seungwan asks the girl beside her.

Yeri sighs, 20 doesn’t sound like a kid to her. “I’m not a kid anymore unnie”

“Vanilla or chocolate?” the older one asks.

“Definitely Chocolate”

“See? You’re still a kid” Seungwan pointed out and sticks out her tongue.

Look who's the kid now? “Whatever you say unnie”

Yeri brought her unnie to her favorite ice cream place since Seungwan has zero knowledge with the streets and shops around here. Seungwan watches as her friend enthusiastically waves to the person behind the counter, Yeri was always a little social butterfly. It amazes Seungwan how that kid can easily make the people around her, her friend.

"Hey, Taeyeon unnie" The person behind the counter looks up from her lap and flashes a big smile towards the younger.

"Yerim! How are you? It's been so long since you last been here" The woman named Taeyeon leans over her counter and pats the youngers' cheek. The two continue to catch up and Seungwan doesn't want to intrude so she looks around the place. Blue tone, aesthetic vibe and nice cold air-conditioning. Yes. Just what Seungwan wanted.

She feels a tap on her shoulder and turns around to see a grinning Yerim, seeing that big smile she can't help but smile back. Yerim motions for the older to come closer and she obliges, Seungwan feels delicate hands cup over her ear and she's curious as to why the younger has to be secretive.

"Taeyeon unnie is gay by the way" Seungwan's eyes widen and she coughs on her own spit. She can hear Yeri's satanic giggles as she tries to compose herself in front of her old friend and this stranger in front of her. She straightens up her back and awkwardly smiles towards this woman named 'Taeyeon'.

"So you must be the Wendy, Yeri has been talking about" Seungwan is surprised, she didn't know that the little devil talks about her. She doesn't really want to know what that devil tells other people anyway.

"Unnie! That's TMI!" She watches as Taeyeon laughs at Yeri's remark and leans on the counter to hold out a hand.

"My name is Taeyeon and I'm a good friend of Yeri" Taeyeon introduces herself and smiles, Seungwan looks back and forth between her and the open hand. After much inner debate on whether she would shake it or not, she has come to the conclusion to politely shake it. However...

Since Taeyeon held out her right hand, Seungwan HAD to use her left hand to reach out for it. You can already imagine how awkward it was and how comical it could have been if you were to witness it firsthand (A/N: Ha gettit? no? okay) When they finally, properly shook hands Yeri releases a sigh of relief and slaps the older's shoulder when Taeyeon went to answer a call.

The pair went and sat on a table nearby as Taeyeon tells them to sit for a bit.

"Wendy unnie, what tf was that" Yeri loud whispers to the airhead in front of her.

"I don't know!" Seungwan throws her hands above her head to emphasize how clueless she was when it happened.

Yeri leans back on her chair and crosses her arms "That was very painful to watch" 

"Not as painful as when you just watched me about to get hit, oh! and by your own car nonetheless" Seungwan counterattacks with a small pout.

"It was just one-time unnie" 

Their argument was cut-off when two cups of chocolate ice cream are placed in front of them, the pair look up to see a Taeyeon who's having a hard time holding her laughter in.

"I didn't know what flavor you like Seungwan so I got you the same thing as Yerim" Seungwan smiles towards the older woman and nods.

"It's fine, I like chocolate too" Taeyeon smiles happily and grabs a chair beside her and sits down between Seungwan and Yeri.

She leans back and points towards Yeri "So... you almost got run over by this kid huh?" 

Both older women laugh as the younger groans loudly with her hands covering her face.

"It was one time! I swear!"

Seungwan smiles softly as these two people in front of her have fun talking with her. Who knew that so many things can happen in just two years.