2/2

Her boyfriend

"Do you have a boyfriend yet, Nayeon?" Sandara asked as she watched a 7-year-old Nayeon play on the floor.

"I do!" she replied confidently.

"Oh? Do I know him?"

Nayeon looked around the room and grin when she found what she was looking for. With a very decisive finger, she pointed to a short haired who was busy playing with Jisoo on the opposite end. "Jeongyeon is my boyfriend," she declared proudly.

Sandara giggled as she turned amused eyes towards Nayeon’s mother, Jihyo. "Jeongyeon?"

"You should ask her how they got together," Jihyo replied as she leaned forward with a smile.

The woman turned her attention back to the little girl on the floor. "And how did you two become boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Jeongyeon always does the hard things for me. Like when we go to the playground and we climb the tower, Jeongyeon would go first and help me up. And then when we climb down, Jeongyeon would go first and help me down. And then we would get the same kind of juice together."

"So who asked who out?" Sandara prodded. The child's response was a blank look. Realization dawned onto the older woman as a smile grew onto her lips. "So if no one asked, how do you know you two are dating?"

"Jeongyeon is my boyfriend," Nayeon declared sternly, rising to stand on her feet.

"Ok," Jihyo chimed in. "Why don't you bring your boyfriend over so we can meet her?"

"Mother is being silly. You already met Jeongyeon," Nayeon replied with a giggle. But even as she said this, she turned her body around to start looking.

As soon as her daughter was out of earshot, Jihyo spoke. "She gets angry when people doubt her relationship. She was not happy with me when I tried to tell her that Jeongyeon can't be her boyfriend because Jeongyeon is a girl."

"It's cute, really," Sandara chuckled. "By her logic then, Jisoo is Jennie’s boyfriend."

"What is it, Nayeon?" a new voice whined.

"Mother wants to talk to you," Nayeon replied as she dragged the girl with her. "And Auntie Kim doesn't believe that you're my boyfriend, so you have to tell them yourself."

By this point, they've reached the couch the adults were relaxing on. Sandara watched their interaction with amusement while Jihyo could only watch with a defeated look.

"I'm not your boyfriend. Being a boyfriend is such a pain," Jeongyeon replied.

"We're already together, stop being so annoying about it," Nayeon stomped, trying to hide her upset.

"When did that happen?" Jeongyeon asked blankly.

Nayeon’s eyes started to water and her lips started to tremble. Her voice was small when she asked, "We're not?"

"Stupid Jeongyeon!" Jisoo shouted as she appeared with Jennie by her side. "Stop making Nayeon sad!"

"I didn't do anything!" Jeongyeon replied indignantly. "Nayeon said I was her boyfriend, but I don't remember this!"

Tears started to fall from Nayeon’s eyes, but she didn't cry out loud. Instead, sniffles were heard as she climbed onto the couch to reach her mother. Jihyo encircled her arms around her little girl and allowed Nayeon to bury herself.

"Now now, Jeongyeon. You shouldn't say such mean things to Nayeon. Look, you made her cry," Sandara tease-scolded.

"But... but..." Jeongyeon mumbled helplessly, not knowing what to do.

"Jeongyeon! Say sorry and admit that you were wrong!" Jisoo chimed.

"But... but..." Jeongyeon continued on helplessly. "Easy for you to say. She didn't say you were her boyfriend."

"Ah, of course not," Jennie chimed in. When she noticed that she captured everyone's attention, she shrunk behind Jisoo and continued. "Jisoo is my boyfriend."

Sandara quirked her eyebrows at the two, silently questioning her daughter. The only response she received was a nonchalant shrug and an affirmation. "Uh huh. I'm Jennie’s boyfriend. So I can't be Nayeon’s boyfriend too. It would be cheating if I have two girlfriends."

Jeongyeon stared at Jisoo first. Then, she turned her attention to Jennie. Lastly, she watched Nayeon silently for a few seconds more than the previous two. Suddenly, she bolted out of the room, leaving everyone to stare questioningly at each other. The room was silent for about two minutes, save for Nayeon’s sniffles, until Jeongyeon re-emerged just as quickly as she disappeared with a determined look plastered to her face.

She held a juicebox out to the other redhead and declared, "Have some juice and stop crying, Nayeon."

A smile slowly appeared on Nayeon’s lips as she climbed off of her mother and approached Jeongyeon for the juicebox. Before reaching out to take the juice, however, Nayeon asked a question. "Jeongyeon is my boyfriend, right?"

Jeongyeon gave a curt nod as she looked away. "No crying, okay?"

Nayeon nodded happily and gave Jeongyeon a hug before taking the offered juice. "Okay!"