Prologue

The House on the Lake

PROLOGUE

 

TRANSCRIPT

EVENING NEWS HOUR

 

October 20, 2002

 

KANG JIYU:  I’m Kang Jiyu and this is the 8:00 news hour. Tonight’s top story is the mysterious death of a local schoolteacher. 

 

(OTS PHOTO OF VICTIM DISPLAYED)

 

KANG: The horrifying incident occurred just outside of the woman’s home late last night.

 

(START B-ROLL FOOTAGE OF CRIME SCENE EXTERIOR)

 

KANG (VO): The victim, whose name is Jung Duri, was found by a neighbor this afternoon, hours after the incident occurred, lying facedown in her driveway with scratches and bruises covering her entire body.  So far no signs of foul play have been discovered, leaving law enforcement officials puzzled as to how Ms. Jung’s death might have occurred. Park Seohyun is live at the scene with more on this story.

 

(END B-ROLL FOOTAGE)

(CUT TO LIVE SHOT OF REPORTER AT THE CRIME SCENE)

 

PARK SEOHYUN: Thank you, Jiyu. The neighbor who found the victim says that she has lived alone for as long as he has lived next door: the past 7 years. Police are still investigating the situation, but we do know that the woman had a security camera at her front door; the police are hoping this will lead to some insight on what occurred here last nigh— wait, I’m getting some new information as we speak. They have pulled the footage from the camera… there is still no evidence pointing in any particular direction… wait, we have it? I have been advised to inform you that this footage may be disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised.

 

(START CCTV FOOTAGE)

 

[The footage is seen in grayscale infrared. It is completely still for a moment, and then

a woman is seen running from the bottom of the screen into the driveway. As she approaches the road, the woman appears to be lifted from the ground and hurled down onto the pavement. She lays there, motionless, for a few seconds.]

 

(END CCTV FOOTAGE)

 

PARK SEOHYUN: Oh my god… oh, uh… It’s unclear what we just looked at but the footage will be evaluated and hopefully the police will be able to get to the bottom of this soon. Back to you, Jiyu… Did you guys see that sh—